Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung HW-F450 2.1 Channel 280-Watt Soundbar (2013 Model)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 14, 2013
I bought this for my samsung LED smart tv as the sound on it is not good. Here are my impressions

1) You have three ways to connect to this sound bar: using hdmi, optical in or sound share(works only with compatible samsung tvs).
2) There is only one hdmi in/out so you can connect only one device(blue ray/dvd/game console/roku) directly through it. So in most cases, you will end up connecting your devices to TV HDMI ports(which I have 3) and then connect your TV to the sound bar.
3) If you use hdmi port to connect tv to sound bar, then the sound bar will not start when you start the tv automatically. You either have to start it separately using sound bar remote or spend extra money to buy universal remote. If you own latest samsung tvs(ES9000+) I think you can use your tv remote to start the sound bar.
4) If you use optical IN to connect tv to sound bar, you cannot control the volume on sound bar.
5) If you use sound share to connect samsung tv to sound bar, it uses bluetooth. I dont know if this effects sound quality and it also doesnot auto start/stop the sound bar.
6) The sound quality is good compared to internal tv speakers, but if your home can be setup for home theater speakers, go with them. But if you cannot setup home theater or your budget is not more that 250$, sound bar is best option.
7) This sound bar works as expected. I did not try sony or other brand sound bars, but my gut feeling is you better buy the sound bar which is same brand as your tv for better compatibility.
8) The setup took less than half an hour. The subwoofer is wireless though it requires power connection.
9) I used the bluetooth capability to listen music on my android phone. It works perfectly. Do not compare sound quality with full home theater system.
10) If you have samsung tv and are looking for better sound options with budget around 250$ this is the best alternative. This is best for watching movies/tv. There is no difference between this and hwe450 model except for the sound share option I think.
2121 comments|410 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
I guess I'm the first one to have this new system. Though an Amazon Prime member, I ended up getting this at a local retailer here in the Seattle area Friday, the 15th of March, and they'd just received them in that afternoon. Id heard the HW-450E system that morning and was sufficiently impressed with both TV sound and BT from my iPhone 5 to stop looking at the alternatives. There are 320 reviews of the HW-450E system on amazon, so this is a popular sound bar. I don't have to much to add to those except to say that this very unobtrusive system is replacing an Onkyo 7/1 system many times its physical size and which was MUCH more complex. At this point in my life I want SIMPLER solutions. The HW-450F gives me that:

1. I get reasonable sound compared to what my 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma can produce on its own
2. I get a BT wireless subwoofer that I can place anywhere in the room. Having it behind my chair really augments the bass
3. I get BT music from any of my iOS devices. Sweet!
4. I get a reasonable facsimile of surround sound. Enough to make movies interesting
5. I get a much smaller, easier to set-up package. From box to playing sound in 15 minutes

There really aren't that many changes from last year's 450E. Size is the same, performance is the same, looks are very similar.

This is a nice system and though not a stand-in for an audiophile home theatre system, it'll work for me and I'm super glad to not have tons of wires running everywhere.

Highly recommended!
66 comments|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2013
We were looking for sound bar to go with Samsung 7500. So many reviews talked about having to use several remotes to control different components. We wanted to use our cable remote for everything on the TV and only use the Samsung remote to switch functions if necessary.

We settled on this unit because the Samsung hype said it connected wirelessly via Samsung Soundshare and reviewers said sound was a good improvement over TV speakers.

Plugged in sub woofer, plugged in sound bar, turned on power, function to TV, went into TV setup and activated Soundshare
Note: Soundbar says connection successful before TV finishes, so be patient. A few minutes later TV asks do I want to use Soundbar as speaker. Yes and away we go.

Immediately notice the improvement in sound when switched from TV speaker to sound bar.
Cable remote controls the volume and turns everything on and off. No need to program cable remote.
Cable remote control s TV and TV controls Soundbar.

Highly recommend for Samsung TV users due to very good sound and easy easy connection to Samsung TV
11 comment|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2013
Four stars for features and sound quality. Misses the 5th star for brain dead firmware and instructions that are just flat out wrong.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are connecting the sound bar to a TV that supports ARC (I have a Samsung model), do NOT use the HDMI pass-through mode illustrated in the skimpy instruction pamphlet that comes with the soundbar. It will NOT work correctly when installed like this. Instead, plug your video source (cable box) directly into the TV and then use the ARC-enabled HDMI port from the TV and plug that into the soundbar's HDMI OUT port. This is the *only* configuration I found that actually worked correctly... the soundbar will automatically detect the ARC input and use it consistently. Trying to use the HDMI passthrough mode, the soundbar would routinely start up in "D.IN" input mode and have to be manually switched to HDMI. Why not just default to the mode it last used??? The HDMI passthrough mode also stopped ARC from working when trying to watch other sources (DVD player, media player, etc), which is exactly the opposite of its intended behavior.

