Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on September 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am giving this camera four stars because it does take good pictures. Pictures have good color, saturation, and sharp focus. If you get this camera, you will be able to take good pictures in a variety of conditions, but I must be honest and say there might be better cameras in this price range.

What I liked:
1) Had it up and taking pictures in under two minutes without reading instructions.
2) It does take quality pictures. Sharp focus, good contrast, and brilliant saturation.
3) Powerful optical zoom
4) Quality optics
5) Performs well in low light conditions
6) Integrated video capability

What I did not like:
1) Geotagging requires integration with smartphone. Other cameras in this price range have a full featured GPS onboard
2) Wireless upload confusing and possibly nonfunctional
3) Optical zoom/Focus combination is awkward at high zoom levels. In playing with the camera, I constantly "overshoot" on the zoom. I found it very difficult to get the level of zoom I wanted without going to far one side or the other.
4) Autofocus not as intelligent as in similar priced cameras.

This is the bottom line. If you get this camera, you will be able to take excellent digital photographs that you will be proud of, and it is relatively simple to use. The question, however, is whether or not this is the best camera for the money. I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V digital camera, and it is at the same price point as this Fujifilm camera. The Sony has an onboard GPS, zoom controls work better, focus works better, and works better in low light condition. At the same price, the sony offers much more bang for the buck.
review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 3, 2012
THE CAMERA
I have several point and shoot cameras. The quality of their photos vary according to how much the cameras let you tweak the settings - if any settings are even available. The FINEPIX F800EXR is slightly wider than my Samsung but has a much larger LCD display. The Samsung is a squared off box whereas the F800EXR is slightly contoured so it feels a lot better in your hand. It has a little weight to it that makes it feel like a solid camera versus a cheap-o plastic one.

SETTINGS
I usually have to resort to my Samsung (that lets me set the ISO to 400) so I can take photos in dark rooms. Enter my new FINEPIX F800EXR camera from FujiFilm. I am blown away. There are so many settings that it could be intimidating to the novice or casual user but great for an experienced user. I opted to leave it set to the EXR (automated) setting and am I satisfied with its performance! It determines the needed setting from the up-close macro settings to the low-light room that needs higher ISO settings or even the setting that takes three rapid shots and then marries them together to get a brighter/lighter finished photo. The EXR even took some photos in a hallway at 1600 and 3200 ISO that brightened them enough to see the details.

PANORAMAS
I periodically go to events that require me to take a panorama shot of the room. With the Samsung I have to take 2 - 4 shots that I must manually splice together in Photoshop - a tedious job with usable, but unsatisfactory results. Now I set the F800EXR camera to take 120 degree panoramas. So I simply sweep from left to right in the room (being sure to follow the horizontal line placed on the LCD screen). Somehow it knows when you have rotated 120 degrees and automatically stops and saves your panorama. As a side note, it will also take 180 and 360 degree panoramas. There is even a setting to take a seamless 360 degree panorama that can be played in a loop. For all Panorama settings, there is a progress bar that lets you know how much further you have to rotate to reach your desired panorama length.

PHOTOS
The photos I took were nice and sharp with only the occasional blurry one - which is a lot better ratio of sharp-to-blurry photos than my other point-and-shoot cameras. I took comparison photos with both my Samsung and the F800EXR using the same ISO settings. I was amazed. I thought the Samsung did good in low-light but the F800EXR's photo was a lot lighter in low-light situations. Usually I get noise (pixelation) under low-light conditions. They almost weren't visible with the F800EXR.

MAC USERS
You do not have to install the supplied software. Connect your camera with the supplied USB cable and immediately Image Capture pops up and starts displaying all of your photos and videos - ready to be copied to your Mac.

IPAD USERS
Camera Connection Kit:
I attached the "Camera Connection Kit" to my iPad 2, then connected the F800EXR's USB cable to the camera and to the Camera Connection Kit. I turned both on and immediately the pictures on the F800EXR showed up in the Photos App on my iPad. I selected the ones I wanted and successfully copied them to the iPad. No Wi-Fi connection was needed.

