Q-See QCN8004B 1080p High Definition Weatherproof IP Bullet Camera with 100-Feet Night Vision (White)
Size Name: .Add-on CameraColor Name: WhiteChange
Price:$329.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 2, 2013
Size Name: .Add-on CameraColor Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Within the first hour the camera had built up enough condensation on the lens to make the image completely blurred. The dome version of this (QCN8009d) works perfectly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2013
Size Name: .Add-on CameraColor Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using basic 640 rez cameras for surveillance. I decided to give this HD cam. a try for a unique application, and whamo, the IQ (Image Quality) is superb... if you need to zoom in (after capture), this is the camera for u. I have not any experience with HD surv. cameras like this, so not sure how high the IQ of this camera is vs. others on the market, but for my eyes, this looks hard to beat. Price seems reasonable as the cable included is of very high quality, as well as the mounting hardware and camera finish. Will report more after a few months of use.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Q-See QCN8004B 1080p High Definition Weatherproof IP Camera is solidly built and appears is appropriate for a outdoor camera. The mount is solid and mounted easily under the eaves of my home. The IR LED's provide reasonable results in visual darkness.

The camera came packed in what I classify was frustration-free packaging. The camera itself had custom padded packaging that assured it was not damaged in transit. Also in the box was a 100ft CAT5e cable, a power Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) power injector to power the camera over the LAN connection with just one cable. The power supply can also plug directly into the camera as well as the PoE injector.

There was no manual or software CD/DVD included. I believe this camera is only intended as a add-on for an existing system, but don't be disheartened. Documentation and Network Video Recorder (NVR) software are downloadable from the Q-See web site. The manual is easy to locate but the NVR was a little more challenging, but certainly worth it if you want a recording surveillance system. Look for "Smart PSS" - that's the download you'll want to run on your desktop PC.

The camera has a web nice interface so it can be directly viewed on a PC, Mac with whatever. The interal OS of the camera is Linux through if it weren't in the documentation I would not know. The web interface provided me with pretty wide control over the camera including snapshots, frame rate, motion detection, exposure and loads of network related settings.

The QCN8004B comes into its own when part of a NVR system. I don't know anyone who wants to sit in front of a display live monitoring their camera system so get the NVR and setup a recording system so you can see what happened when you were NOT looking. The Q-See NVR software is much much better than their older analog DVR recorder software that I've used in the past. It can do all the DVR things of displaying a grid of cameras, controlling display, scan over time skipping blank time (motion triggered recordings), export video, provide remote access to the LAN or via smart-phone/pad.

I think Q-See has done a good job with the system but it's essential to go the web site to get the "rest of the picture" with the manual and software.

In practical operation I have noticed (as another has) a tendency for the camera front glass to fog or collect condensate in some circumstances compromising the image. I brought out my favorite solution of Rain-X Glass Treatment and have had no problems since. So if you live in a foggy and humid area a little application of Rain-X may be an ideal solution.

Hope this helps someone. There are so many details and so much to the product that could be it's too much for a review. If you want to know the details get the excellent manual from Q-See and you will have an abundance of information.

I'd give the Q-See QCN8004B 5 stars if it included a CD/DVD with NVR software and manual rather than making me chase them down on their web site. So lose one star and leave 4.

Update Nov 29, 2013:
It seems this is the same camera as the BW® IPC-HFW3200S 2Megapixel Full HD Network Small IR-Bullet Camera With POE. It's price is about 2/3 the price of the Q-See branded model.
on December 8, 2014
Size Name: .Add-on CameraColor Name: White
I have four QXN8004B cameras. One of the cameras stopped working after 2 months of use and another camera after 4 months. They are almost perfect cameras when they work (definitely 5 stars based on performance) and I couldn't be happier with the sharp images. Luckily for me they stopped working within the warranty time period. I might even upgrade my rating for this item if I don't have any additional issues in the next couple of years (or downgrade my rating if I have more problems)
on November 7, 2013
Camera and mount are full metal construction and weigh in at just over 17 oz, fully weatherproof with adjustable sun shade included.

Unlike cameras that are not 'IP' (Internet protocol) , these are fully loaded with all electronics needed to operate over your existing network as a stand alone camera to view an area live...
or, you can use the Q-See (or other) software to make your computer into a video recorder and use all the added features that come with the security programs.

This QCN8004B is ready with all needed features onboard to make use of the security software features you'll want to use.

Real world usage is so much better with the 1080 HD resolution over the lower end IP cameras with much less resolution to work with.

Color is good as is the night view (B&W) As with any camera, it all depends on the lighting of the scene though, so remember, the better the lighting, the better the view you get.

