Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2006 12:09:54 AM PDT
Although Dr. Levine makes it very clear in her book that she is not talking about rich kids, it is clear that she is talking about the upper middle class. As a teacher in the Midwest, I find that many of the high school kids I teach are troubled by the same things Dr Levine sees in affluent families- too much materialism and too little real connection with parents and other adults. Am curious whether others see this primarily as a problem of privileged kids, or whether the consumer culture, and the pressures that parents exert on their kids cut across socio-economic lines?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2006 9:57:01 AM PDT
K. E. H. L. says:
I work in a very low SES high school, and I can attest to the fact that as far as parental pressures, it is definitely NOT the same across socio-economic lines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2006 11:17:08 AM PDT
S. H. says:
Bill,

I heard the author speak on "The Diane Rehm Show" this morning, and she explained that in her view "affluence" doesn't necessarily correlate to the wealth of a family as much as it does to parents' values. I think you are absolutely right that plenty of people who aren't "affluent" fall prey to the consumer culture, too. I too work in education, and I think the materialism and lack of parent/child connection go hand in hand, but in my experience the level of parental pressure to be perfect does depend somewhat on a family's economic status and increases with wealth.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions