Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Style Name: 60 S|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on April 13, 2014
UPDATE AUGUST 5th 2014:

Here comes my 2nd part of the review after almost 4 months of heavy usage in California, the East Coast (NY, NJ, PA), Germany and Hawaii:

Overall Judgement: this GPS is a paradigm shift from routing towards Live routing. HD traffic makes the difference - in comparison to "older" versions of tomtom, I only used the device, when I was using it for unknown destinations. Now, I use it almost everyday, because of the accurate traffic information.

The positives I mentioned in my earlier report remain unchanged. Here some updates, which I haven't touched before, and I got some questions:

+ First of all, I should mention, that Tomtom responded to many complaints with SW updates during May and June. The biggest issue for me was constant crashing, where I almost wrote a very negative review, but was informed in the forum of the SW update. Since than back in May ... No issues. Thanks for listening to customers.
+ With the SW fix, tomtom also responded to the desired option of alternative route (very good solution, as in this new version, it gives you 1-3 options with total times and comparison with original route), you have some additional colors to choose and you can also mark a waypoint directly on the map (and can come back eventually later to it)
+ the mounting device and the suction has been in heavy use as I take it with me in rental cars, no issues, works like a charm. Direct sunshine exposure and Heat are no issue at all. (If you want to be very picky, I should mention, that plugging in the cable on the back, can be a challenge, as you would need to unmount the device to get it right). thumbs up - Best solution found!
+ HD traffic and iPhone app works great, in the new version, tomtom connects and starts automatically the app. I would say that in urban areas the correctness of the traffic alerts ~99% and in rural areas 80%. I'm using tomtom now 95% of the times I'm driving - yes, it is that useful.
+ I bought the European map. For this I had to use a micro SD card (8GB). Plugged it in, bought the map, downloaded it, installed it and .... It worked ... Flawless. Also 3D is very nice to observe, when you drive through major cities.
+ Here again, what I really enjoy, when I landed in Frankfurt, Germany and got into my rental car - it takes you 2 sec. until you get the GPS signal, same in New York or in Hawaii. (Back in 2006 with my 650,- USD tomtom (GO910) I had to wait 10-15 minutes for signal reception ...)

So, the question: why not 5 stars?

Here my answer:
- my biggest issue: HD traffic doesn't work in Europe. I can see the traffic alerts on the app on the iPhone in theEuropean countries in all details, BUT it doesn't pass the information along to the device - so, what I really loved in that device is useless in Europe and in theory could be passed on to the device, as the traffic information is right there on tomtom's my drive app on your phone. RDS could have been an alternative option ...
- The application you have to use for your desktop PC is not transparent (i'm using win7 with chrome as browser - no fancy IT extras). Sometimes you click the icon and it doesn't start and there it is on the quick menu and it starts, it depends on the day .... Also, it never tells you what is happening right now, most of the time it gives you advise on new downloads, but downloading and installing is a different animal, which can take hours. What I do is quit energy savings on the PC and let it do the job for 3-4 hours without touching the PC ... This normally works. The older desktop solution, was better in managing your device.
- Personal POI: this is an issue for lots of users. My advise, as several times it had been heard to use favorites - but you need to scroll a lot until you find what you want. My proposal would be to have categories under favorites, which you can edit from your desktop device and where you can add your personal destinations from your desktop.

Overall I can recommend highly this device. It is a real pleasure to use!

---------------

I bought the tomtom go 50S 5 days ago (not on amazon, as I wanted it really quick and I went to a local competitor) - and I have to say that I'm quite impressed (I'm a tomtom customer I had : GO 910, 920 and 540 XXL WTE and I liked the systems for their rock solid and easy performance) . The reasons, why I stick with a PND like tomtom and I'm not going over to my iPhone: if you are in areas without cell coverage (e.g. Yosemite, Point Reyes, or Nevada ...) you really appreciate a PND. Besides - I prefer to have my phone available.

So why did I buy it, having a tomtom 540 XXL WTE, which works well and has Lifetime Map updates for Northamerica:
- I was attrackted by the traffic functionality
- The new UI (yes and 3D ...)
- And I was hoping to get faster route calculations and rerouting and smoother graphic flow (after having seen the navigation on an iphone)

