Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Digital Camera (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $199.00
I am really interested in this Camera based on the reviews here. My question is: will this Camera accept anon-Fuji type of Flash?, like a Canon 270-EX
asked by Circus Circus on May 2, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
This camera has a hot shoe which will accept any type of flash. I tried it with a really old Vivitar flash, and it worked. You must however remember a few things:
1. The flash will not work in "silent" mode (it is in the booklet)
2. Usually, the external flash must be enabled from camera menu
3. The hotshoe has more than the standard connecting contact; the other contact points make use of extra electronics in the Fuji flash, possibly to control flash intensity (for fill-up), and maybe for extra flashes used for red eye reduction (as the built-in does)
Daniel Baboiu answered on May 2, 2013
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, your flash will not work. Looking at the specs, it is ONLY a TTL flash unit and the communication pins on the Fujifilm are different from the Canon. Including the "Auto" pin, Fujifilm uses 4 pins for TTL, the Canon uses 5. (Please double check your owners manual, if it doesn't have manual or auto modes, it will not work)

TTL is a dedicated system for each brand, letting the camera control how much power the flash uses. However any flash unit that can run as Auto flash or Manual flash will work. I actually tested the Fujifilm HS30 with my Olympus FL-50 flash in Auto and Manual, and it worked very well. (It better, I paid $450 for that flash unit)

In auto mode, you have to adjust the flash unit to the same setting the camera is for ISO and f/stop. The sensor on the flash unit will determine how bright to shoot.

In Manual mode, you have to eye the distances and adjust the guide numbers set for the flash. Its more consistent of a flash but it takes time to learn.

Anytime you use an Auto or Manual flash that isn't a Fujifilm, you have to change the setting in the camera to turn on the external flash.

Fujifilm has a very good flash unit for about $120-170. EF20 and the EF 42. I paid $169 for the EF-42 and it was worth it because of the bounce and zoom features. The flash works as a TTL or Manual. What is neat, if you would need a sync cord, the Canon sync cord actually works. Actually I use a Canon sync cord for my Olympus camera too.
Robert Patton answered on May 2, 2013
Comments (6) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Fujifilm flash technology is far behind brands like Canon, Sony and Nikon, look for third party brands that offer TTL and have a designated model for Fujifim.
Robert J. Cyr answered on May 2, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I use my Younguno 560 on the hot shoe on M (manual) 4,4.5,5,5.6. I use my Sunpack with a FM trigger. You would have to visit a camera store to try out a flash that may work in Auto mode.
M. Werapitiya answered on May 2, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I haven't gotten a flash for it yet, but planned on using the Fuji flash...
Harrie answered on May 3, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Any TTL flash will work.
skydog answered on May 2, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It sincronize with Nikon program flash
Fabio answered on May 2, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product