Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal

on August 9, 2013
Here are some examples of what this camera can do in different situations. Overall I am pretty satisfied with this camera. It gets a pretty good image and it was a great price. As many other reviewers have mentioned, it isn't that great at night. I used a class 4 miniSD card with this so that might be why the image stutters a little. I didn't have a class 6 or higher available to test it with. Well I hope this video helps you with finding a dash cam.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2013
First and foremost if your new to dash cams, the types the police use run from $1500.00 to 3000.00 usd so you need to know that for under 50 bucks you are going to have to compromise just a little bit, unless you what to spend the big bucks.

If you look at all my reviews you will see I bought another camera last year from amazon and it was about 20 bucks. I reviewed it high because of the cost vs function. Hey, it gave me enough of an image to play in court if someone hit me or I was witness to an accident. Just having the power to play back exactly what just happened is priceless and could get you out of a ticket if the other party is lying about what really happened. Just let him/her lie through their teeth and then when its your turn to tell your side of the story.... tell the cop you have it all recorded.. Problem solved if you were indeed innocent. Now lets get on to the camera....

The quick.... Buy it only if you want to spend no more than 50 bucks, because it is the best you can get in that price range. Again cost vs function... You will come out ahead and if you are not happy.... amazon has a great return policy. You cant lose.

The long...... The other reviews have video attached and that's pretty much spot on when I look at what my camera can do. It gives me a wide field of view that is perfect to catch the guy backing up who didn't see me or the guy who blows the stop light. The image is of high enough quality to see exactly who was at fault.

The good..... Price was fantastic. Picture is acceptable and reminds me of the 2007 Iphone videos I shot way back when. You by no means will be wanting to shoot all your home movies with this camera but it will give a very good picture of what happened in front of you. If you were to sit a person down to watch the video from your dash-cam they probably would not complain that the picture is slightly grainy. I used a class 10 scan disk 16gb micro sd card. Amazon has them an make sure you get the adapter to up-size it so you can put it into your computer.. The key to this camera is that you get a class 10 card otherwise, with class 4 cards, the slow data transfer to the card causes the picture to jump and skip because you cant record the image as fast as the card can record. Thus, it looks like crud and you think its the cameras fault. Its not. Get a better card.

You can capture lic plates if you pull up behind someone but as soon as they get more that 30 feet away you can not read them when you watch the video later. A good trick would be to talk the plate out loud so the mic in the camera records it and you can review it later. If you know what the numbers are already you can make out the blurry images a bit as they get past 30 feet.

Speed limit signs can be read 100 feet out or more. No problem with traffic lights as they glow bright and any idiot would know what it meant even if its not in perfect focus.

The not so good.... If you are a video critic and expect razor sharp images don't even bother with this camera. To get the price down to 40 bucks you will have lower end optical sensors. That being said I was impressed how good it did look and function for 40 bucks. I had an issue with the placement of the power cord. Its a USB type connector with a long cord that goes into a cig lighter adapter that drops the 12v to 5v so the camera can use it. The area that accepts the plug is on the side and the cord sticks out and looks dumb. I think I can wrap it back towards suction cup mount and fix that.

Still not so good.... The unit is held onto the dash with a suction cup. No issue there. It then drops down into a ball mount with a pressure coupler there so you can set the angle and then tighten the ring and lock the camera down... no issue there. After the ring that tightens it down there is a small clip that snaps into the camera... Big issue... It wiggles left and right and allows the camera to bounce and jiggle as you drive. I solved that problem by a small drop of super glue in the clip once I figured out exactly where I wanted the camera to look. Not a big issue for 40 bucks but if I paid any more than 40 it would be one star off the rating I provided. The camera is now rock solid and doesn't jiggle.

Surprises..... The shipping was free and took 2 weeks right from china. Was wondering where it was and then I saw the small print that they were in china shipping to USA. Originally I was mad but then I decided I would rather wait 2 weeks than pay more money to a middleman to get the product faster. I was in no hurry and it was free shipping.

The unit was smaller than I thought. About the size of a Twinkie. (see my pics I hold a tape measure up to it )

I forgot how small the micro sd cards were. OMG they are hard to handle if you have big hands...but you really don't need to ever take the card out again as the manufacturer included a usb cord and you can bring a laptop in the car and download the camera right to the laptop with out taking the dash cam down or pulling the memory stick. Nice touch.

Final Verdict....

