Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE 11/2014: After using this now for 6 months, I am changing my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars. It does such a phenomenal job cleaning my carpets and floors. It is so easy and convenient to use that I rarely use our corded Dyson anymore. I love that it makes me enjoy cleaning my home. I think I am willing to overlook the issues I had with it, because it does its job great.

UPDATE: After using up the battery and recharging it several times, it now holds a charge for 20+ minutes and I can vacuum my whole house without it dying, which is great. I still don't think it's 5 stars based on some of the things listed below, but I have also noticed, since my original review, that this vacuum has a hard time picking up things like a single Cheerio. So while I have to pick up larger things by hand, it does an awesome job of picking up dirt, dust and dog hair. My tile floors feel much cleaner after using this than when I use my corded Dyson or a broom. I haven't used my corded Dyson in almost 2 months and don't see that happening anytime soon. While this vacuum isn't perfect, I find myself using it and enjoying using it on an almost daily basis.

Original Review: I really wanted to give this 5 stars because it is so easy to use and does a great job, but it will not replace our almost 10 year old Dyson DC14 that still works perfectly. Mostly due to the fact that I can't clean my whole house on a full charge. I really like having it around so even though it won't replace our current vacuum it is a great addition.
Pros: Extremely lightweight which makes cleaning a breeze, especially stairs
Maneuvers so easily and can fit and reach under beds and coffee tables
Cleans just as well as the corded version
Great for doing a couple rooms in a hurry and touching up rooms in between more thorough cleanings
Transitions perfectly between tile and carpet without having to make any adjustments
Comes with a great assortment of attachments
Great for cleaning your car
Seems very durable. I rested it against a wall and it fell on the tile floor. I was sure the plastic canister had broken, but it didn't.
Cons:
No place to store attachments on the vacuum to use while you are in the middle of cleaning to get in tight spots. So
you would either have to carry the attachment around with you or come back to the spots you missed when you are done.\
If you need to take a break while vacuuming there is no way to stand the vacuum upright without holding it. So you either have to lean it up against a wall and hope it doesn't fall over and break/spill, or you have to lay it down.
55 comments|260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2014
So, I've become one of those lunatics who spends over $500 on a vacuum cleaner. Buyers remorse? I had it for the first few hours as I contemplated how much better this thing could possibly be to justify that price. Then I used the DC 59 Motorhead and...wow...so that's why it costs so much.

FIRST USES

This little thing has some serious power. I vacuumed up the first floor (about 900 sq ft), which is entirely hardwood, save for a few little area rugs, which I also vacuumed. Then I put the handheld attachment on and vacuumed the steps to the second floor. Then I hit the upstairs hallway and the master bedroom. As I went to fire it up again, the battery died. It took about 17 minutes of normal use with a few Turbo bursts. The end result is that everything looks fantastic. Not a piece of dust on the hardwood and the carpets actually looked refreshed, with the pile standing up straight, nice and fluffy. I have since used the handheld attachment to get black and tan cat hair off of 6 white parsons chairs, a task the DC 59 accomplished better than any other tool or vacuum I've ever used. I've also used the CD 59 on concrete in the basement laundry room and the various attachments to clean up furniture. It excels at everything I throw at it.

PROS

- Legitimately as strong or stronger than most full uprights or canisters
- Lightweight
- Both the large head and the handheld head are independently motorized
- For being mostly plastic, the build quality is strong
- Beautiful design
- Convenient - no cords, bags, lugging a monstrous vacuum up and down stairs

CONS

- Battery life needs to be improved. 24 minutes is enough to clean a lot of space, but I've run the battery down a few times in only 2 weeks where I wish I had just 5-6 minutes more.
- The dust cup is WAAY too small and is surprisingly poorly designed. In my initial 18 minute test, I had to empty the dust bin at least 4 times. Every single time I empty it, I have to use a tool to get the matted and clumped debris unjammed from the bin. A design failure of this magnitude, for this mechanism on a device that claims to be a full-sized vac replacement, that costs over $500, is an absolutely unforgivable disgrace. The fact that I need to fish around my $500+ vacuum with a $0.05 plastic butter knife would be comical if it wasn't such a fundamental design mistake. This process also makes a mess. Fix this, Dyson. It's not quite enough of an issue to return it, but ALMOST. It's the reason it loses a full star in this review.

