on October 16, 2012
This receiver is pretty good all around considering what it costs. It is about the size of my Openbox S10 which is about the size of a cigar box. It comes with 2 remotes which are pretty small and slim.The receiver has a chinese plug and an adapter was included in the box along with a 2nd remote, rca cables, and an hdmi cable. In the back of the manual it lists CPU at NT78326 32MB flash memory, and 1Gb DDR2. I cannot find any other specs on the processor. It is rumored to be 554mhz but I have no spec sheet. There are no Composite outputs on the back just your regular yellow, red and white RCA hookups.

The X2 booted directly into the proper mode using the HDMI port. The menus remind me a lot of my Coolsat 6000. I could not find a manual pid entry anywhere. The satellite list goes from 61w all the way back around the world but unfortunately does not include American satellites. It has multiple LNB settings but only has 5150/5750 for my bandstacked LNB. I need 5750/5150. Scanning with that setting gives me the same results as my Coolsat 6000. If I manually enter transponders using the bandstacked lnb it works properly but gives wrong transponder numbers when blind scanning. The blind scan works OK and seems to be similar to the Openbox. The receiver blind scans in most channels provided you have a good signal with your dish. A funny thing I noticed before the box quit is that the signal meter would go from 98% or so and bounce down to 0 sometimes. When the box quit working it stays at zero no matter how good the connection. Hopefully they can address any hardware weaknesses.

I briefly messed with the multimedia setting and loaded my 16gb usb drive into the back. In the Movies portion it allows me to play .trp files along with other file types. I was unable to get those type files to play with my other reciever so that is a plus I guess. It has a few games in the "others" menu along with a calender and basic calculator. Lets see 2+2=4 so the calculator seems to work well. It lists wifi support but I am not sure what wireless dongles are compatible as of yet. However my older 802.11g dongle initialized right away and functioned properly.

I hooked up the ethernet cable to the back and am able to use the Weather function. I set the network to auto and it automatically connected to my router with no hassle. I set my local city and now I have local weather at the touch of a button. A bug I found is with the Weather is there are 4 settings. I am able to load 4 cities but when you try to switch through them only 2 came up even though they are still saved in the menu. Obviously a bug of some sort. The Youtube function works fine as of the 10/11 upgrade. I tried this with the firmware that the unit was shipped with and the 9/25 firmware to no avail but the latest firmware addressed this. It seems it would be a lot easier to use youtube if there was a keyboard option but I haven't heard anything.

It lists an upgrade by OTA and Network function. I tried the Network function and it froze up so I don't recommend trying this setting due to the risk of bricking the box. I was able to upgrade using a 4gb usb drive with no issues.

A cool function I noticed is if you press the red button in the channel list it will toggle from an SD list to an HD list. Another cool feature is when you have the program guide data you can move the cursor to a future program and there is an option to reserve that program for recording. I was able to record an HD football game with my 16gb usb drive with no issues.

An annoyance is when you edit a channel name and save it, a fresh blind scan will change the name back to the original name. Also it will list many channels as HD that are not HD. I am sure this is a firmware issue but it is misleading. Other receivers have a resolution listed in the channel info. This receiver does not but I am sure with a firmware tweak it could be fixed. Another issue is the low SR 16apsk channels will not lock. I have not tried any other 16apsk signals to verify if they work. It plays most low sr channels but the 16apsk ones did not work for me and a few misc. sub 2000 sr channels would not lock for me.

Some things I would like to see with this box would be: manual pid entry, more diseqc settings, more satellites allowed in memory, and listing of the resolution on the channel you are on plus some other internet functions like radio and google maps or mapquest.

While this box is not for beginners, it is a great replacement for older satellite receivers and for those who do not have a DVB-S2 receiver. It tunes in more S2 channels than average and I have not experienced any freezing issues.

The box does have some bugs but most of them have been worked out by the firmware updates in the few weeks I have had the box so it appears to be very promising. I am giving it 4 stars due to the fact that there are still bugs with the channel transponder information and the bandstacked lnb settings do not work properly. My box quit receiving signals for a few days. I think it was a firmware problem because I was going to return the box but I tried it one last time and it worked again. I was not offered a replacement. Once the firmware issues are worked out and the box can prove to be reliable then it will be worthy of 5 stars.

Overall the frequency of firmware releases has been very promising as x2 has added a fully configurable LNB setting along with fixing a few of the functions like weather, youtube, etc. A manual PID entry has been added. Hopefully they add more features like internet radio and other multimedia. A mapquest app would be terrific.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2014
To Find Galaxy 19 at 97w
You must do update via USB flash drive to include South satellites and you will need to download the file into a folder in your USB flash drive the flow instruction from the website.

Then you can find G19
after that choose Lnb frequencies 09750 & 10600.
This box is preset from the factory for PAL televisions... so if you live in the USA, you will need to reset that to "NTSC" by going to MENU, SYSTEM, then AV-settings. Click OK and arrow left& right to set to NTSC, and your picture will improve greatly.

I am getting about 250 free channels and 150 Radio stations.
This FTA receiver comes you wireless adaptor so you can connect it to the internet and watch YouTube.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2012
I set up to get FTA channels on G-19ku for many international stations and AMC 21 ku for PBS channels, works good had to add new sats since only programmed for other parts of the world than N America . Set up with HD TV using HDMI cable not provided.The receiver tells you on screen if programs are in HD.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2013
For the money, this thing works real good. So far, the only thing I couldn't get to work is the firmware update over network, haven't tried usb yet. Also haven't tried the motor control yet either. All in all, I'm very happy with this receiver.

