on December 13, 2012
I had one of these Verizon Home Phone Connect devices and service about a year ago and it was horrible!

I thought it would be a cost effective way to have another phone number independent of our main telephone service that we have through our cable provider. If the cable ever went out due to weather or whatever, we would still have Verizon Home Phone Connect. I also intended to use it as my work phone for my home office and for conference calls.

The Verizon Home Phone Connect relies on their cellular network, which is usually very good in my area, but the audio quality was often worse than my Verizon cellphone. It was noticeably worse than our old telephone company landline and our phone service through our cable provider. The audio quality was especially bad on conference calls if I was even able to dial-in to a conference call at all. The Verizon Home Phone Connect would often mess up the touch tones necessary to enter the conference call ID, passcode, etc. forcing me to redial the touch tones just to get in. It was a joke for business use.

I made adjustments to the system per their tech instructions and even called Verizon a couple times to see if they could improve the audio quality but they couldn't.

The worse part was being forced to pay the early termination penalty to drop their service. Don't get locked into this piece of junk unless it's your only choice for phone service. I'm generally very pleased with my Verizon cellphone service but this Home Phone Connect system is really bad.

I see that AT&T has something similar probably with similar cell service limitations and the usual early termination fees.

Never again!
on February 4, 2013
We have been using this for about 2 years now after replacing our AT&T line, saved us a lot of money.

There have been no problems with the connection and or the quality of the line.

We do live in an area that does have good cell reception - so make sure before you purchase this, that you know what the cell reception is like first.
on November 6, 2013
The Verizon HPC is a small little box boasting that it can replace your land line service. And, for the most part, it can--provided you live near a Verizon tower and have a strong signal.

We have two of these units at our location. One in the basement and the other at street level. At street level the unit gets 3 bars and the quality is as good--if not better than--a land line. The other line has 2 bars but the quality is still very acceptable.

One "gotcha" to be aware of with this device is the sign up process. I went to a Verizon store and purchased my unit there. The manager stated that it does not receive texts, which was very observable. However, this little tidbit stood out when it came time for me to register with Verizon to pay the bill on line.

When you register at the Verizon web site for the first time, you are asked to type in your HPC phone number. Then, you can create an account user name along with an email address for communication purposes. Next is the interesting part. When you hit the "next" button, you are asked for a password when one has not been generated yet. The only option you have is to click the "I forgot my password" link. When you do, you are dutifully informed that a temporary password is being sent my snail mail to your home because, apparently, Verizon still thinks this wireless device can receive texts and uses it during the registration process.

You have to wait for days until Verizon mails you a temporary password to reset your account. Unbelievable. So be aware when registering that Verizon will ask for a credential that you haven't even created yet.

I complained to a service rep and he promised to pass this problem along to his superiors. I hope it gets fixed for those who buy the device in the future.

Other than these caveats, this is a superb device that can replace your existing land line at a price that is well below the national average land line cost.
on February 28, 2014
Have been using for three weeks now. $20 a month for service...unlimited calling and caller ID. Original home phone number.... switch over took two days.

I do live in an area of very good reception.
We have three base Panasonic phones. Caller ID works fine on handset...and of course TV caller ID gone with no more cable

Originally unit had garbled voice. Verizon tech very good...and she worked very hard to correct the problem,,...,we both decided on the need for a replacement unit. Shipped overnight, simple activation and now have crystal clear reception. Very, very satisfied..

Goes to show you that new electrical units sometimes still come defective.
on May 16, 2014
I just replaced our Vonage service with this Verizon device. The voice quality is excellent. Initially we had poor quality voice so I relocated the device and it's great now. All three signal LEDs are lit. I connected our Uniden cordless master station to the unit and when a call comes in, ALL the paired phones will ring. If all your phones don't ring, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Verizon device. You may need to pair all system phones to the master station. We just used the same setup as we did with Vonage and everything just worked.

We will miss getting voicemail in our email and free voice to text transcription. For a savings of $15 we can handle it. One other missing feature is CID name. We only get the phone number and not the name. That service is $3. The work around is to put folks' name in the Uniden phone directory. Not optimum but it's something.

It's portable, so we can take it on vacation and not max out our cellular minutes.

We were told up front that the device will not work with fax machines or with all alarm devices. The online description and manual also explain that.

The device has a backup battery and in a power outage will work as long as the cellular towers are working.
on March 9, 2014
We have a log home in central Wisconsin and wanted a cellular system for our alarm and freeze alarm. We questioned the Verizon support center to be sure this product would do the job. They said no problem this is exactly what we needed. The coverage would be better with the external antenna and additional power to receive signals. We installed the system and initially had issues, we brought it back and they gave us another one and said it should be fine. Once hooked up we tested it and it appeared to work if it was placed by a window. I questioned the store I purchased it at and they said again everything should be fine and if it did not work I could not get my money back because it was past the time frame to return it and I had a contract. We went to our home after four weeks and found someone had broken in, they left the doors open and the heat ran until all the propane was empty. The boiler shut down and everything in our home was frozen. The entire heating system, toilets, drains, and anything that could freeze was broken. We checked the alarms and both were working fine, however this device would not allow the call to be made. I will now see if Verizon will cancel my contract and take back this piece of junk. Probably not.
on January 10, 2013
Update! Actually has saved me $$ reception is ok, so far worth the money. It's like having another cell phone since you no longer will have a landline.
on February 27, 2014
I started using Verizon Home Phone Connect in 2011. I live in an area with excellent cell service, so I've had no problems whatsoever with signal, clarity or reliability. In fact, I went to the Verizon store and upgraded to a new unit today.

Like others have posted, there are going to be issues if you live in an area with less than optimal reception, or if you have a fax machine or services (such as security systems) that require a traditional wired phone line. But if all you want is a good, cost-effective phone service, this works like a charm.
on June 11, 2014
I kid you not when I tell you that this service is horrible! My phone system that I had did not work with this system. They were not old phones. I talked to their tech service at all ends of the the United States, SC, NJ,ID,NM. multiple times. I had a least 12 hours on the phone with them. It did not work from the get go and they would not let me out of the contract. I had to use my very old phone that the cordless no longer work to get the horrible screeching sound to stop.
on January 18, 2013
i got this unit it works supper , but in your area go to a verzion store and find out how it works in your area and it may not work in some
areas well i love it we are runnig 7 wireless phones on it d Gould