Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 1-Pack|Change

on June 12, 2014
06/12/14 (Original 1 star review): We purchased this printer to handle our small office printing needs however when the unit arrived (today), the unit was dead on arrival: the unit would not power on. I followed the online manual's troubleshooting guide (plugging the power cord into a known good power socket; unplugging the unit for 20 minutes and trying again, etc) to no avail. The printer showed no signs of life. (For what it's worth, I'm an IT tech so my technical level for computer and computer related peripherals is rather high; so the chances of this being an issue on my end are slim). To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I will update my review once I've finished talking to Brother support though I suspect I'll need to contact Amazon to return this unit and get another. (Edited for small grammatical errors)

06/13/14: I contacted Brother support yesterday and while they were nice and attempted to be helpful, they were unable to resolve the situation. I should receive my replacement printer from Amazon tomorrow (love that Amazon service!) and will hopefully have better luck with the second unit.

6/14/14: Replacement unit arrived today and (good news!) it worked out of the box! Yay! Setup was easy and straightforward and I was able to connect it to our wireless router's WiFi without needing to connect it via ethernet or usb first (which was very nice). I've printed a few test pages which came out beautifully and quickly however the main test won't be until the end of the month when we have a 2,000 page run to make (made up of multiple pdf print jobs). I'll report back sometime after that to give my impressions thus far. For now, I'm changing my rating from 1 star to 4 stars (I feel the unit has to lose a star for the first one being DOA) but will modify the rating if my future tests warrant it.

7/16/14: After using this printer for over a month now, we're very happy with almost all aspects of this printer. We were printing multiple 25-80 page pdfs made up primarily of full color pages. The standard sized toner cartridges (that come with the printer) lasted approximately 1,000 pages which is pretty remarkable given how many full sized, full color images we were printing. We've used multiple types of copy and laser printer paper (20 - 28lbs) with no problems over about 2,000 +/- pages. The only negatives so far are relatively minor: the printer is rather loud when using the built in duplexer (double sided printing); the first time I used it I actually thought something was breaking! The only other negative I've run across is when printing the large .pdfs with multiple, full color, full page images, the printing starts to bog down and pause between sets of pages. I'm not 100% sure if this is due to the printer or my network but I think it's a limitation of the 128MBs of RAM the printer comes with. Luckily that can be upgraded so I'll probably end up doing that in the future.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2014
Great value for the price paid for this printer. The speed is great and the image quality is good as well. My only complaint is that it crinkles envelopes when you run them through the manual paper tray on the front.

Also, this printer requires a larger area to setup. This is not a desktop printer. The second paper tray (pictured on bottom), is awesome because it holds so much paper, but it does cause the unit to be tallish for a small workgroup printer.

If you are looking to replace an older printer, and are done with buying expensive HP printers, then give this unit a try.
on July 22, 2014
This thing is HUGE. I bought it for full time living in our RV. Boy is my concept of size way off. The dimensions mentioned on Amazon are the shipping carton size, so I looked on the Brother website and it was quite smaller, yet I really should have had a better feel for the size. Can't even use the 500 sheet feeder. I think I will open a mobile printing service in my RV (LOL). It does produce beautiful colors and is fast and works on my dedicated verizon unlimited data phone that I use as a hotspot. We just placed it in our RV where the washing machine goes as I doubt we will get one. Most parks have laundromats. I have always been pleased with Brother products. My old dot matrix lasted for years.
on May 14, 2015
It's a fast, powerful printer with a good paper track and good customize options for paper/envelopes, etc. The color is also clear and high quality.

I returned mine because I bought it for 2 reasons: to print addresses on 6x9 envelopes and to print full color on cardstock sheets (for coupons, business cards, etc.) The paper curl on the cardstock was awful and no amount of adjusting the paper curl / heat / output options would fix it. And on my envelopes, the toner would smear like crazy and never fully adhere after the first 50 or so each time. But if you are going to use this printer for general office use with the occasional envelope rather than 300+/week I'm sure it works great!
on September 17, 2014
I would have given it 5 stars but it lost a star for being a little noisy. I'm startled by the noise sometimes when it starts up. Overall, a good printer at a good price. I'm sure I'll get used to the noise.
on January 9, 2015
It is a bit large but given that it has two trays that is excepted. It prints fast. Had a bit of a problem controlling the printer via windows 8.1 and getting it to auto select the paper. This looks like a driver issue more than anything else, My fall back was to just manually select it. It is a bit hard to understand how to set up the printer from the local LCD panel, but after you understand this it will work for you.

I do recommend this if you wish to do lots of printing otherwise you should consider a smaller version. If you do not need both paper sizes installed at the same time also consider a smaller version.

Overall its a very solid print. I have had a black and white brother for years and have had no issue with it. Brother overall makes very solid products.

Hope this helps DWL
on September 6, 2015
This is a great printer. I use it to print labels for bags of coffee. It pumps them out in seconds. As with every other printer I have ever bought its the toner that seems to be the true usage costs. This printer is no exception. I got exactly 233 full color pages out of the starter toner set that it comes with. Then I had to buy a toner pack, runs about $240 for the brother set of 4. I think I can find some off brands that will do just s well for about $150. It came packaged well no damage. Takes up some space so make room for it. The other thing is that Staples or Office depot doesn't carry this toner it has to be ordered so keep it in stock. Other than that its an absolutely fantastic machine.
on May 2, 2016
Great printer for the price. I do a lot of printing. I wore out my last High Yield (HP CP1215) and several people recommended the Brother. I have only had this printer for a little over a month, but so far I am really liking it. I would certainly recommend it if you are looking for a color High Yield printer.
on February 17, 2015
Comes in a HUGE box from amazon, very well packed. The color is crisp and clear, much better than my 9 year old HP CLJ3800...which has not printed great for several years. Double sided is a little slow. Time to print is average. I would recommend for the price and performance. We generally print a few hundred sheets per month worth of instructions and such for our products, the cartridge lifespan is unknown at this point. The CLJ was decent about that.
on November 12, 2015
The printer was very easy to setup and was up and running within 30 minutes of unpacking the printer. The print quality is excellent and is a great choice for meeting small business needs. The multiple paper trays is a great option if you print on different styles of paper (sizes, company letterhead, etc..)