Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on June 13, 2014
I gave abundant thought to buying a wireless speaker with Airplay and/or Bluetooth capability. Having read numerous professional reviews and watching the occasionally well done video reviews (and the poor videos that almost always start with "Hey Guys...") on YouTube and individual companies' websites and, of course, taking cost into account, my choice came down to the Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 and the Bose SoundTouch 20. I could not make a direct audio comparison between the two since the large consumer stores rarely carry Cambridge Audio products, so I had to rely on Cambridge's reputation. As for the SoundTouch, I listened to the same demo music repeatedly. Even the closest Bose store couldn't deviate from protocol and allow the potential buyer to Airplay music from his/her iOS device. To be fair, the demo music sounded fairly rich and well balanced, but in the end I opted for Minx based on several factors.

The Setup: I took the less convoluted route by engaging the WPS feature on my Comcast router and then depressing the WPS button on the Minx' rear panel. An Internet connection was established in 10-15 seconds. Super easy!

Connectivity: At first, the Minx would only maintain a wifi connection for about 30-45 minutes before `"stuttering" began and a restart sometimes became necessary. A small location adjustment to my router, however, has corrected the original issue. The Bluetooth connection produces excellent sound.

Sound Quality: The Minx 100 produces rich, vibrant sound either through Internet radio stations or the audio library from my or my wife's MacBook Pro. We have no complaints on this account. JazzRadio's Vibraphone channel, for instance, displays a wide range of instrumental arrangements that can put the Minx to the test at both low or high listening levels. So far, the best listening experiences range from Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet's superb rendition of "The Lady is a Tramp," "Wishing You Were Somehow Here" from "Phantom of the Opera," and the lush vocally nuanced sounds of Jane Monheidt, Aretha Franklin, or Andrea Boccelli. On the other hand, with artists like Amy Winehouse and Christina Aguilera ("Hurt," "Keeps Gettin' Better") with limited vocal ranges, the Minx seems to accentuate the music over the vocals, maybe to hide singers' shortcomings??

Bass: Very good. The dial on the back panel or on the Minx app makes adjustment easy.

Visual Appeal: Stylish without being over-the-top. The Minx fits easily on a bookshelf or a user's nightstand.

The App: The Minx app works about 10% of the time. Too bad...it's the weakest link in the Minx experience so far. You can adjust the bass and, of course, make preset selections as well as search from Internet radio stations. The work-around involves using Airplay first to connect to the Minx. Then the Minx app seems to lock in to the speaker every time. Cambridge assured me that an updated version of the software will be available soon.

Marriage made in audio heaven: Using the analog audio inputs on the Minx, I connected a Logitech UE satellite radio and the sound quality was amazingly clear and detailed. And...there were no worries about the signal disappearing. The Minx played for hours until the unit was turned off.

All things considered, I think the Minx has elegant sound and provides a very wide range of listening experiences.
on October 7, 2014
The device is fine: looks good, sounds great. Also, no reservations about recommending its Bluetooth audio function.

The problem is the the app that controls its "Internet Radio" feature. It almost always has trouble connecting to the device, and when it does, it has trouble managing the presets. For each of the 10 presets, it's supposed to display an icon and a text description. It has great difficulty displaying the correct icons and descriptions. The problem mostly occurs on stations that provide either icon-only or text-only description. Usually either the icon is correct or the description, but not both.

A software update to fix this would make it a 5 star product in my opinion.
on November 15, 2015
The speaker itself is very good. if you're familiar with other Cambridge Audio products this won't come as a surprise to you. My only complaints are the shoddy volume management over Airplay (the speaker seems to start playing at the 'last' volume used previously and takes a second or two to adjust to the volume requested) and the fact that there is no proper network standby function. The speaker invites you to allow it to turn off automatically, and considering how hot it gets at the back after a couple of hours, you may actually want to.
The sound is great for a single speaker. I have a pair of Cambridge SX-50 bookshelf speakers and obviously it cannot compete with those, not even close. But for a space saving solution, for a bedroom let's say, this is not bad.
Now, here is the important bit: my unit makes a hissing/buzzing sound when idle. This is absolutely unacceptable for a quality speaker and I'll be returning it. Given that I have bought it from one of the third party resellers here on amazon that offer a substantially discounted price, I am suspicious that the unit I received was, how to put it, a hasty refurb (but it was advertised as new). Let's just say, check your unit thoroughly if you order from these guys.
on May 21, 2013
First impression is quality - this is really well built and will last. Good design: compact with no flashy lights or knobs. Set-up was easy and the instructions are great. The Internet radio is a real bonus and I have thousands of stations from which to choose, but the real "Wow!" is the music, which, like the radio, can be controlled by the remote, or my iPhone. (The iPhone app, by the way, is brilliant.)

My existing systems are a Livio Internet radio and a Bose system and they just do not compare for the quality of sound from Cambridge Audio's Minx Air. I have the Minx Air 100 and I can only imagine what the 200 model would be like in a large room. You have to hear it to believe it.

I could not be more pleased and I am betting my friends will soon have a Minx Air system of their own.
on July 1, 2015
Perfect for my studio apartment. Fills the space without overwhelming. Very easy to set up; no problem with drop-outs so far.
on May 27, 2013
The minx has been a great hit in Europe. See the reviews on amazon U.K. for lots of comments on this super piece of kit. 25 reviews and every one given 5 stars!I have bought two minx 100's...fantastic quality.
on June 7, 2014
PROS
- Great looking speaker!
- Sound was decent, but I expected more from Cambridge, for some reason.
- Really like the option for using either Bluetooth or Wi-fi
- Having a sound adjustment knob on the back for the bass was a nice touch
- Can provide a surprising level of bass
- Has an iphone app

CONS
- Sound was just decent. For the price (and Cambridge Audio), I expected more body to the sound.
on December 17, 2013
I was very excited about this MINX Air 100 "Wireless" Music System with Airplay, etc. . . . it received rave reviews based upon its sound and is well-deserved. I already had a Big Jambox wireless speaker which I love --- also with great sound which plays wirelessly on battery charges and/or can be plugged in to a wall outlet for power --- but I was intrigued by this Minx with bigger sound that also offered air play AND internet radio, something I listen to frequently. My biggest disappointment, actually make that a shock, was that this device only operates when plugged into a wall outlet. I had anticipated it could be charged and played without any wires like my Big Jambox, but it only works when plugged into a wall outlet for power. Cambridge Audio missed the boat by not offering that type of "wireless" option.