Got a motor and this receiver runs it fine. Have also got it to update it's firmware over the network.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 9, 2014
I had no trouble setting it up.

The user interface (upgradeable firmware) is a bit kludgy in some places. For example, when I had set up only one satellite dish which had TV stations but no radio stations, pressing the TV/Radio button on the remote resulted in a lockup; however, the unit restarted fine after a power cycle.

There are a few other minor annoyances, like the loss of pre-installed satellite descriptions when upgrading the firmware, and the intense ultra bright blue LED display required me to manufacture a filter to fit over the display so that I could sleep in the same room.

The receiver has a 802.11t Ethernet port; however, I could not figure out how to record on my network attached storage. It is likely that this functionality is not provided. It did record to a pen drive placed in the USB port though.

Customer support was responsive; however, if you contact the company you will most likely not be dealing with a native English speaker.

I did not use this for anything other than free channels which is slim pickin's for English speakers in North America unless you want religious programming which is overrepresented on our satellites just as it is in congress, therefore, I did not use the Access card slot. If you are looking to set up free satellite TV, this unit will most likely meet your needs. The interface allows you to scan for FTA channels only, so you get 8 channels of PBS, news programming from around the world, Russian and Chinese propaganda channels (which are pretty good), and 134666 religious channels (all crap) here in god ferin north merika.

Overall the product is a very good value. It is small, uses little power, did not over heat, has quality video and audio output, and best of all it came with two remote controls.
on July 17, 2013
This box would almost be the best on the market, but it has endless issues. The EPG doesnt work for me, I dont know which channel im watching or the name of the program on the channel, it doesnt have or didnt come with the popular US satellites (echostar7 119w/110w etc), even the time and date resets if you unplug the box or you lose power (power outage). Channels are not labled and are a pain to lable, the software available to manipulate the box doesnt seem to work very well. To me, i think this box is a real headach and a pain in the neck.. However, if those things dont matter to you, it should be fine. It comes with a great package. Picture and sound quality is good. It doesnt freeze or atleast not alot, perfect size, not too big, not too small (little and neat)
Almost perfect, this box comes in real close.

1. Just need to solve the EPG. EPG needs to work, owners of the box need to know the program they are watching.

2. Need to have channel listing working. Box owners need to know which channel they are tuning in to.

3. It would be nice if the time and date does not reset when power is lost to the device. I dont know if this can be solved by/through software.

If these are, or can be solved, believe me, this would be the best box on the market for the price, and i can see where it would start increase in sales. (I know, because im looking to buy FTA boxes for my friends who are very intrested in the whole FTA TV setup. They just dont want to or cant afford to buy the other brands because of price). So i can predict sales increase.
I do hope the issues are sorted oout.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2014
Hi...its me again from Costa Rica, if somebody remember i wrote a very upset review about this box because the famous iks never works good. After a lot of patient conversations with the people from x2sat, finally they send me back a replacement reciever. There are things that i admire, first, they never say no to me and try to answer me correctly every time i did ask; no matter how hard were my reviews on the mails, in the person named Ma Wang, always gave me a good and kind answer. I'm amazed because normally the people who sales in the web, just don't care about us, but this person was different, always try to give me an answer, and the right one. This is the people that a business needs. So, after this, they return me a new reciever and they are specting what after this, and let me tell you, you have a new fan, and x2sat products as a company shows great responsability and cordiality. So Thanks for all your support.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2013
1/27/2014 update - revising to five stars for your customer service. My wi-fi issues have been resolved, seller shipped another version of x2 wi-fi adapter with external antenna free of charge. Thank you.

Best value for the buck for FTA usage. Shipped with the latest firmware from Nov. 03. Blind scan work well, as good as on OPENBOX S9. There are bugs, however. After blind scan, all the radio channels were shown as ??????????.??????. Deleted 'ALL' radio channels, then 'real' channel names were shown OK after that. Fast channel switching, very nice channel listing format and info display. The box felt warm after 1 hour, but not hot. Worked fine for me in USALS mode, drove the motor from 30W to 125W with no issues and locked on sats correctly. Picture quality: In HD 1080i, the HD quality was slightly worse than S9's on my 46" Aquos. This box appears to slightly over-sharpen HD picture. Tried to reduce sharpness using TV's adjustment, but that didn't help much. It's not too bad though. SD picture quality is also slightly worse than S9, appears a bit too soft. Color reproduction is excellent in both HD and SD modes. Did not test the optical out, but the regular L/R audio works fine, no dropouts, no static, good range. I did not notice any video/audio out of sync issues on either HD or SD channels after 1 hour of viewing. The box did not freeze once on me.
Media player is buggy. Does not recognize all the file formats it is advertised as. Won't go into details, but beware. IPTV and WI-FI works, but the dongle needed antenna badly. I had to get USB extention cable and do the WOK antenna mod for the dongle to get any receiption, and the router was only two walls away.

Overall, if you're wanting to use it strictly for FTA, it's a good little receiver that does DVB-S2 and USALS fine. Looking forward to new firmware releases.
on June 17, 2013
Using this to watch 97w with a cheap LNB, getting 240 TV channels and 130 radio. Easy to set up, doesn't seem to crash, DVR function works with a cheap USB stick. Overall much better device than I expected for the price.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The receiver arrived at time and it work excelent. Update by Usb or Network. Picture quality is good but not the best. However, I`m happy!