Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on April 11, 2014
Love my Onkyo's. Had a 7.1 surround sound setup for about 6 years (an older model) that was great but only had HDMI passthrough. I bought this one as an upgrade and it does not disappoint.

Pros:
Sound is top notch once again.
Great selection of preset equalizers
Tons of inputs and 2 HMDI outputs. Using it for 2 game consoles, an ARC connection to TV, 1 Roku, and 1 Media Server.
Lag is only noticeable if I use auto motion plus on my Samsung TV. (which is a fault of the TV.) I used to notice significant lag on my old one when using an Optical Input. Now that I have migrated to HDMI, the issue is gone.
WIFI connectivity works.

Cons:
DLNA is a bit lacking. Its cool for music, but the fact that it does not support Video makes it almost null and void. Better to just dock something to it or input your media center to it directly.
Apps are a bit lame. Pandora won't let you sort your stations so you see them in the order created, not alphabetically.

All it all its a sweet buy for the price. I purchased this bundle at the same price most vendors were selling the system by itself, so it was even sweeter.
on July 11, 2014
Exactly what I wanted. I bought a home that was wired with a 5 speaker system plus 2 outside patio speakers so I reviewed various 7-2 systems. I was looking for one that I could separately run a different component (like a 5 player CD in zone2 with separate volume control) and TV in zone1. This Onkyo does it. Also was looking for one that I could use my TV speakers or use the 5 speakers, this Onkyo has that by-pass. I turn off the receiver when I'm watching everyday stuff, and turn the receiver on for HD movies or when using other connected devices (i have a 3D DVD, 5 player CD, and a DVD/VCR unit). The surround sound set up seems to work, even my Polk 10in base sub-woofer that I had to add

Now the setup took some work. The online manual takes some sifting thru and you have to have an idea what you are looking for. Finding the different options and how to toggle all the front buttons will take an effort on your part. This device and probably all the others, is not a plug and play because of the various configurations that are available. Setting up Zone 2 was another issue I had because you need to set the correct internal bypass switches. This function of 2 separate systems with the one receiver DOES Work. Zone2 devices also must be Analog, not digital connection. I'm not sure if a 2nd TV can be made to function. I'm using min just for Audio. Also, if you have specific issues, the Onkyo forum is the best for asking technical questions. Working with the TV on-screen menus require patience and taking notes because it can be complicated. Do not buy if you are not willing to read and ask questions...

The back/front input port labels do not always align with my actual devices so I ended up placing small labels in the front for indicators. I also wished that the cable connectors were not screws but spring loaded like the Denon. But this unit had every thing I thought I wanted vs the Denon. Used the Amazon comments to review and also went to outside sources like Crutchfied.com.

The bundled headphone was great because it gave you about 10ft of cord
on February 26, 2014
I have nothing but praise for the Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver.

I replaced an older JVC receiver and a 5.1 Technics speaker set with the Onkyo TX-NR626 and a pair of Klipsch HD300 speaker systems. (Yeah, it required 2 HD300s because the TX-NR626 is 7.2 and the HD300 is only 5.1.)
My other components are an LG HDTV, LG BluRay, JVC HD DVD-R and DirecTV HD STB,
I also have a large MP3 collection on my home network and a fondness internet-delivered music such as Pandora and Last.FM,

The most difficult part was removing the old equipment and (re)connecting everything to the Onkyo, but that was expected.
My old JVC receiver had RCA type connections so some components had to be routed through the TV to the JVC receiver and others had to be connected to *both* the TV *and* the JVC receiver. There were cables all over the place. Yecch!
Now all my devices are connected to the Onkyo using HDMI so my cabling is much cleaner.

As soon as the Onkyo was powered on, it went into its initial configuration mode.
It used its Audessey MultEQ system and provided microphone to balance my sound.
It helped me program the Onkyo remote for *all* my other devices - Easy as pie and now 1 remote handles *everything*.
Bonus: Free iOS and Android remote control apps are available to control the receiver with a cell phone or tablet.

It was easy to get connected to my home WiFi network.
Onkyo firmware updates were downloaded and installed through the WiFi connection without a hitch.
i could browse internet music sources as well as my own collection.

My home theater system sounds better than it ever has and it's easier to control too.

The only thing this system doesn't have is a built-in wireless speaker system so I could get rid of all the speaker wires too.
On the other hand, that would make it much more expensive.
on January 23, 2014
A lot of the entertainment was in getting it successfully set up with my existing components. Spent several frustrating sessions involving connections and (on screen) menus, which are unnecessarily awkward, even when familiar with the navigation style. Labels on remote are difficult to see in subdued lighting. Endless listening modes, depending on content and component in use. Still not sure about proper settings when playing DVDs and the sound quality is very erratic until experimenting with Listening Mode settings with each DVD movie. Using Denon 7.1 speaker array installed around the room with previous receiver. Main reason for buying was to get the HDMI multiple inputs and phono input for future expected use.
on March 29, 2014
Very easy to set up and use, The added bonus of the Monster Cable HT700 8 Outlet Surge Protector, Two 6-foot Full HD 1080p HDMI Cables, HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD, Two 1oz. Bottles of Monster Screen Clean with Cloth Was great.