Most helpful positive review
363 of 368 people found the following review helpful
Great Quality + Fast Color Printing, but a "Toner Hog"
on November 30, 2010
The Brother HL4570cdw is a fantastic printer for everyday and office use. This is my first Brother purchase. I'm using it to print out full colored brochures (graphics, photos, and text). So far it's been more than adequate when using the appropriate paper i.e. glossy paper. When on regular paper, the colors are not as sharp and pictures are not as clear. For photos, the resolution quality is acceptable/good, but there is a noticeable difference in quality from a print shop and a heavy duty office printer (you know the 5 foot jumbo printers).
As for print speeds, from start to finish it prints at an above average pace. The spooling process is quick (less than 2 minutes) for a 80 mb print job. It printed a 60 page, full color (vivid mode), double sided booklet in about 8-10 minutes.
- Easy printer and wireless Setup (less than 5 minutes).
- Good print speeds (auto-duplex and straight printing).
- Excellent print quality for general graphics and text.
- Good photo quality when using the right paper.
- Acceptable noise level for a printer
- Toner replacements are cheaper than HPs, Lexmark, and Canon.
- Printer reads toner as empty when full. You must do the toner trick which involves covering the clear holes with black electric tape on the toner cartridges as a temporary solution. For a more permanent solution, you need to reset the computerized toner levels on the printer. You do this by 1) Opening the printer door 2) Holding Back and Cancel at the same time 3) A menu to reset the toners pops up 4) You hit Okay to reset.
- I printed approximately 900 full color pages with the "starter" cartridges it came and some cartridges are already visibly running low. While the prints were on the high color (vivid) settings, it is a shame that this printer appears to be another "toner hog" and did not print to the 3000/1500 page estimates the cartridges claim.
- Photo prints are poor when printing full sized photos on regular paper. For best printing results you need to use specialized glossy paper.
- Must use "multi-purpose" pullout feeder tray for specialized paper or else risk paper jams
- Very slight paper curl
- Noise level maybe too loud for a quiet office space.
I compared the Brother HL-4570cdw's print quality extensively with HPs and Canon color lasers in this price range, and the Brother printed out more impressive looking demo prints than its competitors. The print quality is enough to merit the purchase of this printer and because the toner replacements are relatively cheaper than other companies the Brother HL-4570cdw receives my recommendation.
Overall, I'm happy with this purchase and would recommend it if you get it for the right price. I would not pay more than $400-$425 for this machine which is the price I paid.