Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 10, 2013
I've had a chance to use the HTC One Mini for the past month. As the name suggests, it's the little brother to the HTC One. Compared to its big brother, it's a little bit smaller in dimensions, with a smaller 4.3" 720P IPS screen, slower dual core CPU, 16GB memory and smaller battery at 1800mah. Honestly, I thought the phone would be a decent, but not great, device when I first picked it up, simply because of all the sacrifices for what appears to be a pretty minimal reduction in physical size. Yeah, it's actually not that smaller compared to the bigger HTC One.

But I was pleasantly surprised. The phone is slightly shorter AND narrower than the HTC One. Even though it's still a fairly large device given the screen size, the reduction is just enough to make the phone easily usable with one hand. I can't stress this enough - this is the biggest (and probably only) advantage the Mini has over its big brother. Well, that and the price. It feels great in hand, and I don't have to stretch or reposition my hand and fingers to reach every corner of the screen. Big plus in ergonomics.

The other compromises in tech specs are reasonable given the mid-range nature of the device. The slower CPU and smaller screen help to reduce the impact of the smaller battery - they use less juice. The resulting battery life is decent - I got through a day easily with average usage - about 2 to 2.5 hours on screen time, 4G LTE (60%) and wifi (40%). With heavier usage, you probably would need a quick recharge in the afternoon. The camera is largely the same as the Ultrapixel (large 2um pixel sensor) camera on the HTC One, with one exception - the Mini's camera doesn't come with optical image stabilization (OIS). OIS helps smooth out the shakes and vibrations when taking photos and videos. But I guess HTC had to differentiate the Mini a little bit from the more expensive One.

The Sense 5 user interface is refined and subdued - classy and minimalist in nature compared to the cartoony Samsung Touchwiz and LG's. The phone feels buttery smooth in everyday use - no lag at all.

The solid all-metal construction from the HTC One is here as well with one minor modification - the phone's edges has a plastic bumper. It takes a little bit away from the premium look, but it's otherwise identical to the One and blows every other Android phone out of the water.

The dual speakers facing you is a large reason the phone is a bit bigger physically - you need the space for the speaker grills! But it's 100% worth it. This phone sounds every bit as good as the HTC One, and really is the BEST sounding smartphone on the market. Period. There's NOTHING that comes close. If you care about sound quality, this (and the HTC One) is the phone to get.

Overall, this is a very well designed phone with good all-around performance. The mid range specs are reasonable since this is not a flagship phone, and is priced accordingly. It's really a shame that the phone isn't available on more carriers!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2013
Wow I have never been so impressed with a so called mid range phone. I'm android loyal to the core and this phone just blows me away. I've had all the kinds my first was the HTC incredible. Which left me with a bad taste for HTC. Then a galaxy s2 skyrocket followed by an s3, nexus 4 and an LG optimus g pro. All of which were progressively better than the last. Is have to say the g pro was by far my favorite save for one thing. It's just to big for me.
The HTC one mini is in no way a mini device unless your just talking specs compared to the ONE. But in no way does it feel like it's missing out on anything. Anyone looking to jump into the smartphone world should definitely consider this device. $79 is a steal if ask me. For a device that feels this good in hand and performs this well while being lumped in with the mid range croud. I am impressed and would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking the flagship phone are to big. But get worried by what the specs are on paper. This really is a great device. I'm glad I gave HTC another go. The have really stepped it up.
on September 27, 2013
I just got this phone yesterday and already I have set up all of my info and connected instantly to my important items. The response to the wifi is even better than my laptop! It connects to the wifi and stays on it. It's so simple to use, it's like using an iphone. Of course there are great apps from the android store you can download. The camera's 4 ultra pixels didn't get it's name for nothing! It's still just as great as the htc one. The screen is in superb HD and it's the perfect size to use with one hand. I've had no problems typing with one hand. The graphics on games are definitely a bonus. The beats audio are perfect and the speakers can get load, especially with headphones. Text messages are very flexible, so you can change the color of the texts bubbles and change the background picture to whatever you like. Phone calls are excellent quality. The other end can hear so clearly and strongly. One small problem is the keyboard is a problem if you have big hands/thumbs (I have rather medium to small hands and it's works fine for me but if you have big hands, you will have a problem with the keyboard) And another problem (it's minor) is that htc blink feed is rather limited with choices for display, but at least now you can link your twitter, facebook, and instagram to it with ease. Plus it does keep you rather updated with the biggest news that's happening right now. Other than that, the phone is the best I've ever had! Htc did well with this one! Mini is not the right name for this. It should be called Htc One 2!
on September 12, 2013
I am very happy with my HTC One Mini. After expressing my dislike of my previous upgrade to the Sony Xpheria to AT&T customer representative, and explaining that I am long time customer and no way I could continue with this phone for 2 years never been so unhappy with any of my phone choices as I was with the Sony Xpheria. Looking on line I see the HTC One mini and knew I wanted it right away. The features are awesome, picture quality awesome, speaker sound awesome, battery life awesome, size awesome, overall everything about this phone is awesome. AT&T has made me a happy customer, best choice I made in phones. Get it you will make an awesome choice.
on November 20, 2013
Great phone! I got an iphone 5S, but returned it when I realized the new operating system made it impossible to see the phone keys and contacts. The HTC one mini solves this problem and delivers more great features. Keys are nice and bright (with good contrast) and everything is customizable - a BIG advantaged over the iphone. Sound quality is excellent, especially when playing on the car stereo. Great size/hand feel. So far no complaints!
on January 23, 2014
After using this phone for about 3 months I am still impressed by it. Although it may not be the high end device some people desire I find it works terrifically for me. The build quality is outstanding all seams and lines are tight and smooth. The screen looks amazing and the size is perfect; feels very comfortable to hold and fits nicely into a shirt pocket. I am extremely satisfied with this device and would certainly purchase again..
on December 18, 2013
I got this because I like my friend's regular HTC One, but that one is too big for my small hands. Wasn't going to add music due to the low storage space but got a taste of Beats Audio and now I'm REALLY hooked. Sounds a MILLION times better than my iPod. It's been about 2 wks, and I have no complaints about this phone at all. Highly recommend it.
on January 25, 2014
I bought the mini to avoid having a very large device to carry and keep up with. The screen is large enough
and as I learn more about operating it and using the many features it is worth the upgrade. I like the clear, distinct sound
and tutorials and other than making the transition to a smart phone it has been worth the money. I see no need
for a phone with the larger screen. Go for it!
on October 3, 2013
This phone is quick, has great sound, and does everything your average user would need except to allow for storage expansion. Unless I start to shoot a lot of video, I may never use it, but it would be nice to have the option. It's very slim and sleek, and paired with the Poetic Atmosphere case, it looks great and works beautifully carried in my front pocket.
on July 6, 2014
Amazing phone, love the smooth texture when I scroll down the phone. Love how it is simple and quick to use too. I love how it supports a lot of the AT&T apps such as Drivemode which is really awesome. I love how it's also supported by beats audio which I love the most! High recommend this phone.