Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Style Name: Base Model|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 19, 2014
I think most people would agree a device shouldn't be released with as many bugs as it had to start. That being said I didn't get it until the 2.30 firmware so I haven't experienced much of what "early adopters" experienced.

Edit 4/13/2015
Running firmware 2.80 and the bluetooth connection with notifications has been stable and connects immediately once Connect is open on my phone. I did have to do a factory reset on the Edge and reestablish the bluetooth connection in order to get the BLE connection to pair. On my bike I run a Speed sensor, Stages Powermeter, Bluetooth to IPhone 6, Virb Elite, Edge Remote, and Heart Rate Monitor. All connections remain stable through entire ride.

Pros:
-For me I've had zero issues with WiFi. It loads every ride with no issues and has never forgotten my network.
-Round Trip Routing has worked very well for me along with following a saved route. I am using the CN North America map since it sticks to all roads. I have found the maps pre-loaded work well but (and this is more of a standard map issue). Bike Paths are classified as roads as a standard. With the CN Maps it worries only about true street mapping. Personally our bike paths are worse than the road with walkers,rollerbladers,etc...that take up much of our local bike paths.
-Personally I think the screen looks great. I have had no difficulty viewing the screen.
-I have found the altimeter to be pretty good if you either A. Set your known starting elevation (easy to do) or B. give it a few to "settle" in and don't just hop on your bike and ride once it is turned on.
-I've had zero issues with my existing heart rate monitor dropping out or taking wild spikes or looking like the reading is abnormal in any way. I have not had the cadence sensor drop out either and puts me the same as the old magnet sensor did for my rides.
-Boots up lightning fast (much faster than the 500 or 810 both of which I own) and gets a GPS signal quickly and when I check the accuracy within a few seconds the accuracy is within 9ft.
-Downloading workouts and using them for interval rides has worked without a hitch.

Edit 7/19:
I removed the Con on battery life and I'll wait to see on the remote as well. Initially, I mentioned 1 second recording vs. smart recording and researched and found the GPS unit samples every second either way. It only affects file size.

-What I did do (and I don't know why I didn't think of it before as I do it on all my devices) was disable WiFi when out riding. All its going to do is spin its wheels the entire time looking for your network. This had a drastic impact on the battery drain after a 1 hour and 20 minute recovery ride I did today. During that ride the battery level dropped 10%. To me this is very acceptable. I also noticed the responsiveness of all the Ant sensors was much better. Changes to cadence,heart rate and remote clicks was much improved.

Edit:7/29
Since disabling WiFi DURING a ride I'm happy to report all the continued improvements. I can turn WiFi on at home and it connects every time but there is zero reason to leave this on while riding. I believe it is doing nothing but draining the battery needlessly and causing signal interference.

Measured observations-
On average with using the remote(which I use constantly paging through ride stats),bluetooth to Iphone,cadence,and speed sensor - I consistently measure anywhere between 10 to 12% battery drop every 1 hour 15 minutes (consistent every ride).

Not one SINGLE signal dropout of any kind. I pay VERY close attention because I do Cadence and Heart Rate Intervals for my Interval workouts (don't have a power meter). Changes in cadence are picked up quickly and heart rate vs. perceived exertion follows suit. Remote no longer drops connection. Programmed workouts go smooth as silk.

Elevation measurements - I have a few rides that I start and stop at the exact same spot. Elevation gain and loss I've either had be dead dead even or within 10ft - this is a very good indicator. I do NOT enable corrections on Garmin Connect.I go with whatever the Garmin unit tells me. My average ride will give me about 1,100ft of ascent to give you some idea.

A couple of things I did while turning off WiFi (things to try). I initially setup the Edge 1000 while hooked up to a USB hub (stupid, stupid, stupid). It would not bring up my WiFi connection so I entered it manually and it worked. When I did a factory reset and set everything up from scratch this time I hooked directly into the computer (what you should always do). No problems detecting the WiFi unlike being hooked into the hub. I also took the time to turn off anything I wasn't using while riding - pages turned on by default,WiFi,etc....I set back up my known elevation from my house. I reconnected all sensors with WiFi turned off. I removed my bluetooth connections and reestablished them. All Ant sensors and the phone connected and registered with zero issues. I also left WiFi turned off on my phone while doing all of this.

If this is your first or second Garmin, I can see how all of these settings can be confusing. Even owning 3 Garmin running watches and now my 3rd Garmin bike computer it took me some time to learn the ins and outs but man is it worth it. Never having to remove my hands to use the remote, round trip routing, notifications are things I all value though and mean a lot to me. I also like the display better than previous models but this is personal preference.

