Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 1, 2014
The first thing you'll notice about the G16 is its ability to capture a great photo in low light. I attribute that to the sensor being the largest of all its predecessors. The menu has the familiar Canon Powershot layout. I tend to take most photos in Program mode and I have to say the performance has been excellent. I like that the exposure compensation dial is near my thumb so I can make adjustments quickly after taking a photo. The 60 fps video capture is much smoother than any of my previous compact cameras. Lastly the frame rate in burst mode is faster than my Canon 60D DSLR and puts any of my previous compacts to shame. If I had to find any fault in the camera it would be the optical view finder is small and hard to get a good sense of your frame before shooting. I highly recommend this camera.

UPDATE 2014-01-21
I have been getting periodic "Memory Card Error" at startup. I have a Sandisk Extreme 32GD SDHC 80MB/s card. I have replaced the card with the same model. Still got the periodic errors. Finally I replaced the camera last week with another G16. Still get the errors. Sent an email to Canon and waiting for response. Will try a slower SD card and see if it makes a difference.

UPDATE 2014-01-28
Problem Solved. The "Memory Card Error" problem I was periodically receiving at start-up was resolved by switching brands on the SD card. After receiving the error on two identical Sandisk Extreme cards and two Canon G16's, I concluded that switching brands on the SD card was the next logical step. Canon support recommended that I send in the camera for repair. Despite explaining to them that the odds of a hardware failure was remote given I had tried two different G16's, they still insisted I send in the camera for repair--I did not. I asked if the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 80MB/s (SDSDXS-032G-AFFP) was supported and they responded that there are too many cards to test them all (read: we have no idea). I have other cameras which have either Sandisk or Transcend SD cards in them. I tried all the cards and the Sandisk got the error while the Transcend did not. So I exchanged my SD card for the Transcend 32 GB High Speed Class 10 UHS Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10U1E 85/45 MB/s. I have been using the camera for a week with not a single Memory Card Error encountered. Strange but true.
99 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2013
I usually use my Canon 6D for photography, but I needed something small to carry around that shot in RAW. This fits the bill. A great improvement over my G10, the G16 image quality is top notch. There are many auto modes that I've played with as well that work nicely. While I love shooting in aperture preferred mode, there's a setting that allows you to take portrait shot and the setting blurs the background for you (basically, it takes two shots and blurs the background). It works surprisingly well, and takes the worry out of choosing an aperture, etc.

If you like to shoot in RAW and need something more portable than a DSLR, check out the G16.
66 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2013
Build Quality 5/5
User Friendly 5/5
Price 3/5
Features 4/5
Picture Quality (for category) 5/5

PROS
-Build quality is excellent, it feels extremely durable in your hand while holding it. I would not be afraid to throw it in my backpack on the go.
-The camera fits really nicely in your hand without any problem. It is a LOT smaller than the G1x and a lot easier to store for almost the same picture quality.
-Picture quality is significantly improved from the G15. The difference in low-light pictures is really noticeable due to the f/1.8-2.8 aperture.
-WiFi feature is a really nice addition. You can put pictures on your iPhone fairly easily.
-tons of creative modes allow for tons of different and unique shots without having to use manual mode.
-The software is a lot faster. You can move around the options really fast without much lag at all.
-Much better user experience than either the Nikon P7800 or P7700

CONS
-Decent noise at high ISOs, but not uncommon to others in the category
-Price is not very good when considering the S120 has many of the same features for less and the G1x has a lot more features for barely any more. Just awkward pricing situation.
-some of the settings are hard to differentiate from each other.
-Can be difficult setting up Wifi originally.

This camera is so close to the G1x, I would advise spending the extra $100 and getting the four-thirds sensor the G1x comes with over this. This camera is also really close to the S120 but comes in the familiar G body style most people are accustomed to. So if you need something to fit in your pocket for travel, I would get the S120. This camera has almost the same features of both so its in a really weird product position. I would just get the S120 over this unless you need the hotshoe and the viewfinder that come with this instead of the touchscreen on the S120.
2424 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
This camera really has no nasty surprises to it. It takes excellent photos and decent video, is a great performer, well-built, great ergonomics, and has an easy to use interface. In other words, a typical Canon.

Like its predecessors before it, the camera produces nice photos, especially when you consider its sensor size. Canon has done a great job of squeezing out all they can from this relatively small 1/1.7" sensor. Image quality is not night and day over the G15, but it captures a little more detail in the lower ISO settings. Noise performance is unchanged from the G15. You can only get 100% clean images from this camera at largest sizes through ISO200, but things really don't start getting sloppy until you get past ISO1600. The camera does a good job of balancing noise, noise reduction, and detail retention up the ISO scales. If you're willing to shoot and process the RAW files, you might be able to get away with larger prints up to ISO1600. In summary, it has the best noise performance of its enthusiast compact peers with the same size sensor but is not surprisingly behind the Sony RX100 II and about on par with the Fuji X20. Color performance is good as always. Overexposure is still a bit of an issue but it doesn't seem to blow out highlights as bad as the G15 did.

The autofocus system on this camera is fast and reliable, but not night and day over its predecessor like Canon claims. I find in low light the AF to be only slightly faster but to put this in context, the G15 was an all around decent performer in the autofocus department. Most people should be pretty happy with the performance, though. The lens zooms in and out quickly. Burst performance is remarkable on this camera and it can qualify as an excellent budget action shooter, especially if you shoot JPEG. Image stabilization is also rock solid.

Ergonomics are great on the camera. I like the more rounded hand grip vs. the G15. The menu system remains straight forward and easy to use. Battery life is excellent and the camera feels sturdy and well-built. The LCD on back is bright and clear. The optical viewfinder is usable but Nikon has stepped up the game a little bit by including the EVF in their P7800. While it's not the greatest EVF around (still not bad), it provides a better viewfinder shooting experience than the G16.

I don't think anybody who buys this camera will be disappointed. It is not a ground breaking product, but does everything reliably well and like the G15, will give you many years of good photos and dependable operation. Recently the G16 has been selling for around $450 on Amazon, which I think is a pretty decent price for what you get.
55 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2014
I had a nex-5 that got water damaged and it's been almost a year since I got this camera from Amazon as a replacement. I can say I am pretty satisfied. I use it to take pictures of my kids and the photos are great, even indoors. I barely used the flash, but when I needed it, it was perfect.

The g16 is part of a well stabilised family of cameras from canon, you can't go wrong here. Image quality is outstanding. It's fast, well built and the battery lasts long enough. It serves me much better than the nex-5, specially because of the focus, size, and lens (I only had the lens that came included with the nex).

Cons:

1. Wifi is not the best out there. I use this camera with an eye fi mobi card and I find this solution much better than using the canon wifi transfer app on my android.

2. Viewfinder is optical. If you can use it, it will help you spare some battery. However I never use it, because the framing is very different from what you really get and never got used to it.

UPDATE:

A few weeks after I wrote this review I noticed several scratches on the front lens. It seems to be caused by the lens cover, that is too close to the front element. There are several reports of this issue online. Interesting though, I found nothing about this here at "Amazon.com", but check "Amazon.de" comments and you will see lots of 1 star ratings, most of them because of the scratches on the lens.

Since the camera was still under warranty, it tried to have it fixed, but canon said they would have to charge me 150eur+taxes.

So, I can't recommend this product anymore. It has a badly designed lens cover that will cause scratches on the front lens element. It will decrease the image quality and cause flare.

Search for the scratches and maybe you will find them in your camera as well.
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
If words could translate better to what real life use of cameras actually reveals, you may see reviews written a bit differently about some other cameras that are all the rage right now. The G16 is a classic example of a camera that may not have been too exciting when it was announced on tech sites and forums alike, but in real life use, small improvements shine.

With the luxury of being a relatively unchanged successor to the G15, an already (and still) excellent compact, the G16 improved upon it in several key ways. Seemingly small changes can sometimes mean big differences, and the G16 is a shining example of this. But before I get into how good the G16 truly is, lets just hit on a subject that most discuss these days first. Big sensors.

There continues to be a strong push by the market for ever larger sensors in compact cameras and for the most part, there is an advantage to this push. Sensor wise, IQ has never been better on compacts of late. However a sensor is just one part of a larger equation when appraising a camera's design. Handling, price, lens quality, ergonomics, and versatility are all equally important considerations to me when making a choice for a compact camera.

For me, making a choice for using a compact camera is complicated. I expect a lot out of a compact even though the use of a compact is inherently a set of compromises compared to larger and more capable gear. That's the nature of a compact, by design. What you trade off for in size, you trade off for in capability- or so the argument goes.

