1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work on Win7 64-bit, XP Pro, or Vista, December 13, 2009
This review is from: Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner For Notebook (Personal Computers)
My review was mysteriously never posted the first time, hmm... trying again.

I've seen reviews on other sites that say if it didn't work the person just didn't know what they were doing. I'm a system administrator, not just a typical user, so trust me when I say I tried everything I could think of to get this to work on 3 different machines. The first machine I tried was Win7 64-bit, 1 gig ATI graphics card (with latest drivers), and 6 gigs of ram. I tried installing using the CD and the updated software on the website - which at the time was 1.2b, 1.2c came out after I had initiated the return. I also tried just plugging it in and hoping Windows Media Center would detect it like I saw in other reviews - no luck. Using the vendors software, it froze when searching for channels. I even left it on over night (8+ hrs) thinking I didn't give it enough time, but it didn't matter. Each time I tried a different way of installing it I used the cleaning utility on the CD to start from scratch.

The second computer I tried was Windows XP Pro, 512mb nvidia graphics card (latest drivers), 2 gigs of ram. I had the same exact problem, it froze when searching for channels. The third computer I tried it on was my Vista laptop, same problem and Windows Media Center could not detect the tuner just like Windows 7.

On all three computers I used the cleanup utility between installations to make sure I wasn't simply installing on top of itself. The lights on the tuner were on indicating that the computer detected it (also showed up in device manager) and that it had a decent signal. I forgot to mention that I tried using the Windows Media Center Installation file that Hauppauge provides on their website, obviously that didn't work either.

As a last resort I reformatted my Windows 7 machine thinking (and hoping) that maybe something I had on there was conflicting with the tuner in some way. I did not install a single thing before trying it on the clean install, but I had the same problem.

Also, be warned that Hauppauge customer service is ridiculously horrible. I tried contacting them before returning the tuner. It took them 5 business days to reply to my first email and all the response said was "Are you connecting anything between the unit and the pc (included extension usb hub etc)?" I responded the same day and it took another 4 business days for this response from them "Can you give me more information on the pc you are using? Do you have another pc you can try the unit on?" Granted, I should have given them the specs to my computer in the first email. But coming from a customer service/tech support background, the response time alone is terrible and the one sentence responses are mind blowing. They should have combined those emails into the first response and gotten it to me within the 48 hr response time that I swear I saw on their website. If I responded like that at my tech support job of 4 yrs I would've been in a lot of trouble.

Needless to say, do your homework by reading both positive and negative reviews. Also check out other sites to read their reviews. I did and was hoping I'd be on the positive side, sadly I was not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2010 1:31:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2010 1:32:37 AM PST
Thomas says:
I've used this consistently for over a year and mine has worked like a champ through a 5 year old Thinkpad T30 with XP Pro using generic video drivers and a broken memory slot which leaves it with 512 meg instead of 1024. It also worked on my Vista 64, my wifes Vista 32 and now my Windows 7 laptop and desktop, both 32. The desktop is an old Pentium 4.3 with 1024 and a cheap unknown video card, again with generic drivers. This is also the same stick through all. I think you mean re-install Windows 7 and not re-format. I don't understand why you would go through all the trouble of re-installing when you could have just turned things off one at a time? How would a re-install eliminate whatever is conflicting? I've never tried it with Media Center because I don't use it, so I can't comment on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2010 11:19:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2010 11:26:13 AM PST
J. Pritchard says:
No, I did not mean reinstall. I reformatted. It isn't a huge deal for me to reformat and reinstall. It doesn't take me that much time. I was eliminating any possible conflict from anything I may have installed before. Just uninstalling still leaves bits and pieces of whatever was installed behind. This way I had a clean slate and if it doesn't work with that then it won't work, period. What could I have turned off that would have made a difference on all 3 machines that have completely different hardware and different operating systems? Given that I had the exact same problem on 3 completely different machines, I probably had a bad tuner. But that was my experience, I'm glad yours works for you without any problems.

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 6:30:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2010 6:32:20 PM PDT
I had the exact same issues as J. Pritchard. I used two completely different operating systems in 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode (XP and Win7). My machine is MORE than capable of running this component as it was overbuilt for gaming and I have over 28 years of experience working with computers. And I'm running two VERY HIGH quality video cards in SLI and even tried it without SLI using only one card.
This USB add on is JUNK!
I first tried their HVR 850 stick and then took that back to Radio Shack and instead got an HVR 950Q and it has the exact same problems.
In other words I spent well over 40 hours trying to get this POS to give me at least Antenna quality TV and it failed miserably.

At best I get a rolling screen constantly, poor pixel quality, and a complete program lock-up after about 4-6 minutes (same as the 850 model).

A re-install would eliminate conflicts that could be unknown W. Thomas. Windows doesn't have the best conflict resolution history through out there OS's in case you weren't aware. Remember the horror of Plug n Play until Windows XP?
I absolutely would not recommend anyone waste their money on this product. At best it's a hit or miss proposition and for what they cost it's not worth the time or the money in my opinion.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 9:23:19 PM PDT
Just as an additional perspective, I've been using this for over 6 months now. It mostly sits behind my computer plugged into Charter Cable. However I've had it plugged into both my desktop and my laptop. It works on both flawlessly. My desktop is Windows 7 64-bit. My laptop was originally Vista 32-bit, but it was upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit and it worked with both of those OS's.

On both computers I simply plugged it in and Windows automatically configured it for me. I never installed the software it came with and just used Media Center.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 5:39:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2010 5:40:49 AM PDT
Zook says:
I've got a laptop running Win7 x64 bit, should I stay away from this tuner and if so do you have another suggestion?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 6:53:01 AM PDT
I've had only good experiences. This tuner has worked without any trouble on every computer I've plugged it in to. It was autoconfigured and ready to use in Media Center without any configuration at all on my part (other than the standard channel scanning in Media Center).

I personally I highly recommend it and I've seriously been considering buying a second.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 7:32:06 AM PDT
Zook says:

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 12:50:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2010 12:52:57 PM PST
Lexy Bourne says:
It sounds to me that it's hit or miss with this tuner. It either works or it doesn't. People who get a working one seem to be happy. On the flipside, sounds like Hauppauge is sending out a lot of lemons... apparently their quality control is as good as their customer service. For anyone considering buying this product, I would suggest making sure to buy from a reputable retailer where you can return without fees if yours doesn't work. I'd also only purchase knowing there's a good chance it won't work and don't spend too much time trying to troubleshoot if you can't get it to work. Based on others reviews, it will either work out of the box, or it won't work at all.

I bought this tuner and had many of the same issues as J. Pritchard had. I returned it and ended up buying a PCI-E card from Hauppauge that works great. But that isn't very helpful if you're wanting something for a laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 12:25:30 PM PDT
Very constructive comments! As I was going down the page, I started to wonder if anyone simply took back their "non-working" item to the store, so I was glad to read your comments. It really does seem to be hit or miss with this, an important point to note especially for people who are thinking of purchasing it online. I think I will look into other options for this until I can get to a brick and mortar store with a penalty-free return policy. Thanks for your comments!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (470 customer reviews)

$99.99 $68.49