Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
my wife is an avid reader of Best Selling novels. Does this laptop enable the user to buy and download books like say a Kindle or Nook?
asked by Soaring Eagle on May 29, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Yes. Since this laptop runs ChromeOS, everything must be done through the web browser. In the case of Amazon's Kindle or B&N's Nook platforms, you would buy the ebooks from their respective websites, and read the books through their web interfaces. Amazon's is called "kindle cloud reader" (https://read.amazon.com/), and B&N's is called "nook for Web" (www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-for-web/379003594/‎). Google Play books, Kobo books and other major ebook retailers have similar web systems so that you can read your ebooks on a Chromebook.
dmpain answered on May 29, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes. The Chrombook offers "Chrome Extensions" which are just like mini programs (that's the most simplistic description) that run in the chrome window. There is a Kindle extension so you can read kindle books on your browser but I was not able to find one for Nook.
Benjamin answered on May 29, 2013

A
I don't see why not. I have a samsung galaxy and read my kindle downloads using their app. She'd simply download the app. The chromebook also comes with its own book reader: Google Play Books.
Ann answered on May 29, 2013

A
Yes. With the Kindle you can also download a book to the Chromebook and then, via the USB cable, transfer it to the ebook. No need to read it on the Chromebook. This requires a little knowledge of the Chromebook and the Kindle file systems. Don't know if this is possible with the Nook.
Richard D. Marzi answered on May 29, 2013

A
We haven't done this since we also have Kindle's and iPads. As I recall this requires the Kindle Cloud Reader App, which is available for install on the Chromebook. Sorry I can't speak to the experience side of how this works. No insight about Nook in this case. Here's a link to what Amazon says about making it work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200732280
DY answered on May 29, 2013

A
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2013 8:37:50 AM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product