Customer Discussions > Lost City forum

Is really biased The Lost City ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2006 1:52:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2006 1:56:33 PM PDT
Godfather says:
No, it is not. The movie shows the corruption of Batista, but in spite of that, all statistic from UNESCU shows Cuba"s level in economy, education et-al at the rate of the developed countries of the fifties. The movie shows just part of the cruelty of Castro's first years.Education is not so free in Cuba like Castro says. From 7th to 12th grades each student must work for free in government's farms, plus some other free work for the government through the year.College students too, and after graduation must serve the government where the government wants and for the government fixed salary forever. Health care is for turists that pay with dollars. There is no medicines, nor good care of Cuban sicks in hospitals. The exile community spends hundred of millions of dollars every year sending medicines to their family. It is not the embargo. Cuba trades with 145 countries in the world, but Castro choses to deprive the Cubans and keep them in the leash.He uses scarcity as a tool for control. If Castro's Cuba is so good like some other people say in the forum, why almost one third of the population already left the country? Why we have waves after waves of refugees every time there is an opportunity? Why not free institutions, press, or elections in Cuba? There is no more space in this forum for more, but for honest people, this should be enough to think about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2006 11:18:59 AM PDT
Pillowdude says:
You have spoken the truth & the truth hurts deeply. Corruption was the #1 business leader
and the death to what could've been a great society. At the time the USA could not deal with the likes of Castro so we lost out. Also keep in mind that Cuba does not own major resoures like OIL or else someone would of intervene in our favor. Money talks and people die.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2006 8:04:17 AM PDT
When I lived in Europe, I often heard the robotic mantra: "maybe they lack human rights, but what about the free medicine!" Gee, that's like saying "sure he killed 6 million Jews, but Hitler helped the unemployment problem in German or Mussolini helped the trains run on time." Huh? It's amazing that this has become the best defense of Fidel Castro's left wing regime of terror and cruelty. Maybe that's it: had Castro been a right-wing dictator, you'd have hundreds of movies made about his cruelty. This film is a powerful indictment of dictatorship, and the fact that Andy Garcia had to beg, borrow and almost steal to make it, is indicative of where Hollywood stands on the issue of left wing dictators (where are all the films on Stalin?) It 's also honest about the Batista government but in the tradition of ANIMAL FARM, it shows that what came after one bad leader was far worse. And speaking of Orwell's ANIMAL FARM, you can't read in Cuba --so much for free "education."

But let's say Garcia were to talk about the PRESENT: He could then show the corpses, the millions of forced exiles, the pain, the torture chambers and political prisons, the suffering of a people who cannot read what they want, say what they want, worship as they want, express what they want, move and live as they want, criticize the government as they want -- but HEY WOW, it's OK -- they've got free medicine! What do they want human rights for?

What good is having a healthy body when there is no soul? What good is having free eduction (Cubans, by the way, were one of the best-educated people in Latin America before Castro) when you can't read what you want? Questions still unanswered by the left wing idealogues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2006 9:20:01 PM PST
I just read your post. But I dare anyone else to contradict you. I agree with you 100% percent. I was born in Cuba and lived there to the age of 11. I know what is like to live there. And anyone that says otherwise has not lived in the real Cuba. I don't mean the Cuba that caters to tourists with dollars, I mean the Cuba of the common people. The Cuba of my family. Anyone that says anything positive about Castro and his regime is speaking out of ignorance. Let's not forget that Fidel is a marketing genius. But, again, I dare anyone that has anything positive to say about Castro's regime, what it's done to Cuba and its people, about living conditions in the island, etc., etc., to move to Cuba and live there as the Cubans do. And then we'll see. Thank you, Larisa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2007 11:21:04 PM PST
G. Work says:
F88k all you hyper-steroidal-einsteiniacs. The poetry of the story was simply a blossoming culture killed, permanently. Refugees or no refugees, decadence or not, Havana was changed to less than what it was

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2007 8:02:45 PM PST
Sr. Marti says:
I've been in the Cuba of the common people several times. I've been in the hospitals. The hospitals make do with what they have very well. They have a medical college which is one of the best in Latin America compared to many democratic countries. Cuba sends doctors to third world countries across Africa and South America. Even with the embargo, students from poor families in the US go to study there.

Castro does present a hardship to the Cuban people but it is nothing compared to the hardships brought on by American policy which is backwards and undemocratic.

I see no crime in students working on government farms. The same should be done here in the US. Maybe that would teach youth more respect than they now have. My friend grew up in the Soviet Union and had to work on the kolkhoz and speaks very fondly of her time growing up in the USSR. We can learn much from communist countries if we get past blind hatred.

The best way to for us to help change Cuba is be allowed to meet Cubans and stand together as brothers. The US government forbids this and fears this. Our government only wants violent change instead of peaceful change.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 5:59:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2007 6:01:06 PM PST
Siemprelibre says:
"My friend grew up in the Soviet Union and had to work on the kolkhoz and speaks very fondly of her time growing up in the USSR."
This takes the cake. I take it she was not in a Gulag nor did she mind not having individual liberties or freedom of expression.And by the way, it is the Castro government that fears and forbids Cubans associating with Americans. Read a little history, even if only Wikipedia.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 6:04:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 20, 2007 6:04:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 8:52:38 PM PST
Sr. Marti says:
I like how everything you said is based on lies. Where do you get crap like that? Do you actually visit the real world outside of your twisted fantasies? Grow up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2007 9:11:46 AM PDT
J. Diaz says:
How foul that you would sully the memory of the ''George Washington '' of Cuba (Jose Marti)to make such a typicaly ignorant elitist point.The oppressive dictatorship of Castro is well known,except to those who blidly turn an eye to it's evil.Oh,and by the way,going to the Bodeguita to drink Mojitos is the life of the tourists who feed hard currency to maintain Castro in power.Normal everyday Cubans are prohibited from even conversing with people in these places

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 12:26:11 PM PDT
So why won't the US government allow US citizens to visit Cuba? It's not because Fidel won't let them in.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 12:34:17 PM PDT
J. Diaz - Of course tourists can talk to Cubans in "these places". I've spent a huge amount of time talking to Cubans in Cuba. Where do you get those daft ideas from? George Bush? Never heard such blind and bigoted rubbish in my life. Why can't you speak the truth or are you simply so blinded by your anti-communist hatred that you don't want to see or hear the truth?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lost City forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 16, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 28, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost City
Lost City by Andy Garcia (Audio CD - 2007)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (39)