WI-FI:
I downloaded both the recommended "FujiFilm Camera Application" and the "FujiFilm Photo Receiver" Apps and installed them on my iPad. I was able to download only one image with the "FujiFilm Camera Application" and nothing with the "FujiFilm Photo" app. I had to continually reselect the F800EXR's name in the iPad's WI-FI settings for both. I finally gave up. So for me, WI-FI is a no-go. At least the USB cable works.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Am I satisfied? You bet! The F800EXR has now moved up to be my primary camera. If perfect photos are more enticing to you than fiddling with settings, use the EXR setting. But if you do like to manually tweak the settings, there are tons to chose from.
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well, considering I own a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V and Canon PowerShot S100 also, it's hard for me to get overly excited about this Fuji camera - being spoiled with higher standards. Sony/Canon pretty much wins in all aspects. If this was my first digital camera, I'm sure I'd give it a 4 stars... the reason for the 3 stars is that this camera is "OK" and for the price, there are better options as well. This camera does have a lot of features, but it also needs a lot of polishing.

First of all, I don't know why Fuji has two apps that pretty much does the same thing. For you to download pictures wirelessly to your phone or tablet, you have to download their app. They have two of them called
"FUJIFILM Photo Receiver" and "FUJIFILM Camera Application". The latter is updated more recently and seems like that's all you need. The Photo Receiver app is just redundant. The wireless feature does work and it converts/uploads the pictures to a little under 1 MB.

Pros:
- Nice camera body/grip and scroll wheel feels good (better than Sony's plasticky feel)
- Face detect has a extra touch to it; you can actually save the face with a name/birthday if the camera detects that same face multiple times.
- Camera supports over 35 languages! (Canon has 27. Sony only has 4)

Cons
- Noisy zoom (The zoom noise on the Sony is night and day compared to this one) - when shooting video you will hear the zoom; you can hear this cranking/spring noise. Not good. Sony just blows all digital cameras away in video capabilities.
- I'm really not a fan of Fuji's graphic user interface at all. It just seems very outdated. It needs more polish or they need to hire a new graphic artist solely on that.
The cross-hair makes it look like a video game. Kids might like this interface, but I'm not a fan of the "toy" feel. When you change the mode dial, there is a noticeable delay in the display
- In manual mode, there is no real-time preview (like with Sony/Canon) when you adjust the shutter speed/aperture of how the exposure is going to be before even taking the shot - it's only after you take the shot that you see the picture being under or overexposed
- No manual whatsoever for video; zooming is much slower in video mode.
- The SD card slot is so close to the door that it makes it hard to pull out the card

The flash does not pop up on its own; you have to manually press the button on the side to pop it out. Since the flash pops up with a hinge, it would have been really cool if the flash still worked tilting it up slightly with your own finger to bounce the light off the ceiling (for more natural light); however, it's not possible because the software won't allow that as the camera won't see that the flash is out unless the flash is directly pointing straight.

If you enable silent mode, no shutter sound/operation sound, then you can't use the flash either. So if you want to turn off the annoying operation/shutter sounds, you have to go to those volume sounds and turn them off individually.
In playback viewing mode, you can display 1 large photo with (2 previous/next pictures on the side like iPod album scrolling-type preview), 2x2 (with 2 smaller previous/next thumbnails in the corner), 3x3 (9 thumbnails total), and the most is 10x10 (100 thumbnails total on the screen)

Turning the wheel to scroll through the photos are fast.

If you go to Menu and Configure 2 (the wrench tool with 2; second one from the bottom) and "screen set-up", there's a "monitor sunlight mode" that raises the LCD brightness really high to make it easier to see when you're outside in harsh sunlight.

Overall, I still prefer Sony/Canon's cameras, without a doubt, even though they also have their own flaws. The Fuji camera just needs a little bit more polishing to be done in my eyes.
review image
66 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wanted to love this camera. I really did. I came into this probably more inclined to give it every chance than I normally would with a Vine offering, because the things it claimed it could do were just awesome - geotagging based on data from the phone, wireless transfer, 20x optical zoom. Nice screen in the back. A great (for me) form factor, easy to grip. Fuji had to do very little to get a good review from me, I thought. About all they had to do was show up.

Unpacked it, charged the battery. It's easy to remove and insert the battery, and there's an orange stripe on the battery that matches the orange release button under the cover - makes it easy to see which way the battery goes without having to peer inside to see where the contacts are.

Powered it up, ran through the initial setup for language and time, and started playing some with the menu.