It's possible that Soundshare would also work as well as TV ARC, but my TV does not support that so I cannot say.
66 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2014
The good:
Setup was a breeze and it sounds perfect right out of the box. The sound fills our living room and the sound bar looks great!

The so-so:
I would suggest also purchasing an HDMI or optical audio cable with this sound bar. It comes with an auxiliary cable but the sound quality is poor. If you want to get the most out of the speaker you just payed money for, get a better cable with it.
on May 5, 2014
I cannot understand why people are complaining or having trouble setting this up. It is so simple. Optical from tv to soundbar, turn it all on and it works. Alternativly i use 1 optical from each source i have, youview, wdtv into an optical switch then to soundbar. The sound is very crisp and clear, with great bass when you need it. I dont use the sound effects as they make it sound like your in an echoey hall. i use 3d sound plus set to movie, drc standard, smart volume on or off depending on the time of day. bass at plus 2, it will go to 6 but seems too bangy. Set your sub on the floor somewhere for best bass. I have heard bose sysytems and sony ones which are crap in comparison. Also dont bother with wireless connection to the tv, they are unreliable and stupid. Always go hard wired, i choose optical as it is less smess and exactly the same quality as hdmi but without the 4 or 5 hdmi cables floating at the back of the tv.
on June 25, 2013
This item turns the evening into a theater performance. Watched the NBA playoffs, the sound of the rebounds, ball bouncing and hard slapping plays almost made you feel like you were there.
on May 4, 2014
I purchased this soundbar to go along with a new Samsung flatscreen TV and am very pleased with it. It was simple to hook up and the sound is clean and clear. Different modes give you the ability to customize your sound for the type of program being watched. Whether it be sports, music, news or movies, it all sounds great! Reasonable price makes this even more appealing in my opinion. Highly recommended!
on April 13, 2013
Starting with the audio: it's ok. Nothing more or less than expected for this price. Sound is a bit hollow, over-heavy in the midrange, with an awful soundstage. No equalizer at all, but setting the the sound mode to "music" definitely gives the cleanest, most neutral output. The subwoofer is the better component, with nice range and reproduction though little to no definition. It's all certainly better than what you get out of your TV, but it leaves a lot to be desired over standard bookshelf speakers of the same price.

Now, the design problems:

* The illuminated digital read-out on the center of the unit *never turns off*. Why?! It just says "D. In" 99% of the time. Very annoying and distracting. And even if you set it to dim, it will automatically go back to full brightness (which is very bright) next time it's turned on

* Awful rear design. I'm surprised I didn't kill my optical cable when trying to squeeze it into that tiny enclosure. It forces a harsh right angle right at insertion point that is absolutely absurd.

* Simply walking nearby the unit can often cause a temporary loss of signal between the master and the sub (since they are connected wirelessly), which will cause the sub to instantly power down and release an audible *thunk*, which gets extremely annoying after a while. Why do they not even give the option of a wired connection?

* No grill or covers for the speakers can lead to easy damage and difficult cleaning.

* Not vesa-mount compatible, though it can be fudged with the wall bracket

* No IR pass-through, so forget trying to mount this thing below your TV unless you want to stand up every time you need to use the remote

* The majority of settings cannot be used without a Samsung TV

* Clumsy volume management, slow and unresponsive to the remote.

* All of the sound modes are awful

I'm keeping the unit, because the alternatives are just as underwhelming, but don't go into this thing with high expectations.
1717 comments|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2014
this came free with my tv. i'd probably never buy one on my own. but once i messed with it, i'm not sure i'd sell it for the $250. i've used those little portable battery operated speakers for taking out to pool or in garage, but they're just not loud enough. i don't have outdoor speakers and haven't tried hooking up old reciever yet, so i don't have real sound at pool. this thing is perfect for that. small and light enough to carry out and set on a chair or something, plug in, and connect with phone via bluetooth. it's plenty loud enough to enjoy, and probably better than some of those outdoor speakers available. not to mention sound is controlled by phone instead of whatever is hooked up to reciever. the sound quality might not be the best, but for what i use it for or for a bedroom or something, i can't imagine needing more. i think people expect too much outta these things, with regard to quality and volume and what not. so as long as your expectations are realistic, i think you'll be pleased with the bar.

haven't tested sub yet, but for my use as a portable speaker, the sub likely won't be used. i don't really like the soundfields it has. i can't imagine this thing has high end processing for those types of things, so i just keep it off. sounds stays truer.