which Roku is best for just quality/reliability of Netflix? This is a gift for my parents, so I am looking for something that just works. Money is not an issue (as in the $30 difference is no issue).

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but Roku doesn't get youtube or PBS but Apple TV does?
asked by Michael M. Holt on December 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 answers
A
UPDATE You Can get YouTube once again with a new private channel app called "Video Buzz". To find privatee channel apps, google search "Roku Private Channel". I figure once this app becomes widespread Roku "content partners" will demand Roku block it as it did Nowhereman's origianal YouTube app and about 2 months ago, the Russian app "RateRix". Video Buzz is a vastly improved immitation of RateRix. Several PBS apps are available in NowheremanTV's free private channel app, "Nowhereman TV". The most valuable feature of Nowherman TV is inclusion of the Real BBC News, the world's finest news service. BBCA is BBC America, bought and content controlled by NPR & PBS propagandists.
J_Onyx answered on December 8, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hello, if cost is not an issue, the best model, the Roku 2 XS is worth consideration for a number of factors. It has a usb port and will play mp4 video's I doubt that your parents will use that feature, but it also has an ethernet connection if you are close to router as I am, and wired will always outperform wireless. Last but not least, this model comes with a Radio Frequency remote that does not require a "line of site" for the remote to work. You do get PBS on Roku but youtube is still elusive. However, I do have the 1080p channel in which all video's are in 1080p and this channel now features 1080p YouTube videos. You can only install and use the 1080p channel if you have a 1080p television. I have read some posts about possible poor picture quality and I can assure you these people have other problems. The picture quality of the Roku is stunning when a 1080p source is viewed and there are more of those available than you would think. Also, my cable connection and many commonly available are very capable of 1080p. I also stream with an xbox 360 and the Roku outperforms and outclasses the XBOX in every respect (both are hardwired) and has a simple easy to use interface. If your parents have a 1080p television, at least get the 1080p box. The Roku 2 XS has angry birds installed and it has no effect whatsoever on streaming of any other source.
J. Adams answered on December 7, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Roku blocks YouTube apps from playing video. You can search, you can see results but yu cannot play, except for a very restricted private app called 1080p Showcase, which only plays HD YouTube videos. You can get very limited PBS but not PBS live TV. Your Netflix question is somewhat misdirected. Roku 2 XS is best for Netflix and for Vudu and Amazon but more than a player is important. Make sure you actual get a constant minimum Internet download speed of 1.5 Mbps. To be sure of that you need to buy at least 3 Mbps
J_Onyx answered on November 26, 2012

A
You can get PBS shows through Amazon but you have to pay for them. There is no dedicated PBS. Recently they added a British channel but I have not signed up for that yet. There are some PBS Masterpiece Theatre shows on Netflix they are free.
Joan Napolitano answered on November 23, 2012

A
I have a ROKU 2 XS. When I watch Netflix HD movies in 5.1DD+ the audio and video are out of synch. The audio is a second or 2 ahead of the video. I have spend hours on the phone troubleshooting with ROKU, Netflix and my ISP (AT&T U-verse) . They all blame each other for the problem, I'm thinking of sending back my ROKU 2 XS and ordering another one, thinking it may be defective.
Anyone else have similar problems?
Jeff B answered on February 21, 2012

A
@Gearbox,
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you with the new boxes, You can always stick to the previous models. I actually prefer them myself and bought another one just recently as I still prefer them to the Roku 2s. Amazon still sells them.
@Jim,
Yes, lockups occur occasionally and the unit needs to be power cycled. The 3.x units (previous versions) got a firmware update this month that you have to manually check for and run. Once that's done you have to go to the channel store from the Roku and exit again to update to the new versions of some of the Apps. The Amazon App has a whole new look now but works much better! I'm sure other apps were recently updated as well. Not many people are aware that your apps are updated by entering and then exiting the Channel store from the Roku. Roku does not write the apps. They are written by the respective companies: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...
R. Diamond answered on December 30, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My Roku 2 also doesn't show the quality level with Netflix, like my older Roku did. Everything starts out at low res, VERY low res and then switches to HD after about 10-15 seconds. I still get the quality level with Amazon and some other channels, it's just gone away with the latest version of Netflix. My biggest complaint, with both the old Roku and the new Roku 2, is that they lock up every so often and I have to unplug the unit to reboot it. Does this happen to anyone else?
Jim Harwood answered on December 30, 2011

A
2Wire604 AT&T provided. This a relatively new type of DSL where they actually used 2 DSL lines together for ATT-Uverse to produce 18 Mbps service. Lousy pictute on everything, I've tried display setting 16x9, 720p, 1080p. Also no quality dots on anything.
I finally gave up today and sent it back to Roku.
Thanks for the advice.
Gearbox Fan answered on December 28, 2011

A
Which router do you have? Please give model and brand.
And just to be clear... are you getting a lousy picture with the new Roku During an entire movie or are you just missing the HD text after the quality dots (....HD) on HD content during the start of the video?
R. Diamond answered on December 28, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've tried it both ways wired and wireless with same results. All devices have firewall default setting.
Gearbox Fan answered on December 27, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product