Well if you made it this far you probably already know the verdict. Good price for a good camera. Notice I did not say great... In our new world of HD Blueray and 4000K tvs you will not be blown away by the picture you see but it is a solid buy for the price. I cant even fill my car up for 40 bucks as of this review but this little camera could give me excellent proof that I was not in the wrong. That alone can save me my $500.00 deductable in case of an accident.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment and rate if this review helped you either way.
review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2013
I bought this as an add on for insurance purposes, in case i got in an accident and someone denied fault when they were at fault. I am more than pleased, even in low lighting it works pretty well. Check my video for reference.

This was shot around 5:30 PM EST, in low light conditions, but the road lighting in this clip really helped out with the shot.

FYI I used this video to backup my statement that the other driver was at fault, the at fault drivers insurance has accepted liablity for this accident.

Good luck!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2013
Please read. If you drive at night, or in any country where there are police this is probably not the dash cam for you.
The camera itself works wonderful, good quality footage and everything.
But I had some serious issues. Firstly, and most importantly, while it's recording it has a blinking red LED. The camera will automatically start recording when it's plugged into the car charger and the car is turned on. While it's plugged in, there is a blinking blue LED to indicate that it is charging.
Alternating blinking RED and BLUE lights are not a good idea. It wasn't noticeable at day, but in night the LED's would light my windshield up and I was having cars pull over because they thought I was police. I cannot emphasize enough how much of an oversight this is on the manufactures part.

Second, it would continue to record for ~5 minutes after I turned off the car. That isn't innately a horrible feature, but I do lots of short stops while driving and if the camera was in this parking mode while I started my car, it would have trouble resuming recording normally. The entire screen and menu would freeze and it was impossible to restart since the power button also froze. Removing the SD card while it was recording would interrupt it's recording and allow me to interact with the menus again.

Which brings me to my third issue. The sd card is very difficult to insert/remove. I could not do it with just my fingers, and I keep my nails short so I had to resort to using my car keys or other thin tool to push the sd card entirely inside it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2013
I was not looking to spend a fortune on a dash cam. I drive a work van and have a lot of issue with crazy drivers and was just looking for something to protect myself if I ever needed to. This dash cam meets and exceeds my exceptions. The power cord is extremely long so you can tuck the wire away for a clean look. The unit starts up and starts recording whenever power is applied. Excellent playback as well. Audio is just ok.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2013
This is a great little dash cam. The video quality is decent. The only problem I have with it is all of the loud annoying voice prompts, which as far as I can tell from the manual you CAN'T TURN OFF. When you start your car it says "POWER ON," and then "NORMAL RECORDING". Every 2 minutes it starts a new video and says "NORMAL RECORDING". You can set your videos to 15 minutes and then it will say it every 15 minutes, and then "AUTO OFF" when you turn your car off. When my car is quiet the voice startles the crap out of me, it's also in like 1 bit quality. The only audio on/off setting in the menu turns off the audio in your video recordings, not the annoying voice, and there is no volume button.
I finally took the thing apart and cut out the speaker (pretty simple - 4 screws, take the SD card out first, and the speaker is underneath the motherboard). Now I have no complaints, but damn I can't believe I haven't seen the other reviews complain about this.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2013
I was a bit hesitant on purchasing this device after reading the reviews. My major concern was the fact that many people complained about the constant voice prompts indicating "Normal Recording". However, I was pleasantly surprised, after receiving my order very quickly, to discover that the manufacturer did a firmware update on this unit to remove the voice and have it running silently. My unit also came with IR LED's, which I disabled in the menu, as they really serve no purpose for night recording.

The menu functions also are very basic (easy to navigate and select) and my unit was English by default. I was able to do a 'quick' install (hiding the wires in the trim) in my car in less than 20 minutes.

The quality of the video is good for the purpose it was designed (recording an incident or accident). I use a 32GB class 10 SDHC card and so far the video has been clean and smooth.
on September 20, 2013
This DVR camera looks good. It turns on automatically when power is applied and starts recording. That's the extent of the good news. The "power" button is to be used to access the unit's menu functions, however, this button failed to function. Too bad, as this looks like it could be a winner at this price point, but all it is is a plastic paperweight. I filed a return request and now have to wait to see if my return is "approved by the seller." You may have better luck with a unit you purchase--but I would be wary. I do not recommend this product.

