Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on July 27, 2013
I just bought this laptop having done a ton of research on it first. I'll say this much, if your not tech savvy then this laptop is not for you. Read on for more info, but I'm an IT guy so I can get kinda technical at times (sorry!).

I picked this laptop up directly from Levono's website for $849 (was $919 with tax); It came with a 24gb SSD (M.2 drive not a mSSD), 1TB HDD, Haswell 2.4ghz Quad Core processor, 8gb of ram (upgradable to 16gb) and a Geforce GT750m dedicated graphics card. Mainly wanted this beast for running Virtual Machines and it does that very, very well not without some issues though (but I can't complain for the price, looked at other laptops and all were well above the $1000 mark which was beyond my work budget). I didn't have the heating issues or issues with the speed as one of the other reviews gave, but in the end I wound up getting rid of Windows 8 which I think helped a lot (I wound up installing Windows 7 and all my apps on the m.2 SSD and left the 1TB for my data and profile.

So having said all that, in the past 5 days I've owned this the issues I've run into were; wifi dropped connections every 30 - 45 minutes (I'm right next to the wifi access point both at home and at work so distances nor wifi ap should have been a problem). The built in trackpad acts funky, but every ELan trackpad I've dealt with so far has (I just use an external mouse every chance I get). Running 2 - 3 Virtual Machines at once does get this thing a little warm but as long as I don't block the vent ports it's fine, I'd rather it be blowing hot air than the air get trapped up inside. So far I've found fixes / ways to deal with all the problems I've encountered but I am knocking off 1 star because of these issues (if I couldn't find a fix for them I would have dropped my rating lower).

For the wifi issues, you need to update the driver the card uses to the latest and greatest and possibly even install windows 7 rather than 8 (the drivers are the problem not the card or the laptop itself) I installed windows 7 after a long driver hunting party and haven't had a problem since.

For the touchpad issues, if your not used to a macbook the touchpad will definitely be a new experience for you. The touchpad on this laptop could be compared to a jacked up version of the one found on a Macbook (if you get the Elan version it's really frustrating to use). This laptop comes with two variants of touchpad, one is produced by Elan the other is a Synaptics based touchpad (hope and pray you get the Synaptics, I was unfortunate and got the ELan). There's not much you can do with the touchpad, you can disable tapping which will help a little, I have mine setup so that it's push to left click, tap or push with two fingers to right click and scroll with two fingers.

The battery life has been a little disappointing, but it's a 2.4ghz quad core gaming laptop what did I expect?? I was able to get almost 3 hours of battery out of this thing with everything but the wifi turned off (screen turned down to about 25% brightness, Nvidia card turned off, power settings turned to battery saver in windows.

Really for the price of this laptop, if you overlook the issues you can't beat it. Just upgrade to Windows 7 or install some form of linux on it (I'll be experimenting with that one next)...
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2013

The first thing I do when I get a new laptop is to reformat and re-install it with a fresh windows. It is my way of getting rid of all the bloatware that comes with laptops. This way I can avoid tremendous issues such as slow startup, random lag, hidden background processes, extra battery drain, and heat issues.

I noticed people had common issues regarding the trackpad and the wireless card. Those issues did not appear in my case after I reformatted my laptop and installed the latest drivers I got from Lenovo website. However, I used the wireless card driver and the integrated graphics HD4600 drivers from the official Intel website. Nvidia geforce gt 755 driver from the official nvidia website.

Since then I have not any issues so far. This is perhaps little bit techy but if you spend a bit of time reinstalling windows & drivers, you will get more of your money worth.

Gaming Performance:

So far I've only played CS:GO since I only plan on light gaming on this laptop and I get over 120 fps with tweaked configurations.
One thing to note is the temperature of the CPU will go as high as 75 degrees celcius when gaming for a long time. The left side of the laptop with the fan get a bit warm and hot.

BEFORE Formatting: Bloatware, wireless card drop here and there while gaming.

After Formatting: No issues, better battery life (I get as as high as around 3 - 4 hours on web surfing & school), wireless card is functional (no drop/lag while gaming), trackpad is responsive.

PS: Great purchase if you're on a budget and need a multimedia laptop, check lenovo website for sales/deals :)
Also, avoid HP laptops. They're crap. My old HP's hinge broke off after light usage :(
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2013
The laptop itself has a couple problems... the wifi blinks in and out occasionally and the touchpad is awful (two finger scrolling seems poorly implemented, and I hate the single-piece trackpad that includes the left and right click buttons). However, the one star review is more for the customer service.

They shipped my laptop to me with an australian AC adapter. It doesn't fit into US outlets (unless you have a funky old-school outlet for a large appliance like a washer/dryer). I called them up and they sent me a corrected one right away. Except that the new AC adapter did not fit my laptop.