So here are the positives:
+ Traffic: I downloaded the app on my iPhone to get the instant traffic (living in the San Francisco Bay area it is a must) and it connected instantly like a breeze and showed all the trafiic issues- not only freeways/highways also streets in the city - and after 5 days it never failed - this really impressed me, as I expected glitches in the communication between iphone and the tomtom device - no problems for now - Thumbs up!!!
+ UI: Ok. If you are used to the traditional Tomtom it is a question of taste, if you would like it - I like it very much, especially the combined POI and street search - works fast and smooth - uncluddered
+ Graphics: Smooth! 3D available only in the bigger urban areas e.g. San Francisco or Oakland. Rerouting - very fast
+ GPS reception: Thanks to the connection with the phone - you turn the system on , and it has instant signal - it tranfers the GPS fix- it hasn't failed for now (in the past I was used to wait between 10 sec - 2 minutes until I got the signal) - I'm impressed!
+ Parking POI available on the menu - I also like this feature, as, let's say when you drive to a movie theatre, you don't park your car right in front of the main entrance - you look for a close parking. Also great. And really great: Car rental Parking POI for airports (Yeah!!!)
+ For Ex-Garmin users: I read from Ex-Garmin switchers to Tomtom, that the feature they most missed, was the missing indication, on which side of the street, the destination is lying. Now, you get 2 announcments over the speaker and you see a jumping icon on the left/right side of the street. Great fix.
+ Voice quality - very clear, crisp and loud - real improvement over the past editions
+ Visual Routing: you can clearly distinguish your route with side streets - also a positive improvement
+ You can add stops on your current route - very easily
+ You start your car - Tomtom starts (as long as it's plugged in) - Standbye feature is also very handy

Now, you might be wondering, why not 5 stars. Here are my observations for improvement - and I will review my rating in a couple of months:
- It is unclear on Amazon and on the tomtom homepage, what the difference is between the 50 and the 500. I also downloaded the manual with ~90 pages and even there it wasn't really clear. What I found out, that the 50S doesn't have the integrated chip and you need a smartphone (Android/iPhone) to use the Traffic functionality. What I also found out in addition - also not clearly said: The Voice recognition is NOT available on the Go 50 S. I would suggest to tomtom, to make that clearer on their homepage or introduce a compare menu in order to see what the real differences are between the systems.
- My Drive: Well, this created some nervous moments on day one: 2:30 hours to download the newest map and map share. Download done. But then ... system freezed and the device told me, that no map was installed. I rebooted and learned after restarting mydrive, that the map was installing ... 50 minutes later it was almost installed. System error and I should contact support ... For whatever reason I retried and this time it worked, the map got installed, and I drove the next w/o any issues ... mydrive is not really transparent and you have to search it on your computer and you really don't know, what the system is doing at which moment - tomtom home (former edition of desktop application) gave real transparency - also no options on mydrive to change appareance, icons, greeting screen, etc.. I beleive this is fixable and tomtom will improve the experience over the next months
- POI transfer: Yes ... for now, you cannot transfer your personal POI's. In the old tomtom world a neat feature, as for example I created POI categories like in my case - I'm working for a multinational corporation and as I'm traveling a lot, I could create a catgory just filling in all the important office addresses - or a POI category for my vacation in Germany - with all places to visit. I believe it will be also fixable ...
- WTE - I owned in the past the word traveler editions, as I'm in Europe 6-9 times a year and I depend on a rental car and prefer to have my Tomtom with me - this time there is no WTE and there are no European Lifetime Maps - Sure you can buy a map on the tomtom store with a certain version of the map - but maybe I will be the same model in Germany and would get the Lifetime Maps for Europe ... maybe tomtom will do something about it and you can buy any map with lifetime updates ... for the moment I will continue to use my good old 540 XXL WTE, when I travel overseas
- Small issue - the option "calculate alternative route" dissapeared - it was a nice feature
- Battery life: 2 hours indicated - depending on your use: 60-90 minutes ...

Side comment: It is NOT a retina display, but you also don't need it - as you are not having it as close as a smart phone.

Conclusion: A very nice GPS, intuitive, fast grapics, smooth routing, clear voice, fast GPS signal reception and real time real traffic. I can only recommend it and would buy it again.

I will post any updates over the next weeks/months.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Fernando, thank you for the highly detailed review, we appreciate the feedback and it has been shared with the product team.

I'd like to help distinguish the difference between the GO 50S and the GO 500. Both models require a smartphone connection to receive Live Traffic. The main difference is between the types of touch screen. The 50S has a resistive touch screen while the 500 has a capacitive touch screen which is typically used on modern smartphones.

You are correct about the maps for travel purposes on this device. The Lifetime guarantee is for the maps that are already on the GO at purchase. A separate device for when you travel to Europe would be ideal as it would allow you access the Live Traffic in that location.

Lastly, we will be updating the GO series with new features in the future and user feedback will be factored into the decisions.

