Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 39-Inch|Change
Price:$352.57 - $714.32

on November 20, 2013
Not happy with this TV and not happy with Vizio. My mom bought this TV for us on August 31st. Approximately one month later, it would start to just randomly shut itself off then restart. I did some googling and discovered that this is a common issue for Vizio TVs. (We'll be sitting here watching Netflix or regular TV and all of a sudden the screen will go black then the "V" logo will appear and it will be on regular TV. It even logs me out of Netflix completely.) I tried unplugging the TV and holding down the power button and then plugging it into a different outlet. That didn't correct the problem. On October 26th, I sent an email to Vizio to request that they fix or replace the TV. They suggested doing the same thing I had already done (unplug, hold power button down, etc.). I tried that again and the TV went a whole 2 days without restarting.

So I emailed them again on November 14th and they gave me a customer service number to call. I called that number today and the guy on the phone told me that it would take about 5-6 days to repair and they would send someone out. Then he realized that the TV would have to be sent in and was going to schedule that. So basically they wanted me to send in this defective TV and then sit here with no TV for the next two weeks while they fix it (one week for shipping back and forth, one week for repairs.) This isn't acceptable, especially for a product that apparently has this problem a lot and is clearly defective. It's a $250 TV. Shipping and repairing it would cost that much. I just want the stupid thing replaced. Why should we have to sit here and go two weeks without out when the problem is on their end? I can get my car repaired in less time than that.

Bottom line: don't buy this as your main or only TV unless you're prepared to spend a couple of weeks without it so it can be repaired.

UPDATE January 2014: In spite of many attempts to get this resolved with Vizio, I have reached a dead end. They tell me to send a copy of the receipt and when I do, they tell me that large files have to be sent to a "photos at vizio dot com" email address. I've done that twice now. The first time, I received a reply that no cases with my incident number or email address can be found even though I used the exact same case number and email address as I've been using for over two months and numerous emails. The second time, I received absolutely no response.

Vizio's idea of customer service seems to be "ignore the customer and eventually they'll give up." They don't care if they lose a customer because another gullible one will come along.
2525 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
This is an excellent no-frills smart TV. the picture is excellent and the sound is surprisingly good. While it is missing some features and has fairly limited menu options the excellent picture quality and built in apps make this well worth the low price.

After living with the TV for less than a week my main complaints are:
- can't rename channels
- no channel favorites
- firmware updates seemed to wipe out most of the customization I'd done to the apps and widget dock
- cheap remote without lighted buttons

Pros
- great picture
- decent sound (I had assumed I'd immediately need a sound bar but have decided I can wait for now)
- built in Netflix, Amazon, etc.
- attractive design with very thin bezel around the screen
- large screen size for a low price
1111 comments|347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
I had a 50" LG Plasma for 4 years until the switch unexpectedly broke. Given the age of the set and that it went through multiple moves where the packers didn't treat anything gently, it seemed best to find a replacement. The room that the plasma was in has a lot of windows and a huge skylight,which meant that the Plasma was almost unwatchable when the sun was out - the reflections off the glass were severe. I suppose I could have invested in blackout blinds, or bricked in all the windows but I'm not a fan of the dungeon aesthetic.

So, I figured a LED LCD screen would be good to try.

Pros:

1./ Price - $650 delivered (Prime) is pretty decent.
2./ Reflections - this screen is very visible even in bright light, which is great if you don't live in a dungeon or bonus dungeon.
3./ Smart TV - has the basic apps to watch Prime, Netflix, etc.
4./ Good looking - it has a narrow bezel which enhances the viewing experience. I am not sure what that's all about but people who come round say it.
5./ Brand - I know its a 'budget' brand but I've yet to meet someone say they regretted buying one of these things. :
6./ Image quality - surprisingly good. OK its not a plasma but if you calibrate it you get surprisingly good black levels. I don't play games so I'm not sure if it blurs when you're doing the wild thing with your boyfriends on Call of Duty 15 (no disrespect intended).
7./ Good sound for a panel- checked it briefly before plugging in the 5.1 system.

Cons

1./ In a dark room it is not as vibrant as a plasma. Then again, the super high end LCDs aren't either, despite the hype - and this is not super high end at all.
2./ It's apparently eco-friendly which means it's probably related to Al Gore and the Sierra Clubi some nefarious way.
3./ Thing weighs as much as a plasma - seriously.What's up with that?
4./ It's a bit thick but then so are all LCDs. Not Beyonce thick but there it is.
5./ Takes about 15 seconds to 'boot up'. Doesn't bother me but if you're a tier-one, high-speed low-drag, spec ops couch commando this is going to compromise your tv watching mission.

Here are some settings I stole earlier. They work well.

