Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on May 7, 2014
What I'm going to touch on here are the things that I found most important about this machine when I installed it for a client of mine. This machine is perfectly acceptable under most standards for daily computer usage. The stand is perfectly stable, and everything is good. However, there are some things you should be made aware of.

* The keyboard and mouse are indeed wired. That is odd for an All-In-One system. Most of these systems come with a Bluetooth pre-paired wireless set. This may be a good thing for you though, as I have had plenty of calls related to dying Bluetooth keyboards, and people do not know how to change the batteries in them. No, I'm not joking.

* The power cord is not standardized. They use their own power cord.....know what that means? It's more susceptible to breakage. That's right, money for HP....

* The touch screen is great....but .... are you really going to use it? Really? After the first 48 hours?

* Windows 8.... Let me be clear about Windows 8. It's not the greatest, but you'll be ok. Heck, you might even like it after a while.

* The Keyboard and mouse are cheap cheap cheap.

* There are no recovery disks, or Certificates of Authenticity. All of that info is stored on your motherboard, in your bios...but the recovery disks? Make a copy using the tool in the computer. Otherwise when your hard drive dies (and it will) you'll have to buy recovery disks from HP.

A NOTE ABOUT NEW COMPUTER PURCHASES: Word and Excel do not come with your new computer. The best thing I can tell you to do is to get Office 365 for 99 a year! If you don't like that, get [...]

SHORT AND SWEET: All in Ones are expensive. This one is acceptable, but you're making concessions, for sure!
66 comments|224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2014
Love this computer. Really great price, was looking for a desktop but nothing REALLY fancy and at a great price. Love the fact that this uses WiFi (can hard wire if you choose to) giving me the option to put it practically anywhere in the house! Super big screen, Awesome graphics and display! We did not get the touchscreen which would be fun but not necessary to enjoy this computer! it was so simple to set up I was online in minutes! comes with Windows 8, some nice video editing software, a DVDRW drive, and a nice integrated HD webcam. Truly for the price this was an excellent purchase. I did also get the 4 year warranty along with it...just in case!
22 comments|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2014
--SEE CRITICAL UPDATE 2/6/15 BELOW--
Got this new on sale at local big box store on sale for $449. What a great deal I got but this PC is worth it at Amazon's sale price for sure. Love this AIO PC. Just got it three days ago and everything so far from my XP tower is working on it with zero issues. Including many freeware programs that I was hoping to keep (PIM's, screen snaps, etc). They all work and load faster. Except Netmeeting (not compatible). I had to re-install programs like Thunderbird and works fine. I installed several programs that say compatible with windows 7, but I guess that means it works in windows 8 ok too, as they have for me.

This is not a high end higher speed processor so it's not best for video rendering, etc. But I wanted a lower price AIO with no touch and good basic PC use. This has been a wonderful experience upgrading from my old XP tower.

The screen is non-touch even though it says it's touch. It's not touch. However, there is a wonderful advantage- it's non-glare! No 'mirror effect' like all the touch screens have! I realized I didn't want touch anyway for non-mobile desktop purposes and use. The non-glare really makes sitting at the screen much more pleasurable in my experience. I will never get anything but non-glare type screen. Also, this is an LED screen, which is much better/clearer then LCD.

I don't care to use the touch interface icons anyway, as I found it's easy enough to navigate the touch icons with the mouse wheel. Move mouse wheel down, the screen swipes left, as if you did it with your finger.

I was worried about getting around in windows 8 because I like the desktop interface and first looked for windows 7, but mine came pre-installed with windows 8.1, and makes using the desktop interface much easier and much like I'm used to. You can work all day in standard windows desktop mode and never use the touch icon mode. You can get a 3rd party program to even have the classic start menu.

The two small internal speakers at bottom front at first sound just ok, but a little better then expected. They make the claim- "immersive surround sound complete with deep bass". Deep bass? hardly. However, the surround sound is impressive! dts surround sound is adjustable and very cool- when playing music/tv/movies, you can make the sound 'wider' with the 'center', 'space', and 'focus' sliders, and in fine detail. Be sure to do that. It knocked my socks off when I adjust the sliders, it's as if the speakers moved apart. I watched a youtube movie trailer in 1080 full screen HD and the dts surround really adds a lot to that movie sound experience! Beautiful HD display with 1080 smooth playback. And HD looks better on LED than LCD.

Keyboard and mouse are USB wired and ok. Keyboard buttons are half standard height so I switched keyboard to full height and size buttons, which I just like better. No HDMI or video out port for 2nd monitor but I got the Diamond HD USB VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter (model BVU165) and 2nd monitor works great.

