Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

VINE VOICEon June 25, 2014
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a perfect Waze companion. The setup is very simple and easy to square away and it's really neat to have the public ability of input. Sometimes the laser pulse does arrive before you get notified but on rare occasion. Mostly you need the input from fellow drivers to key in on hot spots so you can have the system fine tune itself on your road travels.

To set up the unit it has a white and green switch; white for iPhone and green for Android, so it's pretty simple, even for someone such as myself that's color blind. At least they didn't do red/green! That in addition to another USB port for charging your phone is a really nice feature! If you have a fast download connection then the app will be spot on and ready to go in a short time. My home network took a little longer than expected but it was easy to setup once it was fully loaded. It's not as full blown as Waze and it's not able to fully recalculate like Waze but it probably in the works for future updates.

I gave it 4 stars since updating and reporting is too difficult to do while driving. A passenger needs to really take control of the process. Perhaps Cobra can streamline the concept at the next update. It does however run nicely in the background when Waze is on the front page. Nice sneaky addition! The best of the Waze along with the radar detection alerts of the iRAD unit.

It worked well in Washington DC and Baltimore but not so much in my little town. This is certainly best for larger populated areas! Good idea!.
on August 19, 2014
Overall I feel I got a nice radar detector however, since the department of transportation in most states now utilize radar to track traffic flow, well, this caused tons of false warnings as we drove from St. Louis Missouri to Orlando Florida. I don't think my iRad was quiet for more than 10 minuets the entire trip. This caused me to mute both the iRad AND my iPhone. I blame these states for being lazy and choosing to use K, Ka, and X radar to track traffic flow. Thanks for that.

Moving forward, I think that the software demands a bit too much babysitting to post the necessary warnings to the map. I realize that there are other apps out there like Trapster & Waze that utilize (manual) realtime updates of locations of traffic cameras, police, and other travel related nuisances. But, I was really hoping that the iRad with the iRadar app would've been a bit more "hands off" and be intelligent enough to automatically post them to the map......Not really. It only posts what it thinks are areas that have a lot of radar activity. But, again, I'll mention false positives from the above use for traffic flow tracking. It requires a passenger to interact with the app in order to properly report traps that the radar detector picks up. I ended up turning OFF, K, Ka, and X radar. This allowed me to ignore all the "junk" & I was able to avoid 6 different REAL speed traps which with this $90 investment, it paid for itself many times over.

I'd like to see some sort of software updates for the app & (if possible) firmware updates for the iRad to help with these false positives. They are TRULY annoying.

Other than that, it's a great radar detector for anyone wanting a good basic detector for under $100.
This is an excellent Radar detector and it works GREAT and very well with both android and iphone.. The low price of this might make you think you aren't getting a fully loaded radar detector BUT I find that using this detector with either the Cobra app or a third party app you are actually receiving a fully loaded radar solution!!

This device basically matches a "Manual" street condition, camera reporting, police reporting app with a live radar detector that can detect the radar from an unreported cop!!

I found this very simple to use, I found the UI for the cobra app to also be very simple to use, and I loved how it reported both "live" crowdsourced information while scanning the streets looking for a radar.

One suggestion I do have for cobra, however, you guys should make a device that will automatically update the map!! With this device, it does support real time scanning BUT users still have to manually update the app.. The app would be much more accurate if the radar detector itself could update the app, at least for a radar detection..

Overall, this is a very inexpensive radar detector that works GREAT and also doesn't look like you have a giant radar hanging on your window..
on June 20, 2014
The iRAD 230 from Cobra, in theory, sounds like a great idea by integrating a radar detection device with a Smartphone App.

I thought "this is so cool" forgetting a main component is actually using my smartphone for this idea to work. I already have a detector hanging on the windshield, and don't want to also attach my cell phone to be able to view it for the two to work together. Then I'd have two dangling wires, because it's impossible to use my cell without charging it at the same time as both Bluetooth and GPS functionality must be turned on your phone to work with the iRAD 230; for me, these are battery drainers (especially GPS).

I decided to use it as the passenger to see how it worked. I feel like trying to use it while driving would present a problem for me, as when an alert from a prior user would pop up, I would need to press whether I have seen this or if I am not sure. The app started to remind me of a free app I have occasionally used in the past that is very similar but based solely on the "community" of drivers currently on the road. With that app, you report various road conditions, police sightings, hazards, etc. As a passenger, using that app comes in handy. The iRAD app, while looking nice and having various user settings, didn't seem as useful as the other free app called Waze. And as this is also "community based" it is relying on other people for data, I wasn't getting many alerts, and the ones I did get were out-dated. Obviously more people need to be using the app for this to be effective and helpful.