Update: 06-27-14: Version 13.057

We are happy to announce our latest software update V. 13.057. Please connect your devices to MyDrive to get the latest features which include:
- Alternative route planning
After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Share changes to the map.
It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.
on April 29, 2014
If this model is the direction TomTom is heading in, I'm expecting that the next thing coming out in a GPS system will be a paper map and a hand held compass.

I work for a medical transportation company, and have been using a five year old Tomtom, 5 days a week, for a minimum of 8 hours a day, for one year that I've been doing this job. I probably use it for an average of 24 trips PER DAY. I couldn't do my job without it. I realize that it is not a commercial model but it has performed very well, with just a few glitches that are not even worth mentioning. It has worked flawlessly about 99.9 percent of the time.

Unfortunately, a few months ago the unit started to slowly lose it's screen calibration, and certain keys were harder and harder to engage on the screen. It finally got to the point where some major keys were not functioning at all, but there were so many options to get to different menu’s, that I was able to continue to use it.

I finally decided to upgrade to a new model. I decided on the GO 50s, because it was touted as a completely re engineered piece of equipment.

I received the unit yesterday, and took it to work today. To say that I was greatly disappointed would be an understatement. This unit comes across as a streamlined, highly functional unit, but what it actually is, is a watered down, mess.

It seems that the engineers who designed this decided that what is good enough for them, will be good enough for everyone. While my old Tomtom gave me the option to customize the colors on screen, so that I could make the road that I was driving on stand out, and the color of the vehicle icon a nice contrast against the road, this updated model comes with one washed out option. A blue road, with a aqua or ligther blue arrow for the vehicle icon.
On the old model the 3D option was like looking down the road and seeing the road ahead in 3D. On the new model, the 3D looks almost like the 2D on the old model.

I could write pages of negatives on this new model. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the new design team (surely the old team is gone) decided to “fix” everything that was already very good on the older TomToms, just to see what the heck they were thinking, and perhaps ask them if they actually use a GPS to do real time driving.

The routing menu on the new model takes considerably more effort to find the address that I'm looking for, while on the old one it was almost instant, especially if the computer recognized some of the places that I have traveled to previously.

Almost nothing remains of the old menu options that so greatly simplified the old TomTom.

As I was using this new model today, I got more and more frustrated with it, and after about six hours, I decided that enough was enough, took it down, put it away, and brought out the old TomTom, that I brought with me “Just in case.”

In short, my experience with the GO 50s vs. The five year old model that I have, is like giving up a Plasma, High definition Television, for a newly engineered and improved TV, only to find that when you plug in the new and improved(?) gadget and watch it, you find yourself in front of a black and white model from 1942.
1515 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Gabor, I'm sorry to read that the GO did not meet your expectations. We have been constantly monitoring reviews and sharing the feedback with the product team and will continue to do so. The feedback will be useful in decisions regarding which features to bring in future updates.

I wanted to also ask a bit further about one of your comments. You said that the it takes you longer to find addresses? Do you use the Quick Search function of the device that's accessible through the menu? We've made it possible to search with addresses and POIs appearing side by side just by free typing any part of the address you're looking for. Previously whenever you had to search you would first be required to enter State and City and only then the street name and number. You can also add locations to MyPlaces by tapping them on the map, clicking the three dots and selecting to add them. You can then easily navigate to frequent locations.

on April 24, 2014
This is a new tomtom model that was released in april 2014 (by my understanding). As a result, TomTom may update the core software concerning the things that many people do not like. This is especially true if you are a previous TomTom owner.

This device lets you connect your smartphone via bluetooth to the GPS which allows you to get tomtoms HD traffic for free. This is a plus. I'm a delivery driver and I have to drive between the US and Canada, so getting traffic in both countries for me is a necessity.

This will still get you to your destination with all the common features of a gps such as lane guidance, etc.

You can point on an area of the map and hit go and the GPS will take you there. That's pretty good.

It allows you to make a multi-stop route and save it. This is good too, but getting it set up and adding the stops can be confusing and a pain.

The whole user interface has been redesigned and looks better in some aspects and in others looks worse.

In a work van, with the GPS mounted on the dashboard, the volume is too low. If you mount it on the windshield it makes the volume louder.

If you want a GPS to get you from A to B with high quality traffic avoidance, this will provide that.

Now for the issues:
TomTom has removed the following:
1. Minimize (traffic) delays button. This was to force tomtom to verify you are on the fastest route.

2. Avoid roadblock. This was to force the gps to give you an alternate route in case you came upon traffic that it didn't know about, or there was construction, or a road closure, etc....

3. Avoid part of route. If you wanted to avoid a certain instruction on your route, you could do this and the gps would give you an alternate route.