I hope some of those suggestions might help anyone struggling with their Edge 1000. One final piece I thought of that may have an impact from signal interference. I also leave WiFi turned off on my phone as well while I'm out riding.

Edit: 8/4
Sorry as I know this review is getting long winded but I'm hoping it will help others with some of the negative comments.

Understanding Garmin's maps - Don't forget to change your Activity to what you are doing (i.e. Tour Cycling will stick to roads for example). There are several activities that will affect how you'll be routed (Sticking to streets vs allowing off road trails). I like my road bike but not for mountain biking :) There are also avoidance entries you can setup such as highways. This is a standard GPS issue with how "areas" get classified so what may not seem like a highway to you, may be classified as one by GPS standards.

Garmin's CN Navigator Map policy - I HATE it but they clearly state it on their site.

If you buy the map as a download and put it on a micro sd card and register it to a previous Garmin unit, you will only be able to use it on that unit. I had one on my 810 and had to buy a new download and register it to your Edge 1000. "Advantage you get it the quickest and no shipping cost".

If you buy the CN Navigator Map on GARMIN's card, you can use it on multiple devices (500, 810, 1000). The "disadvantage" - you cannot load the card into your computer for route planning.

If you buy it via a Disk from Garmin- you unlock the disk and can do map routing and planning on your computer (the "advantage") but like the download it is registered to one device.

I hope the information in my review is proving helpful. My Edge continues to work like a champ and still has zero issues but it did take me some work and research to get there.

Edit 8/24
Turning off WiFi during a ride was definitely the key. Still zero dropouts and everything working as it should. All previous positive comments still hold true
99 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2014
I have had the Garmin Edge 1000 for about a week now and have used it on almost a daily basis. I understand (and agree with) the frustration of many of the users of how many bugs the unit had on its initial release, but all bugs that people have complained about have been fixed! (SEE UPDATES AT BOTTOM OF REVIEW, BUGS ARE NOW FIXED) First and foremost, there needs to be a distinction between a software "bug" and a "by design" feature. The difference is a "bug" is something that is supposed to work but doesn't, whereas a "by design" is a feature (or lack thereof) that is intended by the manufacturer. At the first writing of this review, the Edge 1000 was riddled with "bugs"... and I agree with every single reviewer that it should not have been released in its current state (SEE UPDATES)! However, after a phone call to Garmin tech support and reading multiple forums on the issues, Garmin specifically stated that it is addressing these bugs and has indicated that a firmware update will be released in mid-June which will address most, if not all of them. They held to their promise and so it was.

In writing this review I therefore came back and edited it after the 2.3 software update which addressed the majority of bug fixes. With that software update, what we have is a great cycling GPS, loaded with features and substantial upgrades from its predecessors. Read on for details about these new features...

Physical Unit / Screen:
At first glance at the Edge 1000, its screen size is quite impressive! Upon turning it on, the color depth and resolution is the best that I have seen of any cycling GPS unit, and a huge difference from the 800/810 line. Where it gains in screen and surface size, it loses in width. The side of the unit is quite thin and although its weight measures at about 115g, the Garmin 810 is just slightly below at 97g, not a real noticeable difference for a VERY noticeable increase in screen size! Also worth noting that the Edge 1000 now uses a capacitive screen instead of the resistive screen used in past models, which gives it much more responsiveness to your touch, but less accuracy when wearing gloves or in rainy conditions. Overall, in most "biking" conditions, it is well worth the capacitive upgrade and is a noticeable and welcome change to the screen accuracy and responsiveness. Another great and needed feature is an Auto Brightness, which increases the screen brightness in bright sunlight and reduces it for less glare and higher battery life in low light conditions, such as at night or even going through a tunnel. Coupled with the brilliant display and large screen size, the outer design characteristics of the Edge 1000 is far superior to other models.

One major bug that the unit DID was unintentional screen locks where it displayed a message "Touchscreen Locked" at random times. This bug HAS been fixed with the firmware patch.

The Edge 1000 is also the first Garmin cycling unit to have WiFi capabilities. This is an exciting feature as activities, courses, routes, workouts, and other information can now automatically be sync'd with Garmin Connect without having to connect the unit via a USB cable. My initial uses of the WiFi feature has met varying degrees of reliability, as activities have easily automatically uploaded, where routes and courses have been frustrating to send the other way to upload to the actual unit. Again, this has been fixed and is no longer an issue.

