Any reason to upgrade from previous Blackadder release?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2009 7:05:05 AM PDT
My topic says it all. I have the complete box of several years ago, and love the show.

Is there enough image improvement and/or special stuff to make a purchase worthwhile?

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 5:13:12 PM PDT
Josie says:
The review in my paper says it's "important mostly because of its cleaned up images." If that's a reason to repurchase something then maybe it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2009 10:02:00 PM PDT
Byron says:
Max--
I also have the previous DVD editions but I think I'll have to buy this one. In addition to the commentaries it also has the fantastic BBC documentary from last year. If the sometimes-fuzzy images are cleaned up that's also a plus.
It is pretty frustrating to lay out a large chunk of cash for a DVD set then have a cheaper superior version come along later.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 7:15:19 AM PST
Interesting...wonder if there are any side-by-side comparison reviews out there?

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 2:14:35 PM PST
Patvid says:
This one says it has subtitles. I think the earlier release had closed-captioning but no subtitles, but I could be wrong. Anyone have both sets who knows for sure? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 11:34:31 PM PST
EKH says:
Well I can say that there is NOT much of an image improvement, though this might only be because the source material was never very good to begin with or doesn't exist anymore and all they had was video tape masters. In any case I suspect the remastering was a rush job with minimal effort and some scenes just look digital. To me, and I have watched the original DVD releases many times, it looks like the colors have been unmuted, there is more color saturation and blacks look slightly blacker instead of medium to light gray. But the overall image still looks fairly fuzzy, dull, unsharp, as it always has, though maybe not quite as bad. The original DVD releases always looked like they were made straight from a VHS transfer and these are an improvement, but thats not saying much really. If you already own these there is no need to purchase this new set based on image enhancement but if you are a huge fan and want the new extras, go for it. Personally, I just wanted higher quality image copies and this "remastering" leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't buy it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 11:49:39 PM PST
Kevin Graham says:
I agree with the above comment. I have purchased both versions and I bought the newer one just for the interviews and "exclusive" extended videos with Rowan Atkinson. Although it might be too late to break even now, before this was released I sold the previous edition for about what I paid for this new version. I really wasn't put off by the price as it works out to less than $10 a season, even if the seasons are somewhat short.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 7:42:31 AM PST
Martha Clark says:
I just bought the remastered box set and have thoroughly enjoyed it! It could be that my old set was so worn out from repeated viewings, anything looks better. I was missing the first series in my collection, so another reason to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2009 2:06:12 PM PST
jmcander says:
Black Adder Remastered: The Ultimate Edition

Can anyone tell me, please, what the new extras are? My husband has the first complete set of Black Adder, and he always complained that the episodes didn't have audio commentary from actors, directors, or writers. Does this version have all that - kind of like they did in 'Deadwood'?

Thank you for any replies to this!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009 1:53:16 AM PST
EKH says:
-Brand new audio commentary with Rowan Atkinson & John Lloyd, Stephen Fry, Ben Elton & Richard Curtis, Tony Robinson & Tim McInnerny (I don't believe every episode has commentary)
-Blackadder Rides Again , a special 60 minute documentary to mark the 25th anniversary
-Exclusive extended interviews with the cast and writers
-Costumes revisted with Miranda Richardson, Patsy Byrne, Tony Robinson, and Tim McInnerny
-Blackadder's Christmas Carol
-Blackadder The Cavalier Years
-Blackadder Back and Forth
-Baldrick Video Diary
-And more! (I don't know what this includes)
Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 7:18:44 PM PST
Byron says:
I haven't purchased the whole boxed set but I did just pick up the remastered "Specials" disc separately and found that a very funny line has been edited out of 'Blackadder's Christmas Carol'. Baldrick's line about the kids wanting to use the substitute 'Jesus' dog from the Christmas play in the Easter play as well has been cut.
Does anyone know of any other such edits in this set?

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:20:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 9:52:49 PM PDT
Shellie says:
Hiya peeps, I'm new to this forum! I just watched the mini episode Blackadder: The Cavalier Years set in the Cromwellian era that was originally made for Comic Relief years ago on YouTube and, lol, it was soo damn funny! Though I don't really know if special episodes such as that were ever put into the so called 'Ultimate Edition' boxed set, or not!? O.o

Which begs the question if not then that's kinda silly, cuz it's not exactly an ultimate edition is it...

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 12:42:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 12:46:10 AM PDT
Bob A. Booey says:
Does anyone know if Baldrick's line about the kids wanting to use the substitute Jesus dog in the easter play has been cut from 'Blackadders Christmas Carol' in this collection? And does anybody know where to get a copy of the unaired pilot?

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 9:16:32 PM PST
Rsrchr says:
Can someone please say what audio commentaries and interviews there are? I am fully capable of reading; and "new audio commentaries with (list of names here)" can mean one twenty-minute commentary and is not of particular help.

Can someone who knows anything please state the number of commentaries in the new boxset, and what episodes they are for?

Would love to hear from people who actually have the boxset and can give info and opinions on the extras!

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 11:03:07 AM PDT
Hunter says:
Try dvd verdict for a list of the commentaries and a demo (screen capture) of remastering changes: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/blackadderultimate.php

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 11:25:07 AM PDT
Rsrchr says:
Thank you! That is an excellent reference!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Black Adder: Remastered (The Ultimate Edition)
Black Adder: Remastered (The Ultimate Edition) by Rowan Atkinson (DVD - 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (143)