Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on February 8, 2015
This is the desktop to buy if you're 99% of computer users.

I run an IT company, and in small offices and homes alike, these desktops have been great. I have put more than 100 on sites. They are extremely easy to work on, and come with the things that you need.

Don't be confused by all of the options available with computers these days. Here's what you need: More than 4 gigs of RAM, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: NOT A MACHINE THAT COSTS 269! I repeat: DO NOT BUY CHEAP MACHINES.

These are equivalent to the old black and grey Dimension desktops you used to see in the 2000's that were running XP. Do you know why you remember the machines I'm talking about? Because they were like this one, and they lasted FOREVER. The bad reviews left by other people either did not take the time to find out what was wrong with it (Power supplies can go at any time with any computer...a stick of ram, a hard drive....these things die on EVERY computer randomly) or their problem is self-inflicted (software).

If you don't want to get all nuts or if you're not gaming, this is the machine to buy.
on August 24, 2014
I was looking for an affordable home theater PC to replace my 10 year old Dell. The integrated Intel graphics seem to easily handle 1080p video to my HDTV via the HDMI connection. This computer is whisper quiet and seems to run cool and has good power efficiency. I may add a fanless discreet video card but that is because I like to tinker. The integrated graphics look very good. So far so good!

Update: I have had this computer for a couple of months now and I am still very impressed. I have dropped the notion of adding a fanless video card since the integrated Intel 4400 graphics are plenty good for streaming any video to my HDTV. One recommendation would be to get the latest video drivers from Intel. A simple search will yield the best way to do that. My box did not have the latest drivers installed upon receipt. I am even having the computer boot straight to the desktop which gives this computer a real Windows 7 "feel". I now bypass all the Windows 8 tiles that seem so un-Windows and boot straight to my desktop! It's still a little too hard to find the control panel and such, but I am muddling through. No complaints on the box, though. I'd recommend it.
on October 1, 2014
Decent computer for the price. I made sure this PC had 8 GB of RAM. My experience has led me to make sure that RAM is the number one parameter to go large on. The processor is second. If you are a gamer - your needs might be different.

This machine works just fine with Windows 8.1.
on June 18, 2015
Ordered this for my technology-slow mom as a simple computer for her to use for basics/facebook/photos/email to replace her extra slow old PC. She has been happy with what she received and hasn't had a thousand questions while figuring it out. I find it to be fast and easy to use when i spend time over there. 10/10 would buy again.
on April 21, 2015
Great performance for the price. I'd recommend this machine to most casual users, but I have some personal "power user" issues. This is the first computer I've ever purchased off the shelf, so I'm trying not to judge too harshly on things that could be fixed by "well build your own then".

It's even likely you'll read all the stuff I don't like and not care one bit about any of it. If so, great—you'll find a lot of value in this machine.

Good stuff:
- Very good performance for the price. I'd steer my relatives toward this one.
- Killer performance with an SSD, which is super easy to install. Get one, they're like $60. You'll need a SATA cable too. Super easy install.
- About 10.25" of space for a graphics card (you'll need a better power supply if you add one).
- Standard power supply mounting, swapping in another is easy.
- Quiet fans.

Smallish stuff I don't like:
- I don't like the shiny front, lint sticks to it like it's trying to double as an air purifier.
- The front ports are inset way too far. Can be a pain removing drives/cards. And SD cards plunge so deep into the card reader I can't pull them out with my fingers, no joke.
- Some kind of MaxxAudio eq preset is on by default, and it is awful.
- Internal layout isn't super friendly. All hard drives must be mounted upside down, which works with their PSU but was not friendly to mine. Hard drives require 90° power connectors because they're in sideways.
- The chiclet keyboard. It doesn't even have little fold-out wings to adjust the keyboard angle, like, you know, every other keyboard that's ever been made.
- There's a weird divot on the top. It's exactly where I used to put an external docking station, but it sits crooked in this dumb hole.
- BIOS has no option to select the GPU. It switches to your card if you have one, and only switches back to the onboard if the card is removed. Only bad if you had some specific GPU computing in mind.

My actual bad stuff:
- Onboard NIC is a little slow. On a SSD, 'boot + login password + open Chrome + open webpage' will beat the NIC and say you're not connected (but only by a second or two). Annoying, and something I've never seen before. Doesn't happen with the stock hard drive.
- Hard drive and optical drive are a bit noisy. Really clicky, I can't stand it, but I'm a little sensitive. I was going to use the 1 TB drive for backup storage but it might be too annoying to do so.
- Electrical interference noise from the front headphone jack was terrible. I use my front headphone jack for hours every day and I was going to return the computer because I really hated it. I fixed it by sleeving the internal headphone in about a foot and a half of 3/8" tinned copper tubular braid (and then again in some nylon braid so it didn't short anything inside), which shielded it enough to get rid of the noise. Lots of work to fix a problem that shouldn't be there.
review image
on September 28, 2014
Had some initial problems with the McAfee and Dell software, but both of their customer service groups did a fine job in helping me out. Going from a Vista OS to 8.1 is a real learning curve experience but I decided now was better than later.
on April 23, 2015
My previous computer was a Dell Optiplex running Windows XP which I had for about 10 years. I am very impressed with the speed of my new computer. It is absolutely fantastic. I was a little apprehensive about Windows 8 but it does get easier as I work with it. I hope to get as many years out of this one as I did my last one. A big difference in buying a new Dell is that there are no software Co's. All included software and drivers are pre-loaded.
on November 26, 2014
We upgraded from an older Dell, and are very glad we did! The performance from this Inspiron meets our needs quite well, and is much superior to our previous unit. We were a bit apprehensive about Windows 8.1, but have not found it to be too steep of a learning curve :) The I3 processor works fine for us - office, email, web surfing, etc...but no gaming. A nice unit at a nice price.
on August 22, 2015
Got this for my dad a year back and he loves it very much. At first he was grumpy about software, (Windows 8, Google Chrome), but he got used to it. I told him about Windows 10 and he is cursing Bill Gates. I hope I dont get that way in a few more years.
on October 27, 2015
Set this up a few weeks ago after leaving it in the box for a month or two. It was pain upgrading to Windows 10, but once I got it all switched over it's running very nicely. It's quiet, fast, dependable and well, so far so good. I use it as my work station so it has to be reliable and a solid performer. I'm very happy with the purchase to date.