Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

Stop rating the book you havent read 1 star. If you cant afford it, complain elsewhere on the internet.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-41 of 41 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:35:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 2:39:32 PM PDT
W.Westphal says:
That would be stupid. When you review a product, you can review everything about it, including price.

People should still read a book before making a review, but they don't have to read the whole thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:37:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2012 2:38:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 6:37:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 6:38:24 PM PDT
J. Whelan says:
> When you review a product, you can review everything about it,
> including price.

If you like. I just think it's silly to assume people are reading your review to find out how much the product costs.

You can certainly take price into into account in terms of disappointed expectations. But in that case, you are not reviewing JUST the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:10:50 AM PDT
Dan H. says:
W.W. Exactly. The reviews should not be, or at the least dont have to be, content alone. I have given a very poor review based ona binding before. I paid over $30 US for a hardcover edition and the pages came loose and began to fall out as I read the book for the first time. Content, price, and yes even binding quality are all fair game for review in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 1:50:41 PM PDT
Where else to complain about an Amazon product if not on Amazon? It's not a question of affordability, but of fair pricing. The ebook is ridiculously overpriced. The hardcover can be picked up considerably cheaper at a grocery store. "This is too expensive" is a perfectly valid comment of any product for sale. If you want to read reviews of the story, uninfluenced by price, go to Goodreads.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 3:34:28 PM PDT
E. Smiley says:
Customers don't need reviews to know what the price of an item is. I read reviews to determine things that aren't immediately obvious from the product page--an assessment of the book's quality. A cheap binding is worth commenting on, although I would hope that's not the whole review. Reviews complaining about the price that I am already aware of are superfluous and unhelpful.

Sadly, while Goodreads avoids price complaints, many of its top reviews for this book are gif-laden gushing about how excited people were that Rowling has a new book out. Not helpful either.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 3:36:49 PM PDT
W.Westphal says:
Smiley: People aren't reading reviews to see what the price is, but there is a good chance that they ARE reading reviews to see if a product is WORTH the price, especially a very expensive one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:33:07 AM PDT
Reviews complaining about the price may not be aimed at potential readers of the book, but at Amazon. If two hundred reviewers give a book one star without even reading it, it's got to be a sign that SOMETHING's wrong.

What is really mysterious is why so many people care so deeply about this novel's rating. Why should they worry so much how many stars it ends up with?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 1:47:52 PM PDT
W.Westphal says:
Exactly. Force Unleashed two's death happened because it cost fifty dollars and only had a few levels. People didn't complain about the levels, just the fact that they were that expensive. Must have worked, because I bought it for ten dollars recently.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:38:42 PM PDT
Virtually no one reviews a book he or she hasn't read; what you really mean is "a book you haven't finished." It is perfectly appropriate to give a 1 star review to a book that isn't worth the time it takes to read - provided you have read enough to form a reasonable opinion. It is not necessary for wine drinker to consume an entire bottle to judge the quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 10:24:41 AM PDT
C. Nunn says:
I haven't see those yet, but then I tend to stay away from five star reviews all together.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 10:30:24 AM PDT
C. Nunn says:
Complaining about the price when the binding fell apart, or complaining about the price when you found you greatly disliked the book is one thing. There are people who are complaining about price without purchasing or reading the books and that is their review. I myself have had books that have broken at the spine before. Unfortunatly, they were also textbooks I needed for the school year.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:21:55 AM PDT
E. Smiley says:
Evaluating whether a novel is "worth" the price is.... subjective, and anyway the only way to do it well is to evaluate the book's quality. A bad book isn't worth the time whether it's priced at $0.50 or $35. As for good books, how much people are willing to spend varies widely, so my thoughts on whether a book is "worth" $20 don't necessarily mean anything to someone else. One person might think $20 is fine as long as she doesn't hate the book, while another is only willing to spend that much if he absolutely loves it and expects to keep it forever and re-read it every year. Many people look at Amazon reviews not because they're planning on buying at Amazon at all, but to decide whether they want to read the book at all--and then borrow it from the library or a friend or buy it at a used book sale. Or from individuals selling their used copies on Amazon for a lower price. All of these people want to know whether a book is good, which is what reviews are for. Very few of them want to know whether some random person thinks it's worth $20. Books aren't like cookware or iPhone cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 12:35:36 PM PDT
On Amazon, books are exactly the same as cookware or iPhone cases. They are merely things being offered for sale. You would not hesitate to give a one-star review for a frying pan priced at $300. If Amazon puts a ridiculous price on anything, including a book, it should expect a flood of complaints in the form of one-star reviews. There is no other way of recording a complaint. Again, the absurdity here is that people with no stake in the book worry about its rating to the extent that they insult people who rate it poorly. Do they imagine that the author is their friend?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:19:15 PM PST
Cory says:
the problem is that AMAZON doesnt actually set the price of the book, the publishers do. they set the price at 35 bucks, and amazon discounted it. however they can only discount it so far, without it being a huge profit loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:00:21 AM PST
The price of the ebook is actually lower now than it was when the title was first released. That is, presumably, the result of so many complaints.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - September 27, 2012)
3.1 out of 5 stars (5,476)