Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 9, 2012
The HTC One S is more narrow than other current smart phones. It actually fits the HD screen you see on modern TVs when held horizontally. This means more scrolling when reading horizontally and a smaller onscreen keyboard when swype-ing, so it gave me pause when ordering. Having used it for six months, I can say that I've gotten used to these challenges, even though I do have big fingers and I especially enjoy the form factor.

Bottom line is that a phone fits in your hand, and this one fits better than others with large screeens. It is also very thin with rounded edges. Even with a form-fitting cover (see separate review) it fits in my pocket and my hand so much better than the other options. As you know, I carry it every day, so this really matters more than the hypothetical loss of screen real estate.

Phone calls are clear, reception is excellent, and wifi works great (I usually don't have a data plan, since when I'm away from buildings I generally only want to do phone calls, read books, or look up information in my databases.

My go to app is google mail, calendar, and contacts, all of which are syncing fine between my computer and phone.

For reading, I have used kindle for android, adobe reader, and Olive Tree Bible Study app. I am satisfied with all of them. I also occasionally use the built in software to access MS office files (through dropbox) and it has worked fine.

I have used the phone to watch you tube videos, but I don't really see a phone as a TV.

I do use the camera quite a bit. While the optics are a step down from the larger lens on my Nikon P60, I always have it with me and the resolution is adequate for screen viewing, but not for extensive enlargements. E.g., it's better for memories than for publication.

I am totally pleased with this phone. It is plenty fast enough for my mobile apps and it has already served me well for six months. I hope you can get a good deal on one yourself.

Technical note: it does take the smaller sim cards. It also has 16 gb storage, but no removable sd card or battery. I have not found this a problem though it was something I considered at the time of purchase, and as you can see, I greatly appreciate the form factor, which benefits from these space saving measures.

And if you're wondering, it's so much nicer than any iphone I've seen, just in my humble opinion as someone who doesn't subscribe to the istore game..
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2013
It's a fast phone, with bright colors on the screen, and also is unlocked so I had no problems with DIGITEL VENEZUELA use it. I love it.
33 comments12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2013
This phone for T-mobile was ok not the best. Unforntally HTC stopped all software support for it so there will be no more updates to it, and if your lucky you wont encounter the dreaded home button(Helicoptering) issue. Overall: don't recommend this phone to anyone, you might as well go for the ONE.
11 comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
When I first received I think the software is suck! But I called the customers services and I got hold of real person to help me to walk through a bit. I get used to blackberry in past decade and it took me sometime to learn how to use the new software.

After more than one year usage, I really think it is a great phone in many ways. From time to time, I take photos in restaurants and need to take closer look under the low light situation. I found my friends who use iPhone & Samsung do not have the same functions at all, because their photos obviously can not be compared with mine. I dropped my phone several times and got some scratches on the back covers and it is still in perfect condition. Finally, I bought a gel cover and it seems it will last longer than any of my past Blackberry.
on November 29, 2012
Let me just start by saying that i love this phone. i have experienced none of the problems that other reviews have been talking about.
Screen- the screen very good. idk if it is anything speciel but its got great graphics.
Sound- great... thats the only word that describes it. as you know its got beats by dre audio installed so whenever any media is playing it turns on.
Build- the phone is very nice. the body of it is aluminum, its so thin!!!
Battery- battery life isnt great only like 8 or nine hours if your using aplications.
internet browsing- its very fast. about 70 persent of the time the conection. some of the other reviews say that when the phone has low bars that it like goes nuts of somthing. i have had the phone for about 2 months and never had this problem.
on September 15, 2012
Very nice device, but be aware that numerous users are experiencing a SERIOUS ISSUE whenever carrier signal is weak:

The phone will then switch homescreen/multiple screen view on its own in very quick succession, and disable all the capacitive buttons. It will keep doing this until you find a spot where the signal is better (if you're lucky). In the meantime, you will not be able to do anything at all: call, pick-up, use apps, whatever. Basically, you then completely loose control over your phone. Just google "HTC one S touch button issue" and you'll see many times many posts about it.

This issue has been reported to HTC by many users FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW, but no patch or update has been released yet as to address the problem. So keep this in mind if you want to purchase this device... You have been warned.HTC, please FIX THIS ISSUE! Thank you...
11 comment21 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2013
This phone is great, I have One and I love it. The screen is huge, the responsive time is instant, and the amoled HTC screen is timeless. I am running Jelly bean! and yes there is a Jellybean update for it.
Fast phone, had some problems with the camera coming in foggy before, but the update looks to have patched that bug.

I LOVE THIS PHONE. THANKS HTC!:).
on September 30, 2012
Would be a nice phone if not plagued by a VERY SERIOUS BUG

Pros:
- Light, but strong
- Slick and elegant
- Battery ok (with some tweaking it lasts me a fair day with about 3-4 hours screen on time, with stock software it still does 15 hours runtime)
- Good Audio
- PERFECT CAM!!!
- Very good screen
- Fast!

