A respectful comment - about God indeed being real

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2009 1:31:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 1:59:02 PM PST
J. Hogsett says:
I am very sorry that the author has become an atheist. I used to be an atheist and thought that religious people were fools and quite ignorant, so I understand where atheists are coming from. I investigated the evidence for myself, very skeptically, because I was not about to jump into something that I had always regarded as foolish on someone else's "say so", unless I had absolute proof that God was real. I found absolute proof. I became a Christian, 15 years ago.

I must comment on one thing that the author said because I don't want people to give up on a belief in God because they aren't given all of the information. He said this: that one of the reasons that he rejected Christianity was because of the lack of caring Christians. How sad that many Christians are lacking in love. However, I must clearly emphasize that Christians who are lacking in love are not obeying what God very clearly instructs them to do in the Bible. A Christian who is lacking in love is not living the Christian life that God asks of him. Let me emphasize, also, that each one of us are free agents. God has given man-kind free will. We can choose to do good things or to do bad things. People make bad choices, but that doesn't mean that God isn't good or isn't real. Don't look at the Christians who are disobeying; take a real, close look at their God. An important thing to mention here is that there are actually Christians who are living their lives according to what God says in the Bible. (I don't mean they are always perfect, but you will know one when you see one!)They are acting in love toward their fellow man, showing compassion, and being sensitive to others. A Christian who is actually obeying what God says to do in the Bible looks very different from a Christian who does not know what his Bible even says because he does not read it, or who just chooses his own way (being a jerk to others, for example) and does not follow its instructions (i.e. to love your husband or your wife as yourself, to love your children, to love your neighbor, your friend, your enemy, those who make mistakes, whoever it is. God says in the Bible that we are to love all people, no matter what). So, Christians who are not following the Biblical instructions are not Christians that anyone should look to for spiritual insight or proof of God's existence. They are a poor example.

****************************************************************************************** Here's the key: Find those Christians who are actually following God's instructions. There will be proof of God's existence with them.
I challenge anyone reading this to ask God to show you whether or not He is real (in sincerity, of course, if you really do want to know). Ask Him to help you, if He is really real, to find Christians who are truly living the Christian life the way the Bible teaches. (Not a big deal if He's real.) If God is not real, then nothing will happen. If He is real, then He will let you know that He is real!
******************************************************************************************

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 8:24:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 9, 2011 9:21:35 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 9:18:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2010 9:19:20 PM PST
LTSpike says:
"J. Hogsett says: "I became a Christian, 15 years ago."
"Then you never were an atheist. "

I think you mean "Then you were never a true closed-minded idiot" It seems he would know whether or not he was an atheist. It's not a position requiring much thought or intelligence and is very easy to define. Ironically, it requires a much greater leap of faith than Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, or pretty much any other belief system. I think this is why they fight so hard to defend it - they realize how weak of a position it is and lash out at rationality, as it quickly shatters their position. Analyst's reasoning skills must be an example of that "atheist logic" I keep hearing about. I'm still trying to figure it out, but it is so different than standard logic, that teaches how to construct a good argument, that it's incomprehensible to a rational person. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of books on standard logic in the market, but I haven't run across one on atheist logic. All atheists I've heard from (which is of course not all that are out there so I admit smart ones could exisit in theory) just skip the argument altogether and just use their result as the premise, going from that loaded premise to the result again. Simple! It's amazing how strongly they can claim logic and rationality when their whole view is based solely on circular reasoning. It's kind of funny, actually :-) Congrats to J. Hogsett on breaking out of that empty mindset!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 10:35:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 9, 2011 9:23:45 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Why I Rejected Christianity: A Former Apologist Explains
Why I Rejected Christianity: A Former Apologist Explains by John W. Loftus (Paperback - January 4, 2007)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (34)