Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Update (6/23/14): Shot my first mirrorless only wedding using only the NX30, 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S, and 85mm f/1.4 and SEF580 flash. Went great. Focus was better than I could have hoped, performance was great, no lockups and I will no longer use my SLR since I was able to rely solely on the NX30 (obviously have backup equipment for professional use). The optional available micro USB external charger is awesome since I could charge my spare batteries using a USB battery pack in my camera bag. No worries running out of battery with only 2 packs at the wedding.

Fast and accurate focus
Great selection of lenses
Superb grip
Well built

Viewfinder with glasses could be better

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this mirrorless camera. I have a Sony A7R, Fuji X-M1, NEX 3N, and have used many more. This Samsung NX30 is my go to camera. I love the grip and feel of the camera, the responsive controls, fast AF, and great selection of lenses. My complaint is that the viewfinder looks a bit small through my glasses (I am near sighted) and if pointed towards the sun the eye sensor sometimes doesn't work with my glasses on.

When you buy an interchangeable lens camera you need to consider what other lenses, flashes, or other system devices are available. Does it do what you need it to do? I am exclusively a RAW shooter, so JPEG quality is not important to me (the NX30 is generally fine for JPG, but probably geared towards consumers). The Samsung NX has an excellent set of lenses available. For Zooms they have a 12-24mm, 16-50mm f/2-2.8, 16-50mm power zoom compact, 20-50mm compact, 18-55mm, 18-200mm, 50-200mm. For primes, which is what I shoot most of the time, they have: 10mm f/3.5 fisheye, 16mm f/2.4, 20mm f/2.8, 30mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8 (2d or 2d/3d), 60mm f/2.8 macro, and 85mm f/1.4. These primes are all very good. The 45mm is probably the fastest focusing, and large aperture, making it a great general purpose telephoto. All practical purposes it fills the same function as a 50mm, don't worry about the slightly different focal length. The 85mm f/1.4 is amazing quality, but is more specialized. It is a great head and shoulders portrait lens or general purpose telephoto. The 30mm f/2 is a must have if you like prime lenses. Large aperture and very compact. Sharp across the frame at f/4 or f/5.6 and sharp in the center from f/2. Samsung is adding flash support, they have a SEF-580A which is a top end flash, and Metz makes a 44 AF-1 for Samsung (don't get Pentax/Samsung, those are for the older Samsung GX cameras). The system is now pretty strong for most users.

The focus is very dependent on lens, as with any system. All the lenses except the 60mm and 85mm are focus by wire and the 60 and 85mm use ultrasonic motors and have direct manual focus as well. This makes them slower than most of the focus by wire motors which have smaller lens elements that can focus quicker. The 45mm, 10mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 18-200mm focus very quick. The 30mm is pretty average, and the 20-50mm pretty slow.

What is quick? The 45mm f/1.8 focuses as fast or faster than most high end DSLR cameras in moderate to good light. In low light, the CDAF takes over and will be slower than an SLR, but the NX30 does pretty well for a mirrorless camera.

Continuous AF with Continuous shooting (low speed drive mode) works very well, but is basically take shot, refocus, take shot, refocus, and doesn't do a great job tracking, but I find you might get 2 fps or so with a subject running towards the camera. The faster lenses are going to help here.

Touch to focus/shoot. You can set the touch screen to take a shot immediately after focusing. This will generally be excellent for your active kids. You touch on the kids face and the camera will focus and take the shot almost instantly after focus is achieved making for a nice sharp shot.

Overall I think AF is better than average for mirrorless cameras.

The extendable viewfinder is unique and in interesting feature for those that shoot with the camera lower to the ground. I find I use the articulated screen more, but it is a nice feature to have anyway.

The WiFi features are very good. I mostly use direct upload to facebook and the new remote viewfinder is excellent, allowing you nearly full control over the camera from your smart phone; with minimal lag and decent frame rates (nowhere near 30 fps), yes, you can touch to focus and also use RAW. I think it is the best WiFi implementation to date. Having the touch screen really makes entering passwords nice, etc.

Touch screen is more responsive than earlier models and very high quality. It is multi-touch so you can pinch to zoom, etc.

USB Charging. Only camera I know of that you can charge USB and use it at the same time. No need for AC battery adapter. Only drawback here is USB port is in middle of the grip, so I bought a compact right angle USB cable to plug in so I can still hold the camera and charge at the same time using USB battery pack.

i-Fn. Two modes, normal where you press i-Fn on lens and change aperture, ISO, or other configurable parameters using lens ring (or touch screen by swiping finger) or the other mode lets you press i-Fn and override one of the other buttons. I set metering mode to force the EVF on when you press i-Fn first since I sometimes have trouble with the eye sensor.

