Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Murphy Brown: Season 1 forum

The reason for the hold up on addtional seasons

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2006 9:18:21 AM PDT
Social Lady says:
FYI, the reason that additional seasons of shows like Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Cagney & Lacey etc. have not been released is because of the music that is held within the series. Every single piece of music used on each episode has to be released or a deal regarding release must be reached or they can't release the episode. It is not exactly like they can go back and recut the episode. So goes the tangle of intellectual property. Sometimes it is very self defeating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2006 8:12:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2009 3:28:33 PM PDT
Lotte says:
Who cares about the music? Release Murphy Brown! It's only the best comedy series produced since Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Seinfeld. Designing Women was boring, and Cagney and Lacy was just one of tons of cop-detective series. I doubt too many people are waiting for those.

OK, I took a chance and bought the whole set from another TV place. Don't do it. With the exception of the first season, the music is all gone. TV ads are at the bottom. Each show is poor in quality, and not worth the money. I'm sending them all back. I can only hope I get my money back. When they say you get what you pay for, they're right.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2006 3:02:42 PM PDT
fifty50 says:
Thank you so much for the information as this was exactly what I was wondering. I was hoping it wasn't because no one was buying the product.

While it is optimal to release the seasons in order, it would be just fine with most people if they released the seasons that have been cleared.

Hand over a copy of the tape to a Cal Tech or Stanford student and within months they'd find a way to take out the music.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2006 8:21:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2006 8:33:49 AM PDT
Your information was quite helpful, but it's just so sad! I patiently taped almost every episode of MB when about three years ago the whole show (all 10 seasons, YES) was reaired in Portugal. I would say I have no more than 8 or 9 episodes missing. 28 VHS tapes. But it's not the same. Of course I bought the 1rst season as soon as it was released on DVD, and I've been waiting, and waiting...

Same goes for Thirthysomething (which I have also almost entirely taped).

BTW, could it be that "Love Among the Ruins" (George Cukor, with Katharine Hepburn and Lord Laurence Olivier) and "The Go-Between" (Joseph Losey) aren't released for the same reason? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2006 6:52:46 AM PST
Jane Austen says:
Removing the original music from the Murphy Brown Series would take away from Murphy herself. Did you not watch the show at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2007 5:01:38 PM PST
I totally agree. With some series, it isn't important what muzak is playing in the background but for this series it is almost another character. Remember how the baby loved Barry Manilow's music? I want the other seasons released as much as anyone but they really have to be intact.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 7:48:36 AM PDT
Crystal says:
I would like it if they could release ANY season. It doesn't have to be in 1,2,3,4... order. I would take season 8 now if I could get it. I just want them to get the seasons out so I can enjoy the show. My VHS recordings from the tv are getting kind of bad looking.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 12:44:35 AM PST
T. McCracken says:
Having purchased a bunch of older tv shows where they changed the music, I can attest that the music has a HUGE impact on the show. This is especially true of Murphy Brown, where motown was a continuous theme throughout the show. Now, if only they would give me Greatest American Hero, Quantum Leap, and 21 Jump Street with the original music intact! The studios stripped out the music from these dvd's, and the result was worse than horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 8:58:21 PM PDT
new yorker says:
Warner Home Video said on the Home Theater Forum's chat 9/15/08
<Nick97> What's going on with Murphy Brown S2? It's been 5+ years since seasons 1 - I'd think that you've accumulated your sales goal
for the set in that time. And, to end, any plans for The Drew Carey Show S2 or Whose Line is it Anyway? S2? Thankyou - I had a great night!

<WHV> We haven't hit our sales goal yet for Murphy Brown unfortunately...we don't have plans for Season 2 at this time for Murphy Brown
or Drew Carey.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2006
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Murphy Brown: Season 1
Murphy Brown: Season 1 by Various (DVD - 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars (176)