If you want or need better video than this will give, you need to look into one of the other digital systems like the 'SDI' type

So use it as a stand alone live view out of the box, or with the free software from Q-See on your computer to actually have a "system" in use.
Visit the Q-See web site to read PDF manuals and download their free software.

I've never owned or used Q-See products before so can't speak for their ability to hold up or please the owner over time so will have to see how it goes with some time in service. Lots of information out there, have a look around until you decide for yourself.

Here are the specifications for the QCN8004B;

Main Processor
Texas Instruments DaVinci high-performance DSP

OS
LINUX

System Resources
Supports simultaneous real-time network, local record, and remote operation

User Interface
Remote operation through Web Service and PSS

System Status
Bit stream stats, log, and software version.

Image Sensor
1/3" 2.0 Mp SONY progressive scan Exmor CMOS

Min. Illumination
0.1LUX/F1.2 (color), 0.01LUX/F1.2 (b/w)

Lens

1f/s snapshot. Files saved as JPG

Privacy Mask
Maximum 4 privacy zones supported

Video Adjustment
Brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gain

Video Info
Channel title, time, motion detection, masking

Motion Detect
396 (18x22) zones. Six sensitivity levels. Motion detection
activation options: alarm, recording, snapshot, log and e-mail
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2013
I am using this camera with an existing Q-See DVR (with 4 other 720p cameras attached), and it really works well. The image quality is excellent. I've tried literally probably 10+ other 720p and 1080p cameras in the below-$300 price range, and none of them have this good of image quality. When used with the DVR, the camera is extremely easy to setup and manage.

I have also tested the setup with the camera connected as an IP camera directly to my web browser and mobile camera apps. This setup is definitely more complicated, and I'd say that the Q-See mobile apps are a bit lacking here. But it definitely worked in this setup, and the image quality was just as good. So, if you want to use this camera in a generic IP setup (no DVR), just be ready to do a bit of extra setup work.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is one of those cameras that falls under the "bargain" category. Oh, it's a nice enough build and I think it does fine outdoors, but the resolution does leave a few things to be desired, as does the motion detection. The good is that this views and records outdoor events as nicely as its indoor counterparts of the same brand, though I have noticed some slight problems with condensation--nothing that obscures, though. I found it easy to mount and it seems sturdy enough to survive the beating of weather. The bad is that this still does not have the best resolution as others. Which isn't a problem in itself, just makes it less desirable if you are looking for an excellent camera. This simply doesn't have enough good about it to make it worth much of a recommendation.
on January 8, 2015
Size Name: .Add-on CameraColor Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Worked perfect! Just plugged it in and it worked!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 26, 2013
We used this as an add-on to a four camera system with a lower resolution. We got both at the same time so the set-up was done all at the same time, and the larger set with the DVR came with quick installation posters that were helpful. A CD came with the big set and the full user manual is available on the Q-See website.

The difference with the QCN8004B is that it is 1080p high definition resolution. This is weatherproof (as is my other set). This camera can be mounted on a flat surface such as a wall or the ceiling.

This is a wired system but it's a professional high quality product, it is definitely do-able as a DIY project for the handy although anyone who is not into running their own wire through the walls would probably want to hire someone to do the task.

We have a fully monitored security system in our home and I wanted this as an add-on because I am too cheap to pay $30 extra a month plus equipment and installation fees to the alarm company.

I think it's really cool that we can monitor our cameras using our mobile devices while away from home.

Q-See has a large product line with different features and different resolution cameras and DVR video capturing capability. They also have official videos on YouTube to watch to help you understand the products. Customers have also uploaded some tutorials on how to install and use the system, which we found helpful.

I rate this product 5 stars = I Love It.
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2013
Setup
This unit was tested as a single unit hooked directly to our router and controlled through a web browser. We utilized the standalone power pack to provide power over the included 100-foot network cable.

Review
The Q-See 1080p IP camera (Model QCN8004B) is a high definition IP indoor/outdoor camera that has very good image quality in lighted situations and adequate image quality in infrared situations. This product is a definite improvement over the 720p indoor/outdoor cameras that we utilize at work, which were comparable in price at the time they were purchased. There camera has about a 2-3 second delay from the time that a live event takes place before it appears on the screen, so it is not a real-time camera. Also, there were no manuals included with this camera, so it took some research and ultimately some guessing to make the camera work through a web browser setup. The manufacturer's website was not helpful at all with trying to set up the product in our situation, though the online manual was very clear in how to connect the camera in a DVR setup. The web interface with the camera gives you a lot of opitions, including the ability to set up dozens of video settings, controlling network settings, and setting up a recording schedule. Overall, it is a very good indoor/outdoor camera once I got passed the frustration of setting it up.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations