Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL TheGoodDinosaur

Price:$31.00 - $108.00

on January 26, 2013
This bag is perfect for day-to-day use. I personally do not think this is a "small" bag at all. To me it seems enormous, but I'm used to the tiny Kipling Alvar XS cross-body bag (and I'm petite). You can get a LOT of stuff in this bag and best of all, it's VERY light weight and comfy. This is important to me because I have had a back injury so big heavy messenger bags/purses won't work for me. The fabric is lightweight, sturdy and water-resistant but it still looks good and the quality of the zippers are amazing. I want one in every shade!

The main area is divided into two very roomy main compartments, each of which has its own zipper access at the top of the bag. One one side there is a small zippered pocket and a cord with a key clip (you can clip wallet, accessories or keys here!)
on the other side, there is a larger pocket big enough for a smart-phone and small wallet or other electronic device/camera, etc. and then a smaller pocket for small items and two pen-sleeves. Each side has PLENTY of room for stuff and I love the division because you can carry daily items on one side and leave the other side for papers, journal or small spiral notebook, sketch pad and pencils or an iPad. I had room for my daily items, phone, wallet, a small notebook, kindle with cover, and Water bottle just in the main compartments! There's two more zippered compartments on the front of the bag so it's easy to keep things organized and easy to find. I store hand sanitizer, lip-balm, tissues, small pencils, note-pad, mirror, etc. in these pouches.

* Lots of pockets and organization
* pen sleeves
* key clip
* tons of room
* lightweight
* water-resistant
* sturdy, cleanable,well constructed/great zippers!
* sleek design! (don't over-stuff to keep the flat profile)
* MONKEY key ring! (Who doesn't love monkeys? - If you don't, you can take it off)
* wide, comfortable strap that adjusts to wear cross-body or on your shoulder

* Although I find it perfect, the size might be too big to be "small" and too small to be big to people who carry luggage sized purses

* Two access points to the main compartments side by side on top makes it confusing and you have to get used to which side contains which items.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2012
It has pockets for everything.
It's water resistant.
It always gravitates to the right spot on your body.
It doesn't do that annoying thing some bags do where the straps slowly loosen over time.
You can put the thumb of the gorilla in its mouth.
An all-around great bag. I NEVER thought I'd spend so much for a bag. I had the same one from 17-26 before getting this one. I figured I should get something without little bats and skulls if I want to pretend I'm an adult. This is professional enough for going to interviews (maybe without the gorilla) but not so stuffy that I feel like a total tool wearing it.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
This is just perfect for a trip. When I took it out of the box I thought it was too small, but then it turned out to be like the TARDIS inside. I could not believe how many things I could fit in there. Strap is easily adjustable and the buckle doesn't slip, nor does the strap slip off my shoulder. When it was zipped shut, my brother saw a pickpocket try to unzip it surreptitiously on a Rome subway platform, and she gave up. The zippers are the best you will ever see on a bag of this price range. My sister was carrying a Baggalini of a similar size, and ALL of the zipper pulls broke off during the trip. I have another Kipling bag that is 17 years old, I use it several times a week, and there is NO damage to the bag or zippers. I tell everyone I know to buy Kipling luggage.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
This is, imo, a well designed and organized purse. I have a difficult time finding any purse I like and I've been using the same old beat up purse for forever simply because I couldn't find anything else I was willing to buy. Leather is too heavy and it's hard to find well made light weight purses. I wanted something feather light that I can wear as a cross body with a comfortable strap. I dislike shoulder purses because I feel like they're always slipping off my shoulder and I can never forget about them.

