Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Columbia Men's North Plains Waterproof Trail Shoe
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 27, 2013
The first thing that we do (and you should do too) when we purchase waterproof shoes is to conduct a home waterproof test, because with mass production in Asia, you never know.

To conduct the test, we fill our very clean sink with cold water approximately 3 inches.

While it is filling we run just the toe section of the shoes under the tap for 1 minute each holding them at an angle to make sure that the water only hits the front of the shoe.

When the sink is up to 3 inches, using a completely dry hand to hold the shoe from the inside, with the laces inside the shoe, we dip the toe section ONLY of each shoe into the sink until 3 inches from the toe of the shoe are covered in water, and hold it steady there for 30 seconds.

Afterwards we place both shoes down on a towel and wait 15 minutes to see how well the waterproof material blocked the water.

In the case of this Columbia shoe, the left shoe was completely dry and passed.
Unfortunately the right shoe had a puddle of water in it--the water basically ran completely through the top toe part of the shoe as if there was no insulation at all.

Shoes returned.
1414 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
Order a half size larger and they'll fit your normal size. Other than that they are a comfotable shoe. Haven't tested the waterproof yet.
on January 4, 2014
...once I got the size right they are great shoes!! Order a half size larger and they will fit perfectly!
on June 22, 2014
These really aren't a bad shoe. They look ok and feel decent on my feet, but they aren't waterproof. I have never had these shoes fully submerged in water, but I have walked through very wet grass (short grass) for extended periods of time and my feet were soaked. Not a bad shoe, but they shouldn't be advertised as waterproof.
on February 20, 2014
I like these trail shoes very much, but they do run rather small. I normally wear a size 13 and ordered the same. They were a little to snug. I sent them back and have ordered the same shoes in 14's. Amazon provides free return shipping on this item, so it seemed like a win-win to me. I have an older pair of these same shoes and love them. They were 13's. I guess Columbia has shortened the sizing on the toe box since then.

I do, however, have one warning about these shoes. There is a mesh material that overlies a neoprene-like inner covering as seen in the picture. For general use they do very well, but I used the old pair in the fall to do some upland bird hunting and they collected burrs and stickers like a magnet. I spent more than an hour (with a pair of tweezers) plucking the burrs out of the mesh / neoprene lining. These are great for daily wear if it lacks a need for bushwhacking, but might not be the best choice if you're going to be field stomping.
on January 9, 2014
Got these for work everyday when I am in and out especially first thing in the morning when I am outside walking around in the wet grass. they work very well for that. After 3 1/2 months however the webbing on the toes busted out. I am planning on sending them back to Columbia to see if they are covered under their warranty. 1 year for materials and workmanship defects, I just have to get around to doing it. Otherwise I loved them and wore them 6 days a week.
on April 27, 2014
I should have listened to the reviews.

This is an excellent shoe. I wear it for ordinary urban walking and it sees heavy use at that. It's light, comfy, and the waterproofing works exactly as described. I've modified mine with Lock Laces and they work very well together.

My one complaint is the sizing. I originally had to return a shoe in my usual size because it was far too small. I find that ordering one full size (two half-sizes) above my usual gives me the correct fit. This isn't just a case of "slightly small for its size".

When ordering, be sure to review the return policies of your seller to ensure you can get a free exchange or return if the sizing isn't right.
on September 16, 2015
I found these shoes to be comfortable, light weight and good looking. These were just what I was looking for.
I use these to take my dogs walking on dirt trails and in grassy parks. Walking in wet grass is no problem as the shoes keep my
feet perfectly dry. That's a big necessity for me.

The traction on the bottom of the shoe is very good and I replaced the factory insole with an athletic, cushioned insole. Walking
is far more comfortable now than with the factory insole.

I think the back of the heal could be a little better at supporting the foot, but it's not terrible. These are good for walking or running trails and light
hiking. For intermediate to heavy hiking, I prefer a hiking shoe. I learned the hard way that hiking trails rated intermediate to difficult can easily cut a trail running shoe to shreds.
on December 26, 2013
I am very pleased with these shoes. They're well constructed and the comfort and fit are perfect for me. Upon receipt I began wearing them and have had not one bit of discomfort. They're very lightweight as well. I liked them so much I took a pic of them to send to my family members. haha! I highly recommend this shoe.
on August 20, 2015
I used these on a recent trip to Costa Rica. The bottom grip is terrible. Kept slipping and falling. Had to work supper careful the whole time and make sure I had a firm hand grip on something or risk injury. Furthermore, not at all water proof nor water resistant.
review image