Can you recommend a heavy duty tripod that would work well? Thank you so much!
asked by joy o'neil on March 20, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
Orion Telescopes and binoculars sells exactly what you need. It is called the Parragon plus tripod. Go to And look in the tripods section.
Mark R. Zdziarski answered on March 20, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

These binoculars are huge (and amazing!), and require a tripod or some other sort of stabilizing mount to use. I've been using an inexpensive but perfectly functional (though not "heavy duty") camera tripod that I got at Walmart for about $30. One important thing that was pointed out to me by an old-hand at an astronomy club meeting: The binos need to be balanced front (big objective lens end) to back (eyepiece end). Otherwise, if, for instance, most of the weight is at the objective end as determined by the position of the tripod mount (which moves forward and back along its silver rail), once you have an object centered and then 'lock' the controls, the weight of the forward end will cause the forward end to drop. Which will likely take the object you have sited on out of the field of view. I'm sure you can find heavy-duty astronomy-grade tripods in many places online. Vibration dampers for the feet are inexpensive and useful in many situations. Also, and this is just my humble opinion, I have found Orion products to be less than satisfactory. I hope this helps.
Stevie D. answered on March 24, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Yes I recommend 100 %
Mauricio answered on March 20, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product