I had an older nylon lesportsac that came apart on me but the Kipling is much higher quality. The monkey is cute but not for me- I took him off and gave him to my little niece. I was worried that the slimness would make this purse awkward to get into the main compartment but that's not a problem. What I like about this purse is that the 2 zippered outside pockets are large enough to actually store things I use without having to go into the main compartments. They're big enough to hold things like sunglasses in a case, my wallet, cell phone, etc. Sometimes purses with different pockets are confusing but w/this one I intuitively remember where all my things are. I usually carry sunglasses, my wallet, car keys, cell, glasses or extra contacts in a case, lip balm/lipstick, hair bands and a small comb everyday. I have room left over if I need to put in a camera, makeup bag, book, small tablet, and light sweater although the purse is really stuffed with all that. I consider this a good purse for people who don't carry a ton of stuff but need extra room on occasion. I looked on Youtube for reviews before I ordered to get a better idea of what the purse would hold. I can't link a review here but type in kipling alvar and some should come up. Someone asked if an ipad would fit- I think it would. If you go to the kipling official website someone mentions in a review of the Alvar that their Ipads fits in fine.
Update- still love this purse. It's still as good as new. The zippers and overall construction are high quality and I think it will last for years. I have the lighter grey/silver one and the material stays very clean looking.
Update 3/12/14 One year update- still in great shape, the zippers are amazingly well made IMO. No loose stitches, still looks great, and I use this everyday and I'm not particularly careful with it either. Super well made.
2/14/15 update- use this purse everyday and love it. Thinking of buying a couple more in different colors. I've washed it a few times in the sink with dish soap-it's light grey so some dirt will show eventually. Still looks great, seems indestructible.
7/30/15 update- Bought a second one in black because I love this purse style- this is the first time I've bought the same purse in another color. If you'd like to see a video demonstration of this purse Zappos has one. A friend recently bought an expensive, well made, large leather purse and all I could think of was how uncomfortable that would be to have to carry around all day.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 9, 2011
I have this Kipling Alvar Crossbody in a Metallic Blue with Black Trim & a Black Cotton/Web Shoulder Strap. The measurements as shown in the description are correct - 0.5D x 11W x 9.5H inches - so make sure to measure to see if the purse suits your needs. If you overfill this purse, it will look like a big fat lump.

The interior will hold a big wallet, thin checkbook and some writing utensils. The front zipper pockets are best for small, flat things like notes, thin checkbook, business cards, and/or a pen.

The purse itself is a nice, casual looking purse (the shoulder strap makes the purse fit squarely in the casual description) that can be used as an everyday purse. It has a "different" enough look to make it stand out and look trendy but still subdued enough to go with a wide wardrobe.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
LOVE this purse! My daughter and I saw it at Macys for $69, but never on sale. Found it on Amazon for $51.95 with free shipping.
All colors available. The material is some kind of nylon and very strong, but weighs next to nothing! The strap is comfortable, and so easy to switch from shoulder bag to crossbody bag, without even having to take it off. Between my daughter and me, we have it in 3 different colors, and will buy more. Roomy enough to hold my bottle of water, wallet, phone, and misc stuff, but still lies flat against my side. Love it!
on May 12, 2011
I liked the plain sleek style of the Alvar when I saw it. This is a great bag for everyday: durable, with inside pockets for my phone and mp3 player and the side pockets hold extra stuff like my keys. My last Kipling bag was a Caronia I carried for years and the only flaw with that bag was I had to open the flap to access anything I needed. The side pockets of the Alvar are convenient and I don't have that hassle.

I love the design and construction. Even the color, espresso is neutral enough without being boring, it goes with nearly anything.

The only problem is the size, I imagined it would be larger than it was. I can pack a lot of stuff into my Alvar but not as much as I did in the Caronia. It is good for basic everyday use but some things have to be moved, deleted or carried separately.
on February 10, 2010
Perfect in every way. Very lightweight with tons of exterior accessibility. It is the perfect size- not too large or cumbersome but roomy enough to carry the days necessities. I would have preferred a better looking and feeling lining but I can deal with it due to the superior design of the rest of the bag.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2014
Really like the color of this bag. It holds a regular size iPad if there's not a lot of other things. If no iPad then it holds two smartphones, a small camera , wallet, several lipsticks, comb and small iPad/tablet. Strap is sturdy and hangs close to the body. Looks best if not overfilled.
on December 6, 2013
I wanted a bag that I could use as a purse, as well as fit my iPad and maybe a diaper, snacks, and toy in it. This bag fit the iPad Air without the case but really nothing else well. It's designed for thin flat objects. When I put my small wallet into it, the bag poofed out and lost shape. If you don't have a lot of odd shaped items to store in your purse, this could work. I thought the gorilla was cute and the material was good quality. But the bag is just too small depth-wise to be of much use for me. It would be great to carry a book, iPad, checkbook or a long flat wallet. But anything thicker than 2 inches would be too big to fit well. I have a small tupperware (4 oz) container for snacks for my son, I could stuff it into the bag but it stretched it out so badly it looked terrible and I was afraid to try to zipper it closed.

I think the bag could fit a lot, if the items were all fairly uniform in shape and thin and if the person doing it were organized. That's just not me.