can this record over the air hdtv? I have an hdtv and antenna only (no cable) can get channels fine since the transition (and before). However, my vcr is analog and therefore useless, I do not want to pay a monthy fee to TIVO or cable. Will this record and playback over the air channels with dashes, like 7-1, 7-2?
asked by Viola1564 on June 16, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
I believe that the statement above is incorrect .

This device should record HDTV broadcast since it contains an ATSC tuner.
However it will not play the broadcast back as HD since the media to which it writes (regular DVD & VHS tape) do not support playback in HD. Ergo you lose some definition in playback.
Stella Aquilina answered on July 11, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just bought this machine and am not sure how to record on VHS. The manual goes from hooking it up to programming the show. I need the inbetween. What happened to channel 3? So far I had to go in the menu on the TV and change it (source?) to VCR, then turn on VCR, plug in the show, then I had to go back in the menu and change the mode from VCR to TV. What a hassle. Is this right? Yesterday I talked to Toshiba and NOW they said taping OTA on VHS might not work. Can someone help me that actually has performed this task? I have Samsung HDTV, rooftop antenna, and no cable.
ms peacock answered on September 11, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
ok, question that will reveal how little i know about this. you mentioned recording to DVD. Can a DVD recorder record over the air broadcasts? can you set it to record at certain times, the way you would a VCR? And can you re-record over the dvds or do you have to keep buying them? (the advantage of vhs.)

thanks!
Viola1564 answered on October 20, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
DVD recorders can record off the air programs only if they have a "tuner". The Toshiba DVR670 does have one, but the Toshiba DVR620, for example, does not. A recorder with a tuner can be programmed just like VCR's. DVD discs come in several "flavors" the most common being DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW. All of these are compatible with most recorders, the +RW and -RW ones can be "erased" and rewritten, while the +R and -R cannot.
Raiderfan answered on October 22, 2009

A
YES this VCR/DVD Recorder has a ATSC tuner to pick up the digital channels (7-1, 7-2) ETC.
R. David Williams answered on November 5, 2009

A
I have a Samsung HDTV and the Best Buy guy said I could tape ota to vhs/dvd (tv mode no channel 3) if i connect the antenna through coaxil cable to the player and tv. only two ends to the cable. any adaptors or splitters or anything to help accomplish this conundrum?
Amazon Customer answered on August 29, 2010

A
I have a Samsung HDTV and the Best Buy guy said I could tape ota to vhs/dvd (tv mode no channel 3) if i connect the antenna through coaxil cable to the player and tv. only two ends to the cable. any adaptors or splitters or anything to help accomplish this conundrum?
Amazon Customer answered on August 29, 2010

A
Hi Linda
After suffering for 6 months I have given up. Nothing I have done works. I do have the vcr/dvd hooked up so I can view tapes/dvds; however no recording. And what is real weird; on occasion, my tape recording blacks out and says no signal. If this is just a tape, why is that? The TV does not black out. UGH
ms peacock answered on August 30, 2010

A
Well, I just ordered a coaxil cable two-way splitter (listen to the techie here, lol!) The guy at Best Buy told me to somehow get the antenna hooked into the recorder/player AND the tv. He said we didn't need that channel 3. Wish me luck. I just may have something. I'll let you know! - Linda
Amazon Customer answered on August 31, 2010

A
I've owned the 660 for over a year now, and I absolutely love it. It will record digital tv channels to either the DVD or the VCR. If you record to the vcr, it records in standard definition. The unit will also up convert anything recorded on the dvd to up to 1080p. To watch another show at the same time, you can split the incoming single and send one to the dvd/vcr and one to the tv. The manual is a little intimidating, but the channel programming and recorder programming, I found to be very intuitive.
Neil Petroff answered on November 26, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product