My next five attempts to reach out to Lenovo were hilarious:
1) Post sales team: you need to talk to the technical support team, here's their number.
2) Technical support team: this is the wrong technical support team, let me transfer you to the right technical support team.
3) Technical support team 2: this is a post-sales team problem. You need to talk to them. They sent you here? Let me put you on hold for half an hour and then try to convince you that Lenovo doesn't sell ANY laptops that can plug directly into US walls - you need to go out and buy an international adapter!
4) Web sales chat: we can't help you, but we will make a note of this and someone from the post-sales team will reach out within 48 hours (did not get a response).
5) Post sales team (immediately escalated to a team lead this time): we're not sure which AC adapter goes with this laptop, let me call you back within 48 hours (did not get a response).

Finally, I got a response out of the websales at lenovo e-mail, where they told me that I could go buy an AC adapter and get reimbursed. That's great, but they didn't tell me which AC adapter I need, or where I could buy it. Then they offered to send it to me. At this point, I'm 20 days into the 30 day return period, so I figured I wouldn't chance it.

I'm returning the laptop today, and I reaaaaally hope the return process is smoother than my interactions with Lenovo so far. I know that every large company has some bad call center agents, but what I experienced was full-on ridiculous. I tried literally every avenue of contacting Lenovo that I could, and still could not get the issue resolved in a reasonable timeframe. Lenovo needs to get it together.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2015
When it comes to price and specs what is not to love about this laptop? i7-4700MQ CPU, GT 750m with 2GB GDDR5 GPU, 8GB of DDR3L Ram and a 1TB HDD. All of this for the incredibly low price of: $759. My mind was blown. Laptops with lower specs than this one tend to go over $1k easily. And for a laptop the speakers are of pretty good quality too.

On this laptop I have done a bit of everything from web design, programming and database to heavy emulation on PCSX2, high definition video and photo editing. The laptop like the beast that it is it never choked.

Now this is when the bad stuff starts. Not even a year of owning the laptop and the left hinge broke and the repair is not covered by the warranty even though this is a wide spread issue. The battery doesn't hold any charge anymore and I even did a complete clean install because maybe it was a bad driver or something that was causing the issue but nothing. I think I'll just have to buy a new battery for it to most likely break in the same way. The trackpad lacks a lot of useful shortcuts that other even cheaper laptops offer, and not to mention that is not that responsive/accurate either. Sometimes it gets pretty hot for no reason at all and the wi-fi has been a bit annoying by randomly dropping off just because. There's no light or any indicator to know when keys like Caps-lock or Scroll-lock are engaged either.

To put it in more simple words... I have owned over 20 laptops through all my life and the Y410p is literally the worst one I have ever owned when it comes to built quality. I'm not sure if every Y410p is like this but I just cannot recommend this laptop to anybody no matter how good its price/performance ratio really is.
on December 9, 2014
Beware: the hinges are made of cheap plastic, and break with moderate use. Further, they are not under warranty. (One service rep said they were, but others say not).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2015
The support team is also helpless and not accepting it as POOR design flaw with left hinge almost damaging all parts around it.
It broke the plastic around. It is very costly to get shipped and fixe us ourselves, instead I will buy a new ASUS.

I bought this and upgraded memory and HDD to SSD , now it is almost useless and need to use it like a DESKTOP . In the interest of other consumers I request Lenovo to make a recall of their laptop and get this issue fixed (atleast for those who broken case becaz of poor hinge).
sample video:
on June 12, 2015
considering this is the y510p but smaller, I like it. I never bought the sli simply because I never needed it. for normal gaming with lower settings this is great when your on the go. however I have an actual desktop if I want an amazing graphical experience. a laptop isn't a pc stop asking questions referring to a high end performance considering this laptop cost as much as a 980...

Ive had it for over 2 years and happy with my purchase.
keyboard, gpu, speed, power durability, zero problems with hardware
screen screws and hinges(seem fragile). screen resolution isn't the best(however consider price&age)

in closing im happy with this laptop considering that my new thinkpad laptop has constant problems unlike my old y410p. makes me angry considering it cost over 1k more originally than the y410p.
on January 22, 2015
This is a frustrating computer. From the very first week of owning it, I encountered multiple issues that have yet to be resolved.
First issue: A "driver state failure" that, apparently, is affecting a large number of Lenovo users who are still seeking an answer.
Second issue: Upon waking the system from sleep, the trackpad refuses to scroll, sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes not until reboot. This is also an issue that is affecting many, many Lenovo users.
I tried updating the drivers. I tried searching the forums. But all I found is dozens of people who have the same issues and have not received any help from Lenovo support.
on November 18, 2014
This laptop is great! The processor is basically the same as other "high-end" gaming laptops that are sold for 1.5k+. The quality build is very good, it never got very hot even after long gaming sessions. The only two cons that I have found are the screen and the border around the acreen. They really couldn't have gotten cheaper with those. After a couple hours calibrating, I could get nice colors, but the screen is still not reliable for artists. The GPU is pretty decent, and can run everything I throw on it. Even crysis 3, the latest CoD MW. If you want to game on the run, this is definitely an option!
on September 27, 2015
Ultra bay is a gimmick, few if any accessories have been released. Had very poor wifi. Drivers were terrible. Constant BSOD and Lenovo has horrendous customer support. It was unusable for a few weeks when I first got it. Eventually I got it to work great.