on April 26, 2014
Received my Canon D30 on 04/25/2014. These will be my impressions after about 3 months of weekend use. I have taken the camera underwater on many occasions, and had the camera underwater for several hours in saltwater while snorkeling and on various trips to the beach. No issues. The seals seem to perform very well. Just remember to rinse the camera off in fresh water after being in salt water. If you forget to do so, the buttons will have a "Crusty" feel at your next use.

I started a Flickr Group for photos taken with this camera- Go to Flickr --> Groups --> Search Groups --> Canon PowerShot D30. (Amazon will not allow me to post the link??) I posted some photos of the camera itself, as well as a demonstration of the "Sunlight LCD Mode" Scroll all the way to the bottom of the group to see these.

Impression is 4-Star.

It is impossible to compare this camera to a DSLR/SLT, so I will evaluate it on what it is- a point and shoot that you can take into the water, and can take a little punishment.

The build quality is very good, and the camera feels solid in my hand. The body is made of a nice composite material, and the rubber grips seem tacky enough to hold on to in cold/wet conditions.

The buttons are well positioned, and the menus are intuitive.

The power up is lightning fast. It takes about one second from pushing the power button until you can take a shot.

"Turnaround" time between shots is rather slow, in my opinion, however, I improved this slightly by turning OFF the preview function.

High ISO performance is typical of a point and shoot with a lot of noise.

Shooting underwater is a ton of fun. The shots are fun to look at, but it is more luck than skill as to whether you will get a keeper shot or not, particularly with kids swimming, etc. It is difficult to frame a shot underwater without the use of a snorkel mask or goggles. Make sure to switch the camera over to the underwater modes, or else the camera may struggle to find an apropriate shooting mode.

I've taken several underwater videos with good results. There is an intermittent "clicking" noise as the focus adjusts. The mic is OK. On the plus side, the buffering at the end of a 3.5 minute video only takes about 2 seconds.

Battery life is good. I have taken 250 still shots, about 5 minutes of video, kept the camera on for quite a while between shots, reviewed a lot of photos, and the indicator finally dropped to 2/3 charge. I typically keep the GPS off, but I have noticed that the battery drains significantly faster with the GPS enabled.

The reason I waited for, and paid more for this camera than the competition or the D20 was the "Sunlight LCD Mode" We live in Florida, and I do a lot of shooting at the beach/pool, and in heavy sun. I have never had an LCD screen that can be clearly seen in the sun. The Sunlight LCD Mode must be activated in the settings menu- It is not turned on from the factory. Once activated, it remains on the next time you power the camera up. In my opinion, this camera performs 25% better than most LCD's in the sunlight. Not perfect, not ideal, but noticeably better than anything I have experienced to date. I found the LCD to be readable and viewable in strong sun, with sunglasses on, so I will say that it is a true "Pro" of this camera.

Overall, this is a fun camera to take to the beach, pool, or snorkeling. The image quality will never compete with a DSLR or even most "Point and shoots" due to the lens cover. The features are more akin to what you would find on a smart phone app than a "real" camera, but good luck taking any of those things into the water with you!!!

Take Care...TJ
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2014
I own the predecessor to the Canon D30; the D20. I love it! Good image quality (IQ) for a waterproof camera (Sorry, IQ really is relative as non-waterproof point-and-shoot (PNS) cameras at this price point have far better IQ). My D20 handles continuous bouncing in my front pocket while trail running with no problems yet after about 6 months of solid use. 50 to 100+ miles of bouncing in my front pocket or backpack so far. I love the Color Swap effect mode as well. I have not submerged it yet but it has been rained on many times without incident.

So this brings me to the D30. I cannot find anything different with it other than the case (and modest button layout change) and depth rating from the D20. They both have in common:

12.1MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
Shutter Range 15sec-1/1600sec
1.9fps maximum frame advance
NB-6L battery
And on and on...

I honestly believe that the D30 is the same camera as the D20 in a different case. And I have to admit, I can't stand the D20's case as it's got a very awkward shape and it is very slippery. I literally smeared Shoe Goo all over the front and sides of it for grip. My girlfriend HATES the way it looks now but has to admit it solved the slip problem. The D30 addresses the slipperiness of the D20 with an actual finger grip on the front. Plus the D30 has a totally different depth rating of 82 feet, which is 49 feet deeper than the D20's 33 feet. This is something that really interests me as I had a Lumix TS3 fatally leak at literally under 8 INCHES submersion shooting video in a koi pond while being rated for 40 feet. Depth ratings are lies and all I need is a genuine, no-excuses-never-ever-fail-for-any-reason depth rating of 10 feet. I figure an 82 foot rating should genuinely provide 10+ feet.

So aside from drastically improved depth rating and case design, can anyone verify any differences between the D20 and D30? Thanks! :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2014
This camera took great pictures and video. It was fast and had a nice large viewer that worked well in daylight and underwater. We really liked this camera. But, after a couple of days of relatively light use in pools and the ocean, it leaked and broke. Water got in through the USB/HDMI hatch and was visible behind the lens. The camera was never deeper than 5 feet in the water and the USB/HDMI hatch wasn't ajar and it wasn't opened underwater. After the camera dried out, it just displayed an error when you try to power it up "Lens error..."

Canon offered to repair it (but not replace it). However, as always, Amazon was great about it and refunded our money since we were within the return window.

I'm hopeful, we just had a lemon since I liked everything else about the D30 and would consider buying it again. But, I'm going to keep an eye on these comments for the next couple of months to see if others have similar issues before hitting the "Add to Cart" button.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2014
I took this little baby for some rides down to the coral reef and it exceeded my expectations: AWESOME.

PROS:
1.- 82 feet deep (...and maybe more) without bulky cases? Cool!
2.- Made for diving: Compact, good grip, easy one-hand operation even with gloves, dedicated video button, etc. A diver's dream.
3.- The subaquatic mode (software filter) really WORKS! Kudos Canon, colours pop out as if the camera had a strobe attached; most of my underwater pictures were GREAT without any tweaks, just point that turtle and shoot.
4.- Long battery life. I charged mine after six dives just to make sure, but it may have lasted longer.
5.- Great underwater video too: full HD with autofocus.

CONS:
1.- Bigger than my previous cameras.
I had a thin and small Sony TX30 but it died at 90 ft (OK, it was rated for 33 ft, my fault). Anyway all my buddies have cameras WITH cases, they all look like huge daguerrotypes when compared to this Canon D30 :p so I can't complaint.
I've also used a GoPro, it was smaller too, but it had no LCD screen, battery lasted 1 or 2 dives only, and photos were not good at all. Anyway this camera makes better video IMO than the GoPro, down there in the deep.

I guess all the 1 or 2 star reviews are from non-divers expecting DSLR quality in dry land. If you dive look no further: this little wet bottom camera is for you. The best diver's camera for ~$300.
on December 5, 2014
I purchased this camera for diving to replace an Olympus TG1 (35ft depth rating) for which I have a waterproof case; I wanted something without the case as I find the Olympus impossible to use within the case. The Canon not only has a depth rating adequate for all my dives (to date) but also has an interface which is much much better than the Olympus. It is incredibly easy to use both above and under water, a true point and shoot.

I've completed six dives with the camera now, the deepest to 85ft (so slightly over the depth rating) and have had no problems. I had to swap out the battery on the boat between two dives because I wanted to see how long it would last. The swap was easy to accomplish without danger of water entering the battery compartment because the compartment has a simple positive latch. The battery life was also excellent - one charge from purchase date through three dives until the battery indicator started flashing on the fourth. The battery lasted through that dive, so that's between 3 and 4 hours continuous use (the LCD was on pretty much the whole of each dive) or longer over a couple of weeks after the initial charge.

The underwater mode works reasonably well and corrects dive pictures accurately to human vision. I feel that the mode should actually correct more, so that the pictures have the colours that they *would* have at the surface - so they look less blue than human vision makes the scene at depth - but this is actually outside the scope, and science, of colour correction and is more an artistic choice. It's certainly valid and scientifically correct to do what Canon do and further, artistic, correction can be done with image processing software.

By chance another diver at this resort also has a D30 and his pictures, like mine, are really great illustrations of how a good, modern, point and shoot can allow divers to take great shots of dives without complex equipment and lights. One particular advantage of the Canon is the ease of intermingling movies and pictures - it just works; press the relevant button and you have what you want.

