Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carhartt Men's Rugged Cargo Short in Relaxed Fit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 5, 2015
I decided to wait a year to write my review. I have 5 pair of these shorts and wear them nearly every day at work.......and often when I'm not at work. I have tried many different brands of shorts over the years. These shorts have some definite obvious pros and a couple of serious cons.

First the good (and why I just ordered 3 more pair).
1. They are comfortable, fit well, and the length is not too short, not too long.
2. Probably the biggest reason for the reorder is the stout zipper and riveted button, I can't tell you how many pairs of shorts I've ripped the button
off of and just decided at that point that they were headed for the trash. I have yet to have a button or snap failure.
3. Pockets snap shut, they don't get all wild like velcro pocket flaps do, and I use them to secure stuff all the time, also the pockets have ample
room for my smartphone, 2 sets of keys, and ample wallet space.
In summary they work very well in terms of fit and function.

Now for the bad, and this just might be a deal breaker........
1. These things fade fast, I mean real fast. In just a year, the brown ones are the same exact color as the tan ones, and the green ones are as
light as the tan.....just in a greenish hue. I never use hot water to wash them, and use gain laundry detergent.
2. They stain easily, and because the color fades so fast, they look like hell in a hurry. 2 out of the 5 pair are no longer presentable enough for
work.
3. The fabric tears at the front corner of the pockets, it would be nice if they were reinforced just at this joint.....lots of shorts "fall short" in this
area.

In summary, I have to say that I would recommend them........and I have purchased more. These are my go to shorts mostly because of the function of the snapping pockets and the fit........but durability is seriously lacking for wearing the Carhartt name. I have several other articles of Carhartt clothing, and these are by far the most delicate. I do also have a pair of the ripstop shorts, that fabric seems to hold up much better and is more colorfast.....but I don't like the way they fit as much, they have a slimmer fit.
review image
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2014
I have 2 pairs of these shorts from several years ago and absolutely love them.Fit/sit well comfortable, can load up the pockets. and durable (no zipper issues, or tearing anywhere). However,they have sustained their fair share of stains. So I was looking to get 2 new pairs. Since my current size requires me to cinch up the belt to hold them up, I figured I'd benefit from 1 size smaller. Wrong!
Totally different fit, different color. Now they're made in China???? come on.
I really like Carhartt, but their quality control is seriously lacking as of late. I guess I'll have to go looking for a pair of Riggs shorts that I like.
Very Disappointed. and to make matters worse, Amazon no longer carries the size that I currently have. Oh well.
on March 10, 2016
Very disappointing with sizing. I ordered two pair of shorts within the same Amazon order; the shorts were from two different name brand manufacturers. The shorts are either mislabeled or they run two sizes small. I hold them up to the other brand, and it is clear they are smaller. I run a tape measure around the waist and it appears to confirm that these shorts run small. I will not purchase again.
on June 12, 2013
not real happy with the shorts. Bought a set of carhart shorts7-8 years ago that are finally showing signs of wear, bought these to phase out the old ones, and found out they are nor near the heavy dury ones I hoped they were
on March 3, 2016
Bad Quality Assurance Check.... the rivet snap button in front above zipper was a mis fire and was laying in the bag 2 pieces. What the carp? I guess I can go buy a button and sew it on, but, should I have to do that..
on July 24, 2013
I have never worn pants like these before. Any brand, any style. These are without a doubt going to be long lasting do to the quality of the material and the way they are sewn together. I have recently retired, not needing long legged pants any longer I tried these and boy am I pleased. These are without a doubt the most comfortable pants I can recall wearing. I am truly happy.
on May 9, 2013
My size is 34 and I had to purchase a size 36 because 34 was way too small.
The product was improperly labeled or cut way too small. Should be made in America.
on October 3, 2015
I got these shorts for my husband for his birthday in late July. I've always had good luck with Carhartt, and appreciate this brand's durability. These are one of several pairs of shorts he has, and are used only after work for general wear. I've noticed this specific pair has developed several small tears near the pockets and the edges are fraying along the hem. It's not terrible, but considering these shirts are only 2.5 months old, aren't worn daily, and are not used in heavy labor, I'm a bit surprised to see the wear and tear.
on May 26, 2015
Very comfortable fit. Washed and dried and didn't shrink. Love the snaps on the back pocket flaps. There is a cell phone pocket on the outside of the cargo pocket on the front right leg - very convenient. Bought my first pair at a big box retailer. Ordered second pair from Amazon. Very happy with this purchase.

Update - After having owned these shorts for slightly over a month, there is already a wear spot/hole where the cargo pocket is on the right leg. This is very disappointing and is a huge product flaw. The other pair of shorts that I bought is also starting to show the same wear spot on both cargo pockets. I will not be buying these shorts again.
on June 10, 2015
I'm 6'1" 240 lb they fit like "low rise", a bit tight in the crotch, the zipper is short by an inch and a half, the zipper is stamped YKK but it does not have the feel of my other YKK zippers it could be a knock-off, the front pockets are too shallow and the fabric is light weight. The belt loops are attached at the very top of the waist panel, this allows any sag in the waist panel to expose your skin to the belt. The side and inseams are triple stitched the remaining seams are double stitched except the "bottom" of the front pockets that are only single stitched. They could be "Rugged" as their name indicates but I can't wear them long enough to test that claim.