The religious response to outspoken atheism

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 78 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 2:47:50 PM PDT
Debby says:
A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?" Have no idea? Do you really feel qualified to discuss why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death, when you don't know crap?
People can be 'religious' about anything. Even atheists are religious in their beliefs.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:14:45 PM PDT
Christina says:
There is scientific evidence as to why horses, cows and deer excrete different size faeces and why the consistency is different. The same goes for why different humans excrete differently. Where is the proof that god truly exists? Can you ask a veterinarian about god and get the same, scientifically proven answer as to why he does or does not exist? Can you look it up on Wikipedia and get a non-biased, proven answer the same as you can when asking about faeces?

P.S. Horses, cows and deer all eat a wider variety of organic matter than mere grass. Just FYI.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:15:19 PM PDT
Debby says:
A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is? Have no idea? Do you really feel qualified to discuss why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death, when you don't know crap? (sorry for the pun, just speaking bluntly)
You use eloquent words to get your point across, but, you fail to realize that believers 'do not have to prove to you that God does indeed exist'. The proof of His existence lies with you and you only. You are claiming that there is no God, while at the same time, trying to get someone to persuade you that there is a God. The truth is, we don't need to prove His existence. We already know that He exists. You are the one who has to decide whether or not He exists, to you. If you've already made that decision, then why all of this? Isn't it pointless? Or do you just like sounding like the Greeks who used much words. It seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that you lack something in your life and you have to fill that void, with something, even when you don't know what it is you are lacking. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist, so you put the burden of proof on those who know Him. I feel sorry for you who don't know God and His only Son, because you are missing out on the most wonderful blessing in the entire world and the whole purpose of life. I have to believe that you don't really know what true love is, or that you don't believe in love itself, because you've never experienced the love of God in your life. What a tragedy to think that because of pride and unbelief, you refuse His goodness, mercy and salvation. But, in the end, "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess, that Yeshua (Jesus) the Messiah is Lord."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 3:20:38 PM PDT
Christina says:
Debbie, I have a very full, happy life and see the beauty in absolutely everything around me. I help others, give to charity organisations, have beautiful, healthy children and a husband whom holds me in the highest regard.
Why is it that when someone doesn't believe in *your* god, you immediately make the decision that said person is "lacking something and needs to fill a void"?
In fact, wouldn't that be precisely what someone whom does believe in god is doing? You need someone to turn to in all matters that do not go your way and you seek guidance from an unknown and invisible entity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 4:11:40 PM PDT
Debby says:
Because of the hardness of your heart, ears that won't hear and eyes that will not see, you are unable to believe in a loving God. You refuse to admit that there are things that are unexplainable to us and always give science as an answer for everything. Yahweh does not cause evil, but, He will allow it. So, who or what causes evil or good? Who has the authority to decide what is truth? Why do we have a conscience? Can you 'see' love? Can you see the air that you breathe? Do you know, without any doubt whatsoever, that God does not exist? If so, then, you can feel good about your decision to deny Him. If there is ANY doubt in your mind at all, I pray that you will dig deeper than just this room discussion. Broad is the way that leads to destruction and narrow is the gate that leads to life and few find it. If you cannot see a Creator and designer of life in a new born baby, a blade of grass, the wings and perfect colors of a bird and all the millions of other designs in the world that are plain for us to see, then nothing will convince you and you have no life or hope in you. You are only existing. If you can't see the beauty in all that God has created, then it is meaningless. Because of disobedience there are bad things that happen. Obedience brings blessings, disobedience brings curses. No human can be compared to Yahweh. Man has always been fallible. Yahweh created a perfect world. Mankind, from the beginning, disobeyed Him and has continued to do so throughout history. If you want to see a miracle....look at Israel. Such a tiny country, only 8 miles long, and no one has been able to destroy it or Yahweh's people. Many have tried. But, they are His chosen people and there is no denying that they have something going for them. Even though they have strayed away from Him many times, just as we have, He still loves and protects them. Even though many have tried to deny Him, they have never done away with Yahweh. And they never will. He will chastise His children because He loves them as a father, and I know that for a fact. We suffer consequences for the sin in our lives, even when we become believers. There are consequences to every decision we make, whether good or bad. Why is that? Because there is a right and a wrong. Who determines what is right and wrong? I believe He does. You can choose what you believe, just as I do. No one can make that decision for you. It's all up to you to decide for yourself, and you can't lay it off on anyone else. We are all unique individuals, and we choose what we believe. The proof that God exists is in my heart. If not for Him, I wouldn't have been able to forgive some people that hurt me and would have stayed bitter and miserable the rest of my life, but, because He forgives me for so many things, I can choose to forgive others. Unforgiveness will eat you alive and it won't affect the one who hurt you at all, most times. Every thing requires a choice from us. So, ultimately, we are responsible for every choice we make. If you deny that God exists, that is also your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 4:25:54 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
"Even atheists are religious in their beliefs."