Well, then there is this (same text as some other reviews - says it all):

Be aware that numerous users are experiencing a SERIOUS ISSUE whenever carrier signal is weak:

This issue has been reported to HTC by many users SINCE APRIL 2012, but no patch or update has been released yet as to address the problem. So keep this in mind if you want to purchase this device... You have been warned.
HTC refuses all liability and is lately even refusing to exchange or repair phones, saying we should now keep waiting for Updates! I am VERY DOUBTFUL an update can adress this as we have already seen 3 relevant Radio-Updates which where meant to address this yet failed!

Various threads on XDA forum are currently discussing this issue, gathering testimonies from hundreds of users and organizing a communication campaign to inform the masses. Don't forget to check them out before you invest in this phone:

Discussion thread:[...]

Campaign thread: [...]

HTC, please FIX THIS ISSUE! Thank you...
11 comment14 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2014
I need to use in my business and I need it to make video but the phone does not work as it was describe and when I contact the seller never got back to me.
on February 2, 2016
I've had this phone for a few years, though I did not buy it off Amazon.

EASE OF USE: I adjusted easily after transitioning from a flip phone. Take your time to get to know the phone and go through the settings and it'll get easier. It also has a short tutorial for new users when you first start it up.

EASE OF FILE TRANSFERS: My phone was not updated for a few years and it was great. I think it was version 4.2 or lower and I was able to mount my phone to my laptop and transfer my files in bulk through the USB cable/charger. But about a year back, AFTER I updated my Android to the latest version (4.4.1), this is no longer possible. I don't know why that feature was taken out after upgrading, it became more painstaking for me to move my many pictures and music between my phone and laptop. Very sad about that and now I transfer files one at a time through Dropbox. I'd use Dropbox, then File Explorer (if files go from laptop to phone) so it takes more time out of my day to do transfers.

MUSIC: Great as a music player! It was a primary reason as to why I got the phone and I've never had trouble with playing my music. The speakers are on the bottom behind the phone, so you'll have to set your phone upside down if you want to hear it on your speakers. I usually listen to music with earphones though. The volume buttons are on the right side of the phone so you don't need to turn the screen back on to adjust the volume.

CAMERA: Good back camera. Not so good front camera (pictures are of lower quality). Don't even think about selfies unless you're aiming the back camera towards a mirror. Videos are give or take. Recording is no problem, though it has problems afterwards. Some video files will transfer properly to a computer. Unfortunately, there are chances in which videos will be unable to be read and opened. Also, the video quality is not that good - I'd suggest something else for video.

INTERNET: It comes with a basic internet browser. You can install Firefox on it, but Firefox will block searches that it deems anything too risque. Even changing the settings will not fix it. So if you want to look up anything that Firefox blocks, just use the basic internet browser. You can have both on your phone!

APPS: Good for apps that don't take a lot of memory, like Facebook or Twitter. For active gaming apps, I wouldn't recommend it as it could black out and lag. I've been able to play Candy Crush, though! I've been able to use it for visual novel apps without any problems, though. I've also used Snapchat and I can't record videos on the app to send to friends (though pictures are okay). I can view other people's videos and photos though. This also stores a good amount of apps, but it depends on how big the apps are.

DAMAGE CONTROL: I've dropped my phone on the ground and cement so many times in the years I've had it. The screen STILL hasn't cracked. It's amazing! It does have dents on the sides, but it's nothing to me since the screen is still okay. As for protective phone cases, I still haven't found one (though I never went out of my way to look). I haven't come across any cases for it, but knowing how well it can take damage, I'm not worried. The only thing is that I once accidentally dropped it in snow and now the bottom part of the screen starts flickering on very cold nights (the flickering stops when it warms up again, like when I hold it in my palm). It's still alive and kicking 2 years after the snow incident, but beware of snow damage.

BATTERY: Before I updated my phone to the latest Android, the battery lasted a very long time. I'd charge it every 2 days. After the update to 4.2.2, the battery drains faster and I have to charge it every night. It normally charges pretty fast at home in a wall, a bit slower in an extension cord at home, and a lot slower at my workplace. The battery recharge rate would change depending on where you plug it in. I've also had to go through two chargers, though the first charger was a champ (a few years of life) and the second was a generic charger I received as a present. I'm on my third charger (bought from T-Mobile's website) at the moment.

SCREEN CAPTURE: To take pics of your phone screen (screenshot), you can (1) hold the "down" volume button and the power button at the same time OR (2) hold the power button and press the home button and it'll save your screen as a picture. It'll flash the screen for a moment and the pic will go straight to the gallery. It's fairly useful for taking pics of codes on your apps or just anything you come across on the internet.

SIM CARD: I've used T-Mobile before switching over to a prepaid carrier. It totally works with other carriers. Word of warning: do not use Norton Antivirus if you change SIM cards. I got locked out because of Norton and had to delete everything because I didn't have a password nor a registered email for it for some reason. I downloaded it through the Google Playstore. Lost all my contacts because of the app. I suggest alternatives like Malwarebytes or AVG Antivirus instead for security, but my phone never got infected by anything in the years I had it.

My overall impression is that I like this phone. The couple of downsides weren't too bad to me, though I do miss transferring my files in bulk. So if you can avoid upgrading it for it, I'd advise that. I'd only deem upgrading necessary for certain game apps, but otherwise it's not needed.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse