I am looking for a quality digital camera to take on a six month motorcycle tour of Central and South America. What about weather and this camera?
asked by Steven Carr on May 1, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
This camera is not environmentally sealed so you will have to take care to protect it from rain and excessive humidity. If you are really concerned about weather, you will most likely have to look into a more expensive DSLR. Maybe a used, older-model one to keep the cost down?
E. Andrews answered on May 1, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've used mine in heavy fog and light drizzle with no problems. I kept it sheltered best I could.
Never used it in dusty conditions but I would think it would be up to the situation.
John L. Summers answered on May 1, 2013

A
the owners manual starts with an entire section warning against usage in damp, dusty, wet conditions. for carrying it on a motorcycle I would use an air cushioned waterproof bag. I wouldn't take it out to shoot in the rain or under a waterfall. You'll also want to avoid extending the lens in dusty environments since that can suck sand inside the camera. If any of this is a showstopper for you get a ruggedized camera.
titaniumrx answered on May 1, 2013

A
Well so far I have taken her out snowshoeing in cold weather and to the beach in cuba where we got splashed by an unexpected wave. She survived both. Hope this helps.
gruschi answered on May 1, 2013
Comments (3) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I doubt any super zoom including the FZ200 could handle the vibration and elements and would be a poor choice for a motorcycle tour. The same FZ200 could last 5 years the way I use it, yours would fail within the first week from vibration, dust and moisture. Your best bet is a sealed heavy duty or professional model. Perhaps you could look at the micro 4/3 cameras which are compact and some models like the Pan GH3 have full weather sealing, are heavy duty and lighter than corresponding dSLR's. Expect to pay a lot, about $1500. There maybe some heavier duty subcompacts that might handle the wear and tear and are cheaper. Check with local camera stores for suggestions. Subcompacts are inexpensive now so you could bring along several and should one fail, go to the next. I know pros always bring multiple cameras, batteries because a failure could happen at any time and they need an immediate backup. You may need to use this approach. Good luck
Roger James answered on May 1, 2013
Comments (3) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product