So does that mean you're religious about Santa Claus?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 4:42:41 PM PDT
Debby says:
And who or what do you seek guidance from, Christina? Are you truly happy and everything is just so perfect, that you wouldn't change a thing? Everything is just so wonderful? Good, I'm happy for you. I also have a wonderful life and healthy children and grandchildren, a loving family and I also give to those who are not as blessed as I am. But, I still have sin in my life, that needs forgiving. The only difference between us, is I know that there is a wonderful God, to whom I am thankful, for all that He has given me. Do you do nothing in your life that requires forgiveness? It doesn't matter how good of a person you are, or how much you give to others, if you don't know Yahweh and acknowledge that Yeshua Jesus is the Son of Yahweh, you will not see eternal life with Him. Not my words, His. It is a choice you have to make for yourself, and no one can make it for you. And ultimately, you are also responsible to teach your children the truth, so are you willing to take the chance that what you believe is the truth and pass that down to them? Do you persuade your children to believe as you do? Are there Any believers in your family? If you deny Yahweh and His son, He will deny you. That makes you even. So, take your chances, the choice is yours. I say all of this in love, because I truly hate to see people be so deceived by the lies of this world and the one who causes them. I have to tell you that Yahweh loves you and He doesn't want anyone to go to hell and He doesn't condemn you there, you condemn yourself by your own denial of His existence. Why is it so hard to believe that there is a God who loves you so much, if your life is so perfect? I pray that you will reconsider your decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 4:47:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:38:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 5:11:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:14:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 5:38:43 PM PDT
Debby says:
I do not celebrate christmas, easter , halloween, etc, because they are pagan rituals. Even unbelievers celebrate those and it's impossible to tell who is or isn't a believer because of that. So, I don't call myself a Christian. I celebrate the Feasts of Yahweh, Passover, Feasts of Tabernacles, etc. And I am not Jewish. But, I am a believer in Yahweh and His only Son, Yeshua HaMashiach and I believe in His Torah as well as His entire word.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 5:39:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:40:41 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
You didn't answer my question-- are you religious about Santa Claus? I mean, is your LACK of belief in Santa Claus a religious belief? The tooth fairy? The Easter bunny? The boogeyman?

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 5:49:18 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality." -- George Bernard Shaw

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 6:16:34 PM PDT
Debby says:
No, I am not religious about Santa or the tooth fairy, etc. My LACK of belief, as you call it, for those things, has nothing to do with my belief in Yahweh. There is a difference in man-made traditions and the truth of Yahweh and you have to go back and find out where, and by whom these things were started. It's not my intention to try and outsmart anyone. I welcome serious questions about my beliefs and somehow I think this is probably a trick question. So, go ahead and tell me how that Yahweh is just a figment of my imagination, and I'll try to tell you what I've learned and we'll go back and forth until one of us 'get's it or just gives up.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:20:43 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
No, you claimed that, "even atheists are religious." My point is, atheists are no more religious about God than you are about Santa Claus.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 6:23:12 PM PDT
Debby says:
Except that the drunken man probably feels worse when he wakes up and has to face reality. Then, he goes back to being drunk to avoid it again. I am much happier as an ex-skeptic. There is a way that seems right to a man, but, in the end, leads to destruction.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 6:24:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 6:33:23 PM PDT
Debby says:
No, but, they 'are religious' about being 'unreligious' or not believing in Yahweh. People can be religious about anything. Their religion can involve such things as never missing a day of work, or always being on time. In other words, atheists are religious about denying that there is a God.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 6:30:18 PM PDT
Debby says:
Do you buy Christmas presents for anyone? Or hang lights out? Just curious.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:31:56 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
I don't hang lights out, but do give a few Christmas presents-- not for religious reasons, simply because it is a tradition which I grew up with and think is generally positive.

So why are they any more "religious", not believing in Yahweh, than they are not believing in the Tooth Fairy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 7:42:50 PM PDT
Debby says:
So, you keep the traditions of man, even though it's a religious holiday for Christians, because you think it is a positive thing to do. Just like I am religious in keeping my beliefs, so atheists are religious in keeping theirs. My beliefs are a way of life, not a religion. I try to live what I believe. If you are trying to say that believing in fairy tales is the same thing as believing in Yahweh, I would have to disagree.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 8:26:00 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
I would say that not-believing in fairy tales is the same thing as not-believing in Yahweh, at any rate. As some have put it-- you are an atheist too, you don't believe in Zeus, or Odin, or Krishna-- the only difference is the rest of us believe in one less diety than you do. We are no more religious about our disbelief in Yahweh than we are in our disbelief in Zeus or Odin or Krishna or the Tooth Fairy. We are no more religious about our disbelief in Yahweh than YOU are in YOUR disbelief in Zeus or Odin or Krishna or the Tooth Fairy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 8:56:51 PM PDT
Debby says:
Atheist IS the wrong word for those who don't believe in Yahweh. They are more rightly called anti-christ, or anti-Yeshua. They are haters of Yahweh. I am truly atheist when it comes to believing in Zeus or any other god, besides the One True Living Yahweh.
II Peter 3:3-7 tells us, "First, understand this: during the Last Days, scoffers will come, following their own desires and asking, "Where is this promised 'coming' of His? For our fathers have died, and everything goes on just as it has since the beginning of creation." But, wanting so much to be right about this, they overlook the fact that it was by Yahweh's word, that long ago there were heavens, and there was land which arose out of water and existed between the waters, and that by means of these things the world of that time was flooded with water and destroyed. It is by that same Word that the present heavens and earth, having been preserved, are being kept for fire until the Day of Judgement, when ungodly people will be destroyed." Choose you this day who you will serve. Now is the time to receive salvation. Shalom

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 10:02:05 PM PDT
K. Doyle says:
I'm no more a "hater" of Yahweh than you are a "hater" of Zeus.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:17:20 AM PDT
Debby says:
I don't believe there is a Zeus that ever existed. But, if he did, I would definitely not be 'for' him, so I would be 'against' him, right? You either love Yahweh or you don't.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 12:29:04 AM PDT
K. Doyle says:
And you either love the Easter Bunny, or you don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:56:46 AM PDT
Debby says:
And the answer is..............I don't.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
God is not Great How Religion Poisons Everything
God is not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (Paperback - 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,741)