Grip. This is my favorite part, it feels dreamy in my fairly large hands. Most mirrorless cameras are too small and fail miserably here. The grip is large and very comfortable to hold, along with the very light weight of the camera it makes it easy to hold for extended periods.

Controls. Some are a bit small, but overall they work well and plenty of direct controls.

Build Quality. Composite shell, but very sturdy. Doesn't feel any more fragile than other enthusiast models, but it is much lighter. Sometimes people think of weight as quality, which is not a good correlation. My A7R has more metal in the body, but is not really better built than the Samsung.

Image Quality:
RAW image quality is comparable to other good APS-C sensors. Samsung has come a long way since their original 14.6 MP sensor. I would say this is better than Canon but not quite as good as Sony, but more than good enough to be competitive. JPEG quality is too personal to judge, some will like it and some won't. I think it is fine, but not great. Maybe too harsh with the noise reduction.

Buffer performance:
Huge improvement over earlier models. Camera no longer becomes unresponsive. Performance is superb, new shots can be added to buffer when it is emptying. Maybe 8 or 9 RAW frame buffer. Performance after buffer is still a bit slow, the camera doesn't write files out quick enough even with fast memory card, but the large buffer generally means this isn't an issue.

Battery Life:
Typical mirrorless, depends more on how long you have camera turned on over how many shots you take. Probably 300 +/- typical use.

My Suggestion:
Buy the NX30 and be sure to get either the 30mm f/2 or 45mm f/1.8 lens. These will provide excellent image quality with a great experience. I would look at other lenses depending on your usage profile, but these two lenses really help set apart the system. The 45mm with its fast focus and shallow depth of field and the 30mm with its compact size and superb image quality. The kit 18-55mm is also a fine lens, better than average for a kit lens (if you get a good copy, I say this about all kit lenses) so don't disregard it, but it also isn't what makes the system special.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2014
For years I have been devoted to Nikon but I am now 66 years old and my ability to lug heavy equipment around has greatly diminished. I have been searching for a lightweight camera, preferably with an articulated screen. I do a lot of nature photography and being able to move the screen around is very helpful. The NX30 has that screen but even better it has a rangefinder that pulls out and extends upward making for easy waist-high shooting. It is like having a belt and suspenders! The camera is wonderfully light and the ergonomics are good. It doesn't have the rugged feel of the D7000 and I worry about the lack of weather-proofing. In nature photography you encounter all manner of elements. But I am willing to be more vigilant for the ease of use.
These new mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras are "outside" the box and many devotees scoff at them but the quality is excellent. Perhaps if I worked for National Geographic there might be a problem but for the enthusiast who wants good quality with some ease of use I can recommend the NX30. I haven't worked much with the wi-if feature but can certainly see the potential. And I love the iFN button feature on the lenses. Click that button on and you can view (and change) the aperture, ISO, WB and exposure compensation without ever looking away from the screen or rangefinder.
This is an exciting camera and I am really happy to own it.
on February 22, 2014
This is a review in progress since I just received my camera yesterday.

I currently own the NX210, NX300 and NX30. I have owned Nikon DSLR's as well but wanted to move to a more compact system so I decided to give Samsung mirrorless cameras a try. Each generation gets better than the last. While the sensor hasn't changed a lot in the last three cameras the fit and finish of these cameras gets better.

Here are some things I like...

The shutter on the NX30 has a nice soft sound.
The EVF is very nice and clear.
The diopter adjustment works well for the EVF.
The EVF pulls out and the viewing angle can be changed.
The touch screen is fully adjustable, has great color and brightness.
Built in intervelometer is a very welcome addition.

Things I dislike...

The autofocus could be faster an more accurate with moving objects.
There are no spare BP1410 batteries available yet.

So far I would highly recommend this camera. At $999 it is a bit pricey but it is a solid camera with a good sensor. Samsung also has a very nice lens offering at prices that are a bit more reasonable than the other big names.

I will update this review as I have more time to evaluate the camera.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2014
I want to be upfront with this review I was given this camera as trade in from Samsung At #ditchthedslr day in Times Square NY. The review has nothing to do with me getting the camera this way. I did have to wait in line for over 7 hours and travel over 100 miles to get it and give up my Olympus Evolt 330 so it did cost me something. I am a hobby picture taker my family looks to me to keep a photo record of any family events. I love taking pictures.

The NX30 is a camera that just about anyone can use the auto setting makes pictures come out looking like a pro took them. The color along with the white balance just make photos pop and come alive. the shutter speed and the continual auto focus impressed me beyond my wildest dream. This camera can and has taken 9 pics a second with no lockup. The buffer is big so you can just continue to shoot pic after pic.