The menu is not very intuitive. And the manual is horrible. It gives a list of what options there are in the menus, but not how to get to them. Some are only available in certain modes, and some you don't get at all just scrolling through the menus - you have to click LEFT on the "d-pad" type button, then get to the little wrench icons to get at the others. I finally found that just by trying it and hoping. This was my first Fuji camera so I don't know if that's how they all are or not. But it was frustrating.

I sat on my couch and took some random photos of my great room. The low light pictures are actually very well done, even on the screen, you can see the image much brighter than you see in front of you in real life. The colors match reality on the viewfinder, something I often don't see in digital cameras (I go through them every year or two, so I've been through a bunch - this one seems to color match on the viewfinder better than any of the others I've had).

Image stabilization - in low light very very poor. No matter how steady I held it things would blur. Even with the camera resting on the arm of the chair, taking a picture across the room of my kid's bookshelf and most of the time they were blurred somewhat. Using a flash let it snap fast enough to keep it from blurring, but my Nikon, taking the same shot in the same light without flash was able to take the pictures without blur. EXR mode gives a better percentage of low light images not blurred from bad stabilization, and changing around to other modes get me a couple that are not blurred, but I expected much better from this when compared to other cameras I've used in similar light that had no problems with stabilization and lower light shots indoors using just room lighting. I didn't play with any manual setting options, it's been decades since my 35mm days, and I'd probably just make things worse, so my testing was with automatic modes, since most of the people who are going to look at a camera like this are people like me, who want a simple point and shoot camera. For people with a more professional or advanced background, if there's specific things you want me to try to test, ask in the comments and I'll do what I can.

Zoom - very nice - less than 2 seconds from 1x to 20x, and less than 2 seconds back to 1x. In movie mode, it does not zoom anywhere near that fast, it's 9 seconds to go to full optical zoom during movies. Things are nice and crisp at 20x just much easier to blur your shot with movement due to the image stabilization issues. But the slower movie mode zoom may be useful for people with a tendency to go nuts zooming in and out while taking movies... Would be nice though if there was an option to adjust it though.

Movie mode - there's a separate movie mode button on back right near where your thumb rests, so you can instantly enter movie mode without having to change modes or touch the dial on top. While taking normal pictures, hitting that button has you taking movies in less than a second. It also gives you a timer that counts down backwards how much recording time is left on the current card.

Flash - manual release only - doesn't pop up if needed. If you think there's any chance you'll need a flash, either due to darkness or just to fill in light, you have to eject it manually. When I saw that the entire left top section to the left of the hump in the middle comes up, I thought, "Oh great, another camera that screws up how you can hold that side with your left hand while taking pictures. But it actually doesn't cause problems because of how it pops up and forward some. The entire back half of that section is open for your finger. It's a HOLLOW spot of course since it's empty with the flash extended, but you have the left and rear edge of that hole, which gives you plenty of grip if you like to use both hands.

The place it utterly failed though was anything having to do with the wireless connect. Plain and simple, it could not. While looking for a manual online (I'm on a Retina Macbook Pro with no optical drive by default so was looking for an online manual) I found a firmware update 1.01 for it. VERY easy to do, just download and copy the DAT file to the memory card, insert in camera and power on camera while holding the DISP/BACK button. Shows current version and lets you update it just right there. And this is evidently there to rectify an issue with wireless connect. However, the problem they outlined as the problem this was intended to fix wasn't my problem.
So the wireless share is absolutely horrible - totally unusable with my third generation iPad or my iPhone 5. First, you have to get the camera into playback mode. Then you have to turn on the wireless connect option on the camera. It goes into "search mode" and this is where the fail is. *NOW* in the very short time it is in search mode, you have to go to your phone, go to settings, wireless, find the Fuji wireless network the camera is broadcasting, select it, then open the Fuji connect app and click "connect". 9 times out of 10 despite me having both apps running (and quick switching between them with a double click on the home button) the connect doesn't happen before the camera times out. The 10th of those 10 times I get a quick flash for a split second on the camera showing my iPhone and connected, then instant disconnection. This is AFTER the 1.01 update for the firmware. This is just a horrible setup.

And of course it's the same for the geotagging - you have to set the phone to use the camera as it's wireless access point before shooting. This one actually gave me enough time to connect my iPhone to it and enable geotagging. I had hoped once I had that connected I could then try to wireless connect, but I had to go back to trying to pick the camera as the access point again, and was back at the beginning of my problems outlined above. It would've been better had they reversed this - had the app on the phone act as a little access point for the camera to look for and connect to, rather than the other way.

