Do any of you remember how much an 8mb Ps2 card cost?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2012 10:04:43 PM PST
Jake Garrett says:
Exactly. Quit crying. It is what it is.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:46:33 PM PST
Colin says:
or how much a 20GB hard drive for the Xbox 360 cost at launch...

now that was definitely overpriced

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:50:43 PM PST
Oscar Martel says:
Have you guys noticed the REVIEWS of the card? All 1-star ratings are about "how overpriced" the item is, yet not a single word of how its undeveloped or if it doesn't work properly. I don't own a large card but this is absurd just to low the rating of an Item? Some people =/

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 4:04:06 AM PST
sakanagai says:
I got an 8MB PS2 memory card for $40 at launch (over $5000/GB). My first N64 controller pak (32KB) was $30 which would equate to almost $1 million per gigabyte. Nice to see the prices of memory finally starting to drop.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 5:37:30 AM PST
noahb16 says:
I remember saying "I think I need the 32 Mb because I don't want to run out of space" now I'm saying I need the 32 Gb so I don't run out of space. The age if technology 8)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 7:06:16 AM PST
sakanagai says:
Bah. My Commodore 64 would scoff at your remark, but it left it's derision on a different cassette tape.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 11:59:15 AM PST
Overpriced? Yes. New pricing strategies? No.

So let's stop complaining. Unless you are actually getting people to speak up.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 12:18:53 AM PST
E. Hyman says:
Sony have stated that they went with proprietary memory cards to prevent piracy. The prices will come down eventually. Heck, I remember when some of the memory stick pro duo cards were over $100 bucks. Sony is planning on releasing memory cards that are larger then 32GB eventually, so prices could go down when that happens.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 1:27:02 PM PST
K. Jernigan says:
The psp memory cards used to be $100 for 1gb

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:30:16 AM PDT
$100 for a 32GB card is a lot better than the $40 for a 4GB memory card with a game on it...

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 8:23:07 PM PDT
T. Cannon says:
yeah if you want a good comparison, look at the 360.

add up all the money you pay for the hard drive, wifi adapter, batteries for the controller, an xbox live subscription, and the hd-dvd add on (if you got suckered into that one)...

all of a sudden $100 bucks for a 32gb card doesnt seem all that bad. trolls and fanboys have the worst memories of anyone

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:06:48 AM PDT
MD says:
3x the price of a 32gb micro sd=crazy

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 5:35:24 PM PDT
J. Wilson says:
All 32GB memory sticks starts at over $100.00 then it reduces in price slowly to a point for properly produced cards. I paid $80.00 for it. The vita's 32gb is well worth the current price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:20:46 PM PDT
D. Snow says:
Bringing up the price of a PS2 memory card from 11 years ago is irrelevant to today's consumers. It's a much more competitive and sophisticated market now.

Nowadays everyone has digital cameras and cell phones and other gadgets that use fast, cheap SD or microSD cards. Sony is crazy to sell a slow 32gb card for 80 bucks, people are not going to accept that! I can buy a fast Class10 32gb SD card here on Amazon for just 25 dollars.

Look at the Vita's dismal sales numbers in the USA (and worldwide), the sky-high memory card pricing is partly responsible for that...

And now the small group of Vita loyalists are getting ecstatic over Gravity Rush, an OK game that rates maybe 7 out of 10.

Where is the Vita's killer-app?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 9:44:39 PM PDT
Susurrus says:
Too bad they didn't do the same as the 3DS and let you use an SD card (or even their Memory Card Duo from PSP). My PS3 even has a port for those...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 11:17:50 AM PDT
jeepgrrrl says:
LMAO...I remember those!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 10:06:41 AM PDT
Sylver says:
All you're demonstrating is that the 360 has just as many hidden charges as the Vita. Okay, you win, they're both gouge jobs.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 12:21:43 PM PDT
And the point is? The first computer my family bought was about $1,500; it had the processing power of a graphing calculator, but it was state-of-the-art at the time. Technology and the market moves on.

Comparable memory cards cost $20-$30. Unless imprinting the word 'Sony' on a chip costs $50, consumers are being hosed. The fact that Sony has done it for years isn't a defense that would sway many juries.

Oh, and they're trying to combat piracy? Can I get memory at a fair price if I show the receipts for the games I own, all purchased legally? I didn't think so. Don't expect me to foot the bill for software thieves. I'll just play something else.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 12:07:47 AM PDT
Tyrpha says:
Yea, this is a retarded point. When the ps2 came out flash memory actually warranted the price sony was charging. Today that's not the case. Also MS price gouging on hdd's really has nothing to do with anything. That's like saying in essence "Microsoft rips you off on internal storage, so its ok for sony to do so." However the old add-age "2 negatives don't make a positive" (obvious smart-ass trolls with comments about math aside), and 1 bad thing shouldn't ever be used to rationalize another one. Also people on here doing the 360 comparison forgot to mention that Microsoft now allows you to use any fat32 usb for usb storage up to 32gb, using 2 devices that's 64gb all without spending a dime on overpriced Microsoft crap.

People making even older comparisons fail even more cause, like most people on here said, cost of storage goes down with time, not up.
For example a point by point tear down of a post making poor justifications based on 360:
"add up all the money you pay for the hard drive, (we covered the hdd already) wifi adapter(everyone makes this comparison but always fail to mention the 20gb ps3 at launch which had no wifi at all, and no way to add it for the same price as the 20gb 360) batteries for the controller (im just gonna lol on this one) an xbox live subscription (optional and lets face it PSN's free offereing isnt all that great and even sony fanbois admit it) and the hd-dvd add on (if you got suckered into that one)..." (which fyi wasn't actually a bad deal, when comparible HD-DVD players were on sale for $300+ the xbox's $180 addon was a great deal, we are talking about a video game console, not a dedicated media player after all)

"Have you guys noticed the REVIEWS of the card? All 1-star ratings are about "how overpriced" the item is, yet not a single word of how its undeveloped or if it doesn't work properly. I don't own a large card but this is absurd just to low the rating of an Item? Some people =/ " Yes there are comments about how under-developed it is, with it being roughly = to class 4 microSD this means the card is actually costing ~4x what it should, and as such 1-star reviews are warrented.

At the end of the day, nothing will change unless people simply wake up and refuse to be ripped off. Luckily this is happening with vita, thank god.

Sony!, you no longer get to be anti-consumer, now you're at our mercy.

(speaking about sony's dire financial state, with regards to credit rating downgrades, huge operating losses in the billions for 4 years running, and the latest "God of War" failing to sell its needed numbers.)

It's about time.

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 5:16:12 PM PDT
Fani says:
Why do people get the idea that just because you're continuously abused you should bear it and not complain.
People have to complain and vote with wallets and send a clear message. It works to send negative feedback.

Case in point - Sony PS4 reveal vs Xbox One console. Look at the positive pr Sony is getting because they're not doing the stupid things ms are doing
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (462)