The camera is light in your hands but for me it does not feel cheaply made. the EVF is bright colorful and responsive. It was very easy for me to adjust it so I can use it with out my glasses on. Battery life is great they say it is rated to take about 300 pics per charge. I have done some Panoramic pics with it and you would me amazed at how easy it is to do.

My next step is to get a telephoto lens and I am attending 2 NFL preseason football games I will be taking many pictures and I can not wait to see how the camera handles it.

If you LOVE taking pics and you want to move away from point and shoot but not run into the big heavy DSLR this is a camera you can grow with. This is a great camera.

UPDATE 08/13/2014
I have added the 50 to 200mm lens to the camera and I went to the first of 2 pre season football games. NY Giants Vs The Steelers. I had seats in the end zone which gave me the perfect view down the field. Now you may find this hard to believe I was able to take pictures of receivers down the field at the far end zone with no problem. The pictures were nice and clear very sharp. I have posted one of the pictures here of a ball being caught and yes it was taken from over 100 yards away. This camera was great to use I took almost 500 pictures at that game. I am still getting use to taking action shots. the camera performed with no problem at all.
review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2014
I started with my first camera being the Samsung NX1100 less than a year ago and found quite easy to handle the OS of that camera, the Samsung NX30 now varies a bit from the OS but it is so simple I just love it (I studied Computer Science and I can understand how simple things can be made for an end user).

I haven't really use the camera a 100% since I only like to shoot in Manual mode but it's got plenty of stuff to play with. It's pretty go in terms of social networking since it allows you to share your stuff on services like Picasa, Dropbox, Facebook and others. Its connectivity will even enable the camera to be controlled by an Android phone and with an app (BlueStacks) you may control it even from the computer, as well to share the pictures to multiple Android devices in a very simple way.

It is true that ISO above 3200 isn't going to give you a great color quality and I have noticed as well that when there are variances in high contrasts of brightness (say huge amount of light and dark and deep shadows of very close elements) the color is so washed I was disappointed when I reviewed a couple of pictures under this condition, but I believe the finish from another camera would not have been so different and I would rarely shoot under those conditions to get a great shot.

I am not a professional photographer at all by the time being but I am starting a Photography career to become one next January 2015, to start this new endevour I have decided I will only use Samsung cameras because of its different features and also well known Samsung is leader in technology developments. I don't know much yet about the digital camera world but I have seen Samsung shorten a huge distance from its competitors in this field quickly. You can see this by checking the NX1 camera which I almost purchased instead of this NX30, but I will check the next device model come better.

Another problem I have noticed -and forgot while shooting- is the problem and greenish color cast with legacy lenses. It's not big deal since it is simply fixed by partially unmounting the lens and locking it again while the camera is on.

About the features I love about this camera, I could name the shooting speed and focusing -still go manual because I like it more- but it's quite impressive how good it focuses even while the subject could be moving.

I still have a long-long way to walk with this camera and its features but I am just looking forward and eagerly to continue, I'm sure it will contribute to get the job done.

I am adding some pictures taking with it for which I have edited a bit temperature, contrast, clarity and minor things regarding color composition; we haven't had nice weather since I got the camera to shoot under clear sky conditions but only foggy weather -that I find it a bit challenging by the way-. -Only the pictures taken at the wind towers and at the tattoo exhibit were not modified at all.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2014
I am what you could call a beginner photographer. I have had "bridge" cameras for years, but found that I could never get out of "auto mode" with them. I made a conscious decision to do that and in doing so decided that I also wanted a camera with interchangeable lenses. After much research I decided on the Samsung NX30. However, the research took a LOT longer than I anticipated as even though this is a good selling camera in other countries, in America, not so much. So, finding reviews in English was a bit of a task.

So, after doing the research I was glad to see that Amazon had this camera at a great price point. The problem was that I don't make a lot of money, and as such even the $599 that Amazon was selling it for was still high for me. So, I saved and eventually got the camera. And I have to say that even though I was fully expecting a LOT of buyers remorse (that usually happens to me when I spend a lot of money on myself) I haven't had any.

But, on with the review. I'm not going to get into the technical points of the camera and the specs. Those can be found on this site and on numerous web sites. What I like about this camera (and I am certainly not an expert by any stretch) is it's ease of use.

I like how when I go through to change a setting the camera tells me what that change is, and what it will do. I like how the owners manual actually has a very large section explaining the importance of ISO, shutter speed, aperture...etc. I like how when I make changes I can see immediately the effect that they will have on the picture via the 3 inch screen on the back.