And every time you want to try again, it's not keeping the camera on that already connected Fuji camera wireless network - every time it fails, you have to start ALL OVER from the very beginning, back to wireless, back to finding the fuji and selecting it, back to the fuji app to try again.

And the option on the phone to browse the camera, same problems. There is nothing in this wireless connection that works well. Absolutely nothing, and that was the one thing that set this camera apart from my Nikon. But without it, as much as I really wanted to love this camera, there's nothing at all to set this above my existing camera other than the physical aspects I liked.

And I'd also be more interested in wireless transfer directly to my computer, but that is not an option, at least not yet. I hope that if they work to resolve the mess they made of their wireless transfer procedure, they add options to get software for the computer as well.

Now, back to a few other good things.

RAW format - it's been a while since I had a camera that supported RAW, so that's a nice feature for people who need it.

The camera has great heft without being heavy - not as light as my Nikon so it actually feels better to hold. Very ergonomic, with the flared front grip for the fingers, and a pushed out part on the back right under the selection dial for the thumb, with non slip in both locations.

The zoom button is easy to hit, but the notches on it to provide a non-slip surface are just too rounded, don't grip enough. Sometimes your finger may slide around a bit on it.

Bright screen, easy to see. And I love the display and how it gives a big graphic when you switch modes, the right half of the screen shows a graphic of a big selector knob showing not just what you selected, but what ones are a couple above and below it. And the left side gives the details about the mode and what it is used for.

When the camera is off, hitting the playback button gives you the playback display and keeps the lens retracted, and simply pressing the shutter button switches it on for normal camera mode again.

I haven't beat it up yet to see just how long the battery will last since I've spent most of my time playing with the kludgy menu and the awful wireless options, but with about 150 photos taken so far, a couple three minute movies, and lots of flash photos, my battery meter hasn't dropped enough to take one of the three bars off the power icon. And when I'm not taking photos I've got it turned on this whole time so far. So up to this point, the battery life really seems like it's going to be good.

From power on, it's only about 1 to 1.5 seconds before you're shooting. Very quick startup.

Lens cover built in, but not solid. It's very delicate, and it can be easily nudged open so something to be aware of, make sure there's nothing floating around in your case if there's not a separate section for the camera body.

There is a nice, solid mount on the bottom for tripods and such, well secured, and I had no wiggle at all with mine when I tried it on my tripod.

There is a mini HDMI output, but I don't have any mini HDMI cables so I couldn't try it out. I use a media center PC for my TV anyway, with a server in the basement that it reads photos from, so for me it wouldn't have been used anyway.

Oddly enough, the USB cable it comes with doesn't seem to work with my Mac running Mountain Lion. It's recognized right away, and it opens my transfer program, but the program can't see any photos on the camera. If I pull the SD card out and insert it into my Mac, it sees the images just fine. That's how I'd do it anyway, so for me it's not an issue, but something to check if you're using a Mac and need that functionality. Test it to make sure you can pull the images off of it via cable.

It comes with a pretty standard low end wrist strap.

The button to release the flash is on the left edge, and there's no chance you're going to accidentally open the flash - it takes considerable force (for a camera) to release the flash.

Now, for the most important thing ultimately - actual end results. Picture quality is very good. Some shots are just excellent, looking at them on my Retina Macbook. Even the 20x zoom shots taken across the room are just outstanding for 20x zoom shots. I have some test photos I did of my 8 year old's book shelf on the other side of the room. I'll post them over the next few days when I get a chance. Close up shots are impressive. I have one I took with the camera held at about a 45 degree angle, the bottom edge of the lens actually touching a piece of paper, and it took a great shot of the words on the paper from that nearly nonexistent distance. Shots taken with the continuous setting work well also. The microphones pick up sound better than my other P&S cameras, and movies had a better, fuller sound to them.

I'm going to keep trying to see if I can ever get the wireless transfer to work, and will edit this post with notes on the results, as well as more impressions as I get some more shots in various settings.

For the camera itself, I'd give it a 4 star rating just for the camera only side of things, but since this is marketed as a camera with wireless image transfer, and it just is horrible, I'm going to score it based on that, hence the rating of a 2.