Today, compact cameras have achieved capabilities unheard of just 5 years ago. And while I'm not ready to throw out my DSLR gear, I find that I'm relying on compacts more and more as a tool to get my photography done. Why? They just keep getting better.

The G16 is a shining example of matured tech. The sensor, although smaller than cameras coming out today, is still very capable of making very high quality images. It may get dismissed by some who want larger sensors in a compact, but even they may take back some of the criticism/dismissal if they used the G16 in real life. Fact is, the sensor is quite good, and does a lot more than it ought too for it's size. Image quality is damn fine for both low ISO and up to 5,000 ISO for raw work and all ISO values are usable regardless.

If you factor its class leading handling, excellent sharp and versatile lens, its battery life, its usable viewfinder, its glass protected LCD screen, nearly perfect menu system, and overall value and capability- the G16 is simply a stellar compact solution for serious photographers. This is despite what is being offered today by other manufactures. I find a series of tradeoffs with larger sensor compacts that I'm just not prepared to accept for a smaller camera. And while those cameras have a way to go in many respects (handling, size, price, lens versatility etc..), the G16 has quietly morphed into a mature and capable compact camera.

I've used many of the larger sensor compacts out there and the gains with the larger sensors simply do not outweigh the advantages of the G16. Simply put, I'm not ready to rely on a larger sensor compact when the G16 is more capable and performs better (optical quality for example) than the competition. Not yet at least.

While I do still shoot with my amazing Ricoh GR, its getting a lot less duty these days simply because the IQ on the G16 is plenty for my needs, its versatility as a tool too is much more tempting to bring along than the GR as well. Other cameras either lack the optical range or quality/versatility, handling, price, or overall package that the G16 affords. For the slightly lessor IQ of the G16's sensor output compared to those cameras, I'll take the G16 9/10 times when I walk out the door.

Hype on new cameras is easy to get caught up in, but I find that the cooling off period is a truthsayer. Using the G16 as a photographer should, is quite eye opening. Its a camera that gets a lot more done than you might expect, and at a higher quality than you might expect. Plus, its just damn fun to use! It does NOT get in your way, it works, its like an extension of a photographer's will. That is simply invaluable.

Right now I simply do not see a better option on the market to consider as a one solution compact camera. A camera design is the sum of all of its pros and cons, not the sum of some of its pros. As a reviewer and professional photographer, I'd not recommend any other compact first to friends, family, or colleagues. The G16 gets my vote as the best compact on the market.

My opinion is based on experience using it to other cameras, not comparing cameras on spec sheets.

Compared to the G15- its better sensor, faster auto focus, improved long exposure times, and other new features, the G16 improves on its predecessor and remains a truly unappreciated compact on the market. And while it's not perfect no camera is.

For future firmware or a successor camera, I'd like to see Canon less intrusive on noise reduction, add more adjustments added to Jpeg output (especially when recording a Jpeg alongside a raw file). A 24mm wide angle lens and improved optical finder would be icing on the cake. I don't ask for much improvement, but those are areas I think the G16 successor should accommodate.

A much larger and more comprehensive review with images and more will be published on my blog shortly. For now, I've used the G16 enough to create this review on my favorite tech site.

Cheers photographers!

Carl
on December 24, 2014
I absolutely LOVE this camera. Star Mode is the coolest feature, and advanced settings are clutch.

With an aperture range of 1.8-8, this camera takes AMAZING low-light shots. Shutter speed is also excellent, lessening issues with blur. Macro shots also come out crisp and clear! Available shooting modes are plenty, including two custom set-up modes, aperture priority, shutter priority, scene modes, and, of course, an auto mode. Plus, you even have the ability to focus manually (though it does take a little getting used to, since it's all done on the display screen).

Biggest complaint I have is that the viewfinder isn't particularly great (something I've come to love on my dslr), but from what I've read this isn't really a big surprise since it is an optical viewfinder.

Overall, this is a great camera with LOTS of advanced features, so this isn't really for the minimally involved photographer (price-wise). The learning curve on the advanced features can be steep, but it's not drastically different from other Canon cameras (very similar to my T3 dslr). I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I highly recommend to anybody who is looking for a power-packed camera that is easy to travel with!
review image review image review image review image review image
on May 10, 2014
The Canon PowerShot G16 is an incredible compact camera. I've never personally owned a DSLR but I have worked with the earlier canon Rebel series before (namely the T2i) and although it doesn't come close to the handling and feel of a real DSLR, it still feels great in the hand and the quality of images produced by this compact camera are still great!