So, as I move away from "auto mode" this camera acts as a tutor in a couple of different ways. And personally, I like that hand holding. As a beginner I can recommend this camera to a beginner that wants to get out of auto, and I can see how it will continue to be a viable tool as I learn.
on November 12, 2014
Overall this is a really decent camera that can contend with the other DSLR's out there. One quick tip that has caused me a lot of grief- Out of the box the viewfinder was extremely blurry. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to sharpen it or if it was just like that. Samsung support was no help. One day I pulled the viewfinder out and noticed that the little wheel to sharpen the viewfinder focus was hiding on the side of the viewfinder. You can't see it and won't know it's there unless you pull out the viewfinder like a "periscope" which is one of the features of the camera. The viewfinder view doesn't look awesome on mirrorless camera but they are decent enough to do what you need. I couldn't find the wheel anywhere and is small enough to go unnoticed. Also, be cautious about the camera's ability to over-correct an image. It can smooth things to the point where it looks like a paint filter has been added in photoshop. Otherwise I look forward to mastering this camera more. However I think it's lame that a few months after I buy this camera the NX1 comes out. That's technology for ya!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 5, 2014
This is a real camera, capable of doing things that other cameras cannot do, and priced at a point that anything similar (competitors product) would be 2x the price.

To start with, its a very respectable 20Mega pixel, APS-C CMOS sensor delivers shots bursting with sharp detail and intense colours, whilst the fast 1/8000sec shutter speed, continuous shooting at 9 frames per second and hybrid autofocus. My Canons do 6 and 7ish. (d60)
GOOD -----
Fast and accurate focus
Great selection of lenses
Superb grip
Well built
Solid feel

Viewfinder with glasses could be better--sometimes hard to see

The unique pop-up electronic viewfinder has an XGA display with 2,359K-dot resolution and is tiltable, making it easier than ever to discover new perspectives. When you need a more a more creative angle for your shot, the 80-degree tilt means that all kinds of viewpoints are simple to achieve. With the ability to flip up and down 270 degrees and pivot 180 degrees horizontally, the NX30's 3.0" Super AMOLED Swivel and Touch Screen offers shooting flexibility for still images or video footage. NFC and Wi-Fi capabilities give you next-generation connectivity that lets you take full advantage of a host of convenient and creative resources, like unloading pics to computer, downloading pics and so on. I uploaded a pic, did some quick photo shop adjustments, and downloaded back to memory card. Its very slick.

Canon??? why didn't you put in a touch screen? This has amoled lcd like the high end samsung phones/tablets which is stunning, and its a touch screen. All the features necessary can be done via touch ---or by traditional tabbing through menus. Naturally it does 1080p video, x4, and more. This camera will be a game changer ---it has new lenses and as I get familar with them, I will edit the review.
on August 22, 2014
As a filmmaker/photographer who has used a variety of cameras and regularly produces content online, this camera is one of the best I have used! I actually came across this camera through Samsung's #DitchTheDSLR event that was host in Times Square a few months back and having spent sometime with this camera - it really does deliver in performance. One of my favorite things about the NX30 is its size. Together with the 30mm pancake lens (which I highly recommend if you pick up this camera) this camera just a little bit larger then your average point and shoot. Samsung may not immediately pop in your head when your looking to buy a camera but they are definitely making their presence known - the quality of the images/videos are stunning for a mirrorless camera. Check out the video review I posted along with this review, the majority of it is filmed with the NX30. (The video had to be compressed to upload within Amazon specs so it is not the highest-quality - for full HD please view on my website)

Although the NX lens line-up is fairly limited, they do have some incredibly sharp ones that will make this camera ten times better then it is with the kit lens. Feature-wise, I absolutely love the 1920x810 cine mode to shoot videos with. As mentioned, I work a lot with filming videos and such so this definitely a very unique feature I enjoy. The LCD Touch Screen is extremely sharp and very responsive just like something you would find on a smartphone...very high quality. Once you get used to navigating the menu system, the NX30 is a breeze to pick up and shoot with it. It does have a little bit of a learning curve to get used to, although it is very user-friendly.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the NX30 if you are looking to upgrade from a DSLR or pick up a brand new camera. Although, Canon and Nikon have established their names in the photography industry...Samsung is definitely one you should NOT over look!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What makes the Samsung NX-30 unique, if you didn't know already, is that it is a mirrorless camera. In the NX-30's price range are mid-range DSLR cameras (the ubiquitous interchangeable lenses, beefy 'shelf candy' that you see in many electronics stores, like the T5i and Nikon varities)that use a mirror to redirect light to a sensor. The NX-30 does not use a mirror and instead directs the light directly to the sensor. You will notice this immediately when using the viewfinder (where you put your eye to view the image before you 'snap' the picture).

