on June 26, 2014
In the course of operating and managing a Luxury-level, Vacation Beach Villa in Kona (FallingWatersKonaDOTcom), with 3 stories of Pure Hospitality indulgence for the discerning, well-seasoned Travelers, who love vacationing in Hawaii, we have thru the course of vetting, remodeling, updating, with Repairs and Replacements of everything from: A variety of Home/Personal Electronics to major or commercial Kitchen appliances, to Bed covers to Lighting appointments, to Patio furniture to Scuba-Snorkel gear to Hot Tubs ... on a grand scale and expense.
That said, this review will focus on our Villa's Electronics that we seem to be replacing quite frequently, as A/V gear & equipment needs Upgraded replacements, for filling the needs of our clients.
Some of the most replaced pieces of Home Electronics is and has always been the Tri-fecta of: BluRay/DVD players + TV's + Mini Stereo FM/CD/DVD/iPod/iPhone Players, for the pleasure and enjoyment of our esteemed guests. Yes, we do Spoil them!
About the 'Onkyo CS-255 CD Mini System & Dock for iPhone 5 - despite having only an overall 3.8 Star review, due to a couple of "not-so-great" review postings. Despite that, I am familiar with the Onkyo brand, and have always been very pleased with most, if not all of their electronic sound systems and equipment.
One very useful SUGGESTION that I would like to share with anyone perusing this Review is the following recommendations for
both Hi-Fi, conventional CD Stereo Systems, and also for DVD/BluRay Players, I developed a collection of Music, Movie Soundtracks & Classical CD's that I use to "Test" the Audio, and/or, Video Quality on any A/V -TV system.:
a. For CD playing Systems - One CD that I will share is a soundtrack from the old movie, 'BulWorth', Track 2 - Ghetto SupaStar, for the AUDIO component. The Voice + Bass & Sound Spectrum is very good.
b. For DVD & BluRay Players - I use BlackHawk Down or Avatar, for Testing both the 5.1 THX AUDIO + VIDEO components, of not ONLY the Players, but, the Display + Sound on whatever TV Monitor I may be also "Testing", as well, via HDMI.
PRO's - One Caveat is set this up First using the included Remote, as it will Save you a lot of time:
* Box Packaging - 1st thing to notice is just how well-packaged this Mini System arrives in, as in the same manner that most really
high-end, Hi-Fi systems are shipped in. From this standpoint, "if" your unit arrives trashed or damaged, then, it was more likely due to pure
carelessness on the Shipment Carrier's part. But, this time it was perfect condition, all the way to Hawaii.
* EZ Set-up. No brainer. Look over the Quick setup instructions brochure.
* SOUND Quality - HiFi, Rich, Crisp Sound Quality & Textures (Treble/Bass), with 2 Options for Bass!
Caveat #2 - there is a huge difference in Sound Quality between CD's & coming thru the iPod or iPhone! It is much LOUDER on
iPod's & iPhone's.
* POWER Level - 25 Watt built-in amp that powers the Perfectly-Matched Speakers, thereby, creating an Acoustic Impression of a
more powerful stereo mini system. Powerful enough for the Living room + Piano Den & Front & Back Lanai's, w/o disturbing our neighborhood.
* SPEAKERS - the speakers are in a Plastic housing, although the Sound Quality was 100% notably better than the previous more expensive
SONY iPhone/iPod Docking Stereo Mini-System, with "wooden" speakers! I'll be hooking up some desktop BOSE speakers later and check out
* FM Radio - Setup with Remote/ Menu/Chose AUTOMATIC Station Location Set-up. Flawless! FM Radio sounds great!
* CD Player - MP3** everything and you should not have any problems, which is EZ on iTunes, or All2MP3, MediaHuman MP3 Converter or Other
Free or Paid 3rd-party convertor app. I cut a CD for my Biz partner's mom, who loves Mo-Town, about as much as I do and she was Blown Away
by the difference in Sound Quality of Crispness & Textures. NOTE that the MP3 music tracks do NOT sound as good as on iPhone or iPod.
Of course, very few people use CD's anymore, and I'm sure that you could Write your music tracks, at the Highest or Loss-less Settings.
* DOCKING 1 - sits on Top as depicted, just slide dust cover back to open, has Flexible, Lightening-style Connector for iPhone 5
and any iPods that have the female Lightening connector.
* DOCKING 2 - USB Connector - located on the front, works for iPhone 4, all other iPods, Android devices with a USB cable
connector. SEE PHOTOS ...
** ➤ From FORMATS - Audio formats like WMA, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, Real Audio, etc.
➤ To - MP3 audio format (VBR / CBR)
CON's - Not many at this time, but more attributed to the sub-$200 dollar Price Point, IMO:
* BlueTooth - I would NOT expect having a BT feature at this Price range. The next Onkyo system with BT technology and More ...
that I previewed was near a cool 1K, just in comparison.
* Black finish - I could possibly understand that some people might have a little difficulty in seeing or noting the Control lettering,
and is why I recommend using the remote from the start. Also, it's a Dust Magnet, fyi.
* Possible Gremlin? - Better to connect the AC cord into it's own outlet, rather than into a power strip, or a GFI multiple outlet, as
I did note some slight FM Radio 'interference' when operating along with adjustable-type of table lamps on the same outlet.
BUY IT Again - Yes, definitely for a unit below a $200 price point and w/o hesitation. Probably, this unit is a well-kept Secret on AMZ, and I can definitely HEAR the reason why!
Update - Check back in 6 months, or so.