Along with the WiFi capability, the Edge 1000 (along with some of its predecessors) also has Bluetooth connectivity to a smart phone, using their Garmin Connect app. A new addition to the Edge 1000, however, is the ability to use Bluetooth "Smart" to allow text messages and phone calls appear to the unit. Currently, apple iOS (iPhones) is the only operating system supported, but Garmin claims to add Android functionality by the end of the summer (still not implemented). I personally own an Android phone so have not had any experience with the text and phone call capabilities, but I have heard that currently it is extremely buggy and is not working as it should. Another former bug was that the Garmin dropped connectivity often with my cell phone, which has been fixed, at least for my phone. Also note that even when this does get working, the text message and call display will be only a one way communication. Meaning, its more intended as an FYI, as the Edge 1000 will not have the ability to respond to texts or answer calls. Still, a nifty feature as it will be good for call screening purposes to see if a call or text is important enough to either stop the bike to respond, or if you have headphones with Bluetooth capability, you can see who is calling before picking up.

Along with the Bluetooth connectivity is the ability to get weather forecasts and alerts sent to the Garmin 1000. Although it's quite easy to see the weather forecast, which is a nice feature to have, in the week I have used it (including during a stormy day), I received no alerts as to bad weather approaching (UPDATE: I have had the unit for several months now and have yet to get a weather alert). This may be worked on in the future, but I am not overly concerned as I generally bike in nicer conditions anyways.

Activity Profiles:
One of the biggest software changes that Garmin has made over the past couple years is the addition of Activity Profiles, which was introduced with the Edge 810, but is a huge part of the new Edge 1000. Instead of the older approach of using "Bike" Profiles, Garmin has fully switched to Activity Profiles, with customizable features which automatically change depending on the indicated activity. Some of the characteristics that can be customized for each activity include data screen display, sensor pairings, navigation options, optional display of a map or elevation graph, displaying a compass, alerts, and auto features (such as auto lap or auto pause). For instance, I have set up a "Commute" profile which has a BIG data window that has the current time, so that I know if I'm running late to work. This screen real estate is replaced with a Calorie count and Heart Rate display for my "Fitness" profile, whereas it displays GPS Heading information for my "Recreation" profile, front and center. The amount of customization for each profile is impressive, and I have already put several hours into customizing each of my profiles to get maximum use and functionality from them.

Although there were many bugs in the previous firmware, one major "By Design" fault is that Garmin should NOT have changed is the REMOVAL of Bike Profiles from the list of features. On previous unit designs, Bike Profiles stored the list of sensors that each bike had, as well as an ongoing odometer for that particular bike, which although not critical, was a really nice way of seeing how many miles I've racked up on each of my 3 bikes. Gone is the Bike Profile design and replaced by Activity Profiles. Instead of having a list of sensors for each bike, the display is now a pool of paired sensors that are applicable to any bike you take out on the road or trail. I have not had any issues with the Garmin finding the sensors for the particular bikes that I am riding. I have not, however, had any experience with riding side by side with another bike that also has paired sensors with the Garmin, so cannot comment on that. I do know, however, that you can manually disable sensors from the pooled list, in case of any cross-interference with another paired bike. This seems counter-productive, however, to manually have to go in and disable certain sensors, rather than just having an "Engaged" Bike Profile as with past units. On the plus side though, any of the sensors can be renamed so that you can easily identify which sensors correspond with which bike, which may only partially make up for the lack of bike profiles.

Unfortunately, also gone are the bike profile odometers, which is replaced by a general odometer that keeps track of overall miles of the Garmin itself, not each of the bikes. I would hope that Garmin would see the reviews and work on adding this feature BACK into the software design in a future firmware update as Bike Profiles and Activity Profiles could work very nicely in tandem. Although this is a "By Design" flaw on Garmin's part, it still does not warrant any less stars for the overall rating of the unit, as it is still an excellent choice in cycling GPS. UPDATE: As of the 2.4 firmware update (9/4/2014), Garmin integrated a TOTAL section for each Activity Profile which keeps track of total miles for that profile. I think that this was a response to people complaining that the odometer function was taken away, but having a total mileage for the Activity (rather than the bike used), is not a fix to the problem. Plus, there is no way to manually enter the mileage for the specific Activity, so if you racked up miles in the past, they will not be reflected.

Mapping and Routing
Another great feature that Garmin has added to the Edge 1000 is the fact that the unit comes pre-loaded with detailed street maps and can plan routes on the fly, and even give you multiple route options with the ability to choose whichever one suits you. It's this functionality that ultimately differentiates itself from most other cycling computers. With this, it will give you turn by turn directions based on street names and as you approach turns it'll then tell you of an upcoming turn, much like an Automotive GPS unit. If you miss the turn, it will notify you and automatically recalculate to guide you back on route. You can create courses on the Garmin Connect website which can then be uploaded to the Edge 1000. The connection / uploading process did have its issues, but again, this is a "bug" issue which Garmin does know about and is working on it. After a few attempts, I was able to get all of my courses and routes uploaded to the unit. The unit also has a "Route Planner" feature to input more than one destination and plan the best route(s) available to hit up every spot. Overall, the navigation features are what Garmin is known for and what they do best, and I really like the functionality of not only the planning, but the display options for maps, as well as the ability to display the distance, time and ETA to next point and ultimate destination right there on a data screen.

