Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 26, 2013
Note: this was a gift with accessories (tamper, stainless steel "jug", grinder, cups rack and plates, etc) all from Amazon, and I haven't yet used the coffee pot. (I've already got one; this will be used when the other one blows; we drink a LOT of coffee so I anticipate needing the coffee pot part one day, lol).

I'm a major espresso drinker, so what a nice gift this was! I've had a few others, but either they didn't shoot the water hard enough to get a good pull, or the machines were too complicated and hard to clean ...and those machines sit in my cabinets. When I first opened this present, I was honestly thrilled because someone KNEW I loved espresso, but I admit, I also imagined, "oh my, a THIRD espresso maker to sit in my cabinets ...while I visit coffee shops in town," but after I tried it, I'll admit, I've used this Every. Single. Day. since I've gotten it. A month yesterday.

My "likes" about this one:

* GOOD PRESSURE due to sturdy construction of the water basin (for good jets of hot water, and good steam). The lid and machine feels heavy like a pressure cooker. (By the way: GET THE TAMPER! It makes all the difference) so you can get a good pull of even 4 shots at a time. This is the important part, really, because if you don't get the pressure, you'll won't get that microfoam milk, and then you won't get the magic (crema) to your espresso. No pressure, you get flat, "drip coffee" espresso with no crema, no matter how you tamp it. GOT to have the pressure. So that makes this machine at the least adequate: you WILL get a good pull of espresso.

Although you do the milk first, I set it up with the coffee tamped and locked in, add the water for both the milk AND the espresso, then froth the milk, clean the steam nozzle (using the steam and a sponge), then turn the knob to espresso immediately (takes a few seconds all told). Filling the portafilter with coffee grounds and tamping is easy, and easy to clean. Of course before you lock it in, you tamp your coffee: TAMPING IS HUGE! The harder the tamp, the creamier the espresso! Only problem I've seen is rather common: if you're only making only a few shots, the tamper can get stuck, so you pull it out funny and you lose your tamp (flat, hard pressure fill) and have to start over again. So my attitude is, since you just need a LITTLE more grains to make 4 shots, make the four shots! Tamper never gets stuck then, and you'll get good pulls (complete with crema, that brown froth stuff in your espresso from a good tamp)!

* FROTHING THE MILK. It may not be evident: you froth your milk first, then pull your espresso, which is why the carafe has a "steam" indicator line around the 1 shot mark. You're supposed to pour the steam water in machine, wait, turn dial towards you to froth your milk, froth your milk, then open the machine and pour in more water for your espresso, then pull your espresso. WELL, I CHEAT: I pour the whole shebang (amount of espresso water I want to pull PLUS amount of steam I want, which varies depending on my milk and the drink I want). That way, the minute my milk is frothed and my nozzle is cleaned, I turn the knob back to "espresso" and let the machine do it's magic.

YOU WILL GET NICE FROTH! I'm talking, MICROFOAM, not BUBBLES. I couldn't believe I got a machine that could produce microfoam! YAY! Mostly, it's in HOW you hold your stainless steel milk container: the little holes that shoot steam should be immersed JUST to the little holes; if you have enough pressure, and this machine does, you'll get a good microfoam easily within 30 seconds. (In fact, it can boil on you if you're not keeping an eye on it, so respect this machine: it'll quadruple your milk in seconds and you'll get bubbles.) There are youtubes on the methods to get various froths, but what's nice about this machine is the steam nodule rotates to your preferred position, and is long enough you can avoid burns, so you can really keep an eye on it and control your frothing. (AND NOT GET BURNED!)

The problem I've had with steam nozzles on other machines is that the steam nozzles seem like "afterthoughts": the steam nozzles weren't long enough, so you'd burn yourself trying to froth, grrr, or the machine didn't make hot enough steam to blow the surface of the milk, much less to froth it. But this machine shoots out PLENTY of hot steam. I can do breves (with heavier cream) on this machine. So Caps and lattes are EASY. (Mainly make sure you add more water if you're wanting to froth half-and-half or whole milk.)

* MILK CLEANUP: I use a little extra water so when my milk is frothed, I set it aside, have a damp sponge available (SPONGE or you'll burn yourself!!!) and use the scrubby side of the sponge to wrap it around the nozzle and twist the sponge around AS THE STEAM IS COMING OUT; then I let steam escape alone for a few seconds, then I hit it with the sponge again and then turn the knob to espresso and wipe the counter if needed. NO dried up milk on the nozzle, and I haven't had to use needles to clean the little steam holes at all. EASY clean up. I pull the espresso, pour it, add the frothed milk, rinse the milk container, turn the machine off, and that's IT. I'm drinking my latte and have left the kitchen. I use this thing like, several more times a day than I should, LOL, but when cleanup is easy, and you don't have burn marks on your hands from too-short nozzles, you WILL use the thing.

