Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Long ago I sold my Yamaha stereo system and have always regretted it. When I saw this offered on Vine, I grabbed it, thinking it was just a stereo. Boy, was I wrong. I have posted some pictures above to show the relative size of this unit. The box that arrived at my home said it weighed 67kg (147lbs) and was to be lifted by at least 2 people. The unit came packaged well with much Styrofoam and very thick cardboard.

The connections were relatively simple. The speakers each had 3 sets of wires with special connectors on the ends which are color coded for easy assembly. The wires themselves are not that long around 7 feet. On the speaker end they are directly wired into the speaker with no connectors. If you wanted to extend the distance to the amplifier, with the special connectors, I'd guess you would have to jury rig it. The only other connections on the rear of the power unit are for a dual FM/AM supplied antenna and two sets of L & R audio inputs for TV/DVD/SAT and the other for gaming equipment.

Once setup, we powered up, put a music CD in the player (part of the head unit) and it came to life, both lights and sound. The supplied remote controls all the functions which are duplicated on the front panel of the amp. We cranked it up about 60% and couldn't stay in the room! I could easily see this unit used by a DJ in a wedding or party. The sound was incredibly clear with definitely a strong bass. The lights can be turned off or there are several modes and colors offered. A little much for my home, but would be fun at a dance party.

I tried a USB drive but that wasn't compatible, so I will have to work on that. Next, I then tried Bluetooth with my Kindle Fire HD. There is a Bluetooth button on the unit, which is used to sync with your Bluetooth on your phone, tablet, etc. Worked perfectly and I played directly from my Fire memory and from my Amazon Cloud.
Nice. Sound was as good as from the CD. I will try and hook up my 5.1 unit to this and see what happens.

I realize this is an expensive unit, but it's a Sony and Sony is always more expensive, but the quality is usually worth it. You can buy a home stereo unit or entertainment center for much less, so unless you live in the desert, where your neighbors are a mile away, this unit for the home may be overkill. For a VFW hall, wedding with DJ or any dance venue this Sony unit would be unbelievable. This could easily fill a very large room with sound.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yes. This is awesome. I love it. It pairs effortlessly with every Bluetooth device I've tried it with. The sound is crisp and clear and epic (and cool!). The flashing lights are a nice touch as are the disguised handles on the speaker, and trust me, you'll need them to pick this bad boy up (and you'll probably need a friend, too). Set up and connecting was quick and easy due to color coded cords. I really have nothing negative to say about this audio system. It's stood up to daily use over the last 3 weeks and I think it would probably last for another 10 years.

The only complaint I have is the packaging. There isn't nearly enough styrofoam and padded protection given not only the price of this item, but also its heft and size. One plastic piece arrived broken (the one that's designed to prop the receiver up at an angle so it's not really needed anyways) and the mesh is dented over one of the speakers, although to be honest, I didn't see the dent until someone more detail-oriented than myself pointed it out. With that said, the exterior of the box was very beat up down one side and one corner completely smushed in quite a ways.

I do really love and enjoy this item and get a LOT of use out it, but you should probably be home when it's delivered to ensure that the shipper and delivery person notes any damage to the package.
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There isnt enough here to review this thing totally, this is the most incredible, awesome sounding, loud, easy to use sound system I have ever had the pleasure of owning. True 14 inch base with led lighting, dj sound, you can plug in a microphone and sing along easily. This thing would be awesome in any house with one caveat. You have to have the room. This setup is huge, and when I say huge, I mean huge. The sound is almost perfect and there are 50 levels of sound. You start off at one, and that is almost loud enough for a quiet setting. I cant imagine what 50 would give me. Regardless, even with the price, this thing is worth it. I mean seriously, you can blow the roof off of your house.

