Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2005 11:20:43 AM PST
rs says:
I stopped reading the series in the middle of book eight. The story was getting tedious and I couldn't justify the time investment with ? payoff.
Can I jump back in at book 11 and not be totally lost?
Is there a good reason for me to jump back in ?
Should I bother finishing books 8/9/10 ?

Thanks for the feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2005 6:28:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2005 6:29:08 PM PST
If you have not read books 8/9/10 you should not read book 11 as book 11 resolves the threads that were introduced in these previous books. If you do not know about them you will definitely feel lost. My sugestion would be (if you have not read the series since book 8) to wait untill the final book 12 is out and then read 8/9/10/11/12 in a row. You will enjoy the story more that way and you will not have to wait for 3 years for book 12 to come out so that you can finish the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2005 12:47:54 PM PST
Don't bother reading them here is all you need to know:

Rand cleansed saidin and no one cares

Faile got kidnapped, and perrin spent hundreds of pages whining

Mat snuck out of ebou dar with some aes sedai and Tuon, but only brought her because she is the daughter of the nine moons, sad how mat is easily controlled eh?

The only thing in book 10 that happens is that egwene gets captured by the white tower. Yes, you read that right, yet another kidnapping. Apparantly that is all Jordan knows how to do it try and generate excitement. Too bad we all know she is in no danger and will escape without having to read more.

That is really it. Nothing else is of consequence, unless you are one of those poor souls that think that endless description, spankings and tea parties are important.

books 8 and 9 are fairly painful, but still readable, so read that if you wish, but don't bother reading #10, you know everything you need to know and Jordan deserves to be beaten severely for that pile of feces so don't give him any money for that book, or waste your life on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2006 8:52:18 AM PST
I have to agree with you, on most points, Moi. But I do have to say that book 11 is MUCH better than the previous 3-4 books, and I don't think book 10 can count as a book. Book 11 is good enough to warrant reading all of the previous books EXCEPT book 10. Moi is right, there is NO reason to EVER read that book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2006 1:43:50 PM PST
M. Pauley says:
THANK YOU!!! I was so angry that Jordan swindled me out of $30 for that *&%$ book 10. NOTHING happend in that book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2006 2:17:17 PM PDT
Well, he's not getting beaten severely, but he is really ill with a rare disease and might not be able to finish the series. I hope you are all happy now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2006 4:09:44 AM PDT
"Rand cleansed saidin and no one cares"

Isn't that the great mystery of this series. Fantastic! And what happens? Nothing, what.. 2,3, volumes of nothing. This "epic fantasy" is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2006 9:31:05 AM PST
Portnoy says:
I also gave up a couple of books ago. (it may have been book after book 9.

Is there a web site that recaps the stories? I seem to remember one that went chapter by chapter and was very helpful when starting a new book after a long hiatus.

I'm sorry to hear of Jordans illness. I truly enjoyed the beginning of this series, but honestly, I don't want to have to start all over again just to catch up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2006 10:20:21 PM PST
Carl Lim says:
Here are some:

http://www.wotmania.com/chaptersummaries.asp
http://www.ece.umd.edu/~dilli/WOT/WOTindex/book.html
http://hem.passagen.se/wotcomp/

If the above are too wordy, try this:
http://www.lifestyle-movement.org.uk/WheelofTime/summaries.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2006 10:03:51 AM PST
GoodRead65 says:
I recommend you treat the WoT series like you would a heroin addiction. Sure, in the beginning it was awesome, but as time went on it lost its shine, to the point where you decided to quit...like heroin, why would you want to start up again?

Here are my reasons for quitting the series:
A. Eleven 500+ page books with no end in sight.
B. A Prequel book published BEFORE the series finished.
C. There are, apparently, several books with nary a mention of a main character. I quit after Mat Cauthon was buried under a wall at the end of one book then not mentioned at all in the next book.
D. A cast of "main" characters whose number rival that of a small country's, and the list seems to grow with each new book.

Jordan is a talented writer; I won't take that away from him, the initial books in the series are some of the best I've ever read. However, letting the world he created get out of control marks him as a flawed *storyteller*. My honest recommendation would be to wait until (if) the series ends THEN consider picking it up again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007 9:41:37 PM PDT
I find it slightly hard to read when the main character (rand) is never mentioned and when he is he's usually obsessing over his harem (Elayne, Min and aviendha)or sitting around generally being the sociopath

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 8:14:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2008 8:15:22 PM PDT
TO moi: To be honest, I am surprised by your "kind" critique of Jordan's writing. Perhaps, your writing is much better than Jordan's writing, and if it is then why do you not submit it for publication?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 8:34:16 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Moi wrote that three years ago.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 3:03:08 PM PDT
"TO moi: To be honest, I am surprised by your "kind" critique of Jordan's writing. Perhaps, your writing is much better than Jordan's writing, and if it is then why do you not submit it for publication?"

If Jordan had submitted Crossroads as his first book, he'd never have gotten published.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2009 4:49:09 PM PDT
Joe W says:
It would have been a very confusing first book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2005
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, Book 11)
Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, Book 11) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - October 11, 2005)
3.6 out of 5 stars (795)