reusable k cup leaks I use regular folgers coffee in my Keurig. Every time I try it, water leaks up and over the filter and out of the front. What am i doing wrong? the reg. k cups work great, but too $$$. I want to make other coffee brands without all the leaking.
asked by Zachary Dierks on December 30, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 436 answers
A
POSSIBLE FIX!!!!!!
Hey everyone! I just tried something and it worked like a charm. I have had a leaky my k-cup since I got my machine at Christmas. It's been tolerable, but I know it isn't the way it's supposed to be, and it makes dreadfully weak coffee. Please give this trick a try and let me know if it works for you.
The needle that typically punctures the top of a k-cup sits in the center and it's what sends water through your my k-cup opening at the top. Around this needle, you will find a rubber gasket which would make a seal around the k-cup. This gasket will slide right off, if you pull on it a bit. But, mine was pushed far up on the needle and clearly wasn't making a tight seal. So, what I did was, pull it off the needle, take about 4 washers with a hole big enough to fit around the needle (about 1/4 inch in height) hold them in place over the needle, then replace the rubber gasket, holding the washers in place towards the top. What this does is push the rubber gasket down tightly against the my k-cup lid and no water leaks out. I just made the best cup of coffee using Dunkin Donuts coffee. It took a little longer to make the coffee because it took longer to 'push' the water through, but I guess the machine has a pressure guage and knows how to pump the water through in order to brew correctly. I've used an entire jumbo bag of this coffee from Sams Club, and now that I'm to the bottom of it, I figured this out. I guess it's time to go buy more coffee! :)

NOTE: the needle is sharp, so be careful doing this.

If you have questions, please reply and I'll try to clarify.
I hope this works for all of you!
S. Mattus answered on February 7, 2009
Comment | 99 of 99 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mine leaks, too! It's pretty annoying. I bought 3 of these things in anticipation of it breaking like all of the posts say it will. I can't figure it out. I'm not even putting very much coffee in it and the cap is securely tightened, but it still leaks out the top and down the die of my machine into the drip tray.
Mark Twain Sam answered on January 1, 2009
Comments (3) | 18 of 18 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner !!! I took an ordinary wine cork, and sliced about an 1/8" thick circle off it. I then made a small hole in the middle with an awl. I didn't make the hole too big because I figured the needle would do all the work. I wanted to make sure there was a starter hole so the needle wouldn't break little chunks of cork off into the coffee. Anyway, the wine cork fit perfectly into the depression on top of the My K-Cup lid. I put it in the brewer, closed it up, and it performed perfectly. There was no leaking at all. it worked exactly the same as a regular K-cup. Thanks to all who came up with the ideas to improve the seal around the needle. Maybe Keurig will change the design of the lid of the My K-Cup to include a permanent soft washer.
marquis answered on February 9, 2009
Comments (2) | 72 of 72 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Add me to the growing list of people with leaking problems using the My K-Cup reusable coffee filter. I also use the Folgers, as well as the Dunkin Donuts, and it leaks up and over the filter and makes a mess. I emailed Keuring to express my extreme disappointment with this product.
marquis answered on January 10, 2009
Comment | 17 of 18 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I found that my reusable K cup filter leaks also and may have come up with a solution to the problem. This has worked for me the last two times I have made coffee. Before I put the cap on the k cup I covered it with foil. This stopped the water from leaking up and over the filter and there were no coffee grounds in my cup. Hope it works for you. If this contines to work for me, I will be keeping my Keurig instead of returning it.
A. Brough answered on January 24, 2009
Comment | 26 of 26 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mine does NOT leak. I do not fill it to the top though. I fill it up to (and no more) 3/16 of an inch to the top, THEN you need to make a depression at the center for the grounds. This way when you place your lid on (and it doesn't need to be muscle tight) you can see down the top hole... no grounds. There needs to be a clear path for the water to get inside past the entry hole for saturation to begin. Otherwise the pressure of the water has no room to soak into the grounds at the speed of the water. It just comes right out over the lid. I know this because it NEVER leaks out for me, but when my son packed the filter to the top, it leaked back out. I was surprised! I said "what did you do?" He said "oops!"
If you have been allowing room at the top, then I guess you do have a grumpy brewer.
Hope my reply helps someone.
Smart Girl answered on January 25, 2009
Comment (1) | 32 of 35 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just tried your foil idea. I cant get it to work. i made a foil cap over the filter and then put the filter in the filter container. The lit of my filter container has 3 tabs on the inside that punch holes in the foil. Is this how you did it? we all need to email keurig and include a link to this post. they might notice us then.

I just sent Keurig this email. If we all send one then maybe they will notice us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Keurig,

I am having a problem with my reusable Kcup. It is causing a leaking problem. Water seems to be going up and over the filter and dripping down the side of the machine.

Please respond with information about what you are doing to fix this situation.

I have started an amazon.com discussion about this issue. Many others are having the same problem as i am.

http://www.amazon.com/reusable-k-cup-leaks/forum/Fx3OM1K6B664VP0/Tx2TDRJ82Z1KGAR/1/ref=cm_cd_et_up_redir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000DLB2FI&newContentID=Mx85ZVQGH3P9CS#Mx3W3H8RIHVHQ1M

Please do not reply with an automated email, or send me the link on how to properly assemble my Kcup.

I really enjoy your product but this design flaw is very frustrating. My frustration with your product may lead me to purchase another competing brand, or review your product unfavorably to family, friends, or the online community.

I look forward to your prompt reply,

Zach Dierks
Zachary Dierks answered on January 25, 2009
Comments (2) | 15 of 15 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am in the same boat...same exact thing with my Ultimate...I however, DO NOT think that this is a k-cup reusable problem, but the machine itself. My friends works perfect on his machine, he brought it over and it didnt work on mine. I called Keurig and they are calling me back...I think it is faulty machinery and maybe something to do with the needle placement.
James Davies answered on January 17, 2009
Comment | 12 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wow. Thanks so much for your input. Please let us know what they have to say. This puts a whole new light on the matter. We wondered why some people seem so pleased with the reusable filter, and some have this leaking problem. Your analysis would explain that. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing Keurig's answer.
marquis answered on January 17, 2009
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just received a replacement My K-cup from Keurig. It still leaks. This one is the gray plastic instead of the brown plastic of my first one. However, it performs only slightly better. There's still too much leakage, and the second half of the brew gives me almost all water resulting in weak coffee. I don't fill the coffee to the top. As a matter of fact, it's filled no more than 2/3. I also tried making the depression in the middle and it still leaks and makes weak coffee. I opened a K-cup and compared the grounds to my Folgers grounds. The Folgers are a coarser grind so that should not present a problem. What seems to happen is that the brew starts out okay. But halfway through, the leaking starts and I get mostly water through the center hole also. Checking the basket, I can see the grounds have not been saturated. Some of the water runs right through, and some leaks over the top. But a lot of the grounds against the sides of the basket are still dry, so it's no wonder the coffee is weak. I DO NOT tamp the coffee down when I put it in the basket. I have no idea why these things work so well for some people, and not for others. By the way, we tried using the Dunkin Donuts coffee with the same bad results. I've given up trying to use my own coffee. Quite honestly, I won't recommend the Keurig brewers to anyone thinking they will use their own coffee. The My K-cup is just too way hit or miss.
marquis answered on February 3, 2009
Comment | 13 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   44   Next ›