5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best vegan cookbooks ever!
Published on July 21, 2007 by J. Cutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Have to really create your own recipes
Not what I expected, there are no formal recipes other than a few basic recipes you use over and over in other ways. Lovely book to look at but not added value.
Published 17 months ago by Sandra

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best vegan cookbooks ever!, July 21, 2007
This review is from: reFresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes From the Award Winning Fresh Restaurants (Paperback)
As a vegan of several years and an avid cook, I feel safe in saying that I own the majority of the vegan cookbooks out there. Imagine my surprise, then, when I found this gem at my local Borders - a cookbook that I had not only never heard of but that also featured beautiful photographs and healthy recipes. I will admit, I was wary when deciding whether or not to purchase it because more than half of the book is full of recipes for different juice concoctions, and I'm not a big juicer.

I am so glad I bought this book.

The recipes are relatively simple and make you feel great - they are jam packed full of fresh veggies, grains, nuts, and seeds. I made the Green Goddess Rice Bowl, expecting it to be your average, run of the mill, boring brown rice topped with steamed greens, but MY GOD! The tahini sauce on the rice played beautifully with the "Simple Sauce", which was drizzled over the steamed bok choy, kale, broccoli, and chard; the sunflower seeds added a hint of crunch, and the pickled ginger gave it just the right amount of sweetness. The Singer's Saving Grace Juice is also amazing, and my best friend - a singer - swears by it. I am so glad that I bought this book, it is easily one of the best I have ever encountered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful vegan cookbook, May 18, 2007
This is a great cookbook. If you like glossy cookbooks with lots of tantalizing pictures, this is one for you. Recipes are healthy and relatively simple. Some of them take some time to put together but the steps involved are not complicated. Ingredients are common and easy to find.

YUM!

Also try these books: RAWvolution and Vegan with a Vengeance

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite cookbook!, March 9, 2008
I've eaten at Fresh a few times, and was a bit skeptical about this book - thinking it was probably just promo and that I wouldn't be able to recreate their food.

I was wrong, and am so glad I bought this book! This is the best vegetarian cookbook I've ever used. I am a novice cook, so recipes that are easy to follow (no assumptions) and that are actually tested are important. With a few exceptions (for example, what quantity of dried soba noodles makes 8 cups cooked?), I haven't been disappointed.

I started off making the veggie broth - when you have 10 cups of fresh broth, you start looking for things to use it in! My favourites from the soups section are Sweet Potato and Coconut, Tuscan White Bean with Pesto, and the Marrakesh Curried Stew.

I bought some soba noodles recently and decided to try the Khao San Soba noodle recipe - it is easy and fabulous! We've also made the Buddha Rice Bowl, Marinated Tofu Cubes (these keep well in the fridge and can be used in a variety of recipes). The Thai Peanut Sauce makes a lot, but thankfully I found some other recipes on the internet to use it with (Chinese Peanut Salad).

The main drawback is that I loved the first few recipes I made so much that I wanted to keep making them and didn't explore the book further. While not everything I've made is a favourite, I have been diving into the book more, and I'm really enjoying what I'm discovering.

Don't be put off by this book if you aren't vegan - you will not notice or miss the absence of eggs or dairy products in these recipes. If you're a vegetarian wanting to go that extra step towards a vegan diet, this is a great jumpstart!