RECOMMENDATION

Despite the infuriating design flaw with the dust bin, this is far and away the best vacuum of any type that I have ever used. After using it for just two weeks, I see the value in how much time it saves and also in how well it works. When cleaning is this easy, you tend to do smaller amounts more frequently, which is exactly what happened in my household. It's so easy to spot clean an area when you see dirt that by the time the weekend cleaning round arrives, there isn't a whole lot to do. I'm not sure vacuuming can ever be considered a "fun" activity, but the DC 59 makes it about as much fun as possible.

If you can afford to drop this much on a vacuum and you've been considering the move to a slim vac, I think you've found what you've been looking for. It's not perfect...but it's pretty darn close.
66 comments|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have owned way too many cordless stick vacuums. Shark. Eureka. Dirt Devil. Two types of Hoovers. Up to this point was the best was the Hoover Linx, which was in a class by itself. Nothing, not even the next step down Hoover came even close. It seemed expensive for $150, but it did a great job and the battery life was pretty good. The hand-held Linx however was terrible. But even with the stick Linx I had to own a "real vacuum" (A Dyson DC28 Animal) and pull it out pretty regularly. The Hoover was just for quick cleanup.

And then I got this. The Hoover doesn't come close, either in terms of overall ease-of-use or cleaning power. You can switch from floor vac to hand vac in seconds (with the Hoover it's a separate unit). The suction is amazing. It comes with a good array of tools. Oddly the wall mount doesn't hold one of the tools, but that's minor gripe. It has a nice simple one-touch empting mechanism. The battery life is outstanding: on low I'm going about 20 minutes. On high I can go about 10 minutes. It has a low speed (perfect for wood floors) and a high speed (perfect for carpet and most furniture). This is great on stairs where it combines the power (nearly) of a corded vacuum with the flexibility of a stick/hand vac.

It's light weight and easy to carry. One feature that may not please everyone is the trigger control for power: you have to constantly pull the trigger to keep it running. While that's fine for me, anyone with arthritis, or arm/hand strength issues will want to skip this vacuum - it just won't be useable for you.

And there's one other thing: it looks cool. My kids want to play "Star Wars" with it. If you are going to spend $550 on a cordless vacuum, it might as well look good. The price is steep, and if you are on a budget, I would get a cheap (or no) cordless and spend your money on a good corded vac. But if the price fits in your budget I can say it's worth it. For me this really sold me on the "Dyson" hype. I am an engineer. I'm picky. This vacuum is proof that good design and engineering can still make great products. The end result: there's just no better cordless vacuum out there.
0Comment|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2014
I recently started looking around for a cordless vacuum cleaner as I wanted the convenience of being able to pull out the vacuum and just turn it on not having to mess around with plugging it in or pulling the cord around that gets always gets caught on chairs and corners. Before I noticed that this product was out, I was choosing between the DC59 Animal and the Hoover Air Series 3.0. The Hoover is great as it has two replaceable batteries and some reviews and video reviews suggest that it has more cleaning power than all other battery operated vacuums. It is also quite a bit cheaper and has a 3 year longer warranty at 5 years. The Animal is great because of its multipurpose, compact platform. It's not just an upright without a cord but a completely...wait for it.....different animal. It's a light handheld unit that you can maneuver around or under furniture effortlessly or quickly transform it into a hose for crevices or purely a handheld unit for the car. I was worried about the power and cleaning capabilities but I was excited to discover that this new model, the Motorhead, incorporates a motor....in..the head... motorhead..! A strong motor in the head is a necessity for cleaning carpets - without one you'll just be skimming dust and hair off the surface. I was originally going to go with the Hoover but decided I wanted to try a Dyson product and a vastly different product from your typical vacuum, and the updated, improved motorized head of this new model really helped sway my decision. I would not have purchased the Animal.