Edit 4/22/13 - It's been 7 months since this review, so I thought I'd visit it again and update. No change. Firmware is still the same version, the software has gotten no better on the iphone. Still have to jump between network settings on the iPhone to try to connect to the phone's "access point" and then back to the app to start anything, and it still times out before anything can happen. I had hoped maybe they'd update the firmware to help change things to make it reliable but apparently not. I've been using the Nikon S8200 happily instead of this, and today got a new Sony NEX-3NL/B interchangeable lens digital camera that I'm so far extremely happy with , so this Fuji will just end up thrown out since I have only been keeping it as a spare "backup" digital camera in case the Nikon had a problem, and now the Nikon has become the backup camera so no need to waste space with this unit. Too bad as this had a lot of potential, but between the really bad "intelligent Image stabilization" and lackluster "everything else", it's just not a camera I'd ever bother using despite how much I do like the body and grip and how secure it feels to hold.
review image review image review image
77 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been playing with this camera for about a month now and I wanted to pass along my impressions. For a bit of perspective, I'm a bit of a camera hoarder (according to my wife). I have cameras from a Canon EOS 5D Mark II to the Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3. What I've been looking for is a small, versatile travel camera that captures RAW format images. This Fuji camera is a good contender. Its size is a bit larger than my sub-compact point and shoot cameras but still much smaller and lighter than my big SLR. It's a fixed lens camera but the zoom performs well and offers a lot of options. The panorama mode works well and delivers great results quickly (although the iPhone does it now too).
This camera has some interesting features involving connecting via wifi to an iPhone app. You can GPS tag your location, download photos while you're on the road using only your camera and iPhone, etc. All these features work however, it's not as quick a process as I would like. You spend a few minutes linking your camera to your phone and then sometimes the information comes across, other times it doesn't. It's all just a bit clunky. Yes, it works. But I wish it was a little more elegant.
For the core camera functions, this camera delivers very nice images and is quick to use.
One major complaint at the moment is that Fuji hasn't published a RAW interpreter for their special format on Mac. So if you're a Mac user like me, core apps like Photoshop, Aperture, and iPhoto won't recognize your RAW files. I've been shooting RAW+jpeg so I'm covered. I assume that a RAW plug-in for Mac will be forthcoming, Fuji? Right now, your only options are a virtual PC or 3rd party apps that can convert the RAW files to DNG. Lame.
VINE VOICEon September 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The F800EXR produces some very good results, if you are willing to take some time to explore and play with all the features and options. But there are some noticeable shortcomings that depending on the user may or may not be significant. Rather than go feature by feature, I will spell out the pros and cons I have found and some of the things I like best and worse about the 800EXR.

Pros:
* Great build quality. The feel, look, and solidness of the camera is very noticeable. It feels great to hold and use.

* Very easy to use menu with a main button and 2 function keys. When you change shooting modes it is very easy to access the different options that then become available to you. There is a main menu button then a function key. There is also an fn `shortcut' key that works in some modes that gives you quick access to say changing the film ISO. Taken together after a little use, very easy to get to a wide range of options. Very well done.

* Useful and a good variety of shooting mode options. I will list my favorites.

* The EXR mode is a fully automatic mode and for quick shots has been producing good reults. It has some sub-options: EXR Auto, resolution priority, High ISO and low noise, and D-Range priority. I generally use the EXR Auto but the D-Range is good for bright shots outdoors.

* Program AE. I use this mode a lot. It is fully programmed for shutter speed and aperture but gives you quick access to ISO and White balance (there are a number of preset white balance modes, such as florescent lighting), and various options for Auto Focus. I overall use this the most.

* Scene Mode. The range of options is impressive. Many standard options that you have probably had on previous point and shoot cameras. But there were some new ones for me. There is a `Cat' scene mode and a `Dog' scene mode for instance. We only have cats and the cats didn't seem to mind or was there a noticeable difference in Dog mode. Some of the modes though are very helpful. I talk more about this mode below, but Indoor Party mode is very useful.

* Advance Mode. A very strong feature of the 800EXR. You will find many useful options here. There are the 6 advanced filters mentioned in the product description above. But there is also a very good panorama mode that you can do up to 360 degrees. Also something called Pro Focus which I love. I had been looking for this in a point and shoot. It will produce a sharp portrait with a blurred background. There is a Pro Low Light mode that does give decent photos indoors as long as there is enough light from windows or lamps, flash is disabled in this mode. There are also options for selecting a particular color to be reproduced and all other colors are monochrome. So you have some greens, but everything else is monochrome if you choose the green option.