Garmin Segments:
With the Edge 1000, Garmin is introducing their new feature called "Segments", which I am actually very excited to use! Segments allow you to race or compete any part of a given route, such as a popular sprint location or a tough few mile climb. These segments include leaderboards and your ranking among them. They link to Garmin Connect so that other Edge 1000 users can also see them and choose whether to participate in the leaderboard rankings. You can either challenge an already-entered segment or can create and upload your own for others to compete. For instance, I created a 2-mile segment this morning from my work commute along the beach (yes, I am blessed to have a beach commute to work). The Edge 1000 then allows others to race against me on my specific 2-mile segment, where their status is compared to mine and other leaders and shown in real-time on their device. (UPDATE: After a couple months, more than 200 people have downloaded and used my segment! There is a leaderboard that shows everyone's times compared to mine and I hate to say I have been SMOKED by many great riders.) Pretty nifty feature and although there is a serious lack of already-loaded segments and participants at the current time, the Edge 1000 was just released so it is only a matter of time before the usage builds.

Summary:

Overall, despite the initial bugs, I am very happy with the new Garmin Edge model. Garmin made well on their promise to fix them in a timely manner, although I agree that it should have been done before its public release.

My only real and lasting disappointment with it is the fact that Garmin took away the Bike Profiles, and with it an odometer reading for each individual bike. This is not a bug, but a conscious decision by Garmin to do so. Perhaps if enough people speak out (I have already written them via their website and also via my customer service phone call) they MAY implement it back into a future update... but I'm not holding my breath.

With that small feature inconvenience, overall, the added features are great! The screen is large, bright and beautiful! The fact that its waterproof and has WiFi and connects (will connect) to your phone are great added features! The ability to compete against anyone and everyone that wants to use your recorded segment is an amazing and intuitive addition! All in all, this is the flagship Garmin model and despite its higher price, was well worth the purchase.

Now that the initial bugs were fixed, the wait to purchase can be over! The Garmin Edge 1000 is now THE cycling GPS to own, hands down!

UPDATE 6/30/2014:

So, as promised, Garmin did release their firmware update and almost all the software problems have been fixed.

As for all the other reviewers, especially those who gave the unit 1-star, I would hope that they would take the time and re-review the unit now that Garmin has patched the majority of complaints in the early release. Yes, Garmin should NOT have released it in such an early development, but now that the software has been updated, I still continue to stand firm that this is the best cycling computer out there. Enjoy!

UPDATE 7/21/2014:

I have been using the Edge 1000 for about 3 weeks now since the software update (about 15 rides or so) and am happy to report that all of the software bugs have been worked out! I have had no screen crashes, stalls, syncing issues, or uploading problems. The new feature to add smarter segment identifying (direction detection to not start segment if going the other way) is a great new addition and works perfectly.

As I mentioned in my original review, once the bugs were worked out, this "will be" and "is now" the top of the line cycling computer on the market. Anyone who was holding off until the bugs were gone, now's the time to purchase. Enjoy!

UPDATE 9/4/2014:

Garmin released firmware update 2.4, which has some neat new features. For one, it displays a Summary review at the end of each ride. Also, it will now connect with an Android phone, in addition to the iPhone connections available in past versions. It not only displays text messages but also incomming and missed calls. As I mentioned, there is no way (as of now) to SEND texts, only read them. Also, they have added functionality to show total mileage for each Activity Profile, as described above... although no bike profiles or odometers for individual bikes as of now. Although I have not tried it, I heard that a great new feature is predictive altitude/elevation, which will tell you elevation changes and slopes ahead of time to allow you to prepare, a nice new feature! I have also heard on forums that battery life has been noticeable increased as the new firmware is optimized to not use as much juice as previous versions.
2121 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2014
I ordered my Garmin Edge 1000 from Amazon and received it May 20, 2014. The order was fulfilled by Competitive Cyclist and I absolutely LOVE those folks. But I digress. I have logged over 200 miles with the unit since receiving it. When I received it, I was prompted to update the firmware which I did. The firmware was updated to v2.2. via Garmin Express. I had no problem getting the Bluetooth to sync with my phone but did have a problem getting the Smart Bluetooth (BLE Edge 1000) to sync. It took shutting it down and powering it back up again to get the BLE Edge to sync.