I've tested this vacuum twice so far on my 750 sq ft. apartment's carpet on the regular On setting (I have not tried the Max power button.) It's light, nimble and flexible making vacuuming a quick process. The head, which is a couple inches tall, slides under chair legs and into tight spaces that a regular upright cannot get to without shuffling furniture around which is another convenience over the cordless. The various tools attachments and heads snap on and off quickly.

The main head provides a tactile, light grippy feel to the carpet. I'm able to vacuum my entire carpet from pull out to put back in 5-7 minutes including emptying the bucket. The cleaning results were satisfying - vacuuming a few days after having vacuumed with my corded Hoover Platinum produced a full bucket of dog hair and dust. It certainly does a great job picking up dog hair - at least short haired breeds.

I'll pull the corded vacuum out once a month or two as I cannot imagine that the Dyson can do quite as good a job with the deeper cleaning but I feel that the Motorhead works well enough to replace my corded vacuum as a weekly cleaner.

The Motorhead is well made and the floor cleaning head hose is a durable aluminum tube. It has a washable filter. The main cleaning head has two slanted rolling wheels in a ball-like shape and two smaller wheels on the front of the head. It comes with a few attachments including a mini motorized head which will be great for cleaning the dog hair out of my car. I've yet to try the Max power button and have not felt the need to use it - it does a good job on the normal speed.

Some things to note: The vacuum has a ~20 min. run time which would be enough to vacuum a smaller sized house but it has a small bucket which fills up after vacuuming my one dog 750 sq ft. apartment. Personally, if you have a house I wouldn't worry about the small bucket and would just empty it as it fills up in your nearest trash can. The bucket empties in 20 seconds by pressing down on a button near the handle - the bottom of the bucket will flip down and open. I've not had a problem with it shooting dust everywhere as I saw some reviews mention on this or the Animal. You have to hold the trigger in but it offers very light resistance so I see no discomfort for those without joint conditions for the extent of its max runtime. The thing is that it's just a quick tool to use and you bounce from room to room with it so a constant on switch is not necessary.

The one pitfall that I see to this item is that it does not have user removable/replaceable batteries. It appears that ended with the DC44 series which is really disappointing. I do not want to have to send my unit in for repairs if the battery ever dies or especially not throw it out. I have not seen any poor reviews on the battery life; however, and will just have to hope for the best. One reviewer on the Animal noted that she had hers for a few years and the runtime performance has not changed. I do not think any of us should not purchase this unit out of that fear though. Dyson should begin reimplementing replaceable batteries into their handheld vacuums not only to make repairs easier but to be able to install better, longer lasting batteries that may release - I feel like this is a shameful ploy to get people to buy the newer models.

In terms of being your weekly cleaner, this item is great for an apartment and probably just as great for a small house.

One important aspect to note is the cost - it costs nearly double the price of other vacuums and has a 2 year warranty - half that of other models which is disappointing considering the battery situation. Is it truly worth the cost? ...probably not. You could buy two-three other corded vacuums for the price... all with better warranties, comparable suction and replaceable batteries. This vacuum certainly is innovative though and a pleasure to use - you will not find a more convenient, versatile vacuum. I was able to pick this up for $400 as a certain electronics store has 20% off small appliances coupon and they accidentally took it off the sale price :). I think $400 is a fair price for this compared to the $250-300 Hoover Air 3 but would not be willing to pay the full $550 price.

Update 7/17/2014: I've used this vacuum 8 or so times and each time I was impressed by the amount of dog hair and dust that it pulled off my carpet. It's a great pleasure to use it over conventional and corded vacuums.
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
During the last few years, I owned two different Dyson's and have been very happy with their performance. Without a doubt, they are comparatively expensive to similar performing brands and models. However, they always seemed to have a slight performance, not necessarily design, edge. In my opinion, this Dyson performs well with a few minor caveats. The major issue I have is the price compared to performance as this cordless unit is more expensive than some of the corded units.