Pros: the app easily paired with my Bluetooth and GPS - and it alerts you to turn them on if they are off. It also easily pairs with the detector (the one light on the iRAD will change from red to blue) and the suction cup mounts works fine holding the detector in place.

I have only done in City driving while using the iRAD, so I do want to check out its Highway capabilities when I get the chance, if a road trip comes up.
on August 27, 2015
Neat concept, but it is difficult to drive and interact with your iRadar app at the same time. The concept needs some work...like voice recognition commands, so I don't scare my wife while I am checking for actual radar location and looking at my phone and driving. I discovered that I really don't need the detector itself, just the app to see who is reporting radar traps.

Needs work, but the detector works fine.
on April 28, 2014
Even though it took way too long for something like this to come out, it's good to see that it finally did, that someone finally decided to innovate a bit. It's far from perfect bit it's definitely a step in the right direction. The unit looks sleek, though I do wish it had an led screen showing some info on it as well instead of just having a simple red/blue dot and voice alerts on it. The cord could've been just a bit longer too, but the additional usb option on it is nice. The software could be better too but since it's software it could always easily get better. Ultimately it would seamlessly integrate into google maps and navigation but instead it runs its own customized google maps, so you can only use one or the other and switch in between. Their map does support directions but no navigation. The icons on the map sometimes disappear. When a frequency band is detected an alarm is displayed instead of being displayed right on the map and I haven't had any luck so far turning that off. Every now and then it seems to malfunction, it starts going off pretty much consistently with different bands for a while when there are clearly no police nearby, my theory is that it gets overheated or it gets confused by some other radar detectors because it usually stops after I change roads. I only had this for less than a week and it already detected police just in time, displayed user detected frequencies en route and user reported police sightings, warned of high threat areas, and of speed and traffic cameras and speed traps. now i can live dangerously in style, sweet.
on November 20, 2015
Awesome little detector. Works as advertise and what a great price!
Not sure I want to spend a few hundred on a gadget. But for 40 something bucks, why not.
Blue tooth link with my Nexus 6. Navigation with both Waze and the IRadar app. It's all good.
I have three cars including my wife's car. I plan on buying a few more.
on September 2, 2015
Works very well. Coupled with a Nexus 7 (Android kitkat [4.4.4] rooted) "dash board tablet" this unit is hard to beat for the price. I really like the ability to turn on and off different types of alerts and I was really pleased to see it pickup approaching trains, emergency vehicles and nearby traffic accidents very well (which is why I bought this). One thing that could use some improvement would be the map interface. It allows you to do trip navigation, monitors traffic levels and is reasonably well done and accurate but it can't compare to "Google Maps" which is what I prefer to use for trip navigation (both require a network connection either through cellular or WiFi - I use a FreedomPop WiFi Hub). It also doesn't have the ability to switch to "night" or "dark" mode display (reverse white on black) like Google Maps does at night which is kind of annoying. My work around is to run the Cobra map in the background while using Google Maps and switch back and forth every so often. I also use an iRAD 200 with the same setup in another vehicle and this one works as well or better. The only "real" issue I've had so far is when switching between units. I have to actually "un-pair" one to connect to the other, a minor annoyance but still a bit of a hassle.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon July 20, 2014
I found it a little bit confusing to set up, but I was eventually able to get everything set up right and now I'm a big fan!

This is definitely an improvement on a different model I once used--many, many years ago--which seemed to go off every five minutes and made a horrific, ear-splitting noise every time someone thought the word "radar" within 100 miles, but I would encourage you to use the Waze app (Don't worry... it's free!) until the community-based app becomes more popular with people. Right now, that one is dependent on other people providing updated data and there simply aren't enough people using it to make it all that reliable. That said, I have found that it is VERY reliable whenever I drive in or near the DC metro area.

Must be popular in DC...?
on March 9, 2015
I have a cobra 12 band and i havent been pulled over for the past 3 years, thanks to cobra and waze it really saved me from K alert and L alert, may sound old but like i said mine works pretty good, those with the bad comments on the reviews giving 2 3 stars, i think its how u set it up and where u place them. Most of the time im hitting 90mph and ones i hear K alert or when its going crazy with the alert i start slowing down, next thing u know i gotta motorcycle police behind me, yet ive been getting away. Knock on wood lol
review image