Haven't tried the wireless internet connection yet but it found two wireless in my neighborhood. Haven't used the cam yet.

HP offers software options that pop-up at times, a support program, password manager, etc, that I'm not sure I want running yet or not. HP Support Assistant runs in the tray all the time and recommends I take action (not sure what), and a warranty pop-up came up once, but I guess all PC makers have these. I like the HP Simplepass so you enter one password for all your different passwords, although it doesn't work if there is a security word required to login.

I would get another one of these and a faster processor to run more cpu intensive software, like trader software or digital audio workstation. The pro trading software from Merrill Lynch works flawlessly and fast, but Think or Swim has short pauses and errors when main screen is moved to 2nd monitor. This shows that it's the software causing the problem. Merrill Lynch software is written better then Think or Swim, which is bloated.

All in Ones are great but I do worry about maintenance and upgrades. I'm a DIYer, but never worked inside these and not sure you can or should. This runs quiet!

UPDATE 2/11/2014: Had an error installing the HP All In One printer software for my HP Officejet 5610. Searching help forum had all kinds of different things and steps to try that would take hours. Amazingly I got it to install without doing any of them! I noticed McAcfee process taking up 20% CPU and it had "scanning" in the process name. So I opened McAfee Security and turned OFF Real-Time Scanning, not knowing that would also get the printer driver software to work. It did! HP All In One printer software installed with no error and printer works ok now. So when installing software turn that off and also right click as Administrator on the setup.exe file.

Still lovin this PC. Everything I've tried has now worked (except Netmeeting). Not missing touch at all. I know with touch you can enlarge/make smaller web pages with finger movements. You can do same on keyboard with CTRL+ and CTRL-. I can also move pages up/down/left/right very very easy with the mouse. I think even easier.

UPDATE 2/6/15 SYSTEM CRASH!:
An HP notice popped up on my screen to instal a critical BIOS update. TIP: never update the BIOS unless something must be fixed urgently! The update said it improved security. So I did the update. The update went smooth, but it froze the PC. This, about 15 days before 1 year warranty ends. I called support and tech had me try several boot attempts, none worked. He said the motherboard malfunctioned. What? It was working perfectly before the update that HP popped on my screen! He never admitted the new bios caused the malfunction. But I was passed on to hardware tech and got a repair ticket. The good news is I will not be charged anything for shipping or repair. I was told it would take 3 weeks. The bad news is they said they can't promise to recover my data, because the system must be fully restored to like-new state. I have backups but you'd think they could restore just the bios and leave hard drive data as is. The PC I'm using now is my old XP Pro I had in the closet.

UPDATE 2/28/15
Got it back in 12 days, which is not bad. They installed new MB, reloaded windows and recovered my files that were in Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos library. Data files in other folders were lost. I've reloaded everything and it's working good again.
33 comments|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
This computer is nice if you plan on only doing light work with it. Say you want to do some word processing, email and internet; you will be happy and satisfied with this purchase.

I bought it as a development machine, my bad. If you have large programs such as Visual Studio and other development programs you need to run, you will find this computer painfully slow. Still a good machine, but when you purchase this make sure you order additional memory; you will need it!

Shared memory between video and memory reduces your installed ram to 3.5 gig usable by Windows 8. Currently if I open my development programs I used 3.5 gig of the 4 gig installed, without doing any work...

I think this is a great machine, but consider use and make some additional decisions based on how you are going to use it. When needed as described above, get more ram... Home and simple usage, you will be fine.
22 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
I got this PC on Saturday, less than a week ago as of this post. Got it mainly for taking online classes and furthering my education through the university I attend. I did not get this to play PC games or burn a lot of CD's, and I got it mainly for school work and staying online. For those purposes, it appears to be an alright pc, but..

Sometimes my page freezes, but hasn't since I downloaded Google Chrome and started using that as my browser instead of IE. For those of you having the freezing problem, try that out. IE is just junk anyway, and Chrome is a lot safer to use - or at least I think so.

I was disappointed to find that there was no manual to come with this PC. It's a good thing I knew how to set it up because there was pretty much nothing in the packaging to tell me how to do it. For the 534.00 price tag, it should have come with a manual. The keyboard isn't the greatest, but it DOES have an indicator light, but it's very faint to notice. It's there just under your Caps Lock Key.