I have the 810, so I am familiar with most of the features. I am not happy that there is no "bike profile" and had to add in all the sensors for 3 different bikes and "hope" that the Edge unit will find the right sensor on the right bike. This did not happen with the Stages Powermeter on the bike I used today. It did, however, find the speed/cadence monitor and the HR monitor.

Out on the Road - There are HUGE problems with Bluetooth instability. I mean major problems that render this unit almost unusable. I found that I experience the same Bluetooth instability that everyone has commented on. The Edge 1000 would lose connection to the previously synced iPhone 5. It seems the BT_Edge 1000 connection drops, but the BLE_Edge 1000 connection is solid. BUT (and this is big but) only 3 out of my 4 sensors that were previously paired were picked up by the Edge 1000. My Stages Powermeter that was previously paired with the until was not picked-up by the unit on the ride.

The livetrack worked great. No problem whatsoever (even thought the phone and the BT lost connection multiple times). The speed, distance and candence were very accurate. I have not had an opportunity to test out the mapping or directions feature. I will do that over the weekend.

I did not experience any freezing or locking issues (yet). Ending and saving the ride is a bit complex. First you must end the ride. Then you have to save it. Different than the 810 but not too difficult to figure out.

Final thoughts:
The BT connectivity is going to be a BIG issue and it needs to be immediately addressed by Garmin. So is syncing with sensors - both theirs and 3rd party sensors, particularly Power-meters since so many people are training with them. In both of these aspects the 810 performed MUCH better. Honestly, it would be much easier if Garmin put the Bike Profiles back and let us pick which bike we are riding because clearly the Garmin 1000 can't immediately sync with them without some prodding. I am very disappointed with the unit until this glaring problem is fixed.

I would absolutely NOT purchase this unit until the firmware has been updated to resolve the BT connection problems and the sensor connection problems. These 2 issue are deal-breakers for many users.
1515 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your very detailed review. We're sorry to hear about your experience with the Edge 1000, but would like to address your concerns.

Since the time this review was written, we've released multiple system software updates which address ANT sensor and Bluetooth connectivity and stability. Updates can be downloaded and installed free of charge using Garmin Express (available at http://www.garmin.com/express).

If by updating the system software the pairing issues are not resolved, we would ask that you please contact Garmin customer support by visiting http://www.garmin.com/support. We're happy to help investigate and provide additional troubleshooting.

Thank you again for your review and feedback!
on May 22, 2014
Issues with Bluetooth connection dropping. Touchscreen locks and only way to reactivate is to turn device off. Supplied maps not unlocked.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your review!
Over the past few months, there have been several software updates which have improved Bluetooth connection stability, lock screen functionality, and added many other features. A full change log can be found here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6735

To update the Edge 1000, we recommend using Garmin Express. This free application can be downloaded at http://www.garmin.com/Express.

The mapping included with the Edge 1000 should come as unlocked to that specific Edge. If you are getting any messages regarding the mapping being locked, please contact the Garmin product support team at http://www.garmin.com/ for assistance.

Thank you for your feedback! ^DK
on September 19, 2014
I know all of the complaints. I went through many product problems when the Edge 500 and 800 were released. Garmin's release strategy is terribly flawed.

I bought knowing I could upgrade the firmware to a workable version and knowing I could return it. Over all, I'm impressed and thrilled with the purchase.

I haven't tested battery life; but you should know that this is a far more sophisticated tool than anything else out there, and here's stuff you can change to get more battery life:

- move from 1 second recording to "smart" recording
- Turn off GPS and GLOSNASS to just GPS
- Turn off Bluetooth and/or Smart Bluetooth
- Turn off wifi
- Turn off screen backlighting

That's a lot of functionality that you're in control of. If want the luxury treatments (and GLOSNASS and the screen lighting are so, so sweet), then your battery will suffer. I'll discover the nuances I'm sure..

But here's the deal, it sleeps. As in you don't have to turn it off. Nice. It gets GPS signal inside buildings and.. fast too. It auto-uploads. It syncs to myfitnesspal and strava. It allows you to share live rides with whoever, including ride metrics like heart rate ("honey, if my heart rate is zero, please call an ambulance"). It displays text messages and calls (yeah, I have a career and children I won't apologize for..and I do listen to music too with earphones! Oh the horror!). It has all maps, auto-updates them too. It auto-brightens the screen.. so nice when you start off at dusk or dawn for a longer ride.