I decided to purchase this camera in order to use it on a 6 week trip around Scotland and England. Because of the nature of my trip which partially consisted of backpacking around the countryside and moving from city to city, I was a bit concerned about carrying a DSLR and lenses around so I wanted a compact camera but didn't want to sacrifice on quality, so I considered the Canon PowerShot G16. I spent less as opposed to purchasing a DSLR and I am also literally able to pocket the camera while still getting really clear and true images of my travels.

I took over 3500 photos and videos and I am really happy with all of them. The photos in low lighting turned out great, any photo taken with ISO levels up to 3200 came out clear with little noise, but anything above that started getting pretty noisy. Luckily the camera is preset to not go above 3200 ISO but that can be changed if so desired. I personally like my photos a little darker for contrast and I was able to take great photos everywhere I went in nearly all lighting conditions. I was also able to take pictures of the stars by taking advantage of manual settings as well as taking some artsy shots using long exposure playing with lights. Manual focus also came in handy when the camera couldn't quite focus on what I wanted it to. The range of the lens is great. I can take nice wide angle photos of landscape and cities and the 5x zoom helps to focus in on architecture, wildlife or other interesting things.

The camera is very quick, it turns on and off quickly and the manual controls (after getting used to it) allow me to quickly adjust exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO when the program features just aren't enough to get the right shot. There are handy screen features such as a leveler and grid in order to really help align images as well as a quick zoom to make sure the image is in focus. The build is really sturdy and has a good weight to it making it feel really stable as well as comfortable in my right hand.

Battery life is also very good. I can take pictures all day for a couple of days before it dies. I bought a spare battery which guaranteed that it would never die on me when I really wanted to snap a photo.

The video quality is really great for a compact, being able to take full 1080pHD videos in 60fps (I personally prefer 30fps which can be set instead of 60) as well as having an optical stabilizer making the video very smooth with hardly any shaking.

I hardly ever used the optical viewfinder only because it was just a tunnel viewfinder but when the sunlight was too bright to see the LCD screen (which was rare), it did come in handy and the images are true to what is seen in the viewfinder.

I really love this camera and will probably be very happy using the Canon PowerShot G16 for a very long time. I am not a professional photographer, but this camera goes above and beyond my needs and expectations. I could see any enthusiast enjoying this camera, the images in low lighting aren't flawless by any means but they are still pretty amazingly clear for a compact. It is great to have such quality images in a small, easy to handle pocketable camera.
on January 23, 2015
Excellent camera, I use it as my everyday camera, I am a professional travel photographer and I am not carrying around my 6d when I'm not working or on a picture-perfect, planified trip. Rather, I keep this one with me for everyday, noteworthy scenes. I take it everywhere because yes, it does take far better pictures than an iPhone, even an iPhone 6 with manual settings app installed! Sorry but I read some of the reviews and it's just unfair. And 1 star for not printing almost 300 pages of a manual that not everybody needs and saving hundreds or thousands of trees is a 5-star company decision in my book.
Great little camera. Would not use it for video since there are no manual controls. Would have appreciated an evf but it would have implied less battery life so it's a good compromise. Love that it has a hotshoe. For those who say they never use flash, try using it in daylight when you have a subject on a rich background or at sunset... You'd be amazed at how it enhances sunsets or colors at dusk. Anyway, happy travels, happy photographing.
on April 4, 2014
This is the third Canon Powershot I have owned from the G series.

I like the solid metal case. The automatic lens cover/shutter that protects the lens when the camera is off. The photo quality is very good. Video quality is acceptable. It has a viewfinder which is nice. The larger size case makes it easy to hold and stabilize.

Some things that are almost negatives: This G16 model doesn't have an articulated viewing screen. The wide angle on this lens is 28mm, I sometimes need a 24mm. I carry an adapter lens. It is a little big & heavy, but that should be expected due to the solid metal case.

I have all the big heavy pro gear and glass, but this is my EDC, Every Day Carry, camera. When I'm headed out for dinner, you will find this in my jacket pocket. I got a Canon 1.25 inch wide wrist strap for easy carry.

I would recommend this camera for almost every photographer.