* Very good wireless transfer to smartphones. I had an iPhone 4 and these are the steps. You need to download the Fujifilm Camera Application. To wirelessly download pictures you can select up to 30 photos (but not videos). The camera will set up its own local wireless network that you connect to. After connecting you go to the Fujifilm app and select connect. The pictures will then download. It has worked for me dozens of times smoothly each time. I may have to connect a couple of times but it always works.

* Very good on camera in real time red eye reduction. Best red eye reduction I have ever seen in a camera and it will do it in real time and save the corrected photo.

* You can enter video mode with the push of a button rather than having to change the picture shooting mode you are in.

Cons:
* Depending upon the lighting conditions and the mode you have selected it is very easy to get pictures with too much noise in them. While the EXR generally produces very good photos, under indoor conditions you often have to use other modes. Indoor shooting is also challenging because the flash is very limited. It has a narrow effect and doesn't illuminate much beyond 5 or so feet. To get good indoor shots beyond 5 feet or a larger area the most success I had was in the Scene or SP mode. There is an option for Indoor Party. You lose control of most options once that is chosen but it does produce decent indoor shots with people or items illuminated beyond five feet. There is also the Pro "Low Light" mode that works well as long as you have a medium or what I would call normal amount of indoor light.

* As mentioned above the flash is very limited. It doesn't go very deep or wide. It also takes a noticeable amount of time to recycle. More than other digital cameras I have used. The one advantage of the flash is that if you want say a picture of a child and you are up close to them. You can get a good picture with everything else dark.

* The display while good seems to extenuate noise. At first I thought I was getting consistently bad shots because they looked grainy and noisy on the screen. But after downloading to smartphone or computer they were actually good usable shoots. Something to keep in mind.

* One of the most annoying short comings is during video shooting. You can zoom in and out, but there is a very noticeable sound in your video when you do this. I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) (2012 Model) another camera in the same class as the 800EXR. This does not happen with the Sony.

* Autofocus is not as fast or as consistent as the Sony. Overall the autofocus does a fine job, but you will end up missing some shots. It gets confused at times and also is not quite as quick as the Sony. Of course if the flash hasn't cycled to back on any indoor picture needing flash is not going to be good. I have the Nixon P7000. The autofocus there got noticeably better after a firmware update. I did update to firmware 1.1 but I am going to be keeping my eye out for more firmware updates.

* Video quality is very good outside just good inside. Decent video inside but having the Sony I mentioned above, that camera takes exceptional indoor video. Better than any dedicated Camcorder I have ever had. Better than the 800EXR.

* No wireless option for downloading to a computer. You can only download to a smartphone or tablet, not a computer.

Overall this is a fine camera that has a lot of easily accessible and useful options. After taking some time to look through each program mode and all the options I found it pretty easy to get good to very good shots. Some shots can be a bit `noisy' depending upon the options you have chosen, but overall I am pleased with color saturation, sharpness, picture quality, and detail. The Sony camera I mentioned above overall for me is a more complete product. Primarily because of better video, slightly better outdoors, better indoors, and much less noise from zooming. Photo wise though you can get some very rich and vibrant photos from the 800EXR. But the Sony also produces a bit crisper, more vibrant, and accuurate picture. The 800EXR is very good, just a tad below.