Picture Mode "custom"

Color temp "Cool" default set

Advanced Picture
Noise Red "low"
MPEG NR "low"
Color Enhancement "Rich Color"
Adaptive Luma "medium"
Film Mode "off"
Smart Dimming "on"
Ambient Light Sensor "off"
1212 comments|250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2013
Bought this TV after a lot of research looking for the best bang for the buck on a bedroom TV. TV's picture is AWESOME! My cable connection is just basic standard def, but still looks good. (I tried some over the air HD signals for a little while and it was an awesome picture.) I've streamed Netflix in HD and it looks very good. I still had to use my Comcast digital converter box (not real happy about that, but it's ok).

The one BIG issue you MAY run into is with the wireless connection to your router. I could not get the TV to connect wirelessly to my router at first. I have a basic Netgear wireless G router (WGR-614). Googled the issue and saw numerous reports from others about incompatibility between Netgear routers and Vizio TV's. Tried some of the solutions to no avail. Finally what I figured out is that the TV would not connect using WPA2-PSK (AES). I had to set my router to use both WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES) and the TV finally connected using the WPA-PSK (TKIP) security! The tip off that it was going to work was when I was in the on-screen keyboard screen entering the wireless passphrase it showed "WPA-PSK" above the passphrase entry box. Making this security change on my router is somewhat of a security risk, but in the rural area I live in I didn't mind. You should be aware of the possible security risk where you are if you run into the same problem.

Once I connected I tested out the Netflix app. It connected to my account and streamed my first test movie just fine (showed flipping between medium HD & high HD quality) with just some slight buffering as it got started. I haven't played much with other apps yet to report on them.

The remote does have tiny buttons, but it's not too awful for me. We have another Vizio TV and we are used to the Vizio menus.

All in all I think this was a good purchase. I knocked down a star due to the frustration of getting a wireless connection and the necessary downgrade in my router's security.
1010 comments|191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2013
I purchased this for our bedroom with a wall mount. I mounted this about 2 inches down from the ceiling, which gives it about 6' 4" of clearance under it on a standard 7' 10" ceiling hight.... perfect as the tallest person is me at 6'.... put a downward angle on the screen. Perfect for watch late night in bed. The TV has are great picture, remember on a smaller TV 720p is just great, anything more and you're waisting your money. The 60Hz refresh rate is also fine on a smaller TV. The benifit of this TV, which is hard to find in this size, is its fully WiFi enabled with all of the apps that are good for me (Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming, Vudu and Hulu Plus...... there are 24 pages of internet programming that can be installed. The only two that I use that are lacking are HBO to Go and Starz to Go.... This is a really nice purchase for the bedroom.
66 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2013
This makes a great bedroom TV where I dont have cable. Its a 10lbs 29" TV with built-in WiFi and all the streaming services you could ask for. This is the best feature built TV money can buy IMHO. You can even put video files on USB flash drive and plug them into the USB in the back and it has a great media player. So far has played many different media types successfully for me.
As others have mentioned, the size is a little odd when it comes to wall mounts. I bought a mount that was listed for 10"-24" TV's. As long as the mount is VESA 100x100 and under the specified weight limit then you're good. And since this TV is so light, it works just fine.
77 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2013
I will start with the good and work my way down:

-Style: This is one of the more stylish small TVs I have come across. The frame is very thin around the screen, as you can see in photos, so it looks pretty nice. It is not the thinnest TV ever, but it is still pretty thin and the connections on the back are vertically positioned, so you can place it back against a wall easily.

-Built-in web apps: There are quite a few to choose from, though for me the most important are Netflix, Amazon Video, Youtube, and Pandora. There are a host of other random things that I have little use for. The functionality is pretty much the same as I have seen on Roku, and it is nice to have all of that built into one device and on one controller.

-Sound: The speakers are surprisingly loud for such a small TV. They are relatively clear as well. Don't mistake this to mean that there's exceptional bass or highs or that it simulates surround well, or anything magical, it simply produces loud and clear stereo that is more than sufficient for a large bedroom, which is all I needed.

-Picture: Clear and bright, although there are a few jagged edges at times and the color depth does not quite compare to my Sumsung 50A550 50" Plasma. Then again, not much does. Perhaps with some tweaking I can make it a bit better. Overall, unless you're pretty picky and have a high-end TV to compare to, I don't think you will be disappointed. It is sharp and overall looks good.

-Tuner: Seems to pick up most of the channels in my area (over the air) but does not pick up as well as my Samsung. They both use the same rooftop antenna and the same signal booster and actually the Samsung's cable run is longer and goes through more devices but it does a better job of picking up weak channels. However, only the very weakest channels (40 miles away) are dropped, so I'm relatively pleased.