* GENERAL CLEAN UP! Dude, it's done! No seriously, I'm drinking a breve or latte and the counter's clean. Just turn the machine off and forget it. I use it enough that a few hours later, when it's cool to the touch, I tap the coffee grains out and am ready to go again. If I'm headed to bed, I'll tap the grains out at night, then rinse the portafilter, but that's it. You're DONE. DRINK! DEO GRATIAS! If this thing breaks, I'm buying another one.
22 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this is a nice coffee maker - but there are a few things that are a bit strange. The instructions are written in such a way that I would bet a non-English speaker wrote it. If you are trying to use the program setting you hit the coffee button once. This turns on a red light. If you want it to brew right away you hit the button twice and a green light comes on.

There is no filter for water (which is okay - but should be noted).

Also, when using the espresso machine they tell you to use all the water for the espresso and then add more water for the steamer. I find that this is not necessary.

The heating element only heats the glass pot for 2 hours. FYI.

Overall I like this combo and the coffee maker.
VINE VOICEon August 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love coffee and own a variety of coffee and espresso makers because I'm sort of a kitchen-gadget-freak. My french press definitely makes the smoothest most delicious cup of coffee, but it takes over 10 minutes start to finish, and I don't always have time for that in the mornings. I picked this Krups up to have a good drip maker with the option of having a latte sometimes.

SET-UP:
Narrative directions are thorough, diagrams are maddening. One example- the first page is a detailed diagram with letters assigned for every part ... the 'key' - giving part names to each letter - isn't until page 7! Also it did take me forever to figure out that you press the 'coffee' button TWICE to start brewing, but I hadn't had my coffee yet.

TASTE / ODOR:
The directions say to run through a few brew cycles with just water so I did. After 3 cycles with bottled water, I made coffee. I did smell the 'burning plastic' smell very faintly, so I gave it another 2 water-only cycles. Now I have no smell and no odd taste. I like the coffee just fine. As long as you use good coffee and make it the strength you prefer, it tastes great to me.

ESPRESSO / STEAMED MILK:
I have had an espresso maker in the past so I knew what I was doing here, but I did find out that a cold pitcher works better for frothing milk, so on weekends (when I have time for leisurely lattes) I keep my pitcher in the fridge. I did already own a stainless pitcher which I think is key. I use the back of the coffee scoop to tamp the espresso. There is an easy knob for espresso - steamer - off. The espresso is great!

LITTLE THINGS:
- The cord is ridiculously short. Drives me batty before I've had my coffee!
- No water filter, but I use filtered water anyway.
- I like how the carafe won't go on the burner unless the filter basket is properly closed; a good reminder for me before I've had my coffee!
- You can use reusable filters.
- I like the small footprint.

Of course this means that I have 3 bags of coffee in my freezer: a coarse grind for the french press, a regular grind for the drip, and an espresso grind. But that's not a big deal (except when I forget which is which...which is not uncommon since I have to get the coffee out before I've had any coffee...).

BOTTOM LINE:
Nice option for making coffee for a group, and also for making espresso and espresso drinks. I don't have the bad smell or taste some have complained about; I love my coffee made in this Krups.
44 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2013
This Espresso maker is so much better than the older model. It is important to read the instructions as they are a little different than the previous model. The milk foams beautifully and the coffee it makes is excellent. Persistence pays. I had purchased the previous models which did not work properly. I called Krups and they had me send it to repair which I did. Repair was unable to do anything. Krups then sent me the current model which works very well. The process of all this was simple and cost me nothing but a little time.KRUPS XP160050 Coffee Maker and Espresso Machine Combination, Black
on May 22, 2014
I was hesitant to buy this coffee maker based on some of the reviews. We have had this coffee maker for a few months now and we love it. We have no problems at all. We use the coffee maker every day and the espresso maker once in awhile. I highly recommend this product who wants a nice compact combination maker.
on January 29, 2014
This machine as a lot of good features. The coffee pot, unlike my previous one of another brand, doesn't spill. So that was a great improvement in itself. Coffee pots should pour without missing the pot so the comparison brand set a low bar. The coffee maker provides a fast brew - maybe a little too fast as the coffee sometimes seems a little weak. May need to use more generous measure. Also the filter door doesn't quite snap shut using my reusable filter. Need to see if there is a smaller size I can buy. But it works ok anyway. The espresso maker is a very pleasant surprise. I've had two other combo machines and neither of them ever foamed milk very well. This does a fine job. The foamer arm is a little short so my little milk pitcher doesn't quite fit when the espresso pot is situated on the pad, but if I move it, the foam really rises and the espresso is as good as anything I get at a coffee shop. The water chambers are easy to pour water into. The only problem there is that I have to pull it forward out from under my cabinets to use the coffee pot to fill the brewer and the plug is short so unless I can get the angle just right I have to unplug it, fill the coffee brewer, push it back under the counter and plug it back in. I don't have to do that on the espresso side. I don't have any counter space that isn't covered by an upper cabinet. The good news is that unlike previous combos I've had, this one doesn't leak a lot of steam out of either side so my upper cabinets are better protected from moisture damage. On the whole, I like this combo much better than others I've had. The issues noted above are relatively minor given the advantage of having a coffee maker that produces both good coffee and great espresso right at home. If these little flaws were corrected, I'd give it a five.
on October 19, 2014
It was adequate, but then started having problems. Right now, water drips down from the top of the filter basket holder and onto the heat plate during brewing and then starts to boil over once touching the plate. I can't figure out a reason why, unless it's possibly evaporating and condensing all within the filter basket...or water leaks out of places elsewhere besides the main spout. Very annoying and it leaves puddles around the base of the unit, not to mention wastes water that I wanted to use to make coffee.

The lid to the carafe is not easy to remove for cleaning, and when I broke it and had to order a new carafe, the rep told me that it's not ever supposed to come off. Not a very good design, especially if you want to invert it for drying. I will say that the carafe pours better than the square tipped Black & Decker carafes, which is a plus.

The filter basket swings out to the side, and does not stay open. You'll have to hold it there while scooping the grounds into the filter.

Turning on the coffee is easier than review make it seem. You just press the "Coffee" button twice so the LED goes from red (for Program) to green (for brew). Not a big deal at all.

I don't use the espresso side too much, but I guess it's nice to have. The steamer nozzle does not remove, and is a pain to clean.

The cord is ridiculously short. I work with product designers, and they will sometimes make a short cord because there is an expectation that you'll use an extension cord anyway. No one is going to use an extension cord on a coffee maker, so that's a huge fail on their part. I can barely pull it out from under the cabinet enough to pour the water in.

Speaking of water, there's no way to know how much water you poured into it unless you measured it out beforehand. It's such a common feature, I have no idea why they couldn't include it.

Edit 4/8/2015: Turns out the cord is longer than I though, it's just coiled up underneath the unit, not in the back. All you have to do is lay it over, unwrap however much cord you need, and you're good to go.

The hinges for the filter basket are flimsy. I broke one, and was able to get replacement parts from Krups since we're still in the 2 year warranty period, but it was a pain to replace, and doesn't seem like it's going to last long term. I still would not buy this unit again.
on August 12, 2015
I purchased this item in January 2014, I was very, but very happy with it, coffee tasted so much better. But now, alas, one of the hinges that holds the filter containers has broken. The manufacturer wants me to ship the coffee maker to them, to make repairs. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks to get it back, that is most disconcerting to me. Why can't they ship me the new hinge for me to replace ? I asked them to replace the entire product, but they refused. Had I known this breakage would happen so soon, I would not had purchased it. Warranty will not run out until January 2016. Therefore I have no choice but to give them 2 stars.
on November 19, 2014
We had the same model of Krups for 30 years! It finally quit! This one has the espresso and coffee pots switched (coffee pot used to be on the right), which I've had to get used to. Also, the auto shut-off clip in the basket was missing, so you couldn't take the pot out while brewing until the company replaced the basket free. The new basket was perfect, but took about 4 weeks to receive.
on November 15, 2014
The idiots at Krups designed the main coffeemaker basket too small to take a No. 4 cone filter without folding over the bottom seam. The filter collapses over the coffee, preventing the water from reaching all the grounds. The instructions actually call for a "No. 3" cone filter, which doesn't exist anywhere in the world, as far as I know! Makes good coffee, however, and the convenience of having the espresso/cappuccino maker integrated in the same appliance is efficient.