I mean it does a helluva lot that other edge devices do not do. Cool. But with Garmin's mysterious release schedule, where they screw over early adopters, it's getting a bad rap. I had to say, if you have the dough, buy it. I wish others had it, so I could compare efforts, live, with others.

Wish I could have music control with it... but 5 stars for exceeding my expectations in all ways and the general uptick it provides in making life easier.
on July 26, 2015
I purchased my Edge 1000 GPS bundle in November for my retirement with the goal of riding across the US. Had minor issues at first, map downloads and mileage varied after trip was over versus course when set up on computer. I liked a lot of it’s options and the ability to adjust screen options to suit your needs. Then my trek began, nothing but trouble.
1> Map would frequently advise you that you were off course, over time I figured out that it had lost it’s gps signal. However prior to that I would ride around to try and get back on course, then have to reset my destination as the computer was lost.
2> Problem two, you would get to a turn that it told you turn on and when you got to the intersection it stated you were off course, so you turn back go the other way. After going all 4 directions including back the way I came it would still state off course. So I would reset the destination. Did this many times and wasted a lot of my time sitting on the side of the road trying to figure things out. I solved this by leaving my computer screen to the turn by turn navigation, looking at my distances and calculating when the turn should be, remembering the street name and turning no matter what. So I could not use speed, cadence, heart rate etc.
3> I typed in exact addresses and street number and city using the onboard destination function and the Garmin couldn’t find major museums and battlefields. Ended up using phone gps, problem being I was still 4 hours of riding away from my destination, lot of data and battery drainage. FYI, after calling Garmin they stated use search all and don’t put in exact data.
4> The distances calculated on their mapping program garmin connect were frequently wrong, the distance you had to travel was much greater, really threw off hydration, nutrition and times to visit museums, etc. Three days in a row using their destination point from the gps the stated distance from beginning of ride to completed distance was 20 miles off twice and more than that once. Ridiculous. When fully packed self-contained that is a significant difference.
5> Three times over a 4 day period I set my destination on the edge 1000 and it sent me to dead end streets, one a private road of gravel with two plus miles to reach the road they wanted me to turn on. Another was completely overgrown with trees and bushes, would of needed a chainsaw to get through, the third was again gravel and had a chain across the road stating road closed, ten mile backtrack on that one. This also happened to me prior to my ride in Washington when it ran me to a dead end road 3 miles down a road with no outlets.
6> Frequently takes you on side streets out of the way and 4 blocks later puts you back on the same street, many times you climb hills or hit multiple stop signs and you could have gone straight without hills.
7> Not so much a problem just a heads up. The routing takes you on back roads away from cars, nice, however it also took me away from any source of water or food for over four hours at a time on two occasions, so be self-sustaining.

I called Garmin to advise them of the issue, they used google maps to get me back on route called it old school, huh it worked. I again used my phone data because I wasn’t going to sit on the phone for hours for turn by turn navigation from the technician. He promised to look into my issues and to call me back on Monday as this was Friday near their closing time. Never heard from him again.
-I called again and advised them of the issue of it sending me to a dead end street again today. I had already reset my destination as it had lost it’s way. It told me it was 69 miles to my destination after I had traveled 75 miles I ran into a completely overgrown street, there was no more road. I googled my destination on my phone and I still had over 20 miles to go. My original destination said it was 91 miles I ended up going 131 total miles that day instead of their stated 91 miles, that is significantly off.
-I called again and asked for a supervisor, I advised him of my issues and he said he wanted to help. I advised him I was going across country solo and bought the edge 1000 just for the trip. He said he wanted to help and gave me directions. He further stated that there was not much he could do without me connecting to a computer, funny mine is only 3,000 miles away. I advised him I was laying up in Nashville for a week of vacation with my wife so that gives them an opportunity to help me, find me a computer and run the data to see what is wrong and fix it. Guess what, he never called as promised.
So would I recommend you to buy a Garmin Edge 1000 no way. Way too many issues, didn’t do what I needed it to do and what I purchased it for. A regular computer, $300 cheaper will fit your needs or find a different brand. Avid cyclist.
I added a photo of one of the roads it sent me to.
review image
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your review on your Garmin Edge 1000. We are sorry to hear your device has encountered difficulties and would like to take this opportunity to assist. We are also sorry to hear that you did receive a call back from Garmin in the time the individuals stated they would.

Regarding the mapping and satellite issues, distance inaccuracies, address search results and navigation issues we would encourage you to use a free program that updates the firmware and Garmin Cycle Maps. These updates have been known to fix issues such as the ones you have described. Please visit www.garmin.com/express to download and install this program to a compatible computer. If you need assistance with installing this program to a compatible computer, please use the Garmin FAQ link below.