The Vacuum arrived packaged very well as is the norm for all Dyson's. The instructions were clearly written for an international reader but most people should easily understand them. The Dyson included attachments. Build quality is exceptional as has been my experience with all Dysons. You will not have to worry about cracked housings, loose gaskets, or anything along those lines. In short, this unit can take a fall and keep functioning. Even at this build quality, the unit is light enough to be used for most people and is highly maneuverable.

Performance is very powerful, especially at the highest power setting, which reduces batter life to about seven minutes of constant use compared to about twenty minutes of continuous use at the normal setting. This could be a deal breaker for people with larger homes but would be perfect, as the only vacuum, for apartments. Make no mistake, this unit is very powerful on both hardwood and carpet whether at high or normal setting. In exchange however, you get limited battery life.

The design of the unit has a flaw in my opinion. There is no method of locking the trigger down during use. You must manually depress the trigger continuously. This is inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. The dirt canister does not hold much, but is fairly easy to empty. The wall mount is convenient, easy to install, but does not hold the included attachments. This seems to be a weird oversight.

Overall, this is a solid performing unit at a very high price. People with homes larger than about 1,500 square feet will not be able to clean the entire house on a single charge, even when not using the high power setting. However, people in apartments and homes smaller than 1,500 square feet will likely find this a suitable replacement for their existing corded unit.
77 comments|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi there, this is Jessica with Dyson. We appreciate your continued support of Dyson technology. It is great to see more detail regarding your experience with your DC59 Motorhead, thank you for taking time to share it.

We noticed that you are unable to store the on board tools on your wall mounted docking station. This sounds unusual. Please email askdysonus@dyson.com and we will be in touch as soon as possible to help.

Best wishes,

Jessica
on November 29, 2014
First of all, let me emphasize how much I love this vacuum. This is the best of 2 worlds. You get the portability of a cordless vacuum and the performance of an upright one. However, there are huge drawbacks that make this not worth the price such as the battery life, charging time and 2 years warranty. Here is a summary of pros & cons:

Pros:
+Very light and easy to handle. Makes it great for multi story residence or to take out to clean the car. It is also easier to clean hard to reach spots with this vacuum. The vacuum with no attachments weighs as little as 3 lb.
+Strong enough to replace your full size vacuum. If it wasn't for the battery limitation, this vacuum at max mode would outperform every other vacuum I have ever owned especially on a bare floor.
+Emptying the bin is very easy. Go to the nearest trash can, push down the bin button, and that's it.
+Easy to store and charge. The station is a big plus. Without it, I would worry about where I put the vacuum since it is more fragile than upright vacuums. Hanging the vacuum on the wall also means more closet space for you.

Cons:
- Battery last for a maximum of 20 minutes only. That's if you don't use max mode or a motorized attachment. If you decide to use max mode on a full charge. It would last for a maximum of 6 MINUTES ONLY! With that being said, it is somewhat understandable since bigger battery means heavier weight and is the reason why it has a dynamic trigger rather than a simple on/off switch. It also takes up to 3.5 hours to fully charge which is gonna be an issue if the battery dies before you finish vacuuming. what can make this a deal breaker is the fact that the battery is built into the vacuum meaning that you can't just swap batteries and continue cleaning. [-1 star]
- 2 years non extendable warranty. For a MSRP of $550, you would need to at least have the option to protect your investment for more than 2 years. The warranty alone make this not worth the price. It also reflects Dyson's lack of confidence in their product when compared to their competitors who offer 5 years warranty on competing products that cost less than half the price. [-1 star]
-The station can't hold more than 2 attachments. which is disappointment since it already comes with 4 or 7 depending on where you buy it from. As of now, I have 1 attached to the vacuum and 2 to the station and one stored in closet. It would have been nice to at least have it hold additional attachments on the sides of the station.
- Very small bin. Not a big deal since it is very easy to empty. It is about fifth the size of a regular stand up vacuum.

