Top positive review
52 people found this helpful
Beyond my expectations!!
on December 4, 2013
I've had the Hp Envy Touchsmart 15-j070us for a week now, and I must say, it was beyond my expectations.
I've compiled a list of Pros and Cons for this laptop:
1) Windows 8.1 - As soon as I got this laptop, I updated all the Windows Update and upgraded to Windows 8.1(You must update everything else first before you can see the Windows 8.1 Update in the Windows Store). I must say I'm loving Windows 8.1 more than I thought I would, Its Windows 7 mixed with a new Start Screen. The compatibility is really amazing as well, its compatible with a lot of the older windows programs.
2) Hp Coolsense - I can't stress on how much I'm impressed with Hp's Coolsense feature. Since I've had this laptop, I had NO Problems with overheating issues(or heating issues on a whole). Even when I'm running games and multiple programs at once, it gets a warm(what laptop doesn't?) but no problems with heating. Hats off to HP, this impressed me the most(Of course if you're going to be gaming especially for a number of hours, it would be smart to buy a cooling pad).
3) GRAPHICS CARD - The AMD Radeon 8650g with 4gb of gaming graphics is beyond amazing. This graphics card could handle almost all the games I throw at it from medium to high settings. I used the Hp Support Assisstant to update the graphics card driver to the latest one(it works flawlessly now) and I've tried games such as:
a) Arkham Origins = High Settings (with Anti- Aliasing off for best smooth game play)
b) The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim = Medium Settings
c) Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 = Medium Settings for best game play
d) COD: Black Ops 2 = High Settings
e) Moral Kombat 9 = Medium
f) Grand Theft Auto IV = High Settings (Have to configure it for best gameplay).
g) Fifa 14 = Ultra Settings
h) Young Justice Legacy = Ultra
Graphics Design Programs such as:
a) Adobe Photoshop CSS
b) Adobe After Effects CSS
c) Sony Vegas Pro 12
d) Cyberlink Powerdirector(This comes pre-installed on the laptop by default)
e) Adobe Illustrator
Basically, the whole Adobe Suite works flawlessly on the Hp Envy Touchsmart 15-j070us
4) BEATS AUDIO - I saw a review before on the Beats Audio on the laptop that was bad. At first I thought it was bad compared to the beats audio I had on my previous Hp Envy Dv6 laptop. But then I noticed that this laptop didn't have the Beats Audio Control Panel that allows you to utilize all the speakers and subwoofers. For those of you who are into Audio and Sound, here's what I did:
a) Right Click on my computer and clicked Manage. Computer Management should open, then I went on Device Manger,
and under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, there should be one named IDT High Definition Audio CODEC(This is the driver
that has the Beats Audio Control Panel in it). Right click it and click Uninstall.
b) When it's uninstalled, restart the computer, then go on search(Windows Button + S) and type in HP Recovery Manager!!
When its opened, click on Drivers and Applications Re-install, and find IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, and click on Install.
c) When that's finished, Restart your computer and the Beats Audio Control Panel should be there on the taskbar(A small red B). It would also be in the Control Panel. Open it and click on listening experience tab, and check the box with the Beats Audio.
Instantly you should notice a dramatic difference in your audio, the sound is rich and the bass sounds amazing!!
5) Touchscreen - The touchscreen is better than I expected it to be. It works really amazing, no delay, no problems at all.
This is a added bonus to some of the other PROS of the laptop. It even works great in some games and programs!! It does have its negatives however (check Cons part).
6) Keyboard - The layout of the keys on the keyboard is really good compared to other laptops I must say. There is even
little to no keyboard flex. If its one thing, I wish the keyboard was backlit, but other than that the keyboard is really
good and I have no problems with it thus far.
1) Battery Life - Compared to my old Hp Envy dv6, this battery life is terrible, last about 4 hours and a half for the most if not
doing anything much. I assume its the touchscreen that drains the battery life, I'm not sure, but the battery life is
surely a disadvantage of this laptop.
2) Touchscreen - The screen gets dirty very very fast, even if you touch the screen lightly it leaves a little fingerprint mark.
This requires constant cleaning if you want your laptop to look presentable and clean. (However, it came to my attention
that this can be fixed with a clear screen protector).
3) Speaker - From outside the box, on the right speaker, there is a small crackling noise, its not noticeable unless
I put my ear right up to it or the room is very very quiet. This is a minor problem, it could be just my laptop that has a hardware defect.
Overall the laptop reached beyond my expectations, I would recommend this to anyone!! I Hope this review helps anyone
looking to buy this laptop.