Below will be more detail on how this camera compares to the traditional DSLR cameras. To save you time reading, the short version is that the NX30 is, in general, a better buy when comparing to the DSLR cameras at or below the 1,000$ mark, for it offers a better value through high ISO capability, fast shutter speeds, and steady video at 60fps 1080p.

Around 16 ounces in weight (or 453g) which, for a mirrorless camera, is a little high however, the extra weight makes the camera feel more solid and sturdy. If you are a tripod shooter, the slightly higher weight will offer more fluid movement. If you are shooting by hand for long periods of time then this will tire your arms a little more than average. In contrast, the Nikon D5300 is 480g (17 ounces) body only. Comparing size to a DSLR, this will be smaller than any of them.

[---Picture Quality---]

8.5/10 (Taken in .RAW and High JPEG formats)

Vs Nikon D5300 - Hard to 'really' tell a difference, however, the NX30's colors pop a little more. This is definitely the case when using the Auto shooting function (I do not use this option much, however, the NX30 is exceptional at Auto).

Vs Canon T5i - Roughly same as above. The fact that they are hard to compare tells you that the NX30 compares quite well to them.

High-light shooting (low ISO) - 9/10

The NX30 does very, very well at capturing subjects under direct sunlight. The only hint of blurriness, or loss of detail, is at maximum blow up. Even then, it is extremely hard to find any hints of blurry. Needless to say, it will not be an issue. Using Auto, there is some slight overexposure in about 3% of the images i.e. at 1 or 2 spots on the overall shot. Moreover, a blue sky, which is subject to washout the majority of the time, is fairly accurately displayed. Impressive to say the least.

Low-Light (high ISO, 3000+) - 8/10

Retains colors organically and does not go to dark on shadowed subjects very much. The strongpoint is in dim-light subjects. The NX30 captures that subtle 'glow' that comes with low light while allowing the subject to still standout. I had a better experience with low-light shooting on the NX30 than the DSLR varieties I have used.

[---Video Capture---]

Daylight - 8/10
Night - 9/10

Firstly, one of the few cameras, especially when among DSLRs, that can maintain a solid 60fps at 1080p. Focusing maintains clarity during environments with multiple subjects that are fast moving. Clear and vivid video during daylight. What will surprise you is night shooting. It is simply amazing. Colors pop and darkness is dark where it should be. Night-time video shooting feels like you are capturing night-life how we view it ourselves. Comparing to a couple of prosumer camcorders that are 2,000$+, the NX30 beats them.

One of the downsides to mirrorless cameras is focusing. They use Contrast Detection Autofocus versus Phase Detection (for DSLRs) which can often be slower. Fortunately with the NX30, there is no noticeable lag with focusing. It is just as fast as DSLRs. What the NX30 does that DSLRs will not is that you can view, in real-time, what image is about to be captured by the very big LCD screen and you can 'tap' subjects to focus on them (like smartphones, except to a much more professional level). Needless to say, no downside with focusing here.

[---Fast Capture---]

Not much to say other than you can take fast action very well. The NX30 does 9 frames per second at maximum.

The main drawback, of course, with mirrorless cameras is the viewfinder. As mentioned above, DSLRs use light to reflect into the viewfinder and when you 'shoot' the picture you hear the click of the shutter throwing the image to the sensor. What this means is that when you are looking into the viewfinder, it is real-time and instant. The mirrorless cameras uses an 'interpretation' of the image that light is 'painting' in the sensor. There is a transmission of information from the sensor to the viewfinder. This means a delay between transferred information--called refresh rate. What this means is that the image in the viewfinder is not in real-time and comes with a noticeable delay. The NX30 does have a slightly slowed viewfinder, however it is not enough to really interfere with shooting however if you have never used a mirrorless camera before, you will notice.

[---Sensor Size---]

Although I do not have much experience with the other mirrorless cameras out there, here are the numbers for the size of the 'sensor' for the NX30 and its competitors.

Larger number equals better picture quality in most cases.

Canon 70D: 338 Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF (Body Only)
Samsung NX30: 369)
Nikon 1 V3: 117 (Nikon 1 V3 Digital Camera with 1 NIKKOR 10-30mm PD-Zoom Lens

The benefits of the NX30 are the size (which is smaller than DSLRs), the quality (equal to or better than its DSLR competitors), the price (lower than cameras in the same class), and video capture. If you are solely a DSLR shooter, this NX30 may be the best option for you if want the best mid-range camera (less than 1,000$).