In short, you will have to empty the bin and recharge after each use. The charging station makes your life a lot easier. You are less likely to forget charging it since this is where you are going to store your vacuum. Max mode is great and wish I could use it all the time but it drains the battery so fast that it would die before I finish vacuuming the rest of the house. Performance and quality wise, this is the best thing you could get. What I struggle to understand is why would a company that provides top of the line products that are leading the market choose not to show their confidence in the quality of their innovations by providing a warranty that is more appropriate to the price tag they set. This why I would have never paid the full price on this thing. I don't mind paying premium price for a premium product but I would expect a premium warranty as well.
on December 13, 2014
This vacuum can do it all! I own a Hoover Linx cordless and have tested the Hoover Air cordless but this blows those out of the water! I can do everything I need to with it - wall to wall carpet, hardwood floors, even vacuuming under the couch, getting cobwebs out of a corner, dusting off a ceiling fan or cleaning out the car.

Please see my video review here: http://youtu.be/xwThJkYGDKk
review image
on August 11, 2014
This vacuum definitely lives up to all the hype that’s behind the Dyson name!
One thing that I’m currently disappointed with (at the time of this review – Aug 2014), is that this model has not been formally released here in Canada? (I live in Toronto, Ontario) I can’t even find a press release online to announce the coming of a cleaning legend / titan…

So, here’s my basic / humble review to sway you towards buying (or not).

I live in a condo and have hard-floors throughout (ceramic tile) with a little carpet here and there.

Key features / benefits (for me):
• Light weight and very portable.
• Great suction on normal mode and the power boost mode does exactly that…dust and fine particles beware!
o A very satisfying feeling to see all the junk that collects-up in the see-though dust canister.
• Dust Canister is easy to clear – but not as elegant as the Dyson promo videos show it to be…don’t be fooled by the model with the nice manicure (nice hands though).
• Motor-head actually grabs dirt from the edge of the attachment…amazing for suction along base boards and tight corners…yes, I’m that guy that is slightly obsessed when it comes to cleaning.
• Attachments are varied enough to tackle household cleanup jobs.
• Great wall-mount / stand-up power station included…everything is orderly and even attractive on the wall…go figure…a modern art piece if you will.

(not so) Key features / benefits (for me):
• Price (Ouch!...plus I bought from the US…see my rant above as to why…and had to pay import fees…yikes).
o After getting past the final price, I remind myself daily that (fingers crossed) the product encounters no technical issues and the money I save on not having to buy another vacuum or vacuum bags…I should break-even in about 8 years…nice!
• The unit struggles on picking up larger bits of debris (anything larger than a beer nut) – not a deal breaker for me, as the nuts provide a nutritional snack as I clear the floor.
• The unit will just shut-off with no prior warning if power is low…although, I will say that the charge time on standard power is more than sufficient to clean my 700 sq foot condo.
• Wall-mount / stand-up power station only allows you to store the main unit – with wand attached, and two accessories…does not allow for storage of one attachment that came with it (I say, “…oh-well…”).

All said and done, I’m most happy / satisfied with my purchase. I can (at times) be a cautious shopper and so I did a ton of research ahead of buying, and I must admit the online reviews are bang on…most favour the unit for style, ergonomics and function, while at the same time noting the cost as a huge negative.

A very solid four stars from me! I now vacuum for fun and sport and now have a high respect for the Dyson name (first of its product line that I’ve ever bought…probably won’t be the last…wonder how those blade-less fans work?)

I’m now waiting for Dyson to design and build a better rocket so that I can travel to the moon – heard there’s a lot of dust up there so you know I’ll be prepared with my Motorhead under my arm.

dp
on June 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a big fan for cordless tools. I have cordless line trimmer, cordless hedge trimmer, cordless blower, and cordless mower. I do have a hand-held cordless dirt-devil vacuum machine. But the power is very weak. I am very exciting to try out Dyson's cordless vacuum machine.