* https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={f9ca1dc0-4020-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}

We would encourage you to visit www.garmin.com/support to reach out to Garmin Fitness Customer Care if the firmware and Garmin Cycle Map update do not correct the issues you have described. At the time for the phone call they may pursue other avenues to find a solution for your device.

You may also reach to our team at social@garmin.com for further support.

Again, thank you for your review on your Garmin Edge 1000.
on August 3, 2014
I have read a lot of negatives about this unit but I am not sure that they are relative to the latest firmware. The latest FW revision has fixed a lot of issues I read about. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

I upgraded from an Edge 705 that I have been using forever, and after the initial ride, I feel I can give a bit of feedback. My setup includes the HR monitor, GSC10 speed-cadence sensor, PowerTap, and edge remote.

The initial ride provided a nice change from the 705 and really allows screens that are relevant to the type of riding I may be doing. I have a climbing screen, an interval screen, a general screen, a threshold screen, and a general info screen in addition the map and elevation screens. These are very easy to change even while riding but I could see people unfamiliar with the garmin interface could be a little confused by some of the terms and where these changes are made.

On the road, having the remote was awesome. I thought that it might be silly but putting it on the inside of the right shifter kept my hands firmly on the bars without having to touch the screen. It allow you to change screens, start new laps, and customize the blue box button for a few different things.

The screen is very easy to see and read in midday sun and the screen size makes it easy to put a lot of data up or less with huge fonts. The screen makes up for many of the connection issues and data drops in my opinion but I agree for the price, that shouldn't happen.

Battery life didn't seem like it would hardly ever be an issue. The first ride was a 2.5 hour ride with everything turned on while constantly changing screens. The ending battery level was 80 percent, so I would not be worried about any battery issues in centuries or other long rides.

I did have my ant+ devices drop out within the first 10 minutes, they came back and never went out again. It was slightly frustrating for sure but I really enjoyed the ride despite that issue. I did not have any of the screen locks or phone drops experienced by others, but this is only after a single ride.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them

PROS:
Great screen
Lots of data screen fields and options available
Maps are much easier to see and view (compared to 705)
Easy set-up
Easy to install on bike!

CONS:
Expensive
Some connection issues
Set up may be confusing for non garmin users

I could write more about it, but in general I would buy it again and recommend to others. It may be expensive but riding with it was a great pleasure!
on October 5, 2014
Of paying $600 for this product.

I purchased the Edge 1000 and speed sensor July 12, 2014, in anticipation of using it to provide turn-by-turn directions during an 800 mile self-supported tour I planned using the ridewithgps.com site. I also intended to use the Edge on my road bike for the typical bicycling functionality. I was also intrigued by its ability to derive 2 or 3 ride options given a specific mileage input. I immediately updated the software as instructed.

During our training rides in which I just utilized the speed/distance/elevation/tracking functions, the unit worked perfectly although I was always curious whether it was deriving distance from the gps only or using the speed sensor data, since it never asked me to enter the wheel diameter.

Several days prior to the tour I inserted a 4 gb micro sdhc card that I had used with my Garmin 60CsX and downloaded the tour instructions constructed on the ridewithgps site. The Edge unit recognized both the flash card and tour route, although each time I turned the unit on it gave me an error message saying it could not unlock maps. I assumed these were the maps already on the flash card that had been purchased from Garmin for my 60CsX unit as the Edge did also list the title of my tour instructions under the "course" icon.

When I began riding the tour course I brought up the appropriate course and almost immediately began having problems. The unit began spitting out an error message saying the route I had loaded was very long and would take a long time to calculate. Further it said I should "consider" (their word, not mine) using midpoints (my word I believe as I can't recall the exact message even though I saw it dozens of times). The only option was to select "ok", which I did and which made the message go away...for maybe 30 seconds or so at which point it returned. Further, the unit seemed to know where my tour's endpoint was because as I approached an intersection it would invariably instruct me to turn onto it. When I passed by without turning the unit would simply instruct me to turn at the next intersection...and the next...and the next...

It was soon obvious that Garmin had done a ridiculously poor job of software writing, but had the temerity to charge $600 for it. I eventually turned off the course instructions and just use the mapping/speed/distance functions. I kept the unit synced to my Samsung S5 so my friends could at least continue to track my progress. That worked okay for the next 3 or 4 days during which time I used the cue sheet I had printed from ridewithgps for my route instructions. The main issue I had was rather than 17 hours of battery life as specified by Garmin I was getting a shade under 7 hours before receiving a "critical battery level" warning.