This thing is slow in the upgrades. I have 20MBPS coming into this PC from my router, and even with that kind of connection, it's slow. And updates occur daily on this. You aren't aggravated every 10 minutes to update, but the PC will update. I set mine up to do so late at night so I won't be aggravated with the updates during the day.

With just doing what I want to do on this, I think I got a good deal. I would recommend this to a student or someone who isn't into all the gaming and downloading everything on it. I don't download anything (except Google Chrome), and I intend to stay that way.

You will get 30 days McAffe Anti-Virus with this, and it's actually pretty good. I'm impressed with how well it works with protection. You also get a 30 day trial of Office, which isn't half bad. I just went on ahead and purchased it because I know I'm going to be using it quite a lot.

Short of the slowness, it's a good PC. The speakers and sound are okay. The screen is awesome in HD. Big screen to at 23" across. I don't feel ripped on this purchase, and I actually enjoy this PC.
on September 27, 2014
This computer is the SLOWEST computer ever made.....I think computers running windows 95 were quicker at responding to commands......in FACT this computer completly went dark on us a month after HP's 1-year warranty expired (made me regret not getting an extended warranty)....but when I called for support HP just kept on throwing that there was nothing they could do unless I pay them to repair it....a cost of approx. $400, not worth it when I only paied $399 a year ago. It takes about 10 minutes to start-up and if i want to open the internet or word, it will take approx 5 minutes to load.........PLEASE DO NOT BUY!
on March 14, 2014
I must say that aside from the computer for a moment, the upgrade to Windows 8.1 makes a big improvement in the utility and sensibility of the OS. The HP computer was good enough that I purchased two. I bought one for my wife, who wanted an all in one and touch screen. After setting it all up for her (uninstalling the bloatware, giving it decent security suite protection and customizing the look and feel and redoing the tiles, and switching it from Microsoft's lackluster 'combined environment' over to Google's, I liked it enough I bought one for myself, although I got the edition with 6 gig of ram. It makes a big difference in speed. The OS slows what would be a fast computer, and the more memory you give it, the better it works. I also added an external harddisk and a personal network cloud (WD MyCloud) to better share data and protect it with auto-backups to the cloud of complete system images.The external drives were configured to the the default download repository of photos, videos and so forth, making that data easy to recover or apply to other computers. It also leaves the somewhat skinny half terabyte drive C for applications and scratch space. It's not quite a 5 star system. It would have made it to five if it had been offered with Windows 7 Home Premium, which is leaps and bounds a better and easier to use OS than 8/8.1 which seems to have tablets in mind rather than desk or laptops.
on January 8, 2015
I bought this desktop July 2014. Some things weren't right from the beginning, such as it wouldn't let me use a wireless keyboard, but I was told by HP customer service that it was because I didn't know Windows 8.1. In November the computer quit recognizing my printer, then it wouldn't let me log in, quit letting me download, and the DVD player quit. Many calls to HP, many supposed online fixes, but none of it worked. Lots of run around from their phone service reps, passing the buck. Restoration discs were not recognized by the computer, so everything is wiped off but cannot be restored. HP will not replace the computer, even though it's under full warranty, because they said this model isn't replaceable. They sent a subcontracted repairman today to install a new motherboard and hard drive, yet the system recovery discs wouldn't work. He was on the phone with HP for hours because no one would take responsibility for calling a lemon a lemon. Even the repairman says the computer needs to be replaced, as the motherboard is the cheapest, smallest produced. I could have bought the most expensive Apple Mac for the time I spent with this mess.

If you have any problems, don't mess with the lowest rank @ HP. Go to Justin, case manager, 1-877-917-4380, site code 88, ext. 2245468. He's the decision-maker. I'm waiting for his decision to send me a new desktop. *fingers crossed*

I will never buy another HP product. Their products and service are just plain bad.
on April 9, 2015
I bought this computer as a Christmas gift for my son. It has never worked properly. Constantly getting error messages and disk drive failures. I went to the warranty page and come to find out that the item I purchased in November has a Warranty expiration in June. How does that work? With that being said I am going to get it HP as soon as possible and get them to fix this. I do have another HP all in one and absolutely love it. No problems. I thought the only difference was screen size, boy was I wrong. Also don't know that I will buy electronic devices through Amazon anymore as there is no way to go in and have the problem looked at. I will revise this review after I have spoken to someone at HP.
on February 27, 2014
Good computer with nice screen size for basic computing, Web Browsing, email, streaming video, etc. Not a gaming PC or for use with resource heavy application, but is a good solid basic computer with good audio and screen.