There is nothing to be assembled, just attach the accessory, charge the battery and it's good to go. The whole unit is very well built with good craftsmanship. Though the motor is located at the handle side, not at the floor side, it's really not heavy at all. And maneuvering this unit is super easy.

While running, it gives out some kind of high pitch sound, but the overall noise level is less than the regular up-right corded vacuum machine. The sucking power is strong...you can easily see how much dust has been collected at the dirt collection canister. Though the canister does not hold much, it is fairly easy to empty.

There is no "ON/OFF' toggle switch. It is a "gun-like" trigger that you need to keep pressing to hold it at "firing" mode to run the vacuum. This is the way to prevent wasting of battery power. The design makes sense.

To keep the unit light-weight, a small battery is used. It runs about 20 minutes on normal mode, and 7 minutes on boost mode. When the battery goes down, it does not slow down the motor's sucking power. That's good, so I get full solid 20 minutes useful run time. Till the battery is too low, the motor just stops.

The two included brush bar heads have their own motors that spin during vacuum. That makes it more effective in scrubbing the rug to dig out dust. You don't see this feature in low-end handheld vacuums. The brush bar head can be easily opened to remove the trapped hair. This is very useful as I have 3 ladies in the house (my wife and two daughters). I find myself constantly cleaning the trapped hair from the brush bar. The vacuum filter is very easy to remove and clean also.

With this light vacuum, I finally can clean areas where I virtually never touched...area with tight space, or tight corners. Also, I can now easily clean cobwebs.

From practical point of view, I don't think this cordless vacuum can replace the regular corded vacuum, this is especially true if you have a big area to take care. However, its light and cordless feature makes it very handy and I end up vacuum more frequently on the heavy traffic areas around the house.

I really don't have any big negative to say about this cordless vacuum, except following two nuisance.
1. No hardware is included to install the wall-mount? All it needs is just two screws...why not included them in the package?
2. The package comes with 4 accessories, one is attached to the vacuum, two can be attached to the wall-mount. But the 4th one is left alone?? No clue.

All in all, this is definitely a good quality unit that serves its intended usages very well. My only hesitation to recommend it is its price tag. I have hard time to justify spending $500+ on this vacuum machine.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I spent the day trying out my new Dyson DC59. Actually most of the time was spent charging it. The initial charge took about 1.5 hours (it arrived partially charged). This allowed me to vacuum for about 15 minutes (1/2 the time on regular suction, 1/2 on Max suction). I then left it for 5 hours to charge (it may have been finished earlier), and vacuumed for about 5 minutes on Max the entire time. See below for exact times based on formal testing. This is the major drawback. You don't get much battery time, at least not on Max. When the battery gets low, it just shuts down. There is no gradual loss of power like with other cordless vacuums.

Before running out of power, this vacuum did an amazing job. The suction is incredible. It sucked up everything including dried leaves without getting clogged. It handled cereal and even screws. If you bock the input, it automatically pulses the suction and then shuts down. The attachments are great. The two brush bar heads are powered by their own electric motors (thus further decreasing battery time). These work great. Everything is intuitive. The directions are clear, but not really necessary.

It works well on floors, walls, and ceilings.

It is easy to empty, but it does not hold that much. It tended to fill up just as it was running out of power.

The wall mount seems nice. I played with it, but didn't install it yet. I did discover that although the attachment of the power cord tip to the wall mount was very clever and worked great, it was difficult to get the power tip out of the wall mount to go back to charging the vacuum without the wall mount. Not impossible, just difficult. You can't easily go between wall mounted charging and regular charging.

This is a well designed, well made vacuum, the best cordless vacuum I have ever used. The biggest drawback is limited use time due to battery capacity. Also, the battery tends to get fairly hot when used continuously on maximum suction.

----------------------

Update 5/25/14

Run time after full charge using maximum suction and motor head (this will be the shortest run time) - 6 minutes 35 seconds

Run time after full charge on regular suction (this is the longest use per charge) -19 minute 43 seconds