At a family gathering or during a vacation, because of the superiority of the video and slightly better overall picture detail of the DSC-HX30V I would have to give it the nod. I feel like I have pictures AND video covered in my pocket with the Sony. With the 800EXR video is ok indoors nothing more and both indoors and outdoors if you zoom in video mode you will get an annoying noise. Overall, because of the satisfying pictures most of the time, the 800EXR gets a definite recommend from me, especially if you don't feel that zoom noise during video shooting will be a major drawback for you.
on June 12, 2013
I was searching for a camera for awhile and trying to base it on the best cameras of 2013, there were so many sites and this one came up on many of them. It wasn't number 1 on all, but it was listed because of its features and what it could do. Although just as everyone is different so are cameras therefore you can't get it all because enough is never enough. I am a novice photographer and it has many features that will take time to understand and use. So far its been a good camera, it takes clear pictures even at far distances. Drawback is that the instruction book is in Japanese only, but it contains a cd that you can upload the English instruction manual. Personally I prefer an English manual over a cd because I prefer to have a book when I need it quickly. I ordered the camera and used it once and then the next time I used it the shutter wouldn't completely open, therefore it could have either been factory damage or damage from the distance it came from. Order came all the way from Japan to Jersey therefore it made a long trip. Either way I was worried because I didn't want to spend so much money on repairs when I barely even used it and I wasn't at fault. I contacted the seller immediately and surprisingly they answered quicker than I thought basically the next day, which made me feel better because I felt like I could get the help I needed and in a timely manner. Seller stayed in touch and gave me detail to detail on things to do and how they could help me best until matter was resolved. The new camera was sent asap and I didn't have to spend on getting it replaced. I have never had such fantastic customer service before and made a bad experience into a good one.
on November 13, 2013
Awesome camera, I did a lot of research before buying a camera because I wanted a camera that took great photos but that was small and not that expensive; after some research I came up with a couple of choices and finally decided for this one as my previous camera was also a Fujifilm and worked great. First of all I love the look of the camera, it is small yet very good quality. I also love the fact that the camera can take pictures while recording video, that is just amazing!! very useful when you are at a concert because you don't have to chose between recording a video or taking a pic, and also the videos are recorded in a pretty amazing quality and with very good audio.
on October 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Fuji has a reputation for good digital cameras, and this one live up to it. They've managed to pack a 20x optical zoom (25-500 mm equivalent) in to a small, attractive, easy to hold package. The pictures it takes are very good for a small camera with a small sensor. They don't match my DSLR, but that would be asking too much. This is a camera to carry around, not lug around. It's a little larger than my cell phone, but takes much better pictures. It has a decent flash for indoor and low light shots, although you have to manually pop it up.

The camera has both an auto mode and an "EXR" mode, which is also auto, but allows the camera to make a wider range of choices about a picture. It seems to work very well; I suspect most people in the market for a good pocket camera would be perfectly happy never leaving this mode. It also has aperture and shutter priority modes as well as a full manual mode. There is a scene selection mode and a program mode. Finally, there is an advanced mode, which is sort of a special effects mode.

As all digital images are reconstructed from partial image information, the reconstruction can be altered to change the look of the image. For example, this camera can be set to mimic several film types, effectively varying color balance and saturation in ways similar to those film types. The advanced mode takes you beyond this, allowing you to add effects like extreme color saturation, blur like in a toy camera, or even black and white except for a single color rendered in color. For the most part these are things to play with in a camera like this; if you are serious about these sorts of effects you'll probably want a bigger camera and to add these effects in a photo editing program. Consider the B&W with a single color modes. First, if you use red mode you'll get all reds in the scene in red, not just the object of interest. Further, you are limited to what the camera chooses to call red, which might not match your choice. I took a picture of two red roses on a rose bush in this mode, and parts of the two roses weren't red enough to make the filter. Had I been able to choose for myself I would have chosen differently. I will say the panorama mode is cool.

This does bring me to one thing I don't like about this (or most compact digital) cameras: no viewfinder. Yes, my start in photography long predates digital. And I mostly use a DSLR, so I'm not as accustomed to framing with the display as many people. But with a long zoom it is hard to hold the camera out so that you can see the display and hold it steady as you try to frame; with a viewfinder you can brace the camera against your face to steady it. And the display is hard to see in bright sun, as are all displays.

While the camera being small is good in principle, and the design makes it easy to hold despite its size, there are drawbacks. The buttons are small and it's sometimes hard to press in the right place. The SD card is hard to extract because it is right against the door. Size is a trade off.

The printed manual is minimalist, but probably good enough for someone with experience with digital cameras. The CD has the full manual; interestingly, it is formatted in the same small, square page format as the printed manual, as if it had been intended as a printed manual.

For someone looking for a small camera with wide to tele zoom capability that takes good pictures at a decent price, the F800EXR is a good choice, even if you never explore the odd modes. If you want a relatively inexpensive camera to play around with, there is a lot to play with on this one. The various modes might also make it good for a child with an interest in photography. Keep in mind this is a very competitive camera category, so be sure to look into competing models before buying.
on June 30, 2013
The original lens cap was designed to attach insecurely and fell off 2500 feet below the surface in a gold mine in South Africa--possibly becoming a treasure for archaeologists of the future! Picture quality is good, but it is sometimes hard to see the screen in bright sunlight, so focusing on the desired scene can be hard to do.

See 1 answered question