Now a couple of disadvantages:

1) No bluetooth connectivity to transfer photos to other devices (so there's no photo attached to this review because I left my iPad to USB to MicroUSB card reader donglemess in the hotel room.)
2) No Micro USB in-camera charging, indeed, no in-camera charge at all. So I had to charge the other guy's battery last night because he left his charger at home.

The Olympus TG1 came close, but this really is the first camera I've owned in 45+ years of amateur photography that makes me feel that it is easy to take a photograph.
on November 23, 2014
I have found myself using my D-30 almost exclusively on our last few dive trips. The photos are excellent and I find the underwater color filter setting pretty accurate at depth. If you white balance at depth the colors are spot on. I have a Canon S95 I use in an $800 aluminum underwater housing with strobes and wide angle lens for scuba diving. I also had canons first model the D10. I forgot it in my BC pocket and took it to 50 ft and toasted it. I also have the D20 which can go to about 40 ft. It was ok but only for shallow dives. The D30's ability to go to 80+ feet without an external case is a game changer. It is very compact and i find myself using it instead of my more bulky, heavy and expensive S95 setup. The video is excellent as well. i am going to recommend this camera to my dive club for anyone wanting to get into underwater photography.
on August 2, 2014
I took this camera along with a video camera and canon sx700 still camera to hawaii. Though the other cameras had better zoom, the D30 quickly became my primary camera. My family and I have made several trips there. In years past I took very small powershot camera's with water housings that were big and bulky. One morning I slipped and cracked the water housing for my camera. A year later I dropped the camera and it ceased working. The damage from the drop was so severe It wasn't worth servicing. So when I saw that this one was waterproof to 80ft, shockproof from 6 feet and integrated GPS into the photo's, it was a done deal. Excellent build quality. I did drop it (I almost freaked), it was only 2 feet, but it still kept on humming along. When I got the pictures onto my iPhone (via computer) the locations showed up on the map. It was awesome! Tons of snorkeling, scuba diving (32feet), and rain. Not one problem.
on August 19, 2014
We bought this camera because we were taking a trip to Australia and snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef so decided to spend the extra money and get a really good Underwater camera. The pictures and videos worked well until we went Snorkeling at the reef. I took 8 pictures no deeper than about 3 to 4 ft ( arms length from surface) then the screen went blank. Light showed on but the screen was blank so couldn't see menu or tell if picture was taking or see if we're taking a picture. Sooo very, very upset! Chance of a lifetime to snorkel the reef and camera breaks right away. Got home, pictures on ss card from underwater all were good. Talked to Canon would only repair, not replace or give money back. Amazon gve money back even though we were outside of 30 day return window. Thank you Amazon!! So if you want a decent camera for dry land thus camera appeared to be fine, but DON'T buy it if you want pictures underwater while snorkeling! Sorry for typos but this window doesn't let me use my touch screen and go back to correct them.
on November 3, 2014
Works exactly as described!! We took this camera diving with us in the Caribbean over the summer and accidentally took it down to 102 feet!! No issues whatsoever. The battery lasts a pretty long time and the pictures and videos came out great - excellent color correction!! Worked very well for snorkeling too. A good value for what it is.
on August 4, 2014
So far to date, I've only used this camera on my recent vacation to the Caribbean. We took it snorkeling, wreck diving, hiking, and horseback riding. Rugged enough that it didn't break after all of that... Only complaint was after a full day of use the day prior, my husband took it diving the next morning without changing the battery and it died during the dive. The battery indicator said "full battery" before he left for the dive excursion (which is why he didn't change the battery), but then indicated "low battery" after 2 underwater shots and then died after the 3rd shot. Boooo. Oh well, we should have changed it out before he left, but trusted the camera's battery indicator instead. Don't make the same mistake! Other than the users abandoning common sense with regards to battery life on point and shoot digital cameras, this is a great camera! I used it when I went snorkeling everyday and it took some better than expected photos, even using zoom function. You must turn the Underwater feature ON when using it underwater, otherwise you'll loose a lot of colors and clarity.