Now for the reason that it gets a 4 and not a 5:

-Wireless connectivity: This TV has built-in wireless. If you look at the instructions that come along with the TV though, you are basically informed that it is preferred to use a wired connection. I had no problem going through and setting up the TV to connect wirelessly to my router, and it seemed to connect just fine. I pulled up Netflix and browsed through and everything was fine. But I discovered that after 10-20 minutes of watching anything on Netflix or Youtube, the connection would drop and the built-in wireless would crash. It would not come back until I turned the TV off and back on again, sometimes not even coming back until I had unplugged and replugged the power cable. Pretty annoying. Not sure if its a problem with firmware or hardware. Certainly not a problem on my end. I run an Asus RT-N66U router and a Cisco DPC3010 modem, neither of which gives me any trouble (as they shouldn't, they are both pretty expensive devices) and all of my other devices (PS3, two laptops, two phones, and a wireless printer) are all maintaining perfect connections. So I ended up having to use a spare router as a wireless bridge and hook the TV to it with a cable, and now everything works great, but it was a pain to set up.

My overall impression is that this is a good TV. For the price, you simply cannot beat the features, but if all of the features do not work, are you getting the best deal? For me it was fixable with what I had at home, but if this is a problem with all of these units, you may not have all of the features you are promised. I can only hope this is an isolated issue. If it isn't a risk you are willing to take, you may consider getting a similar, less expensive Vizio TV with none of the internet apps and internet connectivity features and just spend 50 bucks on a low-end Roku.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
The picture is amazing, it's lightweight and narrow, and having the Smart Apps (Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon are my favorites) make me feel like I have finally caught up to the future in terms of technology. It's like having a Roku Player built right into the set!

This TV is a great price for what you get. I'm saving up to buy a larger one of the same brand for my livingroom.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
I would definitely recommend this TV to anyone looking for a smart TV on a budget. We don't currently have cable so we purchased it mostly for its internet apps. They work very well. The biggest downfall using the apps is the TV remote. Since it is not a full QWERTY keyboard, typing in what you would like to watch can be annoying. We use the YouTube app a lot but searching can be a pain without the full keyboard. Luckily, we downloaded the YouTube remote controller app and are able to set up playlists from our phone once we have the YouTube app up and running on our TV. Great solution! We also use the Netflix app and have had some problems with it. Every once in a while the show we are watching freezes up and then after a few seconds our TV turns itself off. We think it is just the NetFlix app itself because we haven't encountered this problem when watching it through our Wii or Xbox. Other than those few problems the apps work fast and well. I will be looking into getting Amazon Prime soon so I am able to access their streaming videos as well. We have also tried using a USB drive to load movies and shows onto our screen as well. Tips for anyone doing this, the video files that this TV can read are avi. and mp4. You need to have the TV turned off when plugging in your USB drive in order for the TV to recognize the device, as well as turning it off before removing it. Plays videos well; we ended up purchasing a USB drive specifically for watching videos and movies on the TV. This TV does not recognize large external hard drives. We tried using our 1.5 TB hard drive but it was not registering on our TV.
The picture quality is great, no complaints at all. I particularly love how thin the frame of the TV is around the screen; it gives you the most screen space possible. It is a bit bulkier in the back, not super thin as some TV's but it doesn't make a difference to me since no one is going to be looking at it from behind. All the hook ups are on the back and can be easily concealed. Power button, volume buttons and all other TV control buttons can be found on the left side of the TV. It took no time to install and set up our TV and it looks great! This TV really packs a punch with all it has to offer for it's price. We've had our TV now for 2 months with little to no complaints and love it. Many other smart TVs go for hundreds more and this one has it all for a much smaller price. I love Visio products and would definitely purchase from them again.
1212 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2013
Just got this baby less than 24 hours ago. So this review covers initial impressions, ease of setup, etc.

OK, I use this for a bedroom TV, using OTA (over the air) tv signal. I also have the VIA (Vizio Internet Apps) functioning via WIFI.

Packaging - box weighs about 15 lb, so this is light weight. This can be good or bad, we will see. Being light weight helps ensure safe shipping, so that is good. Arrived from Amazon, via UPS, in good shape.

Open to watching TV was probably 45 minutes - this included changing antennas (requiring 2 scans). I pulled off foam blocks, removed from plastic bag, located the base and attaching screw. The base is held on with a single screw, Allen wrench included. Easy peasy. Set on stand, attach power cord, put batteries in remote, connect antenna.

On power up, asks for either home use, or store demo, what type of signal (cable or antenna), and then scans for channels. The bedroom is on the second floor, and the antenna is a Mohu Leaf - so I was able to pull in plenty of stations, with very good signal quality.

Next I setup Netflix, and Amazon Prime - this probably takes 15 minutes for both. Typing in the passwords with the remote is tedious, but that is the same with all remotes, and long passwords.

Initial impression of picture/sound quality - this is a 720p TV, so that considered, very good. sound is fine, and allows external speakers.

Price is very good, and overall value is high. Vizio makes a great consumer level product, and this is no exception.

I generally only give 5 stars to truly outstanding products, so you may find my 4 star rating a bit low. Easy to recommend, especially given the price.
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse