Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on January 13, 2014
I bought this machine in Target 2 days ago, when my Bunn coffee maker started to leak after almost 7 years of faithful service.
The first thing you notice with this machine is a strong plastic smell that permeates the entire kitchen when you take it out of the box. I ran water through it several times and there is still a very strong plastic smell from the machine. It smells like black trash bags. This smell also affects the coffee, but it seems to be gradually going away (at least I hope this is the case, and I'm not getting used to the plastic smell and taste).

The reason I purchased this machine is because it is rated at 1200W, and most other machines are rated at 800W.
It mentions on the box that the coffee is brewed at an optimal temperature, and at 1200W this claim is believable.
The 800W machines just can't get the water get hot enough coming out of the spray head, and the resulting coffee is too bitter. (The one exception is Bunn, which keeps all 12 cups of water in an internal tank at the correct temperature)
There is another manufacturer called Technivorm whose machines are rated at 1400W, but they cost around $200.

If the smell goes away, this machine would be a great buy.

Update 1/16/14: I've ran water through the machine every day, I've tried vinegar etc, and the smell persists. It is a lot less than before, but it is still clearly detectable after 1 week.
I would urge anyone buying a machine like this to taste and smell plain water that has been run through it, since coffee can mask the smell to a degree. At this point I think I'm going to be returning the machine. Even if the smell becomes undetectable, there is still going to be chemicals leeching into the coffee for some unknown period of time. It is a shame Black and Decker can't make a coffee machine using food grade materials.
on October 16, 2013
Purchased this coffee maker about 6 months ago in a rush as our prior maker died the morning before a cross country move. We purchased this coffee maker at a Target store. The coffee doesnt taste too bad and I enjoy both the auto and strong brew options. What I dont like is that it beeps to say its done brewing but continues brewing for another 5 minutes after beeping. It constantly drips when the carafe is removed (the hot plate coating is now peeling off due to this). The carafe also hemorrages water or coffee when pouring. I lose almost an entire cup when pouring water into the maker - I have to hold a towel against the carafe when pouring and then have to wring the towel out.
on August 26, 2013
I had a small B&D 5-cup coffee maker and needed something bigger. Since the old one made a fantastic cup of coffee, I stuck with the same brand. What a disappointment. I've been using this machine for a week now and my coffee still has that burned plastic/artificial taste to it that you sometimes get with brand new machines. But it's not going away. The filter basket needs to be locked into place or coffee will spill everywhere. You can't tell from the outside how much water you poured in. The machine is very noisy, it sounds the whole time like it's sucking the very last bit of water. The beeper that tells you the coffee is done, beeps when only half the water has gone through, so about 5 minutes before the coffee is actually done. The coffee gets so hot, you can't even touch the machine. I like my coffee with lots of milk and still burn my mouth, I have to add ice to it now. (I know some people love their coffee piping hot, but I don't)
If the plastic taste doesn't go away, I'll have to trash this machine, I can't stand bad coffee. Next time I'll do my research, like I usually do, but this maker was on sale at Target so I got it. What a mistake!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At the current price point that this coffee maker is selling for I would presume it was in the budget category. I'm happy to report however it's actually a very good maker and has features (quick brew, timer etc) sometimes not found on other sub fifty dollar makers.

Things I look for when reviewing a coffee maker: time to brew, leaks and drips, taste and ease of use. Sure I factor in looks and aesthetics but for me no drips and good, strong taste are high on my list. Happy to report that the CM4000S passed with flying colors. It brewed 10 cups in about nine minutes on the strong option and the carafe didn't leak even when I pulled it out as it was being filled - thanks to the thirty second feature.

I did run through water with a little vinegar before use and afterwards enjoyed a very respectable brew. So don't be fooled by the price; this is a surprisingly good coffee maker and one I definitely recommend.
on July 18, 2014
If you prefer your coffee with the taste of plastic, this one's for you.Otherwise, It is not cost effective when you factor in the cost of vinegar,lemon juice or whatever is recommended to get the plastIc taste and smell out of the coffee (in theory). And you'll still be going out to buy your coffee. B&D's customer service ignores customer inquiries on this.Apparently this problem is not uncommon in products made in China. AVOID BUYING!!!
on June 15, 2013
Makes an excellent, hot cup of coffee. However, the basket is poorly designed -- it will not stand on countertop, so it must be filled as it sits in the machine. One side of the handle pulled out of its attachment and I am unable to get it to stay back in. Also, the LED clock is poorly lit and can't be read in most lights. All minor points, to be sure, but worth redoing on the next incarnation of the coffee maker.
on November 3, 2014
First, the good things about this coffee maker (Trust me – it will be short): it does make coffee and, aesthetically, it has a rather pleasant appearance. The lid closes tightly. The carafe fits snuggly in the hot-plate reservoir. The filter basket has a handle.

It is distributed by Black & Decker, a highly respected and trustworthy brand name.

Now for the bad. The operator’s manual is available as a download. The ‘on’ button is obvious, but the ‘strong’ selection isn’t really a button, it doesn’t depress when you push it, and nothing lights up to tell you if it’s on or not. No matter how slowly I pour water from the carafe into the unit, or coffee into a cup, when the carafe is full it dribbles. Within weeks of purchase, errant drips of water had eroded the paint on the hot-plate, which then stained the carafe. There is a buzzer alert when the coffee is done, which is a good thing, but it is one of such a long, shrill, piercing note it called all the neighborhood dogs to my yard and gave me a start every time.

Even some of the good is bad. The tight-fitting lid prevents steam from escaping, condensing in beads which then drip down the lid when opening. The carafe fits SO snuggly it is necessary to hold the unit with one hand while removing the carafe with the other and, when removing the carafe before all the coffee is brewed, the interrupt doesn’t take place quickly enough to prevent coffee from dripping on the hotplate. And while the handle on the filter basket is handy, forgetting to move it out of the way when dumping the full coffee filter can create something of a tangled mess.

Worst of all, it is distributed by Black and Decker, a highly respected and trustworthy brand name. (Yes, I know I said that before, but the sad fact is that Black & Decker is willing to put their name, and reputation, on this badly designed and poorly executed machine.)

I used this unit for four months, each time with great annoyance. It is now stored away in the box from my new Mr. Coffee. I have convinced myself I’m saving it for back-up, but in truth I’m only waiting for a few more months in order to assuage my penny-pinching conscience – even though it only cost $29 on sale at Target – before I pack it off to Goodwill. So sad.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We've had the Black & Decker CM4000S for a month now, and all I can really say is that it is "serviceable". That is, it gets the job done. I do think that $50 (as of this date) for this is a bit much, and that it really falls in the range of $30-35 coffeemakers. Our Hamilton Beach that I purchased 10 months ago was a better value, and I feel it makes "bold" coffee that is closer to what I expect on a "bold" setting.

About 5 or so minutes to brew a full pot, which is excellent. Form factor is a bit larger that what is required for a 12 cupper, but it did fit under our cabinet. Clock and timer are fine and easy to set (but no backlight, for $50??). At $30, it would be a great coffeemaker. At $50, it's just okay.
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our old coffee pot finally had it, it was leaking all over the place, the clock stopped working....I believe we got everything out of the old gal we could.

Choosing a coffee pot is important to us, we are passionate about our coffee...and whatever is going to brew it better be reliable, look good, brew a good pot, and functional. This one is.

We have been using it for weeks now and there is no issue what so ever. Easy to use, if you want a cup while its brewing go ahead and get one!, it makes a perfect steaming delicious cup of joe.

The coffee maker itself is sturdy, well made, fits well on our counters and stylish.
on March 8, 2016
The worst coffee maker I ever owned! Bought it in a rush when my pot broke on Thxgiving morning and I couldn't find a replacement. It is very noisy, hisses and blows out so much steam that at least one cup of water evaporates. No water filter, display is useless because it doesn't light up. The handle on the filter basket folds down when I drop the filter in the trash so that the coffee grounds fall all over the place. The inside of the lid and the top of the machine are covered in so much water after the brewing is done that I have to carefully wipe it down to avoid a wet counter. When I pull out the pot, water drips down from the bottom of the filter basket onto the warming plate and the filter basket itself also drips all over the place when I take it out. The lid has to be pressed down very hard to properly close and the on/off bottom also requires some force. The auto clean features is nice but there is no indicator that the machine needs to be cleaned. Considering the price this is as bad as it possibly could get.