4. Change map colors. The map colors on this tomtom, the arrows are the same color as the road. I don't like it.

Will TomTom fix these in a future update ? Let's hope so.

TomTom has added the following (the ones that people don't like)

1. On the traffic bar, you see an icon for any gas station close to you. You'd be able to tap it and the gps would take you there. This is all well and good but there isn't an option to turn this off. Who wants to see the gas station icon on your trip all the time ? I surely don't.
A. You can't choose a POI to be notified of. If I wanted to be notified of rest stops or hospitals along my route, i can't choose to have that shown. This isn't good. What if you are in an unknown area and want to know where the nearest hospital is ?

2. The advanced lane guidance arrows are present but it is like they put them too close together and it looks cluttered.

3. If there is an alternate route that will save at least one minute, it will reroute you. (this is good....)

3. It shows you the current road you are on. This clutters up my map. I know some may want it, but how come there isn't an option to turn this off ?

I did buy one but took it back for a refund. Since this is a new product, i think i'll give tomtom a chance and hope they provide an update for these issues.
Even though there is alot I don't like about this GPS, it will at least provide me with HD traffic / rerouting. That's really what I need at the core.

I would suggest you go to best buy and get one to try it out. They have a 15 day return policy... so if you don't like it you can take it back.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Freeline Skater, I'm sorry to read that the GO 60S did not meet your expectations. I will be sharing your review with the product team. We will continue to add features through future updates.

Can you please clarify what you mean by minimum delays? On the GO you can choose from shortest, fastest, eco-friendly and other type of routes. The fastest route is the one with the minimum delays. You can set your device to always choose the fastest route. To do so, go to settings, then route planning and make your selection.

on April 9, 2014
This product look amazing on paper, that is until you open it. First it is missing some very basic functionality like a compass, and the ability to lock in a default city. The onscreen buttons have been shrunken and usually get in the way. The touch screen is mostly non responsive and has to be tapped numerous times to enter a command. The UI has been dumbed down from previous generations so much so that it almost makes this device not useable. The 3d maps are neat, and so is the live traffic. These features however do not make up for the lack of build quality and the lack of thought put into the new UI and it's sluggishness. Tomtom has forgotten who its' customers are and instead of improving on it's rock solid performance of the past have created a gps that will get you to the grocery store 1.2 miles from your home that you drive past every day anyways. I will be returning this unit immediately
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello clark2298, I'm sorry to read that the GO 50S did not meet your expectations and that you have decided to return it. I will be sharing your feedback with our product team as it will be used to develop and implement new features for future updates.
on December 29, 2014
Don't belive the negative reviews! This is a fantastic GPS unit at a great price!!! Most of the negativity stems from the fact that the changed the Tomtom operating system. Let me say I owned a older Tomtom and the new OS is FAR superior to the older system. People sometimes just don't like change! Anyway once you take the time to learn how to use it you will love it. First the way you enter in addresses and points of interest is much easier....very similar to a smart phone and once you understand that you just get it! The sleep mode is great! The unit turns on when I start the car and turns off when I turn it off. Being in sales this is fantastic! No need for "powering up" now it's just walways on. The display is very nice although if I had one complaint it would be that it is not the same one that is on the smaller GO 50s. That one is glass covered much like your smartphone and looks much more premium. But the display on the 60s is big and has good resolution. The complaints about the icons, letters and graphics being too small just didn't take the time to learn how to navigate the OS! It can be adjusted to make them larger! Simple! Anyway...the guide bar on the right is very nice as it gives you your place on the route at a single glance. The refresh rate is very nice compared to my older Tomtom. The processor is very fast and the roads steam by nice and smooth! The gas station info is shown on the side bar as is any traffic or construction info. If the GPS detects traffic jams it offers a different route for you to take. One touch and it reroutes you...nice! Some people don't like the fact you have to pair it to your smartphone to get the traffic info....well I have and iPhone 6 Plus and it works just fine! It was simple to hook up. Just download the app....turn on sharing on the GPS and make sure you have Bluetooth on and it pairs it up. Now while this will count against your data plan the usage is very small. I don't see the problem with the need for the traffic info being provided by pairing the unit with the smartphone? The fact that this gives you free traffic updates for life is fantastic! If you don't like it...buy a much more expensive unit or pay for the service yearly. In closing I highly recommend this GPS! It works very well and has many nice features for the price point! If you want a solid GPS with a very nice and modern OS for a good price....this is the one for you! If you prefer more features.....buy a unit that costs more. But for me....the balance of cost and performance made this a no brainier!
on May 22, 2014
This all starts and ends with the screen.