Just hooked a record player up to it and it works great. No issues there. Spent the night listening to vinyl and have been very happy with the results.
on February 12, 2015
I bought this through best buy for $930 including taxes. I was actually wanting to buy its newer and bigger brother Sony shake 55 (3,000 watts rms) but I couldn't find very many reviews on it. I wish I would of got the Sony shake 55 because I love the Sony Shake 5!! Sony shake 55 was also cheaper $799 plus tax. So with this being an older model and not as much power as Sony shake 55, I have no idea why it was $100 more. There was a lot more reviews on this one than shake 55 was the reason I got this model. I absolutely love it!! I been into music and fascinated with stereo systems and installing them in my vehicles since I was 16. I'm that guy with 2 batteries in their car, did the big 3 upgrade, has 2 amps one for subs and the other for speakers and I put out a total of 1600 TRUE RMS watts just in my car. No I don't think this system is a true 2400watts but neither is Sony's competitors. This system is still AMAZING!! the volume goes up to 50. I had the volume up to 45 and the pictures hanging on the wall in the other room was moving. It is clear with no distortion even at high volumes. The Bluetooth connects flawlessly with is a huge plus for me since I listen to Pandora a lot. You can even skip the song on Pandora using the stereo remote. I love that it has different led patterns and different colors. You can turn them off it you don't want them on. This system is made well and the quality is very good. It is very pretty heavy, the whole unit weighs 160 pounds. I don't DJ but it has dj effects that does various things to the music and you can adjust the different levels. It has mic input and setup for 2 rca jacks which is nice.It has different eq settings like football/pop/hip-hop etc.. You can even create your own eq with high- low- mids and they each can go up to +6. It has a bass bazuca button that gives it more bass with a push of a button but that button isn't on the remote which kind of sucks. This also has party chain mode which allows you to connect ANY other stereo that has party chain mode. It will be synced and play the same thing at the same time. So down the road you can upgrade your system and still keep your current one. Samsung and some of the other competitors don't have the party chain mode. I wish it had more than one cd disc changer. I wish it had (2-3) 1' tweeters on each speaker box rather just one. This is an excellent home stereo system!! I don't have nothing to say negative about it other than the small stuff that I mentioned. I would advise getting the Sony shake 55 because its the bigger brother of this model, more power and a cheaper price. I didn't because I wasn't able to find more reviews on it and was unsure about it. But I'm satisfied with this model so I'm going to keep it!! It doesn't disappoint!!
on May 19, 2014
The Sony Shake 5 is a very good, entry level HiFi sound system. The sound is clear and accurate at all levels 1 thru 50. The bass is clean and hits hard and hits many levels high and low. However, it isn't the top of the line sound where you would hear every bass note there is in a song. For that, you would upgrade to a system that is well over $1,000 bucks. Remember that different media gives better or worse sound output so its not always the system that affects the sound quality but rather the source.

Overall, it's a great system for $800 bucks.
on February 7, 2015
great sound
No HDM1 outputs for TV or DVD /Blu Ray player
My microphones work great for Karaoke
No words for sing along
was no operational manuals in sony packed box
called sony tec instuct me to do internet serch >
Esupportsony.com - enter electronics sony. - enter manuals - type in shake 5 enter - select manuals - select lower right hand copier Icon -
Print done :)
on October 19, 2014
Bought this yesterday and I thought paying a grand was too hefty, so I managed to find it elsewhere at a lower price, but I plugged in this bad boy and I was quite amazed by the clear sound coming out of the speakers. I've had systems before and this one tops it. There are so many things you can do with this system that it might take me amazed week to figure it all out. Obviously it has bluetooth and it works fine, just amazed bit choppy (possibly my service). It recognized my galaxy s5 and my cousin's iPhone 5C without a problem. Cool thing is that you can transfer music between phone by having them both plugged in and that blew my mind. The only downside I've had on this product was the radio. The antenna is just a regular AM/FM cable on any other home stereo. You gotta move it around to get the right signal. I'm in the basement so it was a bit more difficult but I got it to work and I had no other problem. So yeah that was the only con. Now sound wise, I gotta say, the bass travels through the whole house and outside if you put it up to volume 25. I could feel the bass in my chest and the windows shaking, it's got power! The mid and tweeter balance correctly and all together sounds beautiful. The light show is cool, but some songs may not coordinate too well with it since it responds to the beat and intensity of the song, so you'll have to experiment which mode is best. There is much more to list but I haven't gotten that far.
on December 15, 2013
I've had this system for two days now. It was very easy to set up and get everything connected. Using bluetooth was a breeze. This thing is huge AND heavy. The speakers are as big as the ones you would see at a club. As far as what I think about it. The flashing lights and colors get annoying after a while and I quickly turned those off. But my biggest disappointment so far has got to be the sound quality. It can go insanely loud without sounding like noise, but the range of frequencies leaves something to be desired. It comes with several preset equalizer settings that you can further customize, but customization is limited to adjusting LOW, MID, and HIGH......that's it. and they can each go from -6 to +6. Listening to some Pink Floyd, Rush, and Doors, I felt like I was missing out on a lot of the highs and mids. I really wished the setting went up to +10 or that they would have just included a full range equalizer. I suppose this system is great if you are just interested in listening to hip hop, bass, or club music, but I was just expecting a better range for a $1000 system. I may check out how adding an external equalizer works out.
on January 12, 2016
this is the most powerful stereo I ever had this is great throwing parties is wonderful so now you came up with a good one thank you I enjoyed
on October 23, 2013
I have this stereo and I must say I love it its got power so if ur thinking about getting 1 get it its worth the money I love mine