Update: After emails back-and-forth with the vendor about returning/replacing/repairing this item, the upshot is -- I've been informed that a refund is on the way. Returning the product to China was not a viable option, nor was having it repaired locally at my expense with subsequent reimbursement (the vendor's suggestion). I said I wanted a refund, and I have an email that says a refund is on the way. The vendor stated that they are seeing quality control problems with this product. Here is a verbatim copy of their email response:

We checked this item in stock and some of them have some problem.
They need send back factory and test again
Could you give us chance to offer you full refund?
Please help us keep it we'll try to ask forwarder to pick up it. thanks a lot.
Waitting for your confirmation.

The responses to my emails were prompt and courteous. Too bad the product did not live up to the quality of the vendor's customer service. Of course, I will update this review again if my account is not credited within two to three days as stated by the vendor.
on August 30, 2013
This dashcam works really well. Really small and the video quality is quite good. Here is an example of some of the footage I took. Keep in mind, this isn't even in HD because I lowered the quality so my memory card could hold more. [...]
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2013
I'm not going to go too in depth as other top reviews have pretty much covered everything. However I can offer a solution to an aggravation that many people are having. Unfortunately the voice that plays every time the unit turns on and off, records a loop, or detects motion, cannot be turned off. I dont know about you but the last thing I wanted was the loud narrator voice to yell every now and then especially when the car turns on and off. So I sliced off the speaker wires.

Now before you think it was an rash idiotic move on my end, I myself have no use for the speaker. Audio playback on the camera itself is terrible on the unit as the speaker is tiny and all the sounds of the car distort a lot of what is going on. (The audio quality is different on the computer and also remember that you are cutting the speaker not the mic) In addition, I wanted the camera to quietly turn on and off with the car without any vocal additives. So with that said here is the process which may have been mentioned but I figured I might as well post it in case people haven't see it. It is fairly common sense and basic techniques operation and as I am writing this review, I have already completed the process so I don't have it in front of me to reference so forgive the basic descriptions.

(Do not attempt if you do not have careful hands, good patience, and decent experience working with delicate circuitry)

1: With the unit off, take a thin Philips head screw driver and remove the 4 screws on the unit. 2 on the bottom and 2 behind the display screen. Make sure the SD card is ejected just to be safe.

2.Remove the plastic back piece and take note of the position of the camera head as you need to make sure that you line that correctly at the end. Be careful not to stretch the camera cables during this process as it may damage the unit.

3. The speaker and the wires are on the other side of the circuity board that you see in front of you.
Keep in mind that the 3 buttons from the top part of the unit have 3 pin slots that the circuit board connects to and that the USB port is the first thing you have to take into account during the removal process.

4. Start to lift the circuit board off the unit and push the USB slot in with your finger to un-wedge it from the opening.

5. With the circuit board off you should see the 3 pin slots from the top buttons and the red and black wires going to the speaker. There is also another red and black wiring to what looks like a small black pad so be careful to not mix up the two. Cut the speaker wires - I recommend cutting them directly in half as you can always reconnect them with the little distance between the cables later should you for some reason want the speaker function back.

6. This is probably the hardest part of the whole process. You have to line all 3 pins in the slot for the buttons, like the screw holes from when you disconnected the back piece, and wedge the usb port back in. Again be careful not to damage surrounding wires to the screen/camera lense etc.

7. Take a moment to turn the unit on and off and see if everything is functioning properly. As I said before this is a pretty basic but delicate operation so just double check that everything is working properly as it should.

8. With the circuit board back on, put the camera head back in the position that you disconnected it from. If you dont remember like me when I first did this, there is a tab on the inner ring of the camera head. Keep in mind its position when you put it on the unit and then compare it to the other tab on the back casing that you initially took off. You may need to run some trial and error on the rotating function of the camera with the back case snapped on. Note: Until you fully screw the back piece on, the camera will turn easily so do not be alarmed when it does not stay in the same position until you fully screw everything back together.

9. Screw the back cover back on and you are done!

With that being completed I hope you find peace with this now more quiet dash cam. Unfortunately I dont feel comfortable enough to locate the circuitry in the camera head for the blinking lights that many complain of at night (simulating cop lights) because the connections seem too fragile. Most likely, using a marker around the power button ring should do the trick.

One final note that I see in many reviews about the recording turning on and off. You most likely have motion detection on. Just turn it off and your camera should be in a quiet recording/loop state. Use the manual as a guideline. Hope this helps
review image