Fantastic! Thank you, Ruth Tal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome vegan cookbook, especially if you love to juice, December 24, 2008
Even though I am not vegan I love cooking from vegan cookbooks because I find they contain so many delicious, healthful dishes with unusual flavor combinations. This cookbook is no exception. Even if you have beloved vegan cookbooks like Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert, and Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Great Vegan Food for Special and Everyday Celebrations, there is still room for this cookbook on your shelf. About half of this cookbook is comprised of food and the other half is a robust selection of juice recipes. Because I recently bought a juicer the latter section was especially appealing to me. She provides a great introduction to juicing and if I hadn't already purchased a juicer, recommendations on models to buy. When it comes to the recipes, I love the variety of juices from those that are meant to ward off illness or promote health benefits like Lung Lover Immune Elixir as well as juices that are primarily meant to taste great. I've been especially taken by the idea of hot juices, which are new to me. The Hot Apple Pie Smoothie, for example, is at the top of my 'to make' list.
But don't think that the smoothies overshadow the food in this cookbook, because that is certainly not the case. Even if you don't own a juicer you will find plenty of recipes worth making. You will find it is packed with a wide variety of appetizers, salads (my personal favorite after the juices), soups/stews, sandwiches, burgers, and more. I will say that the foods feel more like lunch fare than a hearty dinner, but since I make my lunches this was appealing to me. Some of the foods and smoothies call for produce I haven't been able to find at my local Whole Foods, but this tends to be the exception rather than the rule and Tal provides substitution suggestions.
My only complaint about the book is that some of the quantities suggested for items are a bit vague. This is primarily the case when it comes to the juice recipes. Particularly when pineapple is involved she often gives measurements in "slices" when it would be much clearer to use weight or cup measurement.
Overall though it is a great book and provides delicious recipes that home cooks vegan and omnivore alike will appreciate especially if you're looking for great juice, smoothie, salad, and sandwich recipes. I especially recommend the Date Almond Power Shake which is rich and creamy and the Sunflower Dressing. Yum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Twist on Vegan Cooking!, November 22, 2007
"Refresh" is a fresh twist on vegan cooking. Being in a rural location some of the ingredients are a bit hard to find, but other than that this cookbook is fantastic! Recipes are easy to follow and this book includes numerous photographs of many of its colorful dishes. The Coconut Tempeh was super simple to make and extremely flavorful, but best of all it had the perfect texture. The most difficult thing about this book is having to choose just a few recipes at a time to make. It says a lot that this is my Husband's favorite cookbook and he is NOT even vegan (but he is an incredible cook!) A must have for vegan entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, August 6, 2008
This book is fantastic for information about cooking tools (explains different types of juicers for example), ingredients, supplements, recipes (smoothies and Asian bowls especially) for the vegan diet. One of the best things about this book is the format is lush with beautiful color pictures but still easy to follow with plenty of information and instruction. I would recommend if you are interested in healthful, fairly light, vitamin-packed foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, June 28, 2008
love this book so much that i'm taking a trip to the restaurant!this book is beautiful in it's simplicity and every recipe is easily doable,with delicious results.the rice bowls are inspirational.this is a beautifully photographed book with high quality printing.i love this cook book, and i'm sure i will love the restaurant as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and delicious recipes using plant-based, whole foods, April 1, 2011
M. C. Moore (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I discovered Fresh restaurant while on a business trip in Toronto, and upon returning home I immediately purchased both Fresh at Home and reFresh. They are now both my go-to-books for quick, delicious meals in minutes. They are both set up with similar formats -- soups, salads, rice bowls, noodle bowls, sandwiches/wraps, dressings, sauces, marinades, brunch, fresh juice and blended drinks. There are only a few desserts featured in each book, but I think there are a ton of vegan dessert books on the market if that's what you want. These books are for main courses and juices to sustain you and your family.

I have found a few staple recipes in Fresh at Home such as the Adzuki Bean Stew, Gospel Rice Bowl, and Wild Ginger Dressing that are not available in the reFresh book. Other yummy favorites such as Creamy Caesar dressing and Tofu scramble are repeated in both books. reFresh does have sections on veggie burgers and smoothies, so they are both great additions to have although I haven't tried the burger recipes yet. The marinades for tempeh and tofu dishes are excellent. Fresh at Home offers more noodle bowl recipes than reFresh, and they are so delicious, fulfilling, and super easy to make that I no longer feel the need to make frequent visits to the restaurant chain that specializes in noodles. Depending upon your preferences you may want one book vs. the other. However, if you can get both Fresh and reFresh, I think they are both excellent books to have in your veg cooking collection. While there is some slight overlap in recipes, I think there are enough variances to warrant having both books in my personal collection.

reFresh has color pictures which is nice to have in a cookbook, while Fresh at Home doesn't have any pictures of the recipes featured throughout the book but the recipes are easy to follow and quick to make. Instructions are so clear to follow that I've never had to stop and say, what should the final dish look like...geez, I wish I had a picture. With the exception of polenta, I don't think it's taken me longer than 20-30 minutes to pull together any of the recipes in this book.

Finally, what I like best is the recipes are totally reliant on whole, plant-based foods vs. a lot of processed faux meats and faux cheese. Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of seitan or mock meat and Teese or Daiya on occasion, but for everyday meals I prefer less-processed, simple foods. With a few exceptions, most of the ingredients are available in a well-stocked grocery store. However, I have had to omit a speciality ingredient in a recipe or two because I wasn't willing to make a special trip to the store, and the recipes stood up very well. While I'd imagine the specialty ingredient would have added another layer of complexity to the overall dish, my family and I enjoyed the finished dishes all the same and no one felt like anything was missing.
I don't juice nearly as much as I'd like, but the juice recipes in reFresh appeal to me more so than the ones in Fresh at Home and there appear to be far more juice recipes in reFresh. I especially enjoy Immune Boost.

Fresh at Home and reFresh are both excellent books to have in a vegan's or omnivore's cookbook collection. They both offer hearty, delicious and healthy meal options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y.U.M.M.Y!, August 27, 2008
Great cookbook! A book full of delicious, fresh recipes! This is one of those cookbooks I want to try every recipe it has! Loved the juice recipes also!

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, February 17, 2009
Nicole Flory (Brambleton, VA USA) - See all my reviews
So far so good. although the chocolate brownie cookie recipe says it makes 32 cookies(using a teaspoon to drop the batter) well, I halved the recipe and it made like 60 or 70 cookies :) I am not complaining, we ate all of them. Just funny. I have made them 4 times now. And one time even broke the recipe down to make one batch. I made the choc. spelt muffins. For me I would like to make them a bit sweeter but using dates to sweeten is a new thing for me but anything to cut the sugar is high in my book. i t had a wonderful texture which I find with vegan recipes is hard sometimes to get a solid texture like that(since I don't use tofu yet) Any.......I look forward to making some of the drinks,smoothies more real food I like this book!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›