Successfully pushing on the screen in order to select numbers, letters and options is essential to the working of a gps. Unfortunately TomTom failed miserably with this function on the 60. Entering an address can be a nightmare. The screen gives feedback by turning blue indicating you have correctly chosen the number or letter. Well I'm here to tell you that is often not true. The blue feedback shows many times and nothing happens or the screen rolls up or down - better yet another option altogether may be chosen.

Given this input nightmare after finally getting an address chosen it takes several pushes to actually continue and begin routing adding to the difficulty of general use. This reflects on the interface itself something that TT has touted though I can't say why.

When searching for an address there is no rhyme or reason as to why the results come up in the order they do. The first results are often very far away while down the list may be in the city you are searching from. You can restrict results to a 50 mile radius but that doesn't affect the illogical order in results.

The screen colors are all washed up from the start. It seems like you are using a worn out unit but that is as intended.

I've been a TomTom user and enthusiast since 2003. While their traffic data is the best available others are much closer now and they design their units to work on planet earth. I'm not sure who TomTom's are designed for anymore.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Jim D, thank you for the review. I'm sorry to read that the GO has not met your expectations. I will be sharing your review internally with the product team. We will continue improving the features and functionality of the device.

Regarding the search while you enter your address it may seem to be random, however, when the search is done the list should be ordered by proximity to where you are. If this is not the case then please reach out to us via our direct line 866 486 6866 or the following page: http://bit.ly/Jn4Fjv. Our agents will assist you.

on August 7, 2015
I like it better now that I have the display "feature" figured out (from other users posts on a TomTom forum). NOT in the product info, but the supplied USB power cord (for charging and data transfer) puts the display in a reduced brightness setting which makes it hard to see the display during the day, dimmer than when running on just internal battery.

To correct this, use a different USB cable that only keeps the battery charged and is NOT for data transfer. I had several ones available, but only 2 out of 6 cords kept the display bright.
on March 16, 2015
the large screen is great, but the suction cup/rolling ball on the back of the device it comes with is crap......hard to get on and off when entering in a new address, and you have to end up taking the whole suction cup off the window just to get the two pieces back together.
also, we are coming across a lot of addresses that aren't in the gps so having to use my phone (note 3) as a back up..... :(
also, the maps have many times stated the destination should be on the left when its actually on the right or two streets over, etc.....they need to update or fix that!
if it wasn't for the hassle of my phone's battery dying so quickly when i have my gps on, i would have stuck with my phone hands down!
Hi jennifer scott,

I apologize for the overall experience.

It would be very appreciated, if you would provide us with the details of the locations you were trying to search for on inbox.reviews@tomtom.com. We would like to work with you to verify them as well as provide additional tips.

Your suggestions and comments will be shared with the development teams.
on January 24, 2016
The volume is turned up to 100% but I can barley hear the the voice guidance. The navigation interface is not as intuitive as it was with my old TomTom XL. The buttons and interface is much slower and boot up takes longer. I am pretty disappointed. The only good thing about this unit is the larger screen.
Hi Steve,
I'm sorry to read that the GO 60 S has not met your expectations. I will share it with the relevant teams as we continue to try and improve the features and functionality of the device.

With regards to your boot time, we suggest letting the device auto sleep (when you remove the power it auto sleeps) or when you just press the power button once the screen turns off and enters sleep mode. This will forgo the entire booting process and thus when you go back to using the device will start up in just seconds (like unlocking your smartphone)
on August 20, 2015
I've owned TomToms previously and have loved them. System operation on this unit is as good as the previous ones and if you're familiar with how to navigate through other models this one will be very intuitive. So for user interface I rate this as excellent... however ....

The mapping firmware (software) doesn't seem very mature. On a recent trip using primarily back roads this unit seemed to have difficulty in identifying driveways from roads. Frequently the unit would indicate "take the next right turn" and when the point was reached (and verified by looking at the arrows on the map itself) it turned out to be a private driveway. My solution was to simply keep on the current road and allow the unit to recalculate the routing. This worked but the unit called out incorrect turns numerous times during the drive. Very annoying. Note also my unit was completely up to date at the time of the trip (June 2015) for both the device firmware and map. I assume this is just part of a newer system where glitches will eventually be worked out. I've also had similar issues when driving in metropolitan areas - just a couple of times.

I was a little hesitant about the "live" traffic feature which uses Bluetooth and your cell phone to obtain traffic information. But I'm pleasantly surprised it seems to be fairly accurate and doesn't use much data. Very nice.

The touch screen on this model isn't as good as capacitive screens (which you can get on another TomTom model) but it is very responsive. No complaints here.

Overall I like this unit. I can live through the glitches and hope this one matures and ends up lasting as long as my last one.