The next morning after breaking camp I turned the unit on and it wouldn't move off the blue Garmin introduction screen. None of the buttons were functional--even the on/off/sleep was disabled. So from that point on the unit was completely useless.
on September 9, 2014
I just got the Edge 1000 (not at Amazon). Right out of the box, I plugged it in and got the map and firmware updated. Currently, I have 2.5 firmware. I use it with my Note 3.

So far, I've had it for about a week and don't see the bugs with BT and/or WiFi reported by others. In fact, I have yet to encounter features not working as advertised. Having said that, I do have some pros and cons regarding the functionality:

Pros
-I love phone and text alerts. I sometimes ride during my lunch hour and like to see if important messages have come in. In the past, I would stop periodically to check messages just to make sure I didn't miss something important.
-I'm 50 so the large screen works great for me. You can adjust the number of information items you see per screen. The fewer items, the bigger they get.
-WiFi connection makes this unit easy to sync with online apps. I use Garmin Connect and Strava which are linked to eachother. AlI I do is turn on the WiFi on the Edge after my ride and it takes less than a minute for my workout to show up both on Garmin and Strava. No USB connection to a computer required.
-Touch screen works great. Very sensitive.
-I've ridden in very bright conditions and have absolutely no problem seeing the screen.
-Unit comes with 3 mounts--one extended mount 2 standard mounts. I used the extended mount for my road bike and one of the regular ones for the mountain bike.
-Magnetless cadence and speed sensors have worked flawlessly so far. I installed them on my road bike. When I ride my mountain bike, I go without sensors. Might buy a second speed sensor later.

Cons:
-No bike profiles. I alternate between my road and mountain bikes. There is no option for selecting a different bike profile. I does have ride profiles which helps.
-No odometer that I can set. I was riding with a Cateye computer and was keeping up with total mileage on both my bikes. I haven't figured out a way to do this with the Edge 1000
-Battery life seems to be short of Garmin's claim. I've gone on 2-3 hour rides and I use 30-50% of the battery according to the indicator.

I will add updates as I continue to experiment with features on this unit.

9/14/14 (update) I have made a few changes that seem to help extend battery life. First, I've made it a point to turn off WiFi when riding. There is also an option to have back-light to turn off automatically--I've set to 15 seconds auto shut off of the back-light. During the day, the display is quite easy to read without the back-light.

1/12/15 (update) I'm up to 2.7 firmware. I have to say that I'm very happy with this bike computer. I have yet to see any issues with any of the features. I use BT and WiFi during every ride and just love it. BT I use so I can monitor calls and texts. WiFi I use when I finish a ride--automatically uploads via Garmin Connect.

5/20/15 (update) I'm up to version 3.0 and updated map. My Edge 1000 is still performing as adverstised. No complaints ts from cyclist.

7/23/15 (update) I'm up to version 4.1 and still have no issues. I'm really happy that Garmin has added Strava segments to this unit as well as the 810 and 510 models. Now I don't have to try and copy Strava on Garmin Connect. I simply "star" my current Strava segemnts, and they show up on my Edge 1000 allowing me to compete with other riders. I get live results of each segment.

3/11/16 (update) I'm up to version 7.0 and still loving the Edge 1000. The latest update adds Garmin Connect IQ which gives you some visual displays for many of the functions in the unit. I think Garmin is still working out some kinks with these "apps". I use my Edge several times a week and just love its functionality. I'm glad Garmin continues to add features and correct issues with software updates. I've had zero connectivity issues. Kudos to Garmin for adding Strava feature to this unit long after its release date.
on May 27, 2014
Filled with bugs. Fails to connect with iPhone which eliminates the use of live track. Loses connection with sensors & problems with power meters. Also has this severe auto lock which makes edge unusable. Device has potential & a better display but AVOID until garmin fixes bugs. Go to their forums to see all complaints. I'm very upset I made this purchase. I emailed them & still no reply.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for taking the time to write your review! It's important to ensure that the latest software is installed on the Edge 1000, compatible iPhone (iPhone 4S and newer), and the Garmin Connect Mobile application. Recent software updates for the Edge 1000 improved Bluetooth connection stability, added support for iOS 8 call and text notifications, and fixed various bugs--including one that prevents unnecessary "touch screen locked" messages. Garmin releases software updates periodically that may fix bugs and add features and improvements to their devices.

With that said, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your Edge 1000. Should these issues reoccur, or any other issues pop up for that matter, please contact support at www.garmin.com/support, or email us at Social@Garmin.com. This allows us to investigate your issue, possibly recreate it, troubleshoot it, and report it if necessary. Again, we do appreciate your feedback and would love the opportunity to fix the issues mentioned in your review.

Thanks again! (KS)