can i recharge sony rechrgeable batteries in rayovac charger I am planning to buy sony rechargeable batteries, but I don't know if I can recharge them in Rayovac charger.
asked by Sevil Sultanova on November 20, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
Yes, you can charge batteries with a charger made by some other companies as long as the type of charger matches the type of the batteries. For example, if the charger is for NiMH batteries, you can only charge NiMH batteries in it.
H. Ma answered on January 20, 2007

A
votes
If the charger is made for NiMH batteries you can charge either NiMH or NiCd batteries in it. Same with a "dumb" charger that takes ten or more hours to fully recharge an empty cell. What you should NOT do is charge NiMH batteries in a "smart" charger designed for _NiCd batteries only_ (as many were), because the charger may fail to see when the NiMH battery is full. If it keeps charging beyond full, it can destroy the NiMH batteries.

FWIW, among dozens I have used, the ONLY charger that has ever failed on me was a SONY "super quick" smart charger with LED display. It was packaged with Sony NiMH cells, and on the second or third charge it roasted those cells so badly it blistered their plastic outer sleeves and ruined them. That was the LAST STRAW on my heap of disappointments with SONY products, and I will never again buy SONY electronics if there is a name-brand competitor for sale.
OldAmazonian answered on May 18, 2009

A
votes
My Monster smart charger will recognize if alkaline battery place in the charger. the led light will blink. but it can charge any brand of NI-MH battery.
yudfan answered on December 21, 2006

A
votes
You sure can. There is no way that a charger can recognize battery make and operate any different.
Franjo Markovic